PDA

View Full Version : RL Earthquakes

Nick41324
11-05-2011, 11:50 PM
Not sure if this has happened to you at all recently but... In Oklahoma we NEVER have earth quakes what so ever. We have had earth quakes two nights in a row (almost the same time) and it's progressively getting worse. First night was a 5.5 on the earthquake scale and that was nothing compared to the one we just had. About 10 mins ago we had another earth quake, the power went out, and there was a big explosion outside.

What does it mean when you have reoccurring earthquakes and it gets worse each time?

BTW: I live in Tulsa, OK if that helps at all.

Unmillione
11-05-2011, 11:51 PM
It means.. 2012 is coming earlier than expected!

Nick41324
11-05-2011, 11:53 PM
It means.. 2012 is coming earlier than expected!
LOL but very honestly.. It's kinda scary.

Try to imagine you house shaking so much that a glass siting in the middle of the table falls off.

Unmillione
11-05-2011, 11:54 PM
Yeah it'd be scary! I've never experience EQ's because in Australia we don't get so many!

Lowlyspy
11-05-2011, 11:55 PM
It means you guys better move, Chuck Norris has been eating Bomb Burritos from Del Taco again D:

JaytB
11-05-2011, 11:56 PM
Not sure if this has happened to you at all recently but... In Oklahoma we NEVER have earth quakes what so ever. We have had earth quakes two nights in a row (almost the same time) and it's progressively getting worse. First night was a 5.5 on the earthquake scale and that was nothing compared to the one we just had. About 10 mins ago we had another earth quake, the power went out, and there was a big explosion outside.

What does it mean when you have reoccurring earthquakes and it gets worse each time?

As far as I understood tectonic plates are always (very slowly) moving, making shifts in Eartquake areas possible. Maybe 2 tectonic plates have been moving towards eachother for years, and recently started hitting eachother.

Or it's the wrath of the Aztecs, as stated above LOL :D

Epic Unicorns!
11-06-2011, 12:15 AM
I felt them here in Texas!

NECROREAPER
11-06-2011, 12:15 AM
You'll experience a lot of aftershocks after the first one, and the aftershocks may not necessarily be weaker than the initial quake. You're in a relatively calm area for tectonic activity, but what could've happened was that large explosion could've have caused what you thought was an earthquake.

I live in Hawai'i so earthquakes are relatively common for me, haha.

Nick41324
11-06-2011, 12:17 AM
As far as I understood tectonic plates are always (very slowly) moving, making shifts in Eartquake areas possible. Maybe 2 tectonic plates have been moving towards eachother for years, and recently started hitting eachother.

Or it's the wrath of the Aztecs, as stated above LOL :D
Thanks man :) that helped lighten my fear a bit lol
Technically we had two big earthquakes in one day. One at 2:00am and another at 11:00pm
Bit of time difference apart but it's kinda creepy how it's almost a perfect day apart.

Nick41324
11-06-2011, 12:18 AM
I felt them here in Texas!
SEE!!!! it's a pretty dang big earthquake isn't it!!
Tell me how big it was tomorrow if it's on the news

Kaytar
11-06-2011, 12:35 AM
Missouri just had one

Nick41324
11-06-2011, 12:50 AM
Missouri just had one
I wonder what's going on? They are apparently happening all over the US!

Read this: http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/recenteqsww/Quakes/quakes_all.php

Oklahoma was hit with a 5.6 mag. These earthquakes aren't small.

Kaytar
11-06-2011, 12:54 AM
Missouri just had one
I wonder what's going on? They are apparently happening all over the US!well missouri had the biggest earthquake a long time ago. Hmmm 2012 early lol

Revengefull
11-14-2011, 06:37 AM
Nice to finally meet a fellow Oklahoman lol, I live about a hour west of Tulsa and ya Oklahoma is bad 1min earthquakes next its tornados wow. O well guess that's Oklahoma for you! Lol

Weak_Sauce
11-14-2011, 07:40 AM

Over the summer there was a quake in DC that was felt all the way up to Boston. You can imagine my surprise when I was laying on the beach and I felt like it was moving :).

Although rare in some places of the world, earthquakes can happen anywhere and in no way, shape, or form does it mean we're all going to die because the world is ending. As someone said, tectonic plates are always moving and whenever friction builds up in an area it produces a quake. Since faults can be found the world over there is a chance, however unlikely or rare, for a quake to happen anywhere. The recurring quakes after the initial one are called aftershocks and these can be more violent than the quake itself.

Maybe this fact will make you feel better, I'm quoting usgs.gov, "From 1975 to 1995 there were only four states that did not have any earthquakes. They were Florida, Iowa, North Dakota and Wisconsin."