PDA

View Full Version : Item Rarity Indicicator

Gavry
07-08-2010, 07:30 PM
As this is more of a pick up and play game rather than the hard core MMORP like WoW I though it may be a nice little addition to add some type of Item Rarity indicator.

For those of us who play quite a bit, knowing what is rare and what is pretty common is fairly easy. For those however, who only play sporadically, knowing if an item is rare or not, and its potential value is a lot harder. I'm sure there have been players who have gone through level 5 of AO2 and scored a blaster only to be talked into trading it to a seasoned player as they had no idea of its rarity. Not hard to see why as the stats aren't anything fantastic. I have mocked up my idea in an image below:

http://a.imagehost.org/0754/Item_Rarity_v2.jpg

What do you think?

KingFu
07-08-2010, 07:38 PM
Should we add pics of some rare items too? O.o

Cascade
07-08-2010, 07:48 PM
I like it...it looks awesome =)

LIGHTNINGLORD67
07-08-2010, 07:51 PM
This would definitely organize the prices of items. TWO THUMBS UP! 

Cascade
07-08-2010, 07:53 PM
Yeah it would and when ypu are trading you can click on the item that the person put down and it will show the rarity and the rest of the stats

KingFu
07-08-2010, 08:17 PM
Oh, wow, sorry I didn't quite understand your thread exactly. I like this idea, mainly, it will help lower level characters. Also, below the meeter how about there being a number? Just a suggestion, but great idea. I vote that this should be implemented into the game!

Theremin
07-08-2010, 09:07 PM
A simple and elegant suggestion, Gavry. I think this would be most beneficial.

One question, however: You know how in WoW, there's the add-on "Atlasloot," or what have you which shows the approximate drop percentages off mobs for a specific item listed in that database (based on what has been found on a given realm)? I'm wondering how they would determine the rarity of an item since it has to be looted either often, or not, to in fact cause an item to be rare in the first place. That's probably a DEV question. They don't want to give out their drop rates and formulas like that... OR DO THEY? :D

Gavry
07-08-2010, 09:35 PM
Image updated with number as per Mysticaldream's suggestion.

Potawto
07-08-2010, 09:40 PM
Great idea perfect for all lev players of the game except those that are actually seasoned like a Cajun dish

FluffNStuff
07-09-2010, 10:33 AM
So Rarity? Based on Current Drop Chances, Cumulative Drop Chances, or current total existing inventory? Can explain with L40 Thoth Helm.
So current drop chances are low, since they nerfed AO1.
Cumulative Drop chances are about medium because the would include the chance from the loot flood and the current nerfed chanced.
Total Existing would fluctuate based on of course the number of L40 Thoth Helms compared to other helms of equal level, or perhaps all other Helms.

But if it was compared to all total existing including other levels, a L19 Pink Plate would probably be rarer then a Zombie Croc Plate.

Royce
07-09-2010, 11:23 AM
Maybe they could even color-code items by rarity...

Jstizar
07-09-2010, 11:29 AM

I think you're on to something, that sounds like a fantastic idea.

flaimdude
07-09-2010, 11:46 AM

I'm thinking this is definitely the way to go.

BeardedBear
07-09-2010, 12:44 PM

Maybe I am being thick, but aren't items already color-coded? White/Orange/Green/Purple/Pink

flaimdude
07-09-2010, 12:57 PM
Maybe I am being thick, but aren't items already color-coded? White/Orange/Green/Purple/Pink

*facepalm* yes, that's the point. We're saying that we don't need another scale because the items are already color-coded. Also, if you need a better indicated, oftentimes the liquidation price will help you there.