PDA

View Full Version : Reputation Rating Needs Removed

Battlelock
11-14-2011, 08:04 PM
The whole reputation meter has gotten way out of control. It's become a status symbol amongst the forum people like a high school prom. Just cause someone posts a different opinion they get a negative rep. It's become ridiculous. I could give a rats butt what my rep is.
STS is catering to the ongoing flame wars by having these immature rating systems.
A simple thumbs up or down in a post would suffice but NO, let's make this a popularity contest.
There might be immature people on the forums but the devs are worse for feeding the fact.
Get rid of the popularity contest and the forums will return to a helpful place.

Ayc2000
11-14-2011, 08:06 PM
I like the ideas the devs had in mind initially, but I think it should be private, or not count at all. I like having the option of thanking the truly helpful posts, but I hate seeing others who make fake accounts for rep "farming"

RedRyder
11-14-2011, 08:16 PM
Just an FYI, the rep system is a part of many many forums and come standard. The neg. rep Bussiness should be looked into more though. Such as receiving neg rep points on a post that was months old

Battlelock
11-14-2011, 08:25 PM
I agree the +/- for helpful or unhelpful or thumbs up or down but the whole reputation thing has become a sore on the STS forums. It's ridiculous.
The forums have become a serious joke. Way inferior to any forums I've been on.
But STS is targeting the cash minded people.

Zeus
11-14-2011, 08:33 PM
I agree the +/- for helpful or unhelpful or thumbs up or down but the whole reputation thing has become a sore on the STS forums. It's ridiculous.
The forums have become a serious joke. Way inferior to any forums I've been on.
But STS is targeting the cash minded people.

I was never one for the reputation feature, as people already have a mental reputation feature. I don't think it's needed and the statuses such as the GoA and SG don't help much either.

In short, I whole-heartedly agree with your post. I'd thank you, but I'm out of thanks. :(

Hankomachos
11-14-2011, 11:19 PM
I think, -if the rep. system is going to stay- that a dev would have to overview the given rep before it's put into your overall reputation. But IMO, it's very flawed. Not just giving negative reputation either, no, even spamming positive reputation isn't appropriate IMO, giving good rep should be for helpful posts; not just a random joke or a one worded answer that has no relevance to the topic. I'm not biasing people with a high rep, even though I don't have one, but i really don't approve of it. It gives people an ego, either good or bad, IMO. If anything, I'd say either do away with it or have a dev look it over first (which is never going to happen, they're busy enough as it is). :)

Ellyidol
11-14-2011, 11:23 PM
Please do remove it. Keep the anonymous feedback and thank button, but the reputation bar only creates elitist and condescending attitudes.

Someone's mentioned it before, it doesn't take a full rep bar to make a good post.

Tvis
11-14-2011, 11:25 PM
I agree with this. Seems to become a popularity contest, with many people going in the wrong direction.

KingFu
11-14-2011, 11:28 PM
I must say, I find it ironic Battle was asking for the reputation system to be removed, and in the process got reputation points:p

I agree though, it should either be personal, or not counted (like, have the ability to thank others but it doesn't say "Thanked X amount of times".

I find it kinda unnecessary personally. I see lots of posts that don't get thanked, yet deserve it twice as much as the post that got thanked above it (IMO at least). Besides, we've already had one user use multiple accounts to up his rep, so it shows some people really cars about ir.

NECROREAPER
11-14-2011, 11:31 PM
I dislike it as well.

I've had a number of people come up to me in game asking how to "get more green bars under your name like how Samhayne is" in game.

WhoIsThis
11-14-2011, 11:38 PM
Agreed.

It's a very flawed way to measure how "helpful" a person is, which is hard to quantify.

Samhayne
11-14-2011, 11:39 PM
It is no longer possible to leave negative reputation.

NECROREAPER
11-14-2011, 11:41 PM
Really? hmmm that kinda sucks cause if someone is being a troll then sometimes they deserve a down rep, lol.

I completely understand where you guys are coming from though.

WoundedEagle
11-14-2011, 11:41 PM
I believe thanking and the adding/deducting of points in the point system for reputation was originally made so that the devs could add new forum titles. Since now it is post-count, reputation really isn't needed. Reputation is cool, but I wouldn't mind seeing it removed.

Oh, and though I always get hate for it, this post would best be fitted in Spacetime studios/forums discussion, if you don't mind me asking a dev to move it.

Thanks,

-we

Pharcyde
11-14-2011, 11:56 PM
Really? hmmm that kinda sucks cause if someone is being a troll then sometimes they deserve a down rep, lol.

Negative Rep = Report button. A big fat strike with the devs is worse then any bad rep can do.

Battlelock
11-15-2011, 12:57 AM
I must say, I find it ironic Battle was asking for the reputation system to be removed, and in the process got reputation points:p

I agree though, it should either be personal, or not counted (like, have the ability to thank others but it doesn't say "Thanked X amount of times".

I find it kinda unnecessary personally. I see lots of posts that don't get thanked, yet deserve it twice as much as the post that got thanked above it (IMO at least). Besides, we've already had one user use multiple accounts to up his rep, so it shows some people really cars about ir.

Good point. You pointed out my opinion exactly. If I had the choice, I'd turn off all rep COMPLETELY.

Battlelock
11-15-2011, 01:24 AM
Just for ALL KNOWLEDGE, I've never once repped or d-repped any body. Opinions are everyones and I, personally, have never d-repped any body.
Devs can confirm.

Anyways. To each his own opinion!

Skeletonlord
11-15-2011, 02:09 AM
I like this system. I know a few people may disagree, but it Is I great idea

Kakatoa91
11-15-2011, 02:33 AM
Reading sts forum on my phone, I cant see reputation bar lol and cant vote.
I dont know mine or others...
:D

Bah dun care much I guess :p

StompArtist
11-15-2011, 09:40 AM

That is a good choice! neg rep hurts the feelings of the insecure and angers the passionate. Now we can all feel the love! :D

JaytB
11-15-2011, 09:50 AM
I would like they removed the post-count titles too. That could also be a reason for people to post so much nonsense imo

BodMaster
11-15-2011, 10:51 AM
That is a good choice! neg rep hurts the feelings of the insecure and angers the passionate. Now we can all feel the love! :D

Lol! Poor razerfingers no more bad Rep :p

Im on the fence.. I hate being on the fence..

In one way im in agreement of what was said in OP, dislike Spam posters. If they have no opinion regarding the subject why.. just not post at all!

The Rep bar is flawed, we all know that, though you do find the truly helpful people shine with this in place, no matter how flawed it is. You never see someone with 3-5 Rep bars that aren't helpful and just spam thanks and Rep/Neg Rep for the fun of it along with more posts. That would also mean the ones that 'Rep Farm's (lol) must be helpful anyway but just like to add more to it? Lol confused much :S Put it this way when do you see everyone in a thread with more than 4-6 bars that you have never heard of? (Re: Your preferred forum)

Without them would just kind of take the fun out of it all. I've thanked people for funny posts because they made my day... mentioning no names *cough* The Thanks Fairy*cough* but they are generally real helpful too. Would you count this as 'Rep boosting'?

This shouldn't really bother you much if you don't care about the current thanks/rep system in general, if you're helpful then you will be noticed its just one of those things. Shouldn't need recognition for being helpful but it is nice to have that thanks now and then, to know that someone found it helpful :)

Yvonnel
11-15-2011, 11:19 AM
Maybe I'm just different, but does everyone really pay attention to this that much? I mean, I give out a "Thanks" every once in awhile when someone's post helps me out, but for this to be......

I'm just confused, there are a whole lot more important things to me than the rep system on a forum.

Tapatalk'd from my PowerWashed Fascinate

Gluttony
11-15-2011, 12:40 PM

Remove the whole system if that is the case no? I mean what's the point of a system if you can only give positive feedback? That's a bit like handing out ribbons to everyone even if they finished in last place.

I see you ragin' over getting a neg rep; there were a few who were constantly guilty of that. I welcomed it but the sea of red didn't flow as I expected and now never will. Just keep on trollin without fear of repercussion since the public at large cannot disapprove my replies! Soon my rep bar will be as large and green as the devs themselves and no one can stop me muwahahaha!

The new forum titles also add a bit of competition into the mix, we should really just get rid of anything that allows one to feel "holier than thou" since that seems to be the general direction this is going.

Edit: See, don't you wish you had a disapproval button right about now?!

Ellyidol
11-15-2011, 12:50 PM

This reminds me of how I wish there was a Dislike button on Facebook :p

Samhayne
11-15-2011, 12:54 PM

If someone is posting trolling posts, flames or other things that are in violation of the Forum Rules: http://www.spacetimestudios.com/misc.php?do=vsarules then don't bother with reputation - instead turn to the Report Post button and report it to us so the moderation team can take care of the issue.

Thanks!

Gluttony
11-15-2011, 12:58 PM
On a separate but related thought, what happens now that neg rep isn't there as a deterrent. Some users are posting just to boost their post count, I'm fairly certain that some of those same users thought twice about replying if it meant a possible bright red bar displayed just below their shiny new title!

WhoIsThis
11-15-2011, 07:06 PM

I'm not sure that this is a good thing. People who have repeatedly said negative things that are not so bad that they deserve reporting, but that they do deserve some sort of well, flagging don't have a way to be identified.

I think that it should be that the good and bad reputation (along with the thanks) are removed or that they are all kept.