PDA

View Full Version : What is the Point of OP's

Chabone
11-15-2011, 03:17 PM
I have been playing this game for a while now and i still don't see the point of Op.
Eng and Com are the perfect match for a team but a Op and Com does not work at all.
Can someone help me understand there purpose.
Also Eng are almost the perfect class:

Lowlyspy
11-15-2011, 03:23 PM
You would be surprised how big a difference a good Op can make. Yes a com and engi team is decent but the time it takes to get through a dungeon (or spaceship as the case may be) is much slower than it is compared to a team with an Op. Though u are correct, a com/op team is prone to being wiped out if both players are lacking stims.

EDIT: also im certain this was a mistake but a subject like this belongs in the classes section under Operatives or in General Discussion :)

Vladrac
11-15-2011, 03:57 PM
Personally, I don't like playing my OP much at all. I also think the Engineer and Commando classes are much better to use and much more fun (for me). But, as the above poster mentioned, OPs can simply obliterate targets one by one, particularly when used right.

With the current Shipyard campaign, and good OP must target and quickly assassinate key enemies in a group. The healers are the obvious choice in this instance. With this in mind, good OPs do make a run much faster which benefits everyone in the party greatly.

I believe you will see players honing their OPs to perfection once PvP is eventually released.

javier995
11-15-2011, 04:11 PM
When I run with an op (on my com) it seems to go quicker. Although when one of each is running with me, that is a sight to see. If you have a quick op, an engi with max dmg skills, and a com that is purely AoE; everything goes so fast! Its awesome:)

Slant
11-15-2011, 04:41 PM
in reactor, its important to take out the healers, the OP is best suited for this, to target the healers, separate them from the rest of the mob, and take them out, also, the single target damage is very helpful at clearing mobs quicker, 3 ops one good tank and an engie is a fast team, faster than say 2 mandos 2 engies and an op, also, OP mob control is very precise and surgical compared to the sometimes chaotic mob control of the mando.

In all the lower maps, bosses get that much faster, guardian run for example even one op makes a huge difference in map clearing speed. If anything, its the engies that are there only for rev plz.

Moogerfooger
11-15-2011, 04:52 PM
Actually, I have done many a run running next to a Comm, and we seem to do pretty well. It is all in player skill.

Also like Slant said, very easy to control certain/specific mobs.

Bakoffmycandy
11-15-2011, 05:01 PM
My favorite class in Sl. Could almost be compared to a full Dex Bird in Pl. Very different classes but they are pure Dps depending how u decide to play them. With the ability to use Dual Pistols u can push your base Dps much higher than any other class. Mostly single Target damage but you can kill that single Target Very Fast.

Having a good Op or 2 in your group makes the runs much faster, hence more loot/xp per hour

SpaceCowGirl
11-15-2011, 05:46 PM
WHAT?!!! I LOVE MY OP(s) ^_^

But, each to their own. That is why there's 3 classes. Depending on how you like to play.. you can choose which class is suited for you.

I have atleast 1 of each, but I must say Ops are my fav <3

Comm so boring, I only have one and I honestly can NOT see how you can have more than 50 death on a comm @ lvl 36 unless you truly just did not try.. Or just chat.. or lag a lot (main reasons why I die lol) I've abandoned her @ lvl 30 with less that 7 deaths.

and Engi has to much responsibility of mothering the group! But, its rare to find one that heals well, so i usually switch to her if the group is sans a Healer.

Hurm...But as an Op, I seem to play fine when I'm playing in duet with just a Comm, or just an Engi. imho..or am I wrong guys? lol
For me, depending on the player behind the toon, I just gotta make sure my stims are full and gear my toon prerun to suit the occasion :) Wakakaka. Cowgirls gotta dress the part u know!

I like being squishy, makes game fun.. i hate just breezing thru... death is a temptress and im up for a challage!! xD

So I say, Op is best suited for SpaceCowGirl! CHARGE!!!! YeEeHaw!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-See ya around! <3 SpaceCG

Killerade
11-15-2011, 07:57 PM
You'd be surprise what 3 good ops can do (our engineer and com got d/ced) we brought down mysterious figure faster than a party with 2 engineers 2 com and 1 op.

CanonicalKoi
11-15-2011, 08:11 PM
Really? Op and Comm aren't a good team? Huh. Moog (Op) and I (Comm) just did a bunch of runs in Biosphere, just he and I and things seemed to die pretty quickly, although neither he nor I did. As far as what good an Op is, they do a lot of damage very, very quickly. At 36 with dual-pistols, I'm doing 55-86 damage and 141 DPS. Hit Precision and my Critical hit goes up to 75 and my chance to hit is 125%.

As Slant said, when I'm on Rauen, my primary duty is to take out the healers as fast as possible and then I move onto the women with the wand thingies. When we're at the boss in Core, it's to take out mobs as quickly as possible--less chance of one of them making it to the terminal. For a quick kill when you need one, really it's hard to beat an Op.

I love Engies, I truly do--one of my 3 mains is an Engie, but Engie's ain't perfect. No class is (as much as I like to think my Op is close. ;) ). That's why this game requires teamwork. :)

Silentarrow
11-15-2011, 08:15 PM
I take pride in being an operative, we have the fastest weapons the highest crit and the highest damage output. Now Operatives may not be neccesary for survival purposes, if you're looking for a team that can survive you're best off having 4 mandos and one engineer. But, we make runs go faster which can lead to less deaths. A good operative can also take the aggro off of a teamate very quickly by using a combo of mind wreck and neural shock, saving that teamates life.

Also, what other class can one shot kill? ;)

Kakatoa91
11-15-2011, 08:38 PM
All classes have their points of being in SL.
If you fail to see this, it means you need to understand better each ones with their roles/skills/possibilities and their interactions.:p

I wont say Op are perfect but just my favourite to play in SL.:)
I just like to rapidly constantly destroy any target. Thing you cant do with the other classes.
Com are the mob crowd controller and Engi the support all round of the team.

Any hard map can be play with just a team of 3. Now if 1 class is missing, you can feel directly the difference, even if all players experienced. One of each is enough to make a smooth enjoyable fast pace game without wasting much stims or powers.

SY5 is really fun now testing my main op, experimeting different types of team with other pro players for hunting purps and pinks.:cool:
Fastest possible 4 ops/engi, after its 3 ops/engi/com.
Challenging, you go 3 ops/2 coms or 4 ops/1 com or 5 ops even. We all only use few stims.
Satisfying and really fun, just a team of 3 with one of each class. :o

Hullukko
11-16-2011, 04:25 AM
Ops are just about as useful now in sy5 as birds were against OL.

I agree with the lot of you, especially what Kakatoa there said about the sy5 team setups. I've really had fun my op during the past few weeks and most certainly haven't found her to be useles. Au contraire.

Arguably for the first time in SL the engineer in actually the least necessary in making sy5 runs slick, meaning that I'd rather have two of either ops or coms rather than engineers in a run.

(a lot of that of course applies mostly to a bunch of 36s running sy5, less experienced players may find it easier with two engineers, and horribly played ops can be painful just like horribly played engies and comms can)

Ellyidol
11-16-2011, 05:22 AM
Don't Ops have the highest armor debuff? Therefore increasing the overall damage dealt by everyone in the group? Not to mention their wicked DPS.

MightyMicah
11-16-2011, 05:42 AM
Op is boss. That is all. ^^ lol

Prestige
11-16-2011, 10:06 PM
141 DPS is with non custom epic lvl36 gear. I believe an OP can have around 170 dps with full custom gear. The dps of an op is way higher than any other class.

Kakatoa91
11-17-2011, 02:44 AM
To add some numbers.
Also dont forget Op rarely miss since atm they are the only one with high hit% thx to high dex.
The crit, dmg, dps, hit are things other class dont have.

At 36,
Depending on gear setup:

+Dps on custom with purp dmg implant and dual go 198 and with engi boost it goes 202 dps if im not wrong.

+Crit can go at around 95 with pistol/shield/crit purp implant.

+Dodge can go at 75 with full plat dodge gear and max dodge skill.

These are just 3 setups I use mainly dependin on situation.

Reggin
11-17-2011, 03:35 PM
Ops are amazing, and my main is a com. Granted I have a 35 of each class, but I'm only going for hardcore levels with my com since a truly skilled tank is still quite rare.

In my opinion, ops are a must have in any group. In fact, I personally believe that for SY5 the perfect group is one com, one eng, and three ops.

I've done plenty of guild speed runs on MF and with three custom ops, me doing entire room pulls into corners, and a solid eng healer who knows how to debuff and time their heals, we've made some pretty impressive non enhancered speed runs.

Current top time is 8 minutes and 43 seconds, killing all 99 mobs including MF. We skipped class door rooms and hostages by the way.

I'm sure elixired runs could shatter that time though. My entire com philosophy of not worrying about my own dps and fully devoting my build to maximum aggro building, survival, and most importantly crowd control is based on having pure dps ops in the group to clear stuff while I pack them in tight and keep them off the rest of the group.

Hiei
11-17-2011, 04:56 PM
Playing my Op is fun and the dps is quite nice. Don't understand why so many Op's use shield though. Makes me feel somewhat like a rogue dual wielding.

Killerade
11-17-2011, 11:27 PM
OPs(lvl36) regular dps with duals and bladefin+custom=170
with full buffs=200 that was enough for me to make it my favorite char

ezarf
11-18-2011, 12:38 AM
Pretty sure this guy is a troll check his other post /ignore move on

Xscoopx
11-18-2011, 01:04 AM
Each class plays a specific role
Commando: Tank, deals damage to everyone
Engineer: Team support, healer