PDA

View Full Version : Newest Creation: Star Legends tablet background!

RedRyder
11-12-2011, 09:33 PM
I made one for PL, so it was only fair that I made one for SL! I don't play SL a lot, okay, well not at all lol nothing against it but PL is more my cup of tea :) on to the picture:

I created the engineer and commando on my iPad, and the rest was done on my iPhone, using sketchbook pro and mobile respectively. It took about 4-6 hours to create. SL fan art is more difficult for me, since the designs are on another plateu, and I'm more used to the PL style of design. It was a real breath of fresh air and rewarding in the end.

Feel more than free to use it as your background (works better on tablets)
And upload it to tablets in your local apple and electronics stores like WoundedEagle did :D

A thanks to:
Ebalere
CanonicalKoi
BodMaster
Bakoffmycandy

Edit: this is the new and improved version

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m279/MADNIGGA2K5/6c93bbd7.jpg
that provided pictures for me to work off :)

RedRyder
11-12-2011, 09:34 PM
Just realized I posted this in the wrong section :(

CanonicalKoi
11-12-2011, 09:34 PM
Nice, nice work as always, Red! You always blow me away with your artwork. :D

zappaxe
11-12-2011, 09:35 PM
Wow red.... That is breathtaking 0.0

Silentarrow
11-12-2011, 09:37 PM
Very impressive once again Red!

PL Playa
11-12-2011, 09:40 PM
Once again way better than my wildest dreams!

Aidanwolfe
11-12-2011, 09:45 PM
How do you do it?

Kakatoa91
11-12-2011, 10:12 PM
Thx red,
as always excellent work!

:o

BodMaster
11-12-2011, 10:36 PM
Been waiting for this and... you didnt disappoint!

Great Job Red!

Is it possible to nab the link for the PL one? Don't visit a whole lot of PL side of forums :p

RedRyder
11-12-2011, 10:48 PM
Here ya go bod!

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m279/MADNIGGA2K5/de739d0b.jpg

I've decided to edit the SL pic a little for you guys. The fonts too plain, I cant do much with font on sketchbook but I'll try my hardest!

Skeletonlord
11-12-2011, 10:54 PM
Wow. Redryder you are really good at drawing

Magecreater
11-12-2011, 11:06 PM
I love ppl that r good at art! I love it!

RedRyder
11-12-2011, 11:47 PM
Here's a slightly edited version. Couldn't do much with the caption :/

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m279/MADNIGGA2K5/b3a5492e.jpg

Skeletonlord
11-13-2011, 12:02 AM

I like this version more than the original. I love the title, and it stands out against the background of the lightning!

BodMaster
11-13-2011, 06:15 AM
Here ya go bod!

I've decided to edit the SL pic a little for you guys. The fonts too plain, I cant do much with font on sketchbook but I'll try my hardest!

Thanks buddy! The amount of small details you put into the PL is amazing, certain gear and weapons such :)

I do like the second version as skel it stands out more, and it looks like they are Customized ;)

Just a few pointers if you could confirm..

Mando - Lighting out of his eye?

Op - Lost a little detail in the face top left like a smudge of some kind, was that to show a reflection?

Were they intended? Think if the Op was then the reflection needed to be a little higher away from eye as I felt it took detail in the Helm.

Small details for Custom for each class,

Op - has lighting running back and forth its helm from left to right, which makes its way up and down the Helm.

Engi - has a puffs of red/blue/green (changes colour) coming from them, also their whole (red part) suit has a liquid affect that constantly runs through their body.

Mando - quite a high count of little sparkles coming from them, also the spikes on all parts of the outfit have red waves of energy running back and forth through them.

Not saying add all that to the pic lol, actually anything but that adding more would spoil the current pic. Just giving you an idea what they look like animated how much little details STS have put into the sets :D (As you don't play :p)

Still can't fault your artistic abilities on a Tab or Phone, I could imagine what your like when you get your hands on a PC or Mac ;)

RedRyder
11-13-2011, 08:06 AM
Thanks bod I didn't realize all of that from just the pictures :( te glare on the Op. was accidental (I made the second version half asleep) so I'll fix that and add everything else by the end of today. If anyone could possible get me pictures depicting those details that'd be great!

I also have to Change the font, it looks too cartoony lol.

Handsofmyvodka
11-13-2011, 09:55 AM
OMG this is really good!

RedRyder
11-13-2011, 11:16 AM
If anyone's good with photoshop or illustrator, I can send you te psd. File and you can help me out with the title?
Sketchbook unfortunately is no good wit that sort of thing and it's all I have access to for now.

Kahlua
11-13-2011, 03:28 PM
If anyone's good with photoshop or illustrator, I can send you te psd. File and you can help me out with the title?
Sketchbook unfortunately is no good wit that sort of thing and it's all I have access to for now.
Send it to me I'll have my sig guy do it.
Just tell me what you want.

Hiei
11-13-2011, 04:35 PM
Nice nice work

RedRyder
11-13-2011, 04:48 PM
Send it to me I'll have my sig guy do it.
Just tell me what you want.

Pm me your email

BodMaster
11-14-2011, 12:03 PM
Thanks bod I didn't realize all of that from just the pictures :( If anyone could possible get me pictures depicting those details that'd be great!

Com

Sparkles

Spikes

OP (Note - Op pics are not Custom, only epic. Though the lighting on the pic is perfect, except the lighting comes from the body (upright) up into the air :))

Electricity

Engi

Mist

Skeletonlord
11-14-2011, 01:42 PM
Nice pics bod!

RedRyder
11-14-2011, 04:42 PM
Thanks bod :) the mist comes from the helmet too?
The finished picture will be up tomorrow. Kahlua's brother hooked me up with a different background and title, so I'll have to rework it to fit the picture in the animation lab during class tomorrow. Then hopefully it'll get a spotlight on the SL facebook page :)

Kahlua
11-14-2011, 04:48 PM
The finished picture will be up tomorrow. Kahlua's brother hooked me up with a different background and title, so I'll have to rework it to fit the picture in the animation lab during class tomorrow. Then hopefully it'll get a spotlight on the SL facebook page :)
ahh so you did get the emails. Ok I'll tell him. He said he sent you one with the original background too, so I'm guessing the purple one?

Bakoffmycandy
11-14-2011, 06:46 PM
Wow just wow...Threw it on my Archos 101 tab & it really stands out compared to my other favorite still backgrounds! Just seeing your final product for the 1rst time put a big ol smile on my face.
Thanks for all your time & effort & i agree. It really did pay off.

BodMaster
11-14-2011, 07:07 PM

All of the Custom End Gear effects come from the middle of the body and upwards, so when you see it looks like it comes from the back of the neck/head. Had to try and catch the puffs of smoke, all the effects are pretty hard to get in a screenshot :p (Wooop for Chrome lol)

With all the hard work and time put in im sure they would welcome it with wide open arms :D

Here's a few more of the Mist maybe give you more of an idea what I mean :) (Epic, Plat)

Only difference is the Custom seems to change smoke colours, and finishes off with a nice red'y colour.

RedRyder
11-14-2011, 07:35 PM
ahh so you did get the emails. Ok I'll tell him. He said he sent you one with the original background too, so I'm guessing the purple one?

I'm leaning more towards the one your brother made, but I might keep my old one if I can manage to work the title into it, I'm gonna have to play around with it in photoshop since the file got zoomed in and cropped when opened on sketchbook. That's really the apps only flaw lol, but I'm sure there's a way around it, I just haven't figured it out yet. Anyways, it'll be all done tomorrow :)

All of the Custom End Gear effects come from the middle of the body and upwards, so when you see it looks like it comes from the back of the neck/head. Had to try and catch the puffs of smoke, all the effects are pretty hard to get in a screenshot :p (Wooop for Chrome lol)

With all the hard work and time put in im sure they would welcome it with wide open arms :D

Here's a few more of the Mist maybe give you more of an idea what I mean :) (Epic, Plat)

Only difference is the Custom seems to change smoke colours, and finishes off with a nice red'y colour.

So the fog/smoke is for all the custom sets for the 3
Classes?

RedRyder
11-14-2011, 07:36 PM
Wow just wow...Threw it on my Archos 101 tab & it really stands out compared to my other favorite still backgrounds! Just seeing your final product for the 1rst time put a big ol smile on my face.
Thanks for all your time & effort & i agree. It really did pay off.

Thanks! ^_^ you'll be more than satisfied with it when it's actually finished :)

BodMaster
11-14-2011, 07:38 PM
So the fog/smoke is for all the custom sets for the 3 Classes?

Maybe I worded it wrong (Nearly 1am and half asleep :P)

Only Engi has Fog/Smoke Effect. Though for some weird reason, all sets for Engi have the effect? Not sure how or if it was a mistake. Though Com and Op get Sparkles and Electrity only when fully Customized. (Not Plat, or Epic)

RedRyder
11-14-2011, 07:40 PM
Alright gotcha thanks!

Kahlua
11-14-2011, 09:27 PM
I'm leaning more towards the one your brother made, but I might keep my old one if I can manage to work the title into it, I'm gonna have to play around with it in photoshop since the file got zoomed in and cropped when opened on sketchbook. That's really the apps only flaw lol, but I'm sure there's a way around it, I just haven't figured it out yet. Anyways, it'll be all done tomorrow :)

kk email one of us if you need anything else.

RedRyder
11-15-2011, 12:21 PM
here it is guys! This was a joint project. Kahlua's brother made the title and background, i did everything else. Without his brother's help, this picture wouldnt look as snazzy as it does now!
i initially did this on Sketchbook Pro on ipad, but ive been working it on photoshop for the past few hours trying to make it perfect for you guys. i added the effects that i was missing for the sets except for the sparkles on the commando. no matter how i tried tackling it, the sparkles always got in the way of the Com. Anyways, here it is!

before:

After:

Thank you again to Kahlua's brother for the background and title, and thanks to Bodmaster for the numerous screen shots that i worked off of!

EDIT!!!!!!!!!! i just noticed that i put the mist on the WRONG character! fixing that now haha

RedRyder
11-15-2011, 12:34 PM
okay, fixed :D

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m279/MADNIGGA2K5/RedRyderBG2.jpg

BodMaster
11-15-2011, 01:35 PM
Thank you again to Kahlua's brother for the background and title, and thanks to Bodmaster for the numerous screen shots that i worked off of!

EDIT!!!!!!!!!! i just noticed that i put the mist on the WRONG character! fixing that now haha

You beat me to it :p

Thanks and it was a pleasure, didn't expect you to go through it again. But you deserve all the credit for this the amount of time and effort put in. On top of you really outdoing yourself this time!

Awesome job Red! :applause:

Saved

bronislav84
11-15-2011, 01:42 PM
These are great!

Just a heads up that doesn't really have anything to do with the finished art: The engineer mist (at least the non-custom one) is caused by the back piece and not the helmet. Yup. I wear a jet pack and never seen it until I asked Quick where he got the puffs from.

Kahlua
11-15-2011, 01:52 PM
ooooo I like it!
First time I'm seeing what my brother did, looks really awesome! Love what you did with the 3 characters and the armor effects!

PS - I'm a girl ;)

EDIT - just thought of something...how cool would it be if the smoke from the engineers head were to kind of...float up into the smoke from the title? Would that look too cheesy/bunched? Also, do you think it'd take away from the other characters? Again, looks really great!

RedRyder
11-15-2011, 03:49 PM
You beat me to it :p

Thanks and it was a pleasure, didn't expect you to go through it again. But you deserve all the credit for this the amount of time and effort put in. On top of you really outdoing yourself this time!

Awesome job Red! :applause:

Saved

thanks! it wouldve taken longer if not for you!

These are great!

Just a heads up that doesn't really have anything to do with the finished art: The engineer mist (at least the non-custom one) is caused by the back piece and not the helmet. Yup. I wear a jet pack and never seen it until I asked Quick where he got the puffs from.

thanks! aw i didnt realize that (this thread alone should show you how much i dont play SL haha) i probably wont be able to fix it till next week, but ill see if i can manage to get photoshop at home

ooooo I like it!
First time I'm seeing what my brother did, looks really awesome! Love what you did with the 3 characters and the armor effects!

PS - I'm a girl ;)

EDIT - just thought of something...how cool would it be if the smoke from the engineers head were to kind of...float up into the smoke from the title? Would that look too cheesy/bunched? Also, do you think it'd take away from the other characters? Again, looks really great!

Thats actually a great idea! i would attempt it, but from what i remember your brother combined the smoke to the font so i wouldnt be able to take it out and place it with my own fog effect to match the engineer's :( when i fix the picture again, ill see if i can manage.

thanks for everything too! your brother is amazing. oh, and my apologies for confusing your gender :(

Kahlua
11-15-2011, 04:12 PM
He ALWAYS saves the original PSD files. He clogged up our desktop computer with hundreds of the things when he lived at home with us, LOL. I'm more than 100% sure he saved your font/background as separate layers somewhere; it's just what he does.

Do you want me to ask him?

RedRyder
11-15-2011, 04:25 PM
He ALWAYS saves the original PSD files. He clogged up our desktop computer with hundreds of the things when he lived at home with us, LOL. I'm more than 100% sure he saved your font/background as separate layers somewhere; it's just what he does.

Do you want me to ask him?

oh no, all of my original layers were still there. i meant the layers that he did his version of the title one. the actual font and the mist/fog were combined on the same layer, so i cant remove his fog to replace it with mine without ruining his title.

Princesssa7508
11-15-2011, 04:27 PM
I love it...

Kahlua
11-15-2011, 04:35 PM
oh no, all of my original layers were still there. i meant the layers that he did his version of the title one. the actual font and the mist/fog were combined on the same layer, so i cant remove his fog to replace it with mine without ruining his title. I know what you meant. I meant that if he did it all on another document, he most likely saved it as another psd file in case he messed up. He would have like 50 of the same documents saved with different names at different times lol, he's a perfectionist. So he probably has the font saved as one layer, the mist as another layer, etc etc. If you want, I can tell him to come look at this page and get the new image and see what he can do with blending of the title smokes he more than likely has saved, and your engineer's smoke.

Hope that wasn't confusing lol

BodMaster
11-15-2011, 06:12 PM

I mentioned that along the way :)

But technically this is an error, this should only fog/mist when all custom pieces are intact.. as other wise the same should happen with Com and Op back pieces plat/epic.

wizardstarr
11-15-2011, 07:21 PM
here it is guys! This was a joint project. Kahlua's brother made the title and background, i did everything else. Without his brother's help, this picture wouldnt look as snazzy as it does now!
i initially did this on Sketchbook Pro on ipad, but ive been working it on photoshop for the past few hours trying to make it perfect for you guys. i added the effects that i was missing for the sets except for the sparkles on the commando. no matter how i tried tackling it, the sparkles always got in the way of the Com. Anyways, here it is!

before:

After:

Hey I can't save it :'(

DROID X

BodMaster
11-15-2011, 08:40 PM
Hey I can't save it :'(

DROID X

Using the Android app you might not be able to. Go into your browser and hold your finger on the pic. A sub menu will pop up and say save image :)

RedRyder
11-15-2011, 09:06 PM
Be sure to use this one if you so wish to:

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m279/MADNIGGA2K5/6c93bbd7.jpg

I'll be editing the first post replacing the original picture now