PDA

View Full Version : Booting

Veoveoveo
11-12-2011, 12:27 PM
(This is just an opinion, so some of you might disagree).

I find that it's rather rude when people boot you right away with reasons like: k, s, and random letters I guess. I prefer when people ask you to leave,
with comments like: "Level 56 farming," or "Thrasher or boot, sorry," or "level 60 grinding."
Like I said, I hate it when people do this, especially since I'm only level 57.
Any thoughts?
(remember, only an opinion and my preference).

TANKKAAR
11-12-2011, 12:33 PM
Join guild members or friends? Or you can just ask i f there's room? Just a thought.... But have you ever considered maybe they find it rude your just joining the game like you were invited?

Roc
11-12-2011, 12:45 PM
I have to agree that I prefer when people ask me to leave because how am I supposed to know if a PUG game (that has some open slots) is actually full or even a hosted game for that matter? Also, there are many without guilds, and good friends are hard to come by. If I join a hosted game, I usually do ask if there's room (but sometimes I'm booted with a letter before I can even ask or the level even loads!), but if it's a PUG game I don't consider it rude to join because it doesn't seem presumptuous to join an open game :02.47-tranquillity:

ZHEOTARE
11-12-2011, 12:46 PM
Join guild members or friends? Or you can just ask i f there's room? Just a thought.... But have you ever considered maybe they find it rude your just joining the game like you were invited?

Isn't that what the join feature is for?? I wouldn't consider it rude. I'd say he is utilizing the features of the game.

Moogerfooger
11-12-2011, 12:49 PM
Sometimes people are in a hurry and don't want to have to type out a reason every time. I'd prefer it if someone asked me to leave too and some people do, but if people are using elixirs or holding a spot for a friend, I don't get upset if I get booted with "S" or some random letter. It is their game, they can do whatever they want, whether I like it or not...I joined THEIR game.

If you expect everyone to be as polite as you, you will be disappointed, unfortunately. I always ask nicely for someone to leave if I need to keep a spot open, and many forumers do, but a lot don't.

Moogerfooger
11-12-2011, 12:50 PM
Isn't that what the join feature is for?? I wouldn't consider it rude. I'd say he is utilizing the features of the game.

And the person booting for whatever reason they feel like is "utilizing a feature of the game" as well.

Zeus
11-12-2011, 12:51 PM
I despise it too, until I started getting into the habit of hosting my own games. Having seen both sides, I understand why people boot for that reason.

Platinum Elixirs=Timed=Money. Therefore, spending an amount of time booting players with full messages EVERY time adds up. If it's just one or two, I'll give them the full message, but when players start piling in, I am not afraid to boot for one letter. I know it sucks as I've been booted many times like that, but since I have seen both sides of "The Boot", I have learned not to mind it.

Most people aren't cruel, even that one letter symbolizes a reason of their actions. Just food for thought.

EDIT: Ninja'd by Mr. Moogerfooger.

Moogerfooger
11-12-2011, 12:53 PM
http://img1.coolspacetricks.com/images/commentgraphics/funny/81729.gif

Zeus
11-12-2011, 12:54 PM
http://img1.coolspacetricks.com/images/commentgraphics/funny/81729.gif

Did your ninja just ninja your ninja? :rolleyes: rotss

EDIT: You deleted one of your many ninjas. -.-

Moogerfooger
11-12-2011, 12:55 PM
Did your ninja just ninja your ninja? :rolleyes: rotss

I can neither confirm nor deny if I ninjad my ninja. I would have to kill you if I did. Silently.

Zeus
11-12-2011, 12:57 PM
I can neither confirm nor deny if I ninjad my ninja. I would have to kill you if I did. Silently.

I have it in browser history, got enough proof. (:

Moogerfooger
11-12-2011, 12:58 PM
I have it in browser history, got enough proof. (:

Yeah, I accidentally attached it first and had the dreaded Double Ninja.

Anyway....back to the post....

Skeletonlord
11-12-2011, 01:02 PM
It is annoying

ZHEOTARE
11-12-2011, 01:14 PM
And the person booting for whatever reason they feel like is "utilizing a feature of the game" as well.

I agree with that. In no way did I say a person was in the wrong for booting. They are allowed to boot for whatever reason they like, whether I feel it is rude or not. My comment was in reference to...

But have you ever considered maybe they find it rude your just joining the game like you were invited?

Redbridge
11-12-2011, 01:23 PM
I totally agree with the OP, but booting is a very valid part of the game and responsibility is not just on the host but also on the participants to help reduce booting...

There's plenty everyone can do to reduce it.

I put a few tips together to help with this and many other frustrations. http://www.spacetimestudios.com/showthread.php?28639-Behaviour-and-Conduct-Guidelines&p=324270#post324270

Here's a short and long section on booting.... hope it helps...

Booting
It happens and pays to just let it go.
To avoid booting - Ask before joining games
To avoid booting - Ask if it's ok to join and maybe what type of runs they are doing.
Never buy Elixirs until you have permission to stay.
Never join a game and run straight in the fray.
Don't get offended with single letter boot reasons. The host might have been busy. Find another game.
Never engage in an arguement with the host or the booted player.
For Hosts - Where possible use a password protected game.
If booting try where possible to give a valid reason. At least a 'sry', if mid battle. A valid reason goes a long way to diffusing an issue before it even starts.
It is rarely acceptable to boot players halfway through a map, or even at a boss if they helped you get there, at least warn them first if something isn't right, better still just remake.
Booting before the boss drops doesnt increase your chances of getting a pink, and is extremely rude.

Booting

Booting when it happens can be very frustrating, but booting does have it's place and is an important part of the game. Where it often falls down is the lack of communication, so here are some tips to ensure booting is always carried respectfully so it doesn't result in angry "i got booted" posts.

- Being Booted -
Try to ask before joining friends in maps. There's a 4 in 5 chance they aren't the host.

Always ask when entering maps. Ask if it's ok to join, and maybe even what they're up to. This is someone else's game. That group could be there for a specific reason and might be waiting for someone else, who's spot you've just taken. That other person could be waiting to get into the game to play with the team they've played with for the last 2 hours. They may be stopping half way through (i.e. not killing keeper) so this might not be the game for you if you need to kill the keeper. Asking right at the start will save a lot of hassle if you're not wanted in that game.

Never buy Elixirs unless you have been told you can stay. It is an entirely avoidable waste of your Gold/Platinum if you get booted after buying one.

When joining a map, especially with unknown players, don't assume anything. They all may have a playing style so fit in with them and understand their style until you become part of the team. If you think you can improve the game in anyway, only offer your suggestions for change after a run or two, or when you think it is suitable.

NEVER join a game and run straight into the mobs whilst everyone else is standing around. They maybe trading, sorting something out, discussing a planning, going the the toilet, grabbing some food, or anything. Wait and ask.

If you get booted with a single letter. please don't be offended. The host may have been mid boss battle and unable to juggle fighting, booting your and the constant 'let me in' requests from his best friend. Just move onto the next game there are loads.

NEVER engage in an argument with the host if you get booted, or the player who was booted. Its a waste of yours and their time. If what they did is reportable, simply report them. If it isn't count to ten and walk away. Even consider putting them on your own ignore list if you think they were rude but engaging with them is a sure fire way to start an argument and them adding you to their own ignore list. The host is in the middle of a game after all and they haven't got time to discuss it. Ignoring you is the only way to stop you talking whilst they're fighting.

- Booting Others -
Where possible, use a password protected game if you are running the same team over and over as it will avoid unwanted problems

Always explain where possible, to new entrants, what your game is for so they are clear if they can help of contribute to that game.

If booting try to always include a reasonable explanation. If its not possible then at least say 'sry', it goes a long way to reducing stress levels.

It is not acceptable to boot players half way through a map, or even at the boss if they have helped you to get there, unless they are being rude or unhelpful. You should normally warned them first really. But better still just remake, start a new game (with a password) and don't allow them to rejoin.

Do not boot players if they buy Elixirs after you have let them know they can stay.

TANKKAAR
11-12-2011, 01:33 PM

Don't get me wrong here.... I don't think it's rude if people join an open game either but road goes both ways is what I'm trying to get at. Also as mooger has already pointed out the boot feature is just another in game took that these people are utilizing. TBH I find it just as easy to send a PM that says "full" to the person as booting and typically they leave with no whining...lol... but it never fails if I boot I always get that nasty PM telling me off...Hahaha

Moogerfooger
11-12-2011, 02:36 PM
I mean, at least they are getting booted with a random letter instead of some really silly reason, like wearing Big Luck :rolleyes:

(I could not resist, I may feel the wrath of said player soon....)

n00b13st
11-12-2011, 02:42 PM
I emphatically agree with Redbridge's advice - very sound. I have personally been forced to use single letter or "." boots under pressure but I've tried to give reasons - though I think maybe I'll just leave it at "sry" in the future rather than give a frank "bad bear" reason that will start a flame war.

On the other hand, here are the booting reasons I've seen that are perhaps less justifiable (not thinking anyone will disagree they are poor, just sharing horror stories):

idiot
noob
various profanities
premier example: after spamming me and guild co-GM with dungeon invitations, we join and my co-GM (who is still a better player than I am and is the one that taught me to strafe) shortly gets booted with "full". This is maybe a reason to not frantically invite every online "friend", especially repeatedly. When she got booted I left and when he would not respond to questions even after leaving the dungeon he got de-friended and we've never played with him since.

Some personal notes I feel are related to the theme of booting, group/team playing, etc.:

We're only a few months short of a year playing now (joined between the March 'big luck' and April Easter events though it took me a few months to find and join the forums.) We've learned more than just how to strafe and do combos. We've learned that when you find people that are polite, play well, are flexible and supportive (like when you are learning their pattern in a dungeon they don't get mad and boot you for going the wrong way) - treat those people like gold. Or better, platinum! Nothing is more important not just to dungeon success but to having a good time than people you can respect not just as players but as who they are (or at least how they behave.)

An excellent example to whom I'd like to give mad props - the *alio characters (all in Legendary Looters, I think.) Mature, skilled, pleasant and a great asset in the dungeon.

I'll get off my gratitude soapbox now. :encouragement:

CrimsonTider
11-12-2011, 02:44 PM
My problem with this subject is that the forums are cluttered with these repeat threads. There are threads for complaints and threads like Redbridge's showing how to deal with it. Other than extremely rude booting, I am not sure why this bothers people so much. Either find another game or host you own. Maybe it's just me....

wvhills
11-12-2011, 02:54 PM

I don't think it's rude to join a game that isn't passworded. I agree with OP. It is rude to be booted before you even get a chance to spawn. That's just my opinion though. I don't really get tore up, I just find another game.

Redbridge
11-12-2011, 03:28 PM
My problem with this subject is that the forums are cluttered with these repeat threads. There are threads for complaints and threads like Redbridge's showing how to deal with it. Other than extremely rude booting, I am not sure why this bothers people so much. Either find another game or host you own. Maybe it's just me....

exactly...

Moogerfooger
11-12-2011, 05:32 PM
I don't think it's rude to join a game that isn't passworded. I agree with OP. It is rude to be booted before you even get a chance to spawn. That's just my opinion though. I don't really get tore up, I just find another game.

If they are holding a spot for someone, they are not entitled to give an explanation nor wait for you to fully spawn. I don't like it either, and I just move on., like you said...but if they want to boot you before you even spawn fully, then that is no different than booting ten seconds later. It is their game, and sometimes people have their reasons. Unfortunately many ppl are not as polite as the majority of forumers :)

++++++++

And I bet that if we tried, we could find at least ten threads on this very subject.

wvhills
11-12-2011, 09:55 PM
If they are holding a spot for someone, they are not entitled to give an explanation nor wait for you to fully spawn. I don't like it either, and I just move on., like you said...but if they want to boot you before you even spawn fully, then that is no different than booting ten seconds later. It is their game, and sometimes people have their reasons. Unfortunately many ppl are not as polite as the majority of forumers :)

++++++++

And I bet that if we tried, we could find at least ten threads on this very subject.

I understand that. I still think it's rude though. It's just common courtesy. It doesn't take that long to type out "sry full" or just "full". That's 3 more letters. Lol.

Ellyidol
11-12-2011, 10:15 PM
Pro tip, have a boot line already copied on your device when you're grinding.

IIRC, mine was "Unfortunately, this game is full. I sincerely apologize". With much success, people find it less rude than a single letter, but it only took me as much as to type as that single letter ;)

Moogerfooger
11-13-2011, 02:34 AM
I understand that. I still think it's rude though. It's just common courtesy. It doesn't take that long to type out "sry full" or just "full". That's 3 more letters. Lol.

Your "rude" does not mean somebody else thinks it's rude. Different cultures have different ideas of normal acceptable/rude behavior, and PL/SL are very multi-national games. I used to get worked up about it, then I realized...it's just a game and if I am getting POd because I think someone is "rude" for booting me from a game, I need to "Lighten up, Francis". So lighten up, Francis.

Moogerfooger
11-13-2011, 02:36 AM
I agree with that. In no way did I say a person was in the wrong for booting. They are allowed to boot for whatever reason they like, whether I feel it is rude or not. My comment was in reference to...

Gotcha. Valid point, my bad.

Fatpigwarrior
11-13-2011, 02:41 AM
Yes booting is out of control, I suggest something like:

You have seletced to boot *insertnamehere*
For reason: (You have to choose)
-Elixir Only
-Guild runs
-Farming at a lower level than yours

And then the party would have to press yes or no so if it was 2-2 they'd be booted or 2-1 or 1-2 they wouldn't.
Also it would say sorry after it booted you :)

Aikiebo
11-13-2011, 12:43 PM
(This is just an opinion,g so some of you might disagree).

I find that it's rather rude when people boot you right away with reasons like: k, s, and random letters I guess. I prefer when people ask you to leave,
with comments like: "Level 56 farming," or "Thrasher or boot, sorry," or "level 60 grinding."
Like I said, I hate it when people do this, especially since I'm only level 57.
Any thoughts?
(remember, only an opinion and my preference).

I agree with what you are saying. When people boot for lame reasons or in a lame way it is very rude. It hurts the game experience for many and is a low-level form of griefing.

But unfortuenaly, it is not going to stop. There is little that can be done about it. So, for me, imho, since I have no control over it, i can't stop it, i accept it and just refuse to let it upset me.

Every single reason that someone has had for booting someone falls into one of three categories:

Category 1. Actual valid reason.

If they have a valid reason, people will boot.

Hopefully, if they really are all uber and such, they will do this in a way that is not totally lame.

Category 2. The reason they have is not valid at all.

But, if they think it is valid, people will boot.

Hopefully, if they really are all uber and such, they will do this in a way that is not totally lame. But, probably not. So don't let it upset you.

Category 3. Not even a invalid reason, they are just trying to be jerks, thinking it is funny.

If they are jerks, they will boot.

I truely believe that this is rarely the case. This game is structured in a way so that most of the primo griefing ops are not possible. So, this is one of the only things they can hold onto to try to be funny. It is a miniscule percentage of people so not worth getting upset at.

But in all three categories, if people want to boot, they are going to. If you allow yourself to get upset then you are hurting yourself not them.

But that doesn't mean, that they shouldn't stop. Hopefully, when people read this thread and others, they might be motivated to improve their game play a bit or help those that don't read the forums that much improve their game play.

When I and others say "don't let it upset you", we are not saying you are not right, you are right. It is just that not a whole lot can be done about it, so you may as well, for your own piece of mind, not let it upset you and move on. But, yeah, your are right in your op, I wish it wasn't that way.

Have fun.

PatsoeGamer
11-14-2011, 08:18 AM
I had an idea a while back, I'm not sure if the devs were looking at it or not:

http://www.spacetimestudios.com/showthread.php?38082-Improvements-to-boot

wvhills
11-14-2011, 08:23 AM
Your "rude" does not mean somebody else thinks it's rude. Different cultures have different ideas of normal acceptable/rude behavior, and PL/SL are very multi-national games. I used to get worked up about it, then I realized...it's just a game and if I am getting POd because I think someone is "rude" for booting me from a game, I need to "Lighten up, Francis". So lighten up, Francis.

I didn't mean to offend you. I was just giving my opinion. I don't think I get worked up about it, I just think it's rude.

Elyseon
11-14-2011, 08:56 AM
I'm quite used to it by now, from the logical reasons, rude reasons, or even those that u have no clue what it means

Aikiebo
11-14-2011, 11:43 AM
I had an idea a while back, I'm not sure if the devs were looking at it or not:

http://www.spacetimestudios.com/showthread.php?38082-Improvements-to-boot

I like your idea a lot. Maybe a couple more choices in phrases. Your suggestions are very nice. This kind of thing really might help.

Skeletonlord
11-14-2011, 01:06 PM
It is annoying sometimes.