PDA

View Full Version : DPS Weapon Issue

v5point0
07-08-2010, 09:09 PM
I find the information regarding weapon DPS to be a bit misleading. I could be mistaken but I have done a few tests and always the numbers indicated do not match the actual field results.

I have tested on a Forest Haven Zombie just because they have low defense/armor so I can see more accurate results. I have also tested on AO2 mobs but obviously due to the enemy level and armor, damage is reduced.

I find the damage indicator matches slightly more accurately then the DPS. Always items with high DPS and speed have low damage range, but they don't seem to put out the DPS damage indicated but much rather the damage range.

For example, we have two bows here:

Sniper Pharaoh Crossbow Lv45
DPS 115 on a full dex archer
Damage 60-62
Speed 0.9
Damage in 10 secs = 10/0.9*60 = 666.6
Damage in 10 secs w/ +50 Critical = 1222.22

Scarab Bow of Horus Lv45
DPS 114 on a full dex archer
Damage 83-105
Speed 1.2
Damage in 10 secs = 10/1.2*83 = 691.39
Damage in 10 secs w/ +50 Critical = 1477.77

The Scarab out performs the Pharaoh from my test and the DPS more accurately shows the damage range rather then the DPS. Could it be that the Pharaoh does around 60-62 at 0.6 per sec while the Scarab does 85-105 at 1.2 per sec? It is not easy to tell the difference from the human eye between a firing rate of 1.2 or 0.6 per sec, especially if based visually from the damage counters coming up. If this is the case, how come in PvP the Scarab always kills faster then the Pharaoh?

I require some clarification on this.

Conclusion
Speed and Damage are important factors for a weapon. When comparing weapons between bear in mind that a slow but powerful weapon can only make up if it's damage is double or more then the faster weapon; correlating to the speed of the faster weapon.

Royce
07-08-2010, 09:20 PM
This is because DPS does not take into account opponent armor. The effective DPS (actual health lost by your target) of a slower, more powerful weapon will not be reduced as much from the calculated DPS as the effective DPS of a fast, low power weapon will be.

Nouda
07-08-2010, 09:39 PM
This is because DPS does not take into account opponent armor. The effective DPS (actual health lost by your target) of a slower, more powerful weapon will not be reduced as much from the calculated DPS as the effective DPS of a fast, low power weapon will be.

what?

because i use my blade of darkness of ahnold (2h) and it says 86 dps 135-164 danage at 2 speed but then my zuraz plasma sword does 108 dps but when killing in a02 the 2h destroys the plasma even though the dps are not even remotely close

v5point0
07-08-2010, 09:48 PM

Yes, I have taken this into consideration. That is why I tested on a Zombie in Forest Haven.

v5point0
07-10-2010, 09:06 AM
No one else notice this or made any observations?

roguedubb
07-10-2010, 11:11 PM
If damage reduction from armor is a static number a slower weapon is preferable.
For example:

say 10 Armor reduces damage by 10
a 2.0 speed, 175-225 damage, 100 dps weapon will do 950 damage over 10 seconds
a 1.0 speed, 100-100 damage, 100 dps weapon will do 900 damage over 10 seconds

So any armor reducing effects will be of more value to a slower weapon and the higher a target's armor is the more effective a slower weapon will be (assuming that Armor reduces incoming damage by a static amount instead of reducing it by a percentage). Throw in any sort of +Damage buff (not a +DPS buff) and things can swing in favor of a faster weapon.

And once again all this makes me hungry for access to any sort of logging mechanism!

v5point0
07-11-2010, 05:42 AM
So any armor reducing effects will be of more value to a slower weapon and the higher a target's armor is the more effective a slower weapon will be. Throw in any sort of +Damage buff (not a +DPS buff) and things can swing in favor of a faster weapon.

True Rage, Focus, Blessings of Might would make a faster weapon render more damage? But isn't this true for the slower weapon as well?

roguedubb
07-11-2010, 07:28 AM
If the buff is +Damage then a faster weapon would be better, using the numbers above, say a buff provides +25 damage:

a 2.0 speed weapon will do 5 attacks in 10 seconds, giving 5*25=125 more damage
a 1.0 speed weapon will do 10 attacks in 10 seconds, giving 10*25=250 more damage

(I just checked in-game and this is how Blessing of Might works)

If the buff is +DPS the weapon speed is already factored in and so is less relevant. But then there are things like armor, debuffs, weapon based damage attacks to consider (and most of that has not been adequately researched yet).

Violentsaint
07-11-2010, 07:35 AM
u guys sound like u need to get laid XD

lols just kidding, but seriously... lol

ive always guessed dps is better than slow weapons that hit harder

roguedubb
07-11-2010, 07:48 AM
Guessing is often good enough, I just like to explore systems and understand how they work.

roguedubb
07-11-2010, 08:11 AM
I am doing a slight thread hijack, but it is weapon DPS related...

Just did some testing. I have a damage range of 133-151 with 71 DPS. While clearing the first 60 or so mobs at the start of AO2-3 my highest hit was 150 and my lowest 112, with most hits being in the 120s and 130s. The 150 hit makes it look highly likely that mob Armor is variable and not a set amount for each mob type, but probably variable within a range which is based on mob type (like the AO1 mobs - the red and blue I get big damage on and about half that damage on the black and green ones).

v5point0
07-11-2010, 08:57 AM
u guys sound like u need to get laid XD

lols just kidding, but seriously... lol

ive always guessed dps is better than slow weapons that hit harder

Knowledge is power and Intelligence is sexy :)

Guessing is often good enough, I just like to explore systems and understand how they work.

Especially useful in competitive play

I am doing a slight thread hijack, but it is weapon DPS related...

Just did some testing. I have a damage range of 133-151 with 71 DPS. While clearing the first 60 or so mobs at the start of AO2-3 my highest hit was 150 and my lowest 112, with most hits being in the 120s and 130s. The 150 hit makes it look highly likely that mob Armor is variable and not a set amount for each mob type, but probably variable within a range which is based on mob type (like the AO1 mobs - the red and blue I get big damage on and about half that damage on the black and green ones).

Sure, be my guest. It is better if we complied our findings in one thread.

Yes mob armour is variable based on their type; the red and blue are like common soldiers hence their numbers are more while the black and green are elite types with lesser number around in comparison. The black has the highest defense, but the the green regenerates.

What was the weapon speed?

roguedubb
07-11-2010, 06:33 PM
I was using a 2.0 staff.

roguedubb
07-11-2010, 07:35 PM
Just did some testing of +Hit and a mobs Miss and Dodge chance. This was all done on trash mobs at the start of AO2-3.

100 Hit does Hit-cap you against trash, so you should never see any misses on trash. This would seem to indicate that a mob does not have a base chance to be missed. I have not done any testing VS boss mobs.

Using a Lil Red Bow I raised Hit by 1 point at a time using DEX and even with all my stats in DEX (184 Hit) mobs were still able to Dodge.

I also put together a 53 Crit gear set and combining this with 5/5 Blessing of Might for another 50 Crit I was able to get over 100 Crit and do some testing to see if Crit would eventually wipe out a mobs Dodge chance - which it did not. So it seems that a mobs Dodge chance is not able to be negated via stats.

v5point0
07-11-2010, 08:18 PM
Just did some testing of +Hit and a mobs Miss and Dodge chance. This was all done on trash mobs at the start of AO2-3.

100 Hit does Hit-cap you against trash, so you should never see any misses on trash. This would seem to indicate that a mob does not have a base chance to be missed. I have not done any testing VS boss mobs.

Using a Lil Red Bow I raised Hit by 1 point at a time using DEX and even with all my stats in DEX (184 Hit) mobs were still able to Dodge.

I also put together a 53 Crit gear set and combining this with 5/5 Blessing of Might for another 50 Crit I was able to get over 100 Crit and do some testing to see if Crit would eventually wipe out a mobs Dodge chance - which it did not. So it seems that a mobs Dodge chance is not able to be negated via stats.

Interesting, trying this with an Archer's Focus would probably render different results because of the increase in Hit%