PDA

View Full Version : Kahlua's Speed Run Commando Build (lvl 36)

Kahlua
11-08-2011, 06:28 PM
No silly acronyms, no catchy titles. This is the build I used to power to lvl 36 on my commando, primarily on the BIOSPHERE DECK on the shipyards. It's AOE based, and is geared towards finishing the levels as quickly as possible. There are two ways to do this build, each with it's own set of pros and cons. I'm going to spend the 2 plat (WOAH!!!) to bring you both builds and what each one brings to the table:

First Build:
http://img64.imageshack.us/img64/9272/commandobuild.png

This build is the most balanced because it does a great amount of damage, but sacrifices some damage for Increase Mass and Kinetic Reservoir. This build is a great speed build because it eliminates the single damage skill Force Hammer and Graviton Slam (Not single damage, but very tricky to use and hard to get to go the way you want all the time). This build would most greatly benefit the people who like to switch between farming for epic drops in the Reactor (Back breaker for boss, increase mass for tanking/control/Reservoir for skill spamming) and speed runs. This is better suited for SOLO speed runs.

Pros:
- Hits all the good AOE skills
- Neutron stomp for control and knocking down large groups takes the stress off of yourself and teammates.
- Growing Rage + AOE (especially NEBULA) = instant mob group death. Seriously, watch them just crumble with crit after crit nebula ticks.
- Increase Mass keeps you alive when you get combo-attacked running in first. Especially helpful from those plasma grenades/barrels if you come across them.
- Kinetic Reservoir can save you a LOT of money in the long run if you spam your skills as much as I do.

Cons:
- Back Breaker is almost useless for speed runs as it's only single-target (SEE BELOW)
- 11 points wasted on increase mass and kinetic reservoir could be used for more damage output

***A NOTE ON BACK-BREAKER***
During my runs I could have sworn that although back breaker is a single-target attack, when I cast the skill at an enemy in the back of a group that had multiple mobs knocked down, the skill passed through the front enemies, damaging them as well on it's way to the target. As this results in the Back-Breaker combo as well, I was curious if this is only a combo thing, or if back-breaker passes through targets and causes damage on it's path to the actual target. More testing is needed. It might have just been my team doing damage. This could change the use of back-breaker in speed runs forever.

Second Build:
http://img256.imageshack.us/img256/6391/commandobuild2.png
This build is the end of all things. You will run train on your enemies and they won't know what hit them...because they get reborn every 90 seconds or so. No single target damage, all AOE. I use graviton slam as I'm running down long hallways at enemies, and just pop-shot it at the first members of the group. Any damage helps, and as it's directional and not 100% AOE, it's really only useful for that situation, which is why it only gets 1 point. Using skills too often in bad situations is why a lot of people complain about running out of mana. The 5 points in neutron stomp is for the sole reason that I had extra points and Neutron Stomp is far more useful than Graviton Slam in Biosphere speed runs. I kept Kinetic Reservoir because this level is just so easy, that the damage loss for 3 seconds (2 sec buff at the end) is really not going to make a big difference as you carve through enemies. Keep blasting away and use your skills when needed and you'll have zero problems. The lvl 5 in Kinetic Reservoir gives a +10 mana regen (lvl 6 also only gives +10, so no point in wasting another point) and this lasts for 5 seconds. I'll take a free 50 mana any day. Growing rage +60 crit buff? Yes please!!!

Pros:
- Very high damage output from AOE skills
- Growing Rage + AOE = DEATH!
- No single target damage skills as these mobs are wearing cloth for armor and your gun carves them up enough as it is, no point in wasting mana on single skills.

Cons:
- Very speed run based build...won't help you out as much on harder levels.
- Not a tankers build (no increase mass) so if survival is your #1 priority, you might look towards the first build
- Back-Breaker is an awesome skill, but seems to only be good for hard mobs, mini bosses, or the big baddies.

***I do not put an 8th skill into that empty slot because I think it's much easier to see the difference between the skill pages if they're kept different. Throwing the same skill on both pages can be confusing after hours of grinding***

Hope this helps guys! I stand strongly behind these 2 builds as the best builds for shipyard commando looking for easy xp and is not afraid to take point.

Kahlua
11-12-2011, 12:19 PM
woah great build!!!!

Silentarrow
11-12-2011, 12:20 PM
Lol^^

NoobianOfAlterra
11-12-2011, 12:30 PM
Nice build, but kinda unnessascary to compliment urself lol

Vladrac
11-12-2011, 05:42 PM
Great for the SY2 xp grind, no doubt! Took about 70 secs on average per run, i'd say. That is with 2x dmg, 25 run, 3x xp enhancers running.

EDIT: I'll also note that I used your second build, running over mobs from the beginning of SY2 to the first door and the group of mobs outside the second door. This yields about 115-120 xp per run (using above enhancers) very quickly. I went from 32-35 in no time at all.

Kahlua
11-12-2011, 05:49 PM
Nice build, but kinda unnessascary to compliment urself lol
After 4 days of no replies, I posted that "compliment" and got 3. It's called a bump.

TsunamiTheClown
11-17-2011, 03:02 PM
Hey Great Job Kally!

I like that you emphasize the fact that AOE skills are the way to really dominate here. Do you use a heavy cannon while running level 2? I like to work a few shots into my combos while massing the baddies up-especially after popping rage.

Another thing, i would :humbly: suggest taking the empty spot in the last build and putting at least one point worth of back brrrkr in there(from your stomp perhaps) because when ppl get tired of pwer leveling and succumb to the constant "Boss run up! One spot!" guild cries and run lvl 5, you could still target and destroy those pesky dual-weilding healers that can make the lvl go much slower if ppl aren't targeting them first religiously. i have found that the back brrrkr combos still do wonders to discomfit the foes.

Nice work on the thread!!!

Kahlua
11-18-2011, 11:28 AM
Hey Great Job Kally!

I like that you emphasize the fact that AOE skills are the way to really dominate here. Do you use a heavy cannon while running level 2? I like to work a few shots into my combos while massing the baddies up-especially after popping rage.

Another thing, i would :humbly: suggest taking the empty spot in the last build and putting at least one point worth of back brrrkr in there(from your stomp perhaps) because when ppl get tired of pwer leveling and succumb to the constant "Boss run up! One spot!" guild cries and run lvl 5, you could still target and destroy those pesky dual-weilding healers that can make the lvl go much slower if ppl aren't targeting them first religiously. i have found that the back brrrkr combos still do wonders to discomfit the foes.

Nice work on the thread!!!

:)

This would be true for back breaker, but I hardly use Kahlua anymore and level Lafontaine now instead. As she's an engineer, I just kind of do background damage and heal. I was always juiced up on Kahlua anyways, so I didn't even need combos to KO people lol.

As for the cannon, I used to ALWAYS use a cannon, up until slouch-o. Now I just run with the plat pistol that matches my custom armor and the star plat shield. Same stats as the whistler combat wise with a few added skill stats.

Beanmachine
12-02-2011, 02:11 AM
Just out of curiosity, what us backbreaker? (Skill, definition, damage, effects etc.)
Thanks.

Kahlua
12-02-2011, 09:54 AM
Just out of curiosity, what us backbreaker? (Skill, definition, damage, effects etc.)
Thanks.
At level 6:

15 energy
5 second cool down
12m range
20-40 damage (single target)
Taunts

Combos with any commando skill with a knockdown as the second part of the combo (Neutron stomp, singularity) to create "Back Breaker" combo

saiyen
12-02-2011, 10:51 AM
Ty kahlua very much,but can u upload hq pics,coz am not able to understand anything

0_0

Kahlua
12-02-2011, 10:56 AM
What do you mean HQ pics?
Those pictures are big and pretty decent quality...they're from google chrome's SL client.

Ebalere
12-02-2011, 11:08 AM
Nice build, very similar to my commando's and he really tears through SY2. Nice guide, +!.

Kahlua
12-02-2011, 11:47 AM
Nice build, very similar to my commando's and he really tears through SY2. Nice guide, +!.

Trollee
12-06-2011, 02:47 AM
Can't believe it took me so long to find this!
I have power levelled my commando and don't know anything about how to play as one and this really helps. Great guide!
I'll be respeccing once I get to 35 to a build very similar to this.

saiyen
12-06-2011, 08:10 AM
Nice,
Can u create a single build for those who dont have enough platinum to switch between the both builds when they go for xp or boss run?(i mean perfect build for commondo)

saiyen
12-06-2011, 08:11 AM
I know its very difficult to make a single build

Kahlua
12-06-2011, 08:15 AM
I know its very difficult to make a single build
The build you'd want to use is the first build. It works for both XP runs and boss runs.

The second build is just another option. Not necessarily meant for switching between the two. Just really depends on your play style.

Beanmachine
12-07-2011, 12:19 AM
At level 6:

15 energy
5 second cool down
12m range
20-40 damage (single target)
Taunts

Combos with any commando skill with a knockdown as the second part of the combo (Neutron stomp, singularity) to create "Back Breaker" combo

Thanks, thats crazy how you can combo with any knockdown skills.
Just curious, when leveling all the way from the start again, should we invest in vigor?

Kahlua
12-07-2011, 05:46 AM
Thanks, thats crazy how you can combo with any knockdown skills.
Just curious, when leveling all the way from the start again, should we invest in vigor?
If you plan on doing a lot of soloing and don't want to waste money on stims; absolutely.

Maxed vigor heals a tremendous amount of hp at low levels, and as nothing you'll be fighting has that much hp that you'll need high skill levels to kill. If you've got the plat to respec, I recommend maxing vigor and even 5 in kinetic reservoir to save yourself some money until a tank is truely needed (Around numa if you plan to do anything other than Outer Limits and 100% in slouch-o as the only easy solo map is Hall of Films, and the xp there sucks, so you'll be doing Venemous and Scorcher alot). The only reason I don't use vigor anymore is because Biosphere is so easy and soloing it is actually counterproductive to your xp.