PDA

View Full Version : This should be fun - Nationwide (US) test of Emergency Alert System

Samhayne
11-07-2011, 03:46 PM
This just came through from our building management. I thought it would be fun to post here as a public service announcement:

On Wednesday, November 9, 2011, FEMA, DHS and FCC will conduct the first ever National test of the Nationwide Emergency Alert System (EAS). This Nationwide test will kick off at 1:00 pm (CST) and run concurrently across all time zones.

This system test is the first of its kind designed to broadcast a nationwide message to the American public. In the history of the country, nothing like it has been conducted on such a level. There have been tests in the past, but not of this magnitude encompassing all regions of the Nation simultaneously. The three (3) minute test will run simultaneously on all radio and TV band stations exceeding the previous messages broadcast which were anywhere from a 30 second to 1 minute message.

There is concern in local police and emergency management circles about undue public anxiety over this test. The test message on TV might not indicate that it is just a test. The fear is that the lack of an explanation regarding the message might create panic.

Please share this information with your family and friends so they are aware of the test

Below are a few websites that will provide more information regarding this test:

http://blog.fema.gov/2011/10/help-us-spread-word-on-november-9-this.html

http://www.fema.gov/emergency/ipaws/eas_info.shtm

https://nationaldialogue-emergencyalertsystem.ideascale.com/

Magecreater
11-07-2011, 03:54 PM
It's all stupid Obama's fault! He is the one that is doing this. He is bypassing congress and doing this move on his own! No wonder everyone is complaining and panicking.

JaytB
11-07-2011, 03:57 PM
It's all stupid Obama's fault! He is the one that is doing this. He is bypassing congress and doing this move on his own! No wonder everyone is complaining and panicking.

Please don't turn this into a political debate.

On topic: I wish I could see this. To be honest, this seems pretty cool to me :D

DanielRH
11-07-2011, 04:05 PM
Thanks for the info Alex! I did not know about this :)

Honestly i think this is VERY good. After having lived in Israel for 5 years (part of that during the 2006 Lebanon War) i have come to realize just how important a national emergency system is.

And what does this have to do with obama? (please note that this was supposed to be a neutral comment, tho im not an obama supporter at all, but again... what on earth does this have to do with obama???)

Nourish
11-07-2011, 04:17 PM
Thanks for the heads up! It would probably scare me too 0.o

Magecreater
11-07-2011, 04:42 PM
Thanks for the info Alex! I did not know about this :)

Honestly i think this is VERY good. After having lived in Israel for 5 years (part of that during the 2006 Lebanon War) i have come to realize just how important a national emergency system is.

And what does this have to do with obama? (please note that this was supposed to be a neutral comment, tho im not an obama supporter at all, but again... what on earth does this have to do with obama???)

Bc normally the government decides if things like this happen. But Obama is the one that will b doing it, he is flipping the switch. It's jut crazy how he is bypassing the government. U just have to know about it to undertake y I'm upset. My history teacher has been complaining about this ever since he heard it about 1 week ago. And yes I under stand it's a good thing but that not y I'm upset.

ninjaduck
11-07-2011, 04:50 PM
doubleplusungood

1984!! great book...

DanielRH
11-07-2011, 04:51 PM
Bc normally the government decides if things like this happen. But Obama is the one that will b doing it, he is flipping the switch. It's jut crazy how he is bypassing the government. U just have to know about it to undertake y I'm upset. My history teacher has been complaining about this ever since he heard it about 1 week ago. And yes I under stand it's a good thing but that not y I'm upset.
I understand your reasoning... but after all the president IS our commander in chief, and if suddenly there's a national emergency something or other, do you REALLY want congress to pull the switch? They would have to think on it for a couple weeks before taking action (lol sorta joking).

Who else besides the president would be in charge of that?

Just my 2 cents! :)

TANKKAAR
11-07-2011, 05:40 PM
1984!! great book...

Amazing book.....