PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone use a laptop + externals?

Ellyidol
11-13-2011, 03:45 AM
Been contemplating whether a good gaming laptop (eyeing Razer Blade, but meh on price) or a good gaming desktop is the right choice.

I'm leaning more towards the laptop since it gives me portability. I'm a student, currently living in a rented apartment, so a desktop seems a bit too constrained.

I was told to get a laptop but use an external monitor though. Anyone have experience on this? I could see it working, but wouldn't the laptop have to be in front of the monitor, therefore obstructing and distracting your view to the monitor? If you push the laptop to the side, there goes your keyboard with it. Or is it possible to use an external keyboard as well?

Ultimately, is it possible to use a laptop just as a processor while using an external monitor and keyboard? I'm thinking, games on the big screen while browser, chatting, etc on the laptop screen.

In need of tech-sperts ;) Thanks.

Gluttony
11-13-2011, 03:52 AM
Yes it is quite possible to use a laptop while using a peripheral mouse, keyboard and monitor, but that is basically like having a desktop since towers can be pretty small. If it is just for gaming then a laptop is a decent choice, but keep in mind that some games need to install massive files on the hard drive of whatever system you buy and if the laptop has a small stock hard drive it could limit your options; there are always ways around that since you can always removed any software before you move onto another game or just upgrade your hd. I have always preferred a desktop to a laptop when it came to gaming, but there are some pros and cons to the laptop option:

Pros:

Mobility
Easy setup

Cons:

Requires peripherals
Not easily upgraded
Overheating issues
Price

Ellyidol
11-13-2011, 03:56 AM
Yes it is quite possible to use a laptop while using peripheral mouse, keyboard and monitor, but that is basically like having a desktop since there are towers can be pretty small. If it is just for gaming then a laptop is a decent choice, but keep in mind that some games need to install massive files on the hd of whatever system you buy and if the laptop has a small stock hard drive it could limit your options (you can always removed any software before you move onto another game). I have always preferred a desktop to a laptop when it game to gaming, but if you're worried about mobility then that is understandable.

True. Yeah, I'm caught in between that now. I want a desktop (mainly for better gaming experience - larger screen, smoother gameplay), but I also need a laptop for mobility (travelling, going back home). I forgot to mention that I'm an international student, so my only permanent residence is the one I'm away from.

Will using an external keyboard and monitor on a laptop somehow strain and over-fatigue it? I've heard mixed comments. Some say that it lessens the work for the laptop since another monitor will be used, while others say that it increases the work since you're plugging in an extra monitor and keyboard.

I've had bad experiences in over-using laptops. My previous one literally burnt itself out due to overheating.

Thank you, btw :)

Gluttony
11-13-2011, 04:06 AM
Using peripheral devices won't strain them anymore than desktop use would imo, but it may strain the laptop based on battery consumption since you have to keep in mind the laptop is usually powered by less wattage than the average power supply a desktop would use.

Ellyidol
11-13-2011, 04:08 AM
Using peripheral devices won't strain them anymore than desktop use would imo, but it may strain the laptop based on battery consumption since you have to keep in mind the laptop is usually powered by less wattage than the average power supply a desktop would use.

I see, thanks.

Have you ever experienced using this setup? Laptop + monitor/keyboard?

Last thing I'd want is to invest in a good laptop only for it to be burned out by excessive use of external stuff.

Gluttony
11-13-2011, 04:12 AM
Yes, I have used the set up of an "external" monitor as well as a wireless keyboard/mouse but mostly for dual monitor support for things like watching a video while using the main laptop screen for other work. I have not actually tried the setup for gaming since I have a desktop.

Ellyidol
11-13-2011, 05:06 AM
Yes, I have used the set up of an "external" monitor as well as a wireless keyboard/mouse but mostly for dual monitor support for things like watching a video while using the main laptop screen for other work. I have not actually tried the setup for gaming since I have a desktop.

Thanks! I'll keep this in mind :)

Bakoffmycandy
11-13-2011, 05:12 AM
Very possible. Your best bet is a laptop with HDMI & Vga hook ups. Almost any laptop made in the past year or 2 should have both of these unless it is a low end model.

That way you have the portability & you could use a separate monitor or hdmi out to a flat screen.

roguedubb
11-13-2011, 05:15 AM
I had a Macbook + monitor + peripherals for similar reasons and never really liked it. The extra screen space was good, but instead of having a desktop (the actual physical desk) that I could put stuff on, there was a mess of cables and connecting everything was always a bore. I tried putting the laptop under the desktop in one of those slide-out keyboard thingies, but that just made for more problems with cables not being long enough or trying to connect them without being able to see them. For me the portability factor was trumped by the clutter and hassle of power packs and cables.

The laptop itself should be fine as long as it is plugged in to a power source so that the battery isn't being throttled all the time, though even then I would want to make sure the external power was being used before the battery so that the battery life isn't being shortened.

I haven't looked at the gaming laptop market recently, but if it's anything like it was then chances are you will be trading off a lot of the portability of a laptop to get something good for gaming. Anything around two kilograms or heavier I find to be a hassle to lug around (I get around on a bike and public transport mainly).

It's a tricky issue, because with a good laptop that has a ~17" monitor all you really need for gaming is a mouse. But then chances are you will be less likely to haul a 17" laptop around and even much less likely to pop it open for casual use (few people use a 15"+ laptop on the train, but every third person uses a phone/pad/ebook/netbook). And for the same cost you can get a good desktop with a great 20" to 24" monitor with a good response time.

For now I have settled on a 24" iMac + iPad which works well - iPad is easy to take everywhere and I can play a few games if I want to, type up notes at uni and do research, then do more in-depth work with images on the iMac, watch movies or play games. And only ever have to take one cable anywhere.

Ellyidol
11-13-2011, 05:59 AM
Very possible. Your best bet is a laptop with HDMI & Vga hook ups. Almost any laptop made in the past year or 2 should have both of these unless it is a low end model.

That way you have the portability & you could use a separate monitor or hdmi out to a flat screen.

Thanks! I'll remember this in choosing a potential laptop.

I had a Macbook + monitor + peripherals for similar reasons and never really liked it. The extra screen space was good, but instead of having a desktop (the actual physical desk) that I could put stuff on, there was a mess of cables and connecting everything was always a bore. I tried putting the laptop under the desktop in one of those slide-out keyboard thingies, but that just made for more problems with cables not being long enough or trying to connect them without being able to see them. For me the portability factor was trumped by the clutter and hassle of power packs and cables.

The laptop itself should be fine as long as it is plugged in to a power source so that the battery isn't being throttled all the time, though even then I would want to make sure the external power was being used before the battery so that the battery life isn't being shortened.

I haven't looked at the gaming laptop market recently, but if it's anything like it was then chances are you will be trading off a lot of the portability of a laptop to get something good for gaming. Anything around two kilograms or heavier I find to be a hassle to lug around (I get around on a bike and public transport mainly).

It's a tricky issue, because with a good laptop that has a ~17" monitor all you really need for gaming is a mouse. But then chances are you will be less likely to haul a 17" laptop around and even much less likely to pop it open for casual use (few people use a 15"+ laptop on the train, but every third person uses a phone/pad/ebook/netbook). And for the same cost you can get a good desktop with a great 20" to 24" monitor with a good response time.

For now I have settled on a 24" iMac + iPad which works well - iPad is easy to take everywhere and I can play a few games if I want to, type up notes at uni and do research, then do more in-depth work with images on the iMac, watch movies or play games. And only ever have to take one cable anywhere.

Big thanks! I didn't think about the mess of the wiring needed. Will it help if my desktop is relatively large/long?

The laptop I was aiming for, the Razer Blade, is apparently really good for a laptop - not taking price and comparison to desktops. It's a 17" and is pretty thin/light for its size and performance, apparently.

Gaming on the move isn't really in my mind anyway, I just need the portability for school. I may need it to write notes, do projects on, etc. Ah an iPad. I was actually about to let mine go, if I decide to invest into a laptop.

So it'd be wiring for the external monitor, external keyboard, and mouse connected to the laptop right? Oh, and the DSL cable, if ever. Would you happen to have this setup still? I'd love to see a photo, if possible.

Thanks very much for the input, btw :)

Gluttony
11-13-2011, 06:04 AM
I didn't think about the wiring either since when I was doing this I had a wireless keyboard and mouse so the only wires are the VGA to monitor and the power cable, but if you're gaming you want faster response time so the wired keyboard/mouse would be preferred. A longer desktop might make things harder unless you take that into consideration and purchase longer cables. I may be able to take a pic sometime in the future, but I don't have a wired keyboard/mouse currently since I've pretty much made the switch to platform gaming in PS3/Wii/360 (yes in that order).

Redbridge
11-13-2011, 06:07 AM
I've used laptops and extras over desktops for years now.

Admittedly work pays for the work ones but cost is the main CON for me. You get more bang for your buck with desktops, especially for gaming machines.

The cable issue can be a pain but I have a powered USB hub tucked away nicely so only one USB, power and display lead to plug in.

Everything (apart from the monitor) is portable and easily fits into a rucksack or laptop bag.

So I have a laptop but also have a gaming/video editing/coding machine when I'm at home with 24" screen.

My 2 x 24" work screens and my home one...
http://i1208.photobucket.com/albums/cc365/clarkedigital/6dd07c95.jpg

Ellyidol
11-13-2011, 06:08 AM
I didn't think about the wiring either since when I was doing this I had a wireless keyboard and mouse so the only wires are the VGA to monitor and the power cable, but if you're gaming you want faster response time so the wired keyboard/mouse would be preferred. A longer desktop might make things harder unless you take that into consideration when purchasing cables. I may be able to take a pic sometime in the future, but I don't have a wired keyboard/mouse currently since I've pretty much made the switch to platform gaming in PS3/Wii/360 (yes in that order).

Yeah, gaming mouse is wired too. I've had my fair share of complicated wiring before, so I think I may be able to handle organising these if ever, hopefully.

Assuming I just use an external monitor and keep my laptop right in front of me, but have the external monitor on an elevated platform behind the laptop, you think that could work?

I've used laptops and extras over desktops for years now.

Admittedly work pays for the work ones but cost is the main CON for me. You get more bang for your buck with desktops, especially for gaming machines.

The cable issue can be a pain but I have a powered USB hub tucked away nicely so only one USB, power and display lead to plug in.

Everything (apart from the monitor) is portable and easily fits into a rucksack or laptop bag.

So I have a laptop but also have a gaming/video editing/coding machine when I'm at home with 24" screen.

My 2 x 24" work screens and my home one...

Cheers Red!

Where is your laptop in this? Judging from your setup, one external monitor/keyboard shouldn't seem that messy.

Redbridge
11-13-2011, 06:17 AM
Cheers Red!

Where is your laptop in this? Judging from your setup, one external monitor/keyboard shouldn't seem that messy.

Its a bit cluttered cause i'm working right now at home... but it works real good for me.

So, the left 2 monitors, the left keyboard and the black laptop above the left keyboard are all work ones.

The right monitor, the keyboard under the middle monitor and the MacBook under that are my home stuff. Even got the iPad set up in front of the right one too for the odd swift peek in-game.

The main reason this works for me is the shelf to put the monitors on. Knocked it up in 10mins with a saw and a few screws. Hope that helps buddy.

God help me when PL comes to Chrome, I'm gonna get sacked...

EDIT: forgot to say, above you mentioned about the laptop being in the way but laptops (normally provided you have a power lead in them) can be set up to have the lid closed and out of the way. My work laptop doesn't even need opening, as i've set the bios to boot up when the power lead is plugged it. so in fact you could have it tucked away and just flick a power switch to boot up. Work laptop has 5 leads (2 display, network, USB, power) home one has 3 leads as only one monitor and on wifi.

Ellyidol
11-13-2011, 06:21 AM
Its a bit cluttered cause i'm working right now at home... but it works real good for me.

So, the left 2 monitors, the left keyboard and the black laptop above the left keyboard are all work ones.

The right monitor, the keyboard under the middle monitor and the MacBook under that are my home stuff. Even got the iPad set up in front of the right one too for the odd swift peek in-game.

The main reason this works for me is the shelf to put the monitors on. Knocked it up in 10mins with a saw and a few screws. Hope that helps buddy.

God help me when PL comes to Chrome, I'm gonna get sacked...

Helps big time! Thanks :)

I'll definitely be doing something like this, provided that I finalize what I'm getting and where I'll be living.

krazii
11-13-2011, 11:12 AM
Not much more to be said here. I've played both ways and the laptop/external screen and wireless mouse/keyboard (you can buy a wireless hub if you need) is the way to go for your situation. Plus, if you get really wild, you can hook your lapper up to yout big screen TV and home theater system for the ultimate gaming experience.

Edit: This also depends on how much cash you have. Laptop will cost easily twice or three times the equivalent desktop, maybe even 4 times for the uber gamer setup, but oh so worth it.

roguedubb
11-13-2011, 04:18 PM
I don't have any photos of my old setup sorry. I have been using my iPad at uni for a year now, taking notes, looking up things in my art history lectures that I want to know more about, keeping all my documentation/readings/handouts on it - which has worked really well. Back when I had the laptop I was doing a different course and was always frustrated with having to look out for seats close to a power socket, or spend a break tethered to the wall to make sure it had enough power for the rest of the day.

The cable clutter issue probably can be solved or lessened, but if you don't plan for it it can be a big pain.

Register
11-13-2011, 08:22 PM
Baha my laptop is a terrible gaming laptop. It was originally my dads and is meant as a high functioning WORK laptop. Great for homework! Terrible for games XD.

Zeus
11-13-2011, 08:27 PM
Hmm, perhaps stick with a gaming desktop and a small portable laptop such as the 8'' Macbook Air?

If not, whatever you do, do NOT go with an AlienWare, you pay more for the brand and less for the quality.

Ellyidol
11-13-2011, 09:16 PM
Not much more to be said here. I've played both ways and the laptop/external screen and wireless mouse/keyboard (you can buy a wireless hub if you need) is the way to go for your situation. Plus, if you get really wild, you can hook your lapper up to yout big screen TV and home theater system for the ultimate gaming experience.

Edit: This also depends on how much cash you have. Laptop will cost easily twice or three times the equivalent desktop, maybe even 4 times for the uber gamer setup, but oh so worth it.

It will definitely cost more :(

In the end, I try to justify the cost through the portability. I think I'd be crushed if I have to leave my gaming desktop for a month or more due to travels.

I don't have any photos of my old setup sorry. I have been using my iPad at uni for a year now, taking notes, looking up things in my art history lectures that I want to know more about, keeping all my documentation/readings/handouts on it - which has worked really well. Back when I had the laptop I was doing a different course and was always frustrated with having to look out for seats close to a power socket, or spend a break tethered to the wall to make sure it had enough power for the rest of the day.

The cable clutter issue probably can be solved or lessened, but if you don't plan for it it can be a big pain.

I actually do the same, I use an iPad for uni. In an ideal situation, I'd love to keep my iPad too, but given the cost of what a new laptop/externals might cost, I think the iPad would be the first to go :(

Surprisingly, I found that writing notes manually and actually looking at the lecture projectors made me concentrate more :p

Baha my laptop is a terrible gaming laptop. It was originally my dads and is meant as a high functioning WORK laptop. Great for homework! Terrible for games XD.

Hmm, perhaps stick with a gaming desktop and a small portable laptop such as the 8'' Macbook Air?

If not, whatever you do, do NOT go with an AlienWare, you pay more for the brand and less for the quality.

I thought about that too. Does anyone remember that Sony laptop that was advertise to fit your pocket? (Back pocket). Not exactly that, but same concept. Small one for school/travel/etc, but good one for gaming. I don't know though, seems redundant if I have two laptops.

And yeah, I agree on Alienware. People think the same towards the Razer Blade D:

Nourish
11-13-2011, 09:31 PM
Alienware ftw

roguedubb
11-14-2011, 02:13 AM
Never heard anything good about those sony vaio/laptops from anyone who has used one for more than a review.