PDA

View Full Version : Really? There are more people than I thought in the US without a smartphone

Samhayne
11-08-2011, 01:36 PM
Our Marketing Man, Cassric, just sent around a link to piece on Business Insider about the smartphone market that showed a graph of the US install base of mobile phones. The thing this graph really highlights is just how many Non-Smartphones there are out there. I guess I feel a bit out of touch, since I can't think of anyone, other than my wife's parents, who don't have a smartphone. I guess living and working in the high tech sector will do that, eh?

Anyway, here's the graph:

http://static5.businessinsider.com/image/4eb7bd23ecad04184500000d-450-/us-phone-platform-install-base.png

And here is the link to the article: http://www.businessinsider.com/the-one-chart-you-need-to-see-to-understand-mobile-2011-11

Cascade
11-08-2011, 01:48 PM
Woah!! I know about 5 people that dont use smart phones. That is really enlightening. Didn't know there were so many non-smartphonians out there.

StompArtist
11-08-2011, 01:50 PM
Does "non smart" include "house phones" or "no phones"?

Also does this include both young children and the elderly?

Samhayne
11-08-2011, 02:06 PM
Does "non smart" include "house phones" or "no phones"?

Also does this include both young children and the elderly?

Data analysis from asymco http://www.asymco.com/2011/11/06/the-us-smartphone-landscape/

A note at the end of that report states:

Nielsen reports that 43% of the phones in use in the US now are smartphones in the US with Ages 25 to 34 having 62% penetration.

Interesting stuff, if you give a rats butt about smartphones :D

Carth
11-08-2011, 02:14 PM
This is some interesting information. A lot of people are really missing out. Thanks for sharing with us, Sam. :)

octavos
11-08-2011, 02:19 PM
Data analysis from asymco http://www.asymco.com/2011/11/06/the-us-smartphone-landscape/

A note at the end of that report states:

Interesting stuff, if you give a rats butt about smartphones :D

Well i do care ummm bit...and i do statistics in general :p (but more marketing because im a designer :D) i see the popularity and the tread-line of course from the link provided :D
Android is like the PC, more freedom to explore, but reliability and security i would see Apple dominating.

Edit*
all i can say is poor Palm :( they should have jumped on the bandwagon of apps and flexibility. (they should join up with Yahoo or ask.com)

-Like AT&T (its not the same company we all know now, its different, Starwars episode 1 different lol)

Skeletonlord
11-08-2011, 02:46 PM
This graph is really good to show which smartphones are used the most. I play on apple

Cahaun
11-08-2011, 03:11 PM
Go Android! :D

LelouchX
11-08-2011, 04:11 PM
My phone is stupid, use a tablet to play SL

Yvonnel
11-08-2011, 04:41 PM
It actually doesn't suprise me that much. I know a lot of people that have just a regular old flip phone. And think of all of those "disposible cell phones".

Tapatalk'd from my PowerWashed Fascinate

Jugernugett
11-08-2011, 04:50 PM
I use iPods....:rolleyes:

WhoIsThis
11-08-2011, 07:54 PM
There is a large class of people who either see little benefit in getting a smart phone or who cannot afford it. As you point out, hanging around people who use them make us think that "everyone" has one.

I'll make a second prediction: market saturation will happen much sooner than people think. Perhaps as early as 2013. Why? Because there are large segments of the population who cannot afford data and with an oligopoly gouging consumers (the telecoms), things are likely to stay that way. They will however, buy prepaid Android (or whatever OS) phones, but not with data, at least until data prices fall significantly.

zappaxe
11-08-2011, 08:17 PM
I use my iPod 2nd gen :o

Skeletonlord
11-12-2011, 01:34 AM
I use my iPod 2nd gen :o

Same. I use my iPod 2nd gen

Xscoopx
11-12-2011, 01:38 AM
Wow that pretty high, I guess I'm part of the non-smartphone group
(luckily I have a iTouch :D)

Ellyidol
11-12-2011, 02:09 AM
Only supports the decision to expand to other platforms, aye? ;)

I wonder what the stats are for PC ownership..

WhoIsThis
11-12-2011, 06:10 AM
Only supports the decision to expand to other platforms, aye? ;)

I wonder what the stats are for PC ownership..

If we add desktops and laptops for a developed nation, I'd expect higher than smartphones. A PC is considered a necessity for many ... smartphone, well for people used to them, absolutely vital, but for others, not so much.

CanonicalKoi
11-12-2011, 10:47 AM
Sam, I hate to break to you, but there are actually spots in the US that have no cell service. I live in one. Were I to buy a cellular, smart or otherwise, I'd have to drive 2 miles up the road and park on the shoulder in order to get any signal at all. Living in a rural area where most folks have a shotgun parked by the front door, this would be a remarkably silly thing for me to do. :D

Other tech bits, oh yeah:
1 desktop running Windows 98SE (yeah, yeah, I know. Legacy machine that I use for one specific thing.)
1 desktop running Windows XP
1 desktop running Ubuntu Linux
Various other desktops that constantly get reconfigured into something else.
1 laptop running Windows XP
1 MacBook Pro
1 iPad
1 iPod
And a PS2 and, just now, a PS3. When I leave the house it's nice to leave the tech there and look at something other than LEDs, you know?

WhoIsThis
11-12-2011, 07:24 PM
I don't have data on my cell either. Not worth the money IMO.

I just use wi-fi. Since I'm usually at home or on campus (which has over 5,000 access points), it's no big deal.

Kossi
11-12-2011, 07:26 PM
i have a behold (smartphone) and an ipod 3rd gen....

Urqui
11-12-2011, 09:54 PM
I wouldn't really call my iphone "smart"(-__-")

Ayc2000
11-12-2011, 10:33 PM
I don't have a smart phone yet. But wow...Almost everyone I know has one... Thats pretty suprising and enlightening :)

ghost.mw
11-12-2011, 11:05 PM
WOW