PDA

View Full Version : Some Thoughts on FMJ Updates

DanielRH
06-18-2018, 07:51 PM
Hi All,

First, huge shout out to the team working on FMJ ó the game is an absolute blast to play, and as Iíve stated previously, I believe it will have a bright future.

Now for a few thoughts on the FMJ update progress over the past two weeks.

1. Bots
Tldr; Bots behaving like humans is rather uninteresting.

One of the most refreshing aspects of this game, is that low tier players can and do fight against the highest of tiers, and cause noticeable damage. This lends to a fantastic, frenetic game, where you must constantly be on the lookout for threats (which, as you tier up and gain more gold, grow).

Now a real human playerís goal (other than when on suicide runs), is to stay alive long enough to tier up to the point where they can compete with the other high tiers for dominance. Thus human players try to collect as much $$ with as little confrontation as possible, until theyíve decided theyíre ready for a fight.

The most recent bot AI update has made bots act far more like human players. In other words, they also run around collecting $$, tier up, and occasionally take pot shots.

With only human players around (or bots acting like humans), there are very few lower tiers attempting to overthrow those at the top. Instead of confrontation across the tier spectrum, little confrontation occurs before the top tiers are reached. This reduces the complexity of the game for the higher tiers, and makes it far less likely for players to be caught in the confusion of a battle.

Though I personally found the previous bot difficulty and indiscriminate targeting enjoyable, I can understand why players found their inhuman targeting abilities frustrating. What I would suggest, is that bots of all tiers should become more interested in targeting players as they tier up. Just as a human would be more likely to go barrel after a tier 16 with 150 gold as a tier 1, so too should the bots.

I wonder if a certain number of bots should exist within the game to spice it up, even after the game is full of real players...

To be honest, I think this movement to not target ďrealĒ players has perhaps made the game less brutal, but has also reduced competitiveness, excitement and adrenaline. To the few people who have noted that I'm a tad aggressive in-game: Apologies, I don't mean it personally. But darned if I'm going to let you tier up and take MY precious gold!

One final note on bots is that they probably shouldnít try for every jackpot ever. Itís really not ever worth escaping with 3 coins.

2. Additional Uses For $$$: Reconfiguring Builds
Once youíve reached tier 16, $$ you collect is fairly useless, other than making you the targeted top-player (which is not a good thing). In order to introduce competition for the top-player slot, it seems to me that more uses for $$ need to be implemented beyond the initial leveling.

One such avenue could be spending a certain amount of $$ in order to replace a specific skill with a new one. This would allow people to refine their builds in response to new players and play styles, and I think could be a lot of fun.

3. Plat
Certainly there are players who will be playing without plat. And Iíve tried it for a while, itís a perfectly enjoyable experience ó not too much to report here, other than that itís a slower, and sometimes more frustrating than playing with plat, but certainly far from impossible. It feels about right.

With plat, the prices again feel about right. I like to jump on, enjoy 5-30 minutes of competition, and get back to work, and the plat usage allows me to do just that.

As for acquiring plat, I like the daily achievements, but having done all the achievements, I can definitely say that some of those were worth a lot more than 10 plat. Specifically the hardest achievements should absolutely have higher rewards to encourage more gameplay.

I would like a method of either purchasing, or acquiring plat going forward (I assume this will be added when the game launches, but I find myself playing less often now that Iím out of plat).

4. Lag
Iíve had a fairly bad connection at times, and I must say, the game is nearly unplayable. This game requires fast reactions, which requires quick updating of player locations and aiming. With more players on, this seems to be becoming more of an issue. Game optimization and smooth-functioning servers are something this game requires far more of to succeed than any other STS title.

5. Map Preference
As the game grows, there will be enough players to sustain multiple maps. Given that each player prefers certain maps, and the infinite length of a game (until all real players leave), there should be some way to fight in the map of your choice rather than the current auto-selection.

6. Guild/team battles
Basically all the feedback I had in my previous thread (https://www.spacetimestudios.com/showthread.php?423552-Initial-Thoughts) about different game modes and guild/team battles is still very relevant.

Also, is chat in-game going to be a thing? Iím divided over whether it would add to the excitement as an additional source of lost concentration, and potential collaboration, or be simply irritating.

And thatís all for todayÖ More to come in the near future.

Basauli
06-19-2018, 08:58 AM
I agree, after gaining more experience I'm starting to want them to be more aggressive too. It makes the game more fast paced and fun, but with the less aggressive bots your only enemies are mainly the players which isn't a bad thing but it does make the game play less fast paced. It's still fun the upsides are that you stay alive longer and you can more easily move around and eliminate upcoming threats.

As for a chat feature, if a team death match mode were to be added it would fit in more there then in free for all. If a chat feature were added in free for all people can better strategize on taking out the current top player, but an auto chat bubble like the ones in the other legends titles would add to the fun in free for all

Java
06-19-2018, 11:38 AM
Who can type while in a match?...I can barely look away to take a sip of coffee without someone taking potshots at me. But I might have a chance to kill a few ppl who want to chat away during a match. hahaha

Iotus
06-19-2018, 11:58 AM
Who can type while in a match?...I can barely look away to take a sip of coffee without someone taking potshots at me. But I might have a chance to kill a few ppl who want to chat away during a match. hahaha

Speech bubbles with different phrases would be nice though.

DanielRH
06-19-2018, 12:03 PM
How about only speech bubbles (I.e., no method of seeing past messages like the other legends games), and an option to hide all bubbles?

Warriorknown
06-19-2018, 12:22 PM
Is it just me or are bots more OP now?

Nofox
06-19-2018, 12:24 PM

It's like the update buffed them by like 40%

Java
06-19-2018, 12:26 PM
I thought so too after this morning's maintenance bounce. Early this morning they seemed too meek, now they are uber aggressive..saw one at max level for short while.

Warriorknown
06-19-2018, 12:27 PM
JustG what did you guys do to the bots? I believe they were perfect before the most recent update.

Iotus
06-19-2018, 12:29 PM

Yeah, they are more aggressive than the actual players

Legendsmaug12
06-19-2018, 12:30 PM
The bots are destroying now

Cinco
06-19-2018, 02:12 PM

They are more aggressive now.

Warriorknown
06-19-2018, 02:52 PM
They are more aggressive now.

Okay thanks for confirming,will it stay this way?

Carapace
06-19-2018, 05:36 PM
Okay thanks for confirming,will it stay this way?

It's still in Alpha/Beta, I'm sure there will be additional iterations before launch. Keep in mind that bots are there to pick up the slack when there aren't a large number of active players and after launch you may never see them that often.