PDA

View Full Version : Quitting

ZHEOTARE
11-12-2011, 11:09 PM
I've decided to quit the forums. This site has become uncreative, unsupportive, annoying, and drama filled. The only thing I get out of this now is negativity, and the feeling that I can't do anything on here without the "forum police" saying something. I can show in example in almost any new post where people are telling a previous poster that something they said, or did, was wrong, was already said in another thread, or correcting their grammar And this is coming from the supposed "leaders" of the forums.

Here's a thought... Fall back to what your parents/parent/guardian taught, or should have taught, you. If you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything. Or if you don't have anything to add to the conversation, don't speak.

Here is somethings I have observed, or have already pondered. Maybe you should ponder these things too...

- Every main topic, and most of the minor ones, that can be covered, have been covered. Maybe the OP doesn't know how to use the search
function. Maybe they didn't find the information they wanted. Maybe they just want to make their own post. In the end, what does it matter??
Seriously, if there are 20 threads on where is the best place to farm gold, does one more post hurt?? Maybe, just maybe, someone found a
better spot then is listed in any of the first 20 threads.

- If I'm not allowed to create a thread that has been created before, why can't I post on an old thread? I mean, I have a question that I want
answered. I see that there is a thread asking the question, I would like more information. Oh wait, the thread is over two weeks old. I am not
allowed to post on there, or I will be "frowned upon" for necro-posting. Or maybe I have been gone for awhile, and this is my first time back on
the forums. I see a funny thread, and would like to add to it. But now I can't because it's been too long. Shame on me.

- You have written the same opinion on power leveling, double posting, creating a similar thread, necro-posting, post boosting, and whatever else
you "frown upon". Search for it. If I can't create a similar thread, you can't give me a similar opinion.

- I didn't know there were so many english majors on here. If I spell a word wrong, forget a punctuation, use a wrong abbreviation, or do
something else that "frowned upon" by the english language, so what?? Did you get the message I was trying to get across?? Yes, move on.
No, ask for clarification. However, the fact that you are correcting me, says you got the point I was making.

- Did I double post? Yes. This affects you how?

- I can buy 1.5x, 2x, 3x, and 4x elixers with plat. Guess what? I just paid STS to power level me. Power leveling is "frowned upon". Are you
"frowning upon" STS right now? No, then get over it. I agree people need to learn to play the game. They can learn how to play any way they
want. I personally don't power level someone, unless I know them, or they have another toon, and know how to play. If I host a game and a
bad player joins, I still finish the run. I try to teach them how to play. If after a couple runs, they show they don't care to learn, I boot them...
with a real reason.

- My opinion is just that... mine. Give me your opinion, comments, or thoughts. Don't tell me how stupid, wrong, or noobish I am. Because at
that point, your opinion is as stupid, wrong, or noobish as you think mine is.

- You are boosting your post count by complaining that I'm boosting my post count.

- A post count is a number. You don't win a prize for the most posts of the day. You rep meter is green or red. Kinda like the Christmas colors.
I won't think less of you because your bar is red. I see people on here with 3 or 4 green bars. I think they do more flaming than most people.
But, since the main group of forum people keep giving them thumbs up, they get lots of green bars. Those people have red bars in my eyes.

- "Frowning upon" someone is an idle threat. Do you pay attention to idle threats in real life? No, then stop giving them out on here.

- Don't say I'm walking on thin ice. In case you haven't realized, you can't really do anything to me. Again, idle threat.

- I bet one on the "english majors" on here has found something wrong with this post.

- I bet there is stuff I'm leaving out.

- I bet there isn't a thread like this that's been made. If there is, I won't know. I didn't search for it.

I've met some pretty descent people on here. And some of the people I thought were cool, have shown me how hypocritical, arrogant, immature, or petty they really are. Just like in real life, I don't really speak to them anymore. The negativity has gotten so bad on here, it's making me not enjoy playing PL. I actually feel a sense of relief knowing that I won't be on here anymore.

See ya in the game!!

Zeus
11-12-2011, 11:18 PM
Noooo! Zheo! I enjoy your posts on the forums! I read through the entire thing, I realize your points, some of them I am guilty of as well, but that's what makes us human. Please consider staying. (:

Also, I may be one of those grammar police, but honestly, I don't ask for much. All I ask is the post be written with at least enough grammar that I can understand it without having to decipher what was truly meant as to what it is saying. The simple period is all I ask, tbh. I know I don't have the best grammar myself, but is it that wrong to ask for a comprehendible post?

Hankomachos
11-12-2011, 11:26 PM
Yeah, I assume some of that is directed at me too. :/ Don't leave!
Change my ways, I must. :p

Roc
11-12-2011, 11:33 PM
That was very well thought out, highly constructive, and made me reflect, which is why it makes me so sad to read that you are quitting forums when the forums need as many thoughtful people like you as possible :( I hope that people become more self-conscious and indeed follow that old idiom of saying nice things because gosh knows the last thing we need is negativity in this world. :)

I regret that the environment of the forums has led to this at all. I myself didn't start talking for a while, just being a silent reader. It is because of some things you mentioned that I started making posts rather than just be an observer :distress: I know my persuasive skills are pretty weak, but I hope you stay or at least come back very, very, very soon!

javier995
11-12-2011, 11:43 PM
- I bet there isn't a thread like this that's been made. If there is, I won't know. I didn't search for it.

See ya in the game!!

Made me laugh. Lol I thank you *bows*.

What a heck of a last thread! Lol

Hope to see you ingame sometime.

On topic:
Are you complaining about people complaining about people who make mistakes?
Or
Complaining about people complaining about those who complain?

Ebalere
11-12-2011, 11:47 PM
I've felt this way about forums before too, as well as having been guilty of some things mentioned. I apologize if I ever rubbed you the wrong way. Hope you change your mind Zheo.

Battlelock
11-12-2011, 11:47 PM
Couldn't agree with you more. Well thought out and worded. Too bad you must leave though.

Good luck and hope to see you in game.

javier995
11-12-2011, 11:51 PM
as well as having been guilty of some things mentioned.

We have all done that.

Let me take the time an apologize for everyone else.

We the community of STS apologize for doing what was stated by you the OP.

Gluttony
11-12-2011, 11:52 PM
Lol, I'm not a leader so none of that is directed at me. Some of it I did at one point and it ended in flames so I've altered my approach since then:

I was never taught the golden rule, so I say what I think needs to be said negative or otherwise.

I mentioned using the search function once and it ended in flames, so I learned players are going to create threads no matter what, there is a bit of mystery surrounding how one cannot necro post but one cannot start a new thread on an old topic. Guess some questions are best left unanswered. If I see a topic that has been discusses I usually redirect to the old thread and quote the best solution.

I only pull out the grammar card when I cannot understand the point one is trying to make.

On the topic of double posting and post boosting, I could care less who chooses to do it. I've heard that some apps don't allow one to edit their posts so that could explain some doubles. Sometimes I wonder if players think that the forum is going to run out of space, like a notebook runs out of paper so they are trying to conserve the precious online trees.

I do flame and have a few green bars (with no reasonable explanation as to how I got them), so maybe I should shoulder that one... maybe not.

Threats are pointless since it's all fun and games, an Internet tough guy isn't something I aim to be.

Overall it's a spot on critique of what seems to be going on lately. Being on the forums does take up time if you're willing to let it and once it is no longer fun then moving on is the best possible solution. See you in game (unless I really was one of the people you were talking about).
*bites nails*

Edit: I usually end up editing my posts for fear of the grammar police. There is nothing worse than having your entire point made moot simply because you used he instead of she, their instead of there or the famous iPhone auto-incorrection decided to change a word entirely.

Conradin
11-12-2011, 11:58 PM
I am imune to thee flames =)I only use the search function if I want to Necro posts- Ive used it 4 times

Ellyidol
11-13-2011, 12:19 AM
Ironic. Drama within the drama. Dramception.

Lowlyspy
11-13-2011, 12:29 AM
lol we are all guilty of these points at some point, no one can escape that fact. humans arent perfect, the way we think isnt perfect, nothing we do is perfect, just gotta learn to move on and enjoy life :)

sorry the forums have become so negative for you zheo, im certain i am one of those people who has deterred you from the forums and i am very sorry for that. IMO i only see negativity on threads that start with negativity and normally i leave them alone after i read the OP and go about enjoying all the other funny/informative posts all throughout this forum, i dont think this place will ever turn out for me the way it did for you, my ADD doesnt let me dwell on negativity for too long lol. Like everyone else on this thread will most likely post, see you ingame and i hope you will someday change your mind and return to this wonderous place :)

Tvis
11-13-2011, 12:41 AM
I agree with these points. I joined more than a year ago and am pretty shocked by what has come of the forums. I'm sorry to see that it's come to a point where it's time to leave the forums.

SUPAPRODIGY
11-13-2011, 01:19 AM
100% agree

Cahaun
11-13-2011, 01:31 AM
Lol a drama filled post complaining about people complaning and drama.
Now back to topic. It's sad to hear that you are quitting. I have fallen victom a few times to some of the natural problems as we all had. (just look in the beta archives. I was feisty back then. ;))

zuesmirza
11-13-2011, 01:35 AM
Well said I totally agree..

And the people and thier habits you are complaining about did'nt even left this post too..

Well thats the reason i visit the forums once in 2 or 3 weeks to check the trader's market...

And the reason for all of this is a STUPID SHIELD AND TO BE CALLED AS GUARDIAN OF ATTERA..

Gluttony
11-13-2011, 02:06 AM
In btw whats AOA?

Ambassadors of Alterra. Read about it HERE (http://www.spacetimestudios.com/showthread.php?40219-Introducing-the-Ambassadors-of-Alterra).

After careful consideration, we've made our selections for the founding members of the Ambassadors of Alterra. We looked specifically at those who have been a part of the design process for the program, and those who have a history of helping. We also selected a few that aren't as established in the community, but seemed bright and wanted to give them a chance to shine.

For those just learning about this, Ambassadors of Alterra are a group of players whose main function is to help new players on the site get started and assimilate into the game and community. Soon you will see them in-world on alternate accounts with special costumes. Be sure to say hi!

Moogerfooger
11-13-2011, 02:44 AM
- I bet one on the "english majors" on here has found something wrong with this post.

One "on"? I LOLd. In a funny way. Well played, and if it wasn't intentional, even better.

Sassinya
11-13-2011, 03:00 AM
Thank you for stating some of what I have been thinking lately myself. I try not to say things that I wouldn't want said to myself.
I try not to police, but if I am guilty of it, I am sorry.
Please stay, we need open minded, free thinking spirited people here :eek:

LwMark
11-13-2011, 04:05 AM
Zheotare right on tha muny!
Never talked to you but hopefully see u n game
Ign:lwmark

ninjaduck
11-13-2011, 04:54 AM
Wow well said bro. I think we're guildmates so hope to meet ya sometime soon! :)

Redbridge
11-13-2011, 05:23 AM
Pretty much spot on.... I felt exactly like this a few months ago.

It's sad that many of us (including me probably) feel the need to be 'more equal' than others and possibly drive people away from the forums.

There are probably 100's of players who have looked in on the forums and wondered what all the drama is about, and left. Not great...

People are understandably passionate about the games and their posts, but often, when highlighting or policing stuff, we all need to take more time to explain the 'why'..... It's frustrating we might have said the same thing over and over but it's not an excuse to be blunt, or bordering on rude.

Its been said so many times, but its only a game. Nobody really dies, and it's the same on the forums. No one dies if there's a double post or a duplicate thread. It would be nice to have a perfectly symmetrical forum but its not gonna happen. And, there are always gonna be new posters who don't know the score but these are their forums too....

Lets not drive anymore people away, lets try to be considerate and offer a full/supportive answer when highlighting or policing OR if you can't offer a supportive answer when policing the forums then don't bother posting...

Great Thread, needed to be said but don't leave just take a break for a bit.

If I am one of the people you are referring to above then please feel free to say or even PM me, I'd be gutted to know i'd contributed to making you feel this way.

EDIT: If you're easily offended look at this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cycXuYzmzNg

SuperNas
11-13-2011, 05:54 AM
Amen! I barley ever want to post on the forums cuz its 100% guaranteed that someone will show you how to correctly spell words and most the time its coming from top members. I am not the only one that feels this way, other people I kno in game have quit the forums before too...but I now know who the smart butts on the forums are and I learned to completely ignore their post. Some community

Blind
11-13-2011, 06:47 AM
Man u r awesome.

Everyone go look at the oldest threads on the first pages. People could say whatever they wanted to and everyone had interesting or entertaining arguments. Now if someone says a word, everyone begins to show off their keen sense of threads locks. What an amazing phenomenon hahah.

Sorcererssoul
11-13-2011, 07:56 AM
You rep meter is green or red. Kinda like the Christmas colors.
I won't think less of you because your bar is red. I see people on here with 3 or 4 green bars. I think they do more flaming than most people.
But, since the main group of forum people keep giving them thumbs up, they get lots of green bars. Those people have red bars in my eyes.

I totally agree with all your aspects, but mostly with this one.
People are misabusing the rep meter.
Like with xxxmikelxxx, when he posted his all lvl 60's are mean thread his rep meter went down badly.
Was it so hurtfull to all of your feelings what he said. He probably just had some bad encounters and wanted to clear his mind...
Also, I was this happen quite alot:
Some people had 'fights in game', and afterwards they went to the forum just to spoil this guys rep. bar.
Is that where the rep. bar is for?
Just to make people look bad...

SUPAPRODIGY
11-13-2011, 08:21 AM
Good thing ellyidol is on my Permanent IGNORE list :) so I don't see her messages :)

Ellyidol
11-13-2011, 08:26 AM
Good thing ellyidol is on my Permanent IGNORE list :) so I don't see her messages :)

A challenge to a provocation left unattended is cowardice.

Let's settle this in private, shall we? Inbox.

PS. I must be the manliest she.

Gluttony
11-13-2011, 08:32 AM
Well I can explain the anti-positivity in the sense, as I see it being negative usually sparks a response or change from the devs before supportive/creative ideation. I'll use the accidental removal of the shield of hallows as an example: Example #1 (http://www.spacetimestudios.com/showthread.php?40464-Shield-of-Hallows) is a supportive thread that points out a problem in the proper section with a simple explanation as to the root of the issue, it gets one reply and no dev love. Example #2 (http://www.spacetimestudios.com/showthread.php?40466-No-more-SHIELD) is a rant that personifies drama and negativity, but it warrants a dev response within minutes. So I think some of us have been conditioned to understand that sometimes a good rant gets things done, but a well thought out preemptive thread doesn't get any action.

Redbridge
11-13-2011, 09:30 AM
Well I can explain the anti-positivity in the sense, as I see it being negative usually sparks a response or change from the devs before supportive/creative ideation. I'll use the accidental removal of the shield of hallows as an example: Example #1 (http://www.spacetimestudios.com/showthread.php?40464-Shield-of-Hallows) is a supportive thread that points out a problem in the proper section with a simple explanation as to the root of the issue, it gets one reply and no dev love. Example #2 (http://www.spacetimestudios.com/showthread.php?40466-No-more-SHIELD) is a rant that personifies drama and negativity, but it warrants a dev response within minutes. So I think some of us have been conditioned to understand that sometimes a good rant gets things done, but a well thought out preemptive thread doesn't get any action.

Thats a really good point..... never thought about it like that before...

hmm.. sweet

MoarPewPew
11-13-2011, 10:18 AM
This site has become uncreative, unsupportive, annoying, and drama filled.

I disagree with some of these points because I have seen many positive post that help others. As well of some of are members are very creative when it comes to art and guides. I do agree we have some drama.

We are a community and yes we have some flaws. All we can do is try to work together to make the forums run more smoothly. As with an increase with player base to the forums not all people are used to the ways of the forum. Everyone on sees things in a different light and we just need to try and be accepting of others and try to help them become a "model forum member."

DanielRH
11-13-2011, 10:35 AM
Hmm... Well said.

My motto is post only if needed by the community.

Aikiebo
11-13-2011, 11:36 AM
I hope that you do not quit the forums. Everything you said in you post is 100% accurate. Things will get better, much better if you stay and continue to speak your mind. This will encourage all the others who have been thinking the same things to speak their mind. (Although, no one, imo, will ever be able to word these thoughts as well as you did).

You are actually giving people hope!! Please stay.

Yes, there are a few members who constantly "police" the forums. I hope they hear what you said in your op and just stop. They are not trying to hurt the forum. In fact, in their mind, they think they are helping. But, they are not. They hurt the forum by making it such an unfriendly place to visit.

You said: "If you don't have anything nice to say, then don't say anything at all". YES! This is exactly the rule people should be following. What is the one thing that STS tells us to do, everytime we zone? "Be nice and have fun"

We all have to try to be nice, act right and respect all those around us. Even if they have different ideas.

Don't when you log onto SL one of the things it says is "Deleting Haters". Of coure, that is just tounge in cheek. But, all this hating and rudeness on this forum needs to stop.

This tiny few who police the forum very, very often guilty of the same things they tell others not to do. That is one of the things that is so frustrating about this situ is sometimes there is just a tad too much hypocracy. There is a whole lot of policing others, but not so much each other. This is leading to an awful, mind-numbing cloud of aprehension that is literally scareing people, especially new people, away from the forums.

Part of the problem, is that these tiny, few "forum police officers" have made up rules or interpreted actual forum rules in a way that they approve of but that has not been sanctioned by STS. An example of this is this bizarre hatred for necro posting. Necro posting isn't technically even in the rules. Bumping posts to keep them on top of the page is. Bumping posts just to keep them on top and necro posting isn't exactly the same thing.

I hope you do not quit. We need you on this forum if you would like to stay.

Oh, and everything you said about power leveling is spot on, 100% accurate.

I really, really want to thank you for taking the time for making this post. If you leave, the forum will be loosing a winner. But, if you do leave, I wish you well and I know you will do well cause you have such a postive approach.

Thank you, thank you, thank you, there is no possible way to thank you enough.

edit: the problems of necro posting is more complicated than just what I said above, necro posting can be discussed so that members have a better understanding of the do's and don'ts. Just didn't take the time to do that here, cuz was just using it as an example of what I was otherwise saying.

Zeus
11-13-2011, 11:47 AM
Figured I'd repost this here, since I think I addressed a few valid points. Zheo, this is a really good thread. As said, one cannot be aware of his faults if not made aware.

As Elly said, power gets to people's heads. At some points, it has even got to my head. I took a good look at my post history and discovered that I'm slowly turning into one of those trolls I always despised. Half a year ago, most of my posts were helpful and nice. Now? They still deliver the same information, but it seems when I go back and read them, they deliver information in a pompous way. I'm trying to figure out how to change that, as that's always been the last thing I want to be.

I would be all for abolishing the GoA/SG programs. I took off my title for a reason. I think part of the reason why I got pompous was wearing that title. When I first became GoA, I made a promise to myself not to be that person. Thus, when I think I am, I take the title off, essentially "stripping" myself so to speak.

Some flaws I think I have:

• Grammar: I tended to critique others on grammar, but that's only when I can't understand the post. Instead of being selfish and being more considerate towards others, I'm going to try and abolish that habit. :/

• Friends: I don't think we as a whole realize our posts are viewed by thousands of people daily. Since only the main forumers tend to post, the forums gives off an exclusive view, kind of like the Phoenix Club. :(

• Typing: Our typing is harsh, even though it may not appear to be. I am guilty of such as well. I looked at my post history and the way I used to remedy it was inserting smileys. It's like a handshake; it keeps things friendly. :)

Just a few suggestions, I plan on using most of these myself. :)

Buubuuftw
11-13-2011, 12:28 PM
I've decided to quit the forums. This site has become uncreative, unsupportive, annoying, and drama filled. The only thing I get out of this now is negativity, and the feeling that I can't do anything on here without the "forum police" saying something. I can show in example in almost any new post where people are telling a previous poster that something they said, or did, was wrong, was already said in another thread, or correcting their grammar And this is coming from the supposed "leaders" of the forums.

Here's a thought... Fall back to what your parents/parent/guardian taught, or should have taught, you. If you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything. Or if you don't have anything to add to the conversation, don't speak.

Here is somethings I have observed, or have already pondered. Maybe you should ponder these things too...

- Every main topic, and most of the minor ones, that can be covered, have been covered. Maybe the OP doesn't know how to use the search
function. Maybe they didn't find the information they wanted. Maybe they just want to make their own post. In the end, what does it matter??
Seriously, if there are 20 threads on where is the best place to farm gold, does one more post hurt?? Maybe, just maybe, someone found a

- If I'm not allowed to create a thread that has been created before, why can't I post on an old thread? I mean, I have a question that I want
answered. I see that there is a thread asking the question, I would like more information. Oh wait, the thread is over two weeks old. I am not
allowed to post on there, or I will be "frowned upon" for necro-posting. Or maybe I have been gone for awhile, and this is my first time back on
the forums. I see a funny thread, and would like to add to it. But now I can't because it's been too long. Shame on me.

- You have written the same opinion on power leveling, double posting, creating a similar thread, necro-posting, post boosting, and whatever else
you "frown upon". Search for it. If I can't create a similar thread, you can't give me a similar opinion.

- I didn't know there were so many english majors on here. If I spell a word wrong, forget a punctuation, use a wrong abbreviation, or do
something else that "frowned upon" by the english language, so what?? Did you get the message I was trying to get across?? Yes, move on.
No, ask for clarification. However, the fact that you are correcting me, says you got the point I was making.

- I can buy 1.5x, 2x, 3x, and 4x elixers with plat. Guess what? I just paid STS to power level me. Power leveling is "frowned upon". Are you
"frowning upon" STS right now? No, then get over it. I agree people need to learn to play the game. They can learn how to play any way they
want. I personally don't power level someone, unless I know them, or they have another toon, and know how to play. If I host a game and a
bad player joins, I still finish the run. I try to teach them how to play. If after a couple runs, they show they don't care to learn, I boot them...
with a real reason.

- My opinion is just that... mine. Give me your opinion, comments, or thoughts. Don't tell me how stupid, wrong, or noobish I am. Because at
that point, your opinion is as stupid, wrong, or noobish as you think mine is.

- You are boosting your post count by complaining that I'm boosting my post count.

- A post count is a number. You don't win a prize for the most posts of the day. You rep meter is green or red. Kinda like the Christmas colors.

- "Frowning upon" someone is an idle threat. Do you pay attention to idle threats in real life? No, then stop giving them out on here.

- Don't say I'm walking on thin ice. In case you haven't realized, you can't really do anything to me. Again, idle threat.

- I bet there is stuff I'm leaving out.

I've met some pretty descent people on here. And some of the people I thought were cool, have shown me how hypocritical, arrogant, immature, or petty they really are. Just like in real life, I don't really speak to them anymore. The negativity has gotten so bad on here, it's making me not enjoy playing PL. I actually feel a sense of relief knowing that I won't be on here anymore.

See ya in the game!!
Aww Zheo! I have actually been noticing quite a few users come and go lately. Anyways, if your reading this, thanks for the help with farming SSC and see you in-game.

modredd
11-13-2011, 12:42 PM
Being honest isn't drama.
Saying someone is dramatic is your perception.I agree with the thread
:indecisiveness:

AbsolutePally
11-13-2011, 01:38 PM
I agree with you.
Im now officially turned off by the forums.
I'd go into more but I do not wanna thread into those waters. Thanks for this post and for calling people out on their dodo.

Aikiebo
11-13-2011, 02:28 PM
Ironic. Drama within the drama. Dramception.

This isn't drama. The forum exists to:

1. provide a place for constructive discussion.

2. provide rule to keep the forums a nice place for everyone to visit.

3. to provide a platform for the exchange of ideas.

Those three lines are from the first three paragraphs of the forum rules.

Sometimes, if someone doesn't like what someone else is saying, instead of using logic/reason they just resort to trying to discredit the idea or even the person by "labeling" it as something it is really not.

This is an excellent thread and should be stickied, imo.

Evaruss
11-13-2011, 02:52 PM
Thank you Zheo for sharing your observations which I thought were pretty accurate.

I too have seen really pointless posts by the "forum police" that were not adding any valuable insights such as:
- "frowned upon" (err and the point is?)
- "the search function is your friend" (without providing any additional information to respond to the OP's question. It's ok if links were provided)
- "hasn't this been posted before" (again not providing additional information but making another pointless negative comment)
- "let this thread die" (biggest irony as their latest post asking for the thread to die is actually bumping the thread)

Having said that, I think only a small minority are guilty of consistently doing the above. I do think that most people are generally helpful and try to add value through their posts. Not everyone is bothered about inflating their post count with "policing" or "yeah, what he said" posts.

I hope knowing that you are not alone in your views would help you reconsider your decision.

Ellyidol
11-13-2011, 03:24 PM
Just food for thought, something that I have noticed which caused the overall tension and attitude in the forums: rants.

In my entire forum life, I have not opened up and been greeted by this much rants about rushing, scamming, booting, guild issues, than before. These things have been in the game, guilds excluded, yet only now has there been an extreme inflow of these things to the forums.

It contributes to the overall frustration, don't you think? In the words of a good friend, gone are the days where actual discussion on game mechanics exist on the forums. The discussions seem to have evolved into the four things mentioned: rushing, booting, scamming, and guild issues.

I'm with Apollo on this one. Abolish the entire rep and elitist statuses. The real GoA's and like could not care less if a title was removed. Others seem to think that this title removes the human aspect from us. Our opinions immediately turn to elitism.

Sometimes, if someone doesn't like what someone else is saying, instead of using logic/reason they just resort to trying to discredit the idea or even the person by "labeling" it as something it is really not.

This was intended for humor. Obviously not well received.

1. Agree. Unfortunate that almost all discussion on booting, rushing, scamming, and guild issues have resulted in flames.

2. The rules need to be made more explicit. How many of us actually just skip to the "Agree" button when rules pop up, yet never read them afterwards?

3. Yes, definitely.

As "useful" as this thread is, I don't think it's in the best interest of the forum to have it stickied. A sticky on quitting?

Aikiebo
11-13-2011, 04:02 PM
Just food for thought, something that I have noticed which caused the overall tension and attitude in the forums: rants.

In my entire forum life, I have not opened up and been greeted by this much rants about rushing, scamming, booting, guild issues, than before. These things have been in the game, guilds excluded, yet only now has there been an extreme inflow of these things to the forums.

It contributes to the overall frustration, don't you think? In the words of a good friend, gone are the days where actual discussion on game mechanics exist on the forums. The discussions seem to have evolved into the four things mentioned: rushing, booting, scamming, and guild issues.

This was intended for humor. Obviously not well received.

Ellyidol, sorry, didn't see the humor at first. My bad. It is kinda funny, lol.

Just in responce to some of what you were saying, the problems that exist with a tiny percentage of people patroling the forum boards (all of the boards) to police them has nothing to do with the topics that are being discussed. These few forum police officers seem to know no boundires in their very unfriendly and usually rude responces to people.

It's not the subject of the threads that is the problem. It's that a few think they have the right to boss around to enforce rules that frequently don't even exist. They are simply enforcing their personal opinions.

People don't have the right to modify the forum rules (that are very important) and then just go around nicely or rudely enforcing their personal opinions.

I understand that some may get frustrated if the converstations were on just those four subjects (rushing, scamming, booting and guild issues), but I'm not sure what you mean. I looked at the last 100 posts in General Discussion. Only 3 were on those topics. That's only 3%, that's not that high at all.

I didn't look at the PvP or Guild boards (which is where the threads on rushing and guild issues should be). So the solution to this is easy, if those issues bother a person don't go to those boards.

But the important thing here, is that this unfreindly, forum-killing policing is happening on every subject and every board that these few people want to do this to. It's not the subject matter that is the problem. It's the inappropriate behavior by a small handfull of folks.

And yeah, about the stickie, your right, I meant to take out the part about quitting and using this as a primer on forum ettiquete cuz it is AMAZING.

Again, there is no possible way to thank Zheotare enough for this post. But that won't stop me from trying:

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!

SUPAPRODIGY
11-13-2011, 05:32 PM

A challenge to a provocation left unattended is cowardice.

Let's settle this in private, shall we? Inbox.

PS. I must be the manliest she.

Nope once your in ignore there's no going out and me actually messaging you would only get me banned so i say no and I though you were a girl as elly is a girl name so no hard feelings IGNORE you will stay ...

Zeus
11-13-2011, 05:35 PM
Nope once your in ignore there's no going out and me actually messaging you would only get me banned so i say no and I though you were a girl as elly is a girl name so no hard feelings IGNORE you will stay ...

You do realize by flaming and causing drama by calling others out, you're just providing more evidence as to what the OP had problems with on the forums? You ignored him; I'm not going to judge you for it. Calling it out though just calls for drama. Just my thoughts! :)

Cheers

~Parth

Aikiebo
11-13-2011, 06:37 PM
Yup I would say something against someone here but them been a guardian of alterra samhayne would be banning me permanently as I would have to say freedom of speech doesn't work anymore people are flaming you and telling you to get out of here because I would say there either GOA or AOA so I agree forums is for the wallet players that want more attention ...
IMO

Really? You're going to use that GOA double-standard here?

Do you actually remember what you said, in both a thread and private messages, that got you in trouble, or do I need to put it up again?

Even though, I am quoting Ellyidol here, I am responding to Apollo's last post.

I'm sorry, but I do not know how to quote from two different posts while using this forum app. If I did know, I would have done that to make things easier.

Apollo's last post was trying to point out to Supaprodigy that he was "flaming and causing drama by 'calling out' Ellyidol". He then went on to say that Supaprodigy was doing what the OP was talking about.

Hmmm... read the quote and the quote within the quote that I put at the top of this post. Can you see the point that I am about to make?

This was Supaprodigy's first post in this thread and Ellyidol's first response. Who called out who?

I have seen a lot of flaming and drama on this forum, but to literally call someone out is not something I have seen that often. And that is what Ellyidol did here.

This is what happens a lot:

Guy A: some seasoned, board elite, that loves to go around policing other's makes some sort of rude comment that completely violates the letter and the spirit of the forum rules. But they think their comment is pretty awesome.

Guy B: some newer person, not necesarily even new, just newer, not one of this "in crowd" tries to defend themselves.

Guy A and/or Guy A's buddies flame Guy B, accusing Guy B of starting trouble. When it was Guy A all along.

Sometimes, the reason why Guy A and his buddies act this way, or at least the way it seems, is that a few Guy A's act and maybe actually even think that the supposed "rules" they spend countless hours enforcing don't apply to them and their buddies ONLY to others.

Other times, the reason Guy A and his buddies act this way, is they JUST NOT THINKING STRAIGHT.

But this is exactly what happened here. Suparaprodigy didn't mention anyone by name at all. The "calling out" was someone else.

This happens all the time.

If Guy A starts a problem, why doesn't Guy A handle it instead of letting his buddies do all the dirty work?

This happens all the time. Don't believe me?

Someone in this thread mentioned xxxmikelxxx and how badly he was treated in the thread he made about the high level rudes.

I think if there is anyone who has any harsh feelings or negative thoughts about xxxmikelxxx, they really ought to reconsider. 90 minutes before he started that thread about the high-level ruddess, he was jumped by one of the board elites on another thread. It was like his 8th post. He talked about finally working up the nerve to post on the forum. He does, and some "forum police" jumped him. Because this BRAND NEW member didn't live up to these precious high-standards of hyper-perfectionism that a handful of people try to enforce.

And I watched and waited thru every comment to see if this guy was going to 'fess up and say what happened and try to explain, kinda apologize like:

xxxmikelxxx, i hope I didn't offend you, i wasnt trying to, i was just saying. .................. etc. but, NOPE, never happened.

This guy sat there and let xxxmikelxxx take the heat for days, some of the rudest most obnoxious comments ever made. Even tho this guy who started the problem posted several times on the thread before it was locked. He had plenty of chances to 'fess up and try to diffuse the situ and try to help the forum as a whole and this new player in particular. But he chose not to.

So, please people just cause someone is not part of the elite, top-level members on this board, we all have the same rights and responsibilities.

There is NO double standard. Several times in several different posts, in just the last few days, someone said, "how dare you critisize someone so well respected" or something to that affect. There is NO double standard. You shouldn't flame/disrespect anyone". There is no double standard. It's not ok to disrepect ANYONE.

Ellyidol
11-13-2011, 06:56 PM
Too long a post to quote. To be honest, it was water under the bridge. It wouldn't take any form of high intelligence to recognize who he was calling out. Simple knowledge of brief forum history is more than enough to point out what he was implying. Of course, I don't assume that anyone else recall said history, which is why I asked if I should bother pointing it out.

I'm sorry, but trying to wittingly call me out is as equally offensive as stating my name outright. Most especially since I know who he is referring to.

Again, I could care less about someone who's caps bar was probably stuck in when he typed his name out (see what I did there?), but to call me out, obviously to me, I will answer to.

And yes, there is a double standard. I don't mean this in any condescending way, but it almost takes one to see it. Countless times has the phrase or comment "Oh because he's a GoA." been used or been played. Something that any player could have said, done, or achieved without the title.

I will stand by what I said, it seems that our comments and opinions are seen as GoA produced rather than personally produced.

Finally, please do not try and ride a band-wagon or wave against me. That's only a point against you and I actually find it fun.

PS. Settle anything with me in my inbox. As mentioned, I agree that this is a wonderful thread and would like to prevent it from erupting due to historical caps and exclamation points.

Aikiebo
11-13-2011, 07:06 PM
Too long a post to quote. To be honest, it was water under the bridge. It wouldn't take any form of high intelligence to recognize who he was calling out. Simple knowledge of brief forum history is more than enough to point out what he was implying. Of course, I don't assume that anyone else recall said history, which is why I asked if I should bother pointing it out.

I'm sorry, but trying to wittingly call me out is as equally offensive as stating my name outright. Most especially since I know who he is referring to.

Again, I could care less about someone who's caps bar was probably stuck in when he typed his name out (see what I did there?), but to call me out, obviously to me, I will answer to.

And yes, there is a double standard. I don't mean this in any condescending way, but it almost takes one to see it. Countless times has the phrase or comment "Oh because he's a GoA." been used or been played. Something that any player could have said, done, or achieved without the title.

I will stand by what I said, it seems that our comments and opinions are seen as GoA produced rather than personally produced.

Finally, please do not try and ride a band-wagon or wave against me. That's only a point against you and I actually find it fun.

PS. Settle anything with me in my inbox. As mentioned, I agree that this is a wonderful thread and would like to prevent it from erupting due to historical caps and exclamation points.

Ellyidol, no, I have no idea what is going on 'tween you and sup. If it is something major or something minor, I am sorry it is happening. But, I have no idea what it isw. I read General Discussion almost everyday, except during the Halloween weeks and kinda hit and miss since. So if something is going on that you are assuming others no about, it either did not happen in General Discussion or it happened during these times I just mentioned.

But it doesn't matter.

Why? Because supra didn't use any names, was trying to follow forum rules by not mentioning names. So, maybe lots knew what is the prob. Idk. But, he was trying to follow rules, you called him out. But what I was responding to was Apollo, who quoted supra from much later in this thread, totally ignoring the facts and accused him, when he really wasn't the one that started it. He was trying to say he thoughts in a way that would be consistent with the forum idea of not flaming, etc.

LOL, omg, don't you think that the comment about "all caps" bit out of line. Lot's of people have all caps in their name. Doesn't Necroreaper? No one is trying or should try to be petty, ok?

I have no idea what goin on tween you and prod, I am truely not taking sides, i dont even know what it is. I was pointing out how there is such an awful rude double standard.

And "bandwagon/wave of hate", I again, have no idea what your talking about. It's not happening in this thread. And if it is happening in other places, then it shouldn't be. A bandwagon of hate would be ridic and awful and not something I would be interested in.

Ellyidol
11-13-2011, 07:25 PM
Like I mentioned, obvious calling out, whether obvious to me or someone else, is equally as potent as stating my name outright.

I'll admit, yes I did call him out, in fact, I should have done that via private messaging. That was my mistake, I apologize. I guess you learn something new everyday. Next time, I'll leave out names but explicitly imply who I mean.

Ake, please note that this discussion doesn't mean that I have anything against you. I completely agree with what you said, everyone should be treated with respect. If my responses, past and current, prove to be disrespectful, please point them out so I can be made aware.

Hankomachos
11-13-2011, 07:41 PM
I don't mean to fuel the fire but I understand what zheo said by the forums being
drama filled

Let's get back to the topic, eh? No more mindless nonsense. :)

Aikiebo
11-13-2011, 07:42 PM
Like I mentioned, obvious calling out, whether obvious to me or someone else, is equally as potent as stating my name outright.

I'll admit, yes I did call him out, in fact, I should have done that via private messaging. That was my mistake, I apologize. I guess you learn something new everyday. Next time, I'll leave out names but explicitly imply who I mean.

Ake, please note that this discussion doesn't mean that I have anything against you. I completely agree with what you said, everyone should be treated with respect. If my responses, past and current, prove to be disrespectful, please point them out so I can be made aware.

I know what you mean, about that you knew that he was talking about you. Just like the guy that started the trouble with xxxmikelxxx knows who I am talking about. I am not mentioning names in hopes he will be honest and come forth. And also, to specifically respect the ideals of the forum rules i.e. don't flame anyone. But the guy that caused the problem for xxxmikelxxx knows exactly who I mean.

But, see, that is what prod was at least trying to do. Sure, you and anyone else that is personally aware of the situ would also know. But the point is, he tried to state his opinion with out flaming an actual indvidual.

And please, I have nothing against you. I have not seen bandwagon / wave of hate against you. If I did I would have spoken out against it. People should be able to say what they want to say without spreading hate/flames.

So, if you serious about bandwagon of hate, they need to stop being so childish and arrogant.

I think bandwagon or wave of hate would be awful to have to put up with, I am sorry that is happening.

Ellyidol
11-13-2011, 07:50 PM
Yes, I see your point. In fairness, though, I tried to limit any flaming possible in my first post towards him. I don't think I burnt him outright, but gave him the choice to be reminded of the past.

All is good in my book. Told you it was dramception. Drama injected ;)

Zeus
11-13-2011, 07:52 PM
PM'd you Aikiebo, as I want to try and diffuse the drama from here.

Aikiebo
11-13-2011, 08:08 PM
Yes, I see your point. In fairness, though, I tried to limit any flaming possible in my first post towards him. I don't think I burnt him outright, but gave him the choice to be reminded of the past.

All is good in my book. Told you it was dramception. Drama injected ;)

Yes, I see that you did try.

Please, understand, I'm not trying to get involved in this situ tween the two of ya. I have not idea what going on, none of my business. I truly hope it works out for both of you.

I was just using this as an exanmple of what happens all the time, but already explained all that. Truly not trying to foucus on ur guy's situ. I don't even know what it is. I was just usingt this as example of what happens on the forum.

@Apollo

I wasn't trying to flame you or anything, I was just pointing out what happens all the time. The actual specifics of that situ is none of my business and I hope no one has to put up with hate cuz of it.

Thank you for pm'ing me. But, lol, won't do much good. Cuz I'm not sure I get my pm on this device. But, I know I can not respond, I have tried. I am very sorry about that. So not trying to ignore your pm at all.

But not to worry, I'm not worried about the specifics of this situ. I was just pointing out what happens all the time. When you made that post to Supaprod, I doubt you even ment to do what I was saying. Prob just posting in haste or w/e. I know you not trying to start prob. on purpose. I was just using that as an example of how it is unfair to newer people sometimes - a lot of times. That is all.

Oh yeah, and dramception, lol.

Ellyidol
11-13-2011, 08:14 PM
Nor am I trying to involve anyone, as a matter of fact.

I have to thank you, more than anything, for pointing out the behavior. I'll take note of it and improve it in the future. Thanks. Sincerely, no sarcasm.

SUPAPRODIGY
11-13-2011, 08:23 PM
what ever it is i don't care anymore i will drop this as of now and if i offended you in anyway im sorry but when i posted here i never meant to hurt anyones feelings... so sorry and have a nice day

SUPAPRODIGY and having all caps in your name it just stands out from the others so see what i mean good day

SP...
:eek:

Battlelock
11-13-2011, 08:33 PM
This thread is proving Zheo's point.

SUPAPRODIGY
11-13-2011, 08:40 PM
^ yes it is if goes any further I will quit Forums,PocketLegends and Starlegends forever..

:( so sad such an amazing piece of games and i will leave with nothing for people to remember me as farewell ..
SP....

WhoIsThis
11-13-2011, 08:59 PM
For a person that purports to complain about forum drama, this thread has created quite a bit of what he/she finds so distasteful.

SuperNas
11-13-2011, 10:22 PM
Here's my thing...I believe the forums should be ran by moderators hand picked by the devs themselves Cuz right now imo this is community ran which is good sometimes but it seems like a few members tend to think that they are the Developers gift to the forums. I remember a few weeks ago my grammar was attacked by 2 very known people of our community because they thought I was being rude....there is no tone in text so it is impossible to know how someone feels...but like I said I just completely ignore those type of people now.... yeah that's all I got to say.
Edit:
Thx for being the voice of this community!

WoundedEagle
11-13-2011, 11:01 PM

On the topic of the first three points: Honestly, I only hate necro-posting when people do it for fun. When they have a question, regardless of if the OP is present on forums, it doesn't really interfere with my life. If you post on an old thread, people will tell you to create a new thread, but when you create a new thread, they say to use the search function. You may find an old thread with the information you want, but it isn't enough so why not post on that old thread than make a new one? I concur, it doesn't hurt anyone.

Ehhh, I only do this for people I hope not to offend. Like Parth for instance, we have our tom-foolery of correctly each other and our friends. But I agree that some people sometimes just pot to correct instead of providing their opinion or any thing helpful.

A lot of people double-post. I double-post, and most of the time I say sorry for double-posting. Most people just don't like it when there is an option to correct in the Edit area rather than post again, which goes into the fact why people think it also raises their post-count.

with a real reason. Technically, they aren't power-leveling you, they're providing a boost. It is only frowned upon if you are power-leveling someone who just hasn't experienced the game. I actually learned more grinding to 61.... i didn't know there was a graveyard in Haunted Symphony.......

that point, your opinion is as stupid, wrong, or noobish as you think mine is. Haters gon' hate. And if you aren't getting hated on, you aren't doing it right.
H-having
A-anger
T-towards
E-everyone
R-reaching
S-success

- You are boosting your post count by complaining that I'm boosting my post count. I agree, sometimes it is nagging. But sometimes it is just a point of saying, 'Really?' I could care less about my post-count.

But, since the main group of forum people keep giving them thumbs up, they get lots of green bars. Those people have red bars in my eyes. I concur. This needs to be set in stone and shown to all...On you saying us with green bars are in your eyes, red bars kind of people, I don't agree, yet you have your opinion. Though a bit contradictory as you said green bars, or red bars, you don't judge...

- Don't say I'm walking on thin ice. In case you haven't realized, you can't really do anything to me. Again, idle threat. Just kind of a warning. I suppose it comes across rude but believe it or not, devs do ban...
- I bet one on the "english majors" on here has found something wrong with this post. Your statement, but who cares if you are corrected.

- I bet there is stuff I'm leaving out. Can't fit everything into one post buddy.

- I bet there isn't a thread like this that's been made. If there is, I won't know. I didn't search for it. There isn't nor would anyone search for it.

I pondered this all, and I thought of many things.

Here is logic that may not be useful to some:

If you take for steps forward to become almighty, yet take three steps back to solve a problem that doesn't partake in your life, you take two steps forward to be granted honor for your work in solving said problem, whilst taking one step back to continue...

And this thread has made me think deeply on all of its contents. Not to say I agree with it all, but the majority.

I wouldn't want to see you go, but I will indeed catch you in-game.

Sincerely,
-we

ZHEOTARE
11-13-2011, 11:08 PM
I was talking to one of the people that have posted on this thread, and they told me that it had a lot of traffic, and I needed to check it out. I wasn't expecting to see so many responses.

First of all, I'd like to thank everyone who has read this, whether they posted or not. As I told the person in game, If at least two people, as well as themselves, change what they are doing, then maybe that will spread to others. This thread was not created to complain about what I see as issues in the forums. I created this thread to explain why I was leaving, and to give the ones that read this points to ponder. I can, however, see where on would take it as complaining. What I tried to convey was criticism, not complaining.

There are a few things that I have realized in reading all of the responses in this thread. I'd like to respond to some of them...

There are more people on here unhappy with the attitudes that get portrayed on here, then are satisfied. This should tell everyone that they need to check what they say, before they hit reply. As I told the person in game, "self evaluation is a very important lesson to learn in life". Before you write a response, re-read it. Put yourself in the shoes of someone reading it. What message/attitude are you wanting to portray?? Is that message/attitude really being portrayed?? If not, delete and re-write.

There are more people on here that do offer constructive criticism, then don't. The problem is, they don't post for fear that their opinion will be mocked. What some people fail to realize is that there is a difference between arguing and debating. Supa and Elly = argument. Elly and Aikiebo = debating. If you are responding to what someone said while angry, that is an argument. Let it go. Or, come back later, and write a constructive response.

Elly - You are 100% spot on. The rant threads on here do seem to far outweigh the informative, seeking information, pointing out a bug, etc threads. This will add to the overall perception that the forums are negative. Unfortunately, we can't stop the people from starting these threads. However, we can stop responding to them. Has anyone reading this ever had a time in their life where they just wanted to talk, and have someone listen to them, without responding?? Why can't that be what a rant thread is??

I don't blame the GoA, AoA, or SG programs. I blame the people that think that title makes them better than anyone. Think of this the next time you feel that way... Will you be putting that you are a GoA, AoA, or SG title on your resume?? If no, then let that feeling go. In reality, it should be an honor to be one. You should feel, and act, honored to be one, not empowered. I think the devs need to monitor these people more closely. If they are constantly showing that they can no longer represent the community well, they should strip them of the title.

I do agree the rep bars need to disappear. It does nothing to add to the conversations that should be taking place. I am given the option to add to you rep, or report the post. In the game we can report a scam, inappropriate language, or inappropriate name. I don't think the majority of the reported posts don't qualify for these categories. Also, if you downgrade my rep because you disagree with what I'm saying, and you post a response to what I'm saying that is inflammatory, your rep should be automatically downgraded. The people doing that are the same ones that say "I'm allowed to give my opinion". Guess what?? So is the previous poster. If you think you can state your opinion in anyway you want, so can they. I refer back to my original post... "If you have nothing nice to say, or nothing to add to the conversation, don't say anything at all".

Gluttony's view on how the negativity started, is valid. However, in the instance given, was post #1 made as soon as the bug was discovered?? Maybe the devs saw #2 before they saw #1. The title to #2 definitely draws attention to the post. If I remember correctly, there were a number of post at the time hating on the SoH. Maybe people thought #1 was "just another one of those ranting threads". Your point is often proven in real life by the saying "the person screaming the loudest, is often the only one heard". They are usually not right though. LOL

I should have said in my OP "Most of what I see on this site is uncreative, unsupportive, annoying, and drama filled." I did not mean the entire site is this way.

DanielRH's motto should be made law.

It's good to see that some people that have read this, looked back at old post they made, and saw mistakes. Or, after reading this, they realized they do some of it themselves. Hopefully, they will truly change.

It would be an honor to have this thread stickied, though I agree with Elly that it probably won't due to the topic being about quitting. If the devs wanted me too, I could write a new thread, saying the same things, just not in the context of quitting.

I really do appreciate all the comments that have been made on here. I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one who was feeling this way. If you'd like to talk to me about anything I've said, feel free to message me in game.

Aikiebo
11-14-2011, 12:28 AM
-

I pondered this all, and I thought of many things.

Here is logic that may not be useful to some:

If you take for steps forward to become almighty, yet take three steps back to solve a problem that doesn't partake in your life, you take two steps forward to be granted honor for your work in solving said problem, whilst taking one step back to continue...

And this thread has made me think deeply on all of its contents. Not to say I agree with it all, but the majority.

Sincerely,
-we

we, are you all right?

There are several points that I would like to respond to in this post. But, I'm not sure, well, exactly what to do. Do we need to finish discussing matters from that other post? If so, how should we do it? Don't know if it would be appropriate to discuss it here or what?

Take it easy.

javier995
11-14-2011, 12:52 AM

I'm sorry, but I do not know how to quote from two different posts while using this forum app. If I did know, I would have done that to make things easier..

Copy the first quote, then when you are going to quote the next paste it there. Paste it before the secant quote. I'm pretty sure you can figure out how to make it say you quoted them bout after copying and pasting. If not I'll gladly tell you. :)

Wretch
11-14-2011, 12:53 AM
Well written and great points and insights.... ONLY reason I thanked....

That is all I will say.... For now....

Edit: Have just learned that once you thank someone you cannot neg their comment as well lol!

To those that know me... You know that is me and my personal style/flair/whatever you want to call it.

To those that don't know me... I am who I am, do not expect any more or any less out of me! That said, I do not thank or rep at random(I think it should be removed as well) unless the post nails something close in my mind... To the 3 that I have thanked... I think only 1 has even slightly gotten to know me.... They know who they are... And I'm damn glad to have known them, if only in a game!

SUPAPRODIGY
11-14-2011, 01:07 AM
well said but sometimes in life we wish we could go back in time an change something we wish we could have done better , but sometimes it best to let it go an move on ...

one of my favorites quotes was from a book i once read that said "The Day We Die is the Day we don't fight back against whats wrong" end quote but hey we all make mistakes and we should learned from them.

My Sincere Apology goes to does who's feelings i might have hurt and i'm very sorry but i think i think i need to move on maybe find another game where i might start fresh some people just don't accepted apologies so my last words are

Have a Nice day till we meet again.....
SUPA-LOGGING OUT
иэV€R 2 яетцяи

Weak_Sauce
11-14-2011, 02:28 AM
Let me preface this by saying I am not an English major and that this is about more than just correcting grammar on the forums.

In the world I see around me today I find that many people (mainly younger generations) have no grasp of the English language. I've seen more and more posts that are written either completely in abbreviations, without the use of periods and/or is some foreign combination of the two with some slang added in for good measure.

What worries me is that it seems we are currently producing generations that do not know how to write or, even worse, this is what our language is turning into.

Now I don't believe I have ever corrected someone within this forum, but I completely understand why some people feel the need to do so. Everyone misspells words, uses the wrong punctuation, etc etc, I just think and hope that some of the people who are pointing out major errors are doing so for the right reasons.

Honestly, I'm not defending nor condemning these people. I guess that I just want my nerdy concerns to be taken into consideration when thinking about this subject.

After all, the pen is mightier than the sword.

Ps. Feel free to point out any errors in my grammar.

javier995
11-14-2011, 02:42 AM
Let me preface this by saying I am not an English major and that this is about more than just correcting grammar on the forums.

In the world I see around me today I find that many people (mainly younger generations) have no grasp of the English language. I've seen more and more posts that are written either completely in abbreviations, without the use of periods and/or is some foreign combination of the two with some slang added in for good measure.

What worries me is that it seems we are currently producing generations that do not know how to write or, even worse, this is what our language is turning into.

Now I don't believe I have ever corrected someone within this forum, but I completely understand why some people feel the need to do so. Everyone misspells words, uses the wrong punctuation, etc etc, I just think and hope that some of the people who are pointing out major errors are doing so for the right reasons.

Honestly, I'm not defending nor condemning these people. I guess that I just want my nerdy concerns to be taken into consideration when thinking about this subject.

Younger generations you say? I don't know if everyone knows this, but I'm only 16.
I use proper language to be, how would I say this, respectful? I guess that's it. If you check my posts, I use proper grammar and rarely use abbreviations. I type this way to show that I'm, how would you say, serious about showing my point?

It seems that the better way you type and format a post, the more it's taken seriously in my opinion.

Don't be so quick to judge us younger generations, some of us will do great things. ;)

- Javier M.

Uepauke
11-14-2011, 03:28 AM
Just a small point. In my line of work, I occasionally deal with people who have learning difficulties and this comes out in their written expression. I'm just like some of the people in this thread, that is, poor grammar and spelling bothers me, although, in the game, I don't mind as I have fat fingers like everyone else! Anyway, due to my work, I have learned to try to be more detached about this issue.

Last week, I witnessed an altercation between two people in town where one made fun of the other for their poor spelling and grammar. The latter was rude, used offensive language and took a very aggressive position. I pointed out to the first person via pm that, instead of belittling the other for their grammar, perhaps they should focus on their behavior, particularly as they may have a learning disability and so what they were doing could be seen as bullying. This person reacted okay and, guess what, later on pm'd me to say that they spoke to the other and found out they had Asperger's Syndrome and part of their behavior was due to frustration at not being able to express themselves properly. This person was really mortified that they had humiliated the other person in open chat in cs for this.

So, whether English is a second language, or a disability of some sort, there are people in the game that may have other reasons besides laziness or stupidity for their poor expression. I'm not saying to tolerate rudeness and poor behavior, but maybe take a step back and think about what is really important--some people are really nice, good folk despite their poor expression, and maybe that should be the focus?

kallima
11-14-2011, 04:40 AM

So you want some "action" from the devs? :p

Tamino
11-14-2011, 06:04 AM
See you Zheo! I know your kindness and tolerance in game, then I feel your disappointment about forum dramas. Please, don't go away! At least, venture around here sometimes!

Weak_Sauce
11-14-2011, 06:57 AM

Younger generations you say? I don't know if everyone knows this, but I'm only 16.
I use proper language to be, how would I say this, respectful? I guess that's it. If you check my posts, I use proper grammar and rarely use abbreviations. I type this way to show that I'm, how would you say, serious about showing my point?

It seems that the better way you type and format a post, the more it's taken seriously in my opinion.

Don't be so quick to judge us younger generations, some of us will do great things. ;)

- Javier M.

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that everyone is this way, nor would I say the majority. I would, however, say that the numbers are growing (I would cite a few studies and reports I've read but I can't be bothered to look for them) and they're growing at unprecedented rates. In the end, it is my opinion and the opinion of some percentage of people whose lives are devoted to this field.

I just wanted to get everyone to think about it. I'm dyslexic myself and I suppose that makes me think about it that much more.

Also,I forgot to say before that at my last job I was in charge of all of our interns. So many of the resumes I received over the 3 years were, well, a mess. No periods at the end of sentences or missing capital letters, abbreviations, shorthand, and slang. If some of them weren't so sad they would have been hilarious. :)

Uepauke, you hit the nail on the head. I would NEVER make fun of someone for an error of this nature. I've been the person who made an error and if someone points it out to me politely and in a helpful way I am appreciative, if someone makes fun of me for something that I can't help (I often read words and get the first few letters then change it in to another word when I speak) it's humiliating.

Aikiebo
11-14-2011, 11:28 AM

I'm sorry, but I do not know how to quote from two different posts while using this forum app. If I did know, I would have done that to make things easier..

Copy the first quote, then when you are going to quote the next paste it there. Paste it before the secant quote. I'm pretty sure you can figure out how to make it say you quoted them bout after copying and pasting. If not I'll gladly tell you. :)

Hi, javier995! Thank you for your response.

The problem is, I am on app not a pc. On this app, if I want to reply to someone, I hit "reply". Then, if I want to quote them, I hit "quote". That gives me a screen with their entire post and then lets me start typing. At this point, I only have 3 things I can do. I can turn off the device and lose what I typed. I can hit submit, if I am done and ready to submit. Or, I can hit the back button. But, if I do that, I will loose everything that I typed and will take me back to the original post that I was trying to reply to and quote from. But the only way to see other posts would be to hit the back button.

So, I don't know of a way to quote from two different posts while using this app. If you or anyone else does, I would love to learn how.

But, I really want to thank you for trying to help. Of all the people who have been reading this EXCELLENT thread, you took the time out to help someone. I think that is awesome, and I really appreciate it a lot.

Thanks.

Ellyidol
11-14-2011, 11:36 AM
Aik, same here. What I do is quote the first post I want to, copy the text (entire quote), then proceed to quote the next post.

I then paste the copied first quote on top of the second quote and just type in between the two quotes to respond. Tedious, I know. Sucks that the app doesn't have a multi-quote function.

Skeletonlord
11-14-2011, 01:04 PM
Aik, same here. What I do is quote the first post I want to, copy the text (entire quote), then proceed to quote the next post.

I then paste the copied first quote on top of the second quote and just type in between the two quotes to respond. Tedious, I know. Sucks that the app doesn't have a multi-quote function.

Good tip!

Rare
11-14-2011, 03:36 PM
The way I see it, if its not against the rules, its fine.

Like any forum though, you're going to have elitists or forum police that will poo-poo you. Its just the way it is.

To be honest, if someone does it to me, I honestly just ignore them. I've gotten comments multiple times about posting multiple responses in the same thread. "You should just copy multiple quotes into the same post" they say. To them I would say "You can do that. Its a free country." If you aren't breaking any rules, do what you want.

Rare
11-14-2011, 03:42 PM

That's what I'm talking about.

I prefer to keep my posts separate. And before anyone goes on about it, I could care less what my post count is.

StompArtist
11-14-2011, 03:49 PM
Can someone sum this thread up in 5 sentences? Way too long for my poor little brain.

Rare
11-14-2011, 03:53 PM
Can someone sum this thread up in 5 sentences? Way too long for my poor little brain.

He doesn't like forum nazi's that complain about his posts.

StompArtist
11-14-2011, 03:56 PM
He doesn't like forum nazi's that complain about his posts.

There is an ignore button. :D

Mikeylito
11-14-2011, 04:05 PM
What do green bars mean?

Never mind:)

Elementron
11-15-2011, 07:28 PM
Know what!! I totally agree with you. I was actually planning on making a post like this. But then I got lazy... :) I might quit too. LowlySpy actually started it for me n my first day!! I was gonna quit then, but I thought it was just him. Then I met tons.

Samhayne
11-15-2011, 09:09 PM
I think that those who are interested have had their say. Thread closed

A lot of what the moderators do on the forums is behind the scenes, privately. If you have issues, we are here to hear from you, or use the Report Post button.