PDA

View Full Version : Chat Logs?

Ofaanacan
02-22-2018, 06:19 AM
Does STS keep chats and messages? If you do I would love to read mine.

Tippertwo
02-22-2018, 06:59 AM
Does STS keep chats and messages? If you do I would love to read mine.
What do you mean? Do you mean the pms you send to them?

Azerothraven
02-22-2018, 07:04 AM
Yesi think everything is logged including log in details, time/time zone, device ID, Location and messages, purchases, offers etc. Only thing I know is not logged is number of hours logged played.

However sts will not disclose this information as far as I can see due to security reasons and the amount of time this would take.

im jeff
02-22-2018, 09:59 AM
Just think, there are MILLIONS of players that play this game and they have every thing that everyone has done saved into a console. Lol u think 15 GB of data is a lot? Think how much is saved in data, I say its in the terabytes. Over 100million sentences over 10million trades, over 10 million IP addresses.

Ofaanacan
02-22-2018, 01:32 PM
What reason would they have to keep a record of EVERYTHING you say? PM, marching in town, guild chat etc.
How would it benefit STS? What is the motivation to keep such a record? Are there local, federal or international laws requiring companies to keep track of all in-game communications between players similar to email retention laws?
Its not hard to see the benefit of tracking other metrics locatio, time spent playing etc. But chat logs?
Anyway like I said i would absolutely love to read through my old chats and PM.

Paw
02-22-2018, 01:35 PM
Just think, there are MILLIONS of players that play this game and they have every thing that everyone has done saved into a console. Lol u think 15 GB of data is a lot? Think how much is saved in data, I say its in the terabytes. Over 100million sentences over 10million trades, over 10 million IP addresses.

10million ip adresses? And i thought i liked to exaggerate a lot. :D

Ofaanacan
02-22-2018, 02:56 PM
10million ip adresses? And i thought i liked to exaggerate a lot. :DI assume he got that number from the play store which states that AL been downloaded 10,000,000 times. That's just downloads not players active or not. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180222/8d962d5995e1d28be53abb24662ddde5.jpg

Sent from my LG-K330 using Tapatalk

im jeff
02-22-2018, 03:14 PM
What reason would they have to keep a record of EVERYTHING you say? PM, marching in town, guild chat etc.
How would it benefit STS? What is the motivation to keep such a record? Are there local, federal or international laws requiring companies to keep track of all in-game communications between players similar to email retention laws?
Its not hard to see the benefit of tracking other metrics locatio, time spent playing etc. But chat logs?
Anyway like I said i would absolutely love to read through my old chats and PM.

Yes, this is for special reasons, Acc Bans, Illegal messages, and more. What if someone discusses something like a murder they did in rl. They can give that IP address to the police and the police will track them down and arrest that person for murder. (just an example) plus ipaddresses are for IP Bans. Im a hacker, I know a lot about the internet and what people do :). Hope this helps explain.

Justg
02-22-2018, 03:16 PM
We log everything. So be nice!

im jeff
02-22-2018, 03:17 PM

Ill be nice ;) I will do very bad things like kill enemies lol.

3pc
02-22-2018, 04:09 PM

Justg your mailbox is full xd

Justg
02-22-2018, 04:49 PM
Justg your mailbox is full xd

And it has been so peaceful for me!

3pc
02-22-2018, 05:23 PM
And it has been so peaceful for me!

But i have important pms!

Tippertwo
02-22-2018, 05:46 PM
But i have important pms!
Doesnt everybody? ;)

Ofaanacan
02-22-2018, 06:29 PM
We log everything.

Thank you for answering. May i ask the reasoning behind the decision to "log everything"?

PsychoNuke
02-22-2018, 08:05 PM
Thank you for answering. May i ask the reasoning behind the decision to "log everything"?

There are many reasons, mostly litigation. So play nice :)

Ofaanacan
02-22-2018, 09:50 PM
There are many reasons, mostly litigation.

I appreciate that you are trying to help but I am more interested in hearing the reason from someone who was part of the decision making process. ☺
FWIW I hear your theory re: mitigating risk of litigation - seems reasonable enough albeit a tab specious perhaps.

Since we are just guessing here I would think it would just be a good form to keep a log for future user base issues (eg abuse, harassment, scamming etc).
But without hearing from someone with first hand knowledge all we can do is speculate.
Your ball JustG.
Been wanting to ask this for over 2 years. Glad I asked.

Suentous PO
02-22-2018, 10:17 PM
Doesnt everybody? ;)

No lol, I've pm'd a dev less than 5 times in a few years & usually it's to say ty

No need to care, right?

Since we are just guessing here I would think it would just be a good form to keep a log for future user base issues (eg abuse, harassment, scamming etc).
But without hearing from someone with first hand knowledge all we can do is speculate

No need to speculate when you already see ample reason, as shown in your quote. "Abuse, harassment, scamming, ect."

Azerothraven
02-22-2018, 10:34 PM
No need to speculate when you already see ample reason, as shown in your quote. "Abuse, harassment, scamming, ect."

Not everyone likes to use their common sense

Ofaanacan
02-22-2018, 11:34 PM
Thank you for your response.
It's not as much a matter of common sense (or lack thereof) as much as it is a matter of simply preferring factual info over speculation and guesswork.

Would you rather look up a diagnosis with webMD or have a Dr diagnose you?
If your cool with webMD that's cool. I just don't roll that way. And that's ok too.