PDA

View Full Version : Why twink?

Paw
02-19-2018, 01:27 PM
Recently i have seen a lot of threads regarding twinking and PvP in general. As someone who has been doing low level twinking for most of my AL career and recently gone to endgame for reasons which i will post later in this thread i find it curious why people still twink at lower levels

Everything i will be posting is just my opinion and in no way is ment to offend anyone who has twinked or currently still is twinking at lower levels

My twinking experience goes all the way back to when levels 7-10 were probably the most active PvP brackets. Those days for me were the best in terms of twinking. Everything was balanced and clashes lasted a reasonable amount of time without being too long. All classes were useful and balanced at those levels and teamwork was the difference between a win or a loss.

Gear was reletively cheap until the introduction of Para gems and did create a bit of a gap between the rich and the poor but there were still many players who did reletively well even without them. Things like the icescale set and para gems did give an advantage at lower levels but didnt make it impossible to play without. Was just a nice advantage to have them items. Wasnt the be all and end all.

What made me quit those levels was the introduction of the armor pets, pet animancy and awakenings. It was a great introduction for endgame PvP and PvE but IMO that was when twinking became impossible. The damage output compared to the armor and health stats lost their balance. Tanks with 1.5k armor at level 10 just became impossible to kill. The last straw for me was when we did a 10 v 10 guildbattle. 10 minuites and my team won 1-0. Yes only 1 person died in a full 10v10

As ive stated in a previous thread, i feel the armor bonus from pets and awakenings should only have applied to higher levels or just been % based as lower levels have lower armor for the % to work off.

Going back to the *initial question. Why twink? I have a few personal suggestions from my own experience. Some of which are good and some which may raise a few eyebrows. For me the main reasons are as follows

Twinking is cheaper and the gap between the best and the rest isnt too big. For me this is one of the main reasons i think a lot of people prefer to stay low level

Ping also isnt such a big game changer as it is in endgame as its not a 1 hit. At endgame the split seconds make too much of a difference in PvP

It was easier to get friends involved back then. I had many IRL friends who i got into the game as it was a days work to get them to level 10 and moderately gear them up. Once they experience the fun of PvP they are hooked .These days its almost impossible to get friends n family involved mainly because theres a 10 day wait before they can buy anything or even be gifted items and enjoy the experience and they give up.

Also lets not ignore the elephants in the room. As im saying i am not here to offend anyone and im sorry if i do. But there was a lot of dummy farming and free flagging going on at these low levels. Simply put its easier to level an alt to level 10 to help get kills and open rooms for flagging than it is to level an alt to 66 for the same reasons. Nothing more to add on that matter.

*These are the main reasons i think people used to twink and also the main reasons why people dont anymore. Id like to hear other peoples views on why they still twink or why they feel they cant anymore. Sorry for the long post and thank you

Lethoiun
02-19-2018, 02:11 PM
I started thinking at a lvl 17 rogue, was moderately geared and okay pets but still was able to twink. I then seitched to mage lvl 18 and played with a guild for about 2 years. I really miss these days because it was fair and fun even tho I didn't have the best gear I was okay in clashes and made warmonger which I worked hard for. 5v5 were the best thing in ctf where you worked as a team and timed things carefully to win.

Over the last year I keep trying to return to pvp at various lvls. Tried endgame but I don't like higher lvls. I started looking at lvl 10-14-24 but they all did not feel right. In lvl 14 rogues could go 1v3 and not die. I played a rouge and tried to reach the high armor. I was able to sometimes kill a rogue but never a war. We would run out of Mana and have over 100 % health. The only way to kill was if you did no heal fights which I don't like. Back in 18 rogues did heal fights and it was just so much better.

But now I'm a endgame player, and I save all my gold with nothing really to save or spend on. I definitely miss the twink days and would love for it to return as it once was.

Screenshotz
02-19-2018, 02:28 PM
To keep it simple, awakenings ruined it for me. Also a bunch of other stuff, but mostly awakenings. I’ve said this on numerous threads so people probably already know. Trying to kill a 1.7k+ armor player at low lvl is a waste of time. I would rather play PvE all day.

Paw
02-19-2018, 04:02 PM
Ive noticed myself that the armor seems to be the biggest issues at low levels. Maybe a damage modifier in PvP which gradually decreses as you level up would be a viable way to fix this if possible. Also the stacking of pet armor and awakenings is a bit too much. Maybe removing animancy at the lower levels is a step in the right direction.

I still see a lot of low level twinks in game. Just curious as to what keeps them at the lower levels when PvP is inactive? Is it the amount they have invested already? The nostalgia? Do they have alts at endgame and keep the twinks in the hope that their bracket will become active again oneday? Is leveling too tedious?

Paw
02-19-2018, 04:21 PM
Something that really bugs me to this day and maybe a dev can explain why it was implemented to be this way. Why were Ctf maps made so that they lock when the score reaches a certain amount. Think it was 4-4. It just gave dummy farmers all the time in the world to lock a room to themselves and farm away as they wish. Surely if this method was scrapped it would make it harder for dummy farming to take place.

Why i mention this is because i feel removing the leaderboards had a huge impact on PvP in general

Screenshotz
02-19-2018, 04:26 PM
Ive noticed myself that the armor seems to be the biggest issues at low levels. Maybe a damage modifier in PvP which gradually decreses as you level up would be a viable way to fix this if possible. Also the stacking of pet armor and awakenings is a bit too much. Maybe removing animancy at the lower levels is a step in the right direction.

I still see a lot of low level twinks in game. Just curious as to what keeps them at the lower levels when PvP is inactive? Is it the amount they have invested already? The nostalgia? Do they have alts at endgame and keep the twinks in the hope that their bracket will become active again oneday? Is leveling too tedious?

“Is it the amount they have invested already?”

Definetely not, people still invest gold into gear. Most of them are rich too.

“The nostalgia?”

Maybe

“Do they have alts at endgame and keep the twinks in hope that their bracket will become active again one day?”

Most likely, I play endgame but I still keep my twinks at low level.

“Is leveling too tedious?”

Don’t think so, I’ve seen multiple low level twinks level up to either another pvp lvl or endgame.

My personal take on why they still play low level: They like to be un-killable, and/or they like to dummy farm.

devilMors
02-19-2018, 05:15 PM
Everything has a begining has an end. RIP twink.

Paw
02-19-2018, 07:30 PM
Heard somewhere that doing polls on forum isnt allowed unless its by STS but would really love to see how many people would like a CTF map where awakenings and animancy dont apply. That alone would revive low level twinking overnight in my opinion without STS having to put too much effort into implementing new ideas and using up resources. Would love to see how that works at endgame too.