PDA

View Full Version : What do you look for in your weapon: DPS or Damage?

v5point0
07-10-2010, 11:35 AM
D'Jinn Spear
79-105 @ 1.4 sec
Damage in 5 secs: 5/1.4 = 3.57*62 = 221.34
DPS: 82
3 Attempts: Time To Kill A "Warrior" Croc in Ancient Swamps Map 1: 5, 5, 4 secs: Avg = 4.7 secs

Pharaohs Sword
62-66 @ 0.9 sec
Damage in 5 secs: 5/0.9 = 5.56*79 = 439.24
DPS: 102
3 Attempts: Time To Kill A "Warrior" Croc in Ancient Swamps Map 1: 6, 6, 7 secs: Avg = 6.3 secs

In theory, within 5 secs, the Sword would have dealt more damage to the enemy then the Spear.

But in field use, at least to my observations and tests, the Spear downs the same enemy with fewer hits and lesser time.

Perhaps I need to conduct more tests which I will but I would appreciate your input on this matter.

I have already discussed regarding DPS issues here (http://www.spacetimestudios.com/showthread.php?4216-DPS-Weapon-Issue)

BeardedBear
07-10-2010, 10:44 PM
A few things to consider here...

1. Tridents/Spears have a chance to break armor. I've always preferred them over swords for this reason as it can deal major damage. You will notice this effect as a shockwave of sorts is animated while you attack.
2. While being slower, a trident/spear is always going to have a higher crit damage because of the higher damage it causes to begin with.

Keep in mind DPS doesn't consider critical damage or effects, such as stun/break armor/etc, which can outweigh the benefits of a high dps sometimes.

Hope that helps.

v5point0
07-11-2010, 05:46 AM
It definitely does. I don't think so I have notice the shockwave but I will keep a lookout for it.

BeardedBear
07-11-2010, 10:51 AM
It definitely does. I don't think so I have notice the shockwave but I will keep a lookout for it.

What definitely does? And without a doubt, spear has break armor effect.

v5point0
07-12-2010, 05:40 AM
What definitely does? And without a doubt, spear has break armor effect.

The information definitely does help. I am curious regarding the Plasma Sword though as it has the Lightning proc, and I wonder whether it does has the lightning side effect similar to the Mage Skill in example reducing armour. I don't have it to test it out, but I know you do and yet you seem to have a preference for Spears still. Perhaps you have not tested this out or it simply does not have the armour reduction side effect.

I have made some calculations for damage made in 10 seconds to compare the Sword and the Spear and below are my findings:

Plasma Sword
67-72 @ 0.9
10/0.9*67+72/2 = 780.45

Djinn Spear
79-105 @ 1.4
10/1.4*79+105/2 = 616.785

So we can clearly see that the Sword does more damage over time. Add the armour reduction if it exist and the stun, then I guess the Sword very much wins this competition.

BeardedBear
07-12-2010, 07:50 AM
I was comparing the spear to a pharaoh sword, like you stated in the post; not a plasma sword which has a proc.

But nice find with the lightening proc, I wasn't 100% sure if it was THAT effective, besides looking bad ***. I'd say this may be the only sword that can cause more damage than a spear.

Azrael
07-12-2010, 07:58 AM
While the test should be done on mobs that take a long time to die, your point is solid.

Like you said, the spear breaks armor. More importantly however, the fact that it has higher damage means your skills do high damage. Since skills dont interrupt the auto attack swing rate, the spear ends up producing more "real" dps.

I'd test out a plasma sword in pvp if i found one better than the conq one, but i doubt the sword would be the clear winner in that department, being that pvp is all about burst damage. In pve the plasma may win out.

FluffNStuff
07-12-2010, 10:48 AM
I noticed with the spear A star pattern sometimes occurs. Is this the break armor proc?

Rebel
07-12-2010, 10:55 AM
I noticed with the spear A star pattern sometimes occurs. Is this the break armor proc?

Yes, stars represent break armor. You can see thr stars in skills like nightmare, and also in dungeons where mobs are able to use break armor on you.

v5point0
07-14-2010, 08:57 PM
Any findings on the test with the Plasma Sword? I am just curious whether the armor reduction exists? Indeed, that would make it more powerful then any other spear.

Necrobane
07-14-2010, 11:01 PM
Dps is for PvE and Damage is for PvP. The reason for this is high Dps increases your agro if your a tank and porduces fast and steady dps if your a two hand weilding bear. The reason you go for high damage in pvp is to take oponents out fast. PvP doesnt last very long so its better to attack once or twice and thn just deak the remainding damage with abilities.

v5point0
07-15-2010, 03:51 AM
Dps is for PvE and Damage is for PvP. The reason for this is high Dps increases your agro if your a tank and porduces fast and steady dps if your a two hand weilding bear. The reason you go for high damage in pvp is to take oponents out fast. PvP doesnt last very long so its better to attack once or twice and thn just deak the remainding damage with abilities.

What you say is true, but you will be surprise at how well a tank can tank in a PvP especially under the controls of a skilled player. For this reason and based upon some calculations, I was just wondering if the plasma sword would be better then a spear. I haven't got lucky finding it in my farming adventures and I doubt I will be getting it with these killer prices, but I would just like to know whether it outperforms the spear on the long run.

This is heavily reliant on the fact whether it does reduce armor with the lightning strike along with the added advantage of stunning the enemy between slashes.

BeardedBear
07-15-2010, 08:01 AM
I have an Osiris plasma. If someone want's to do some pvp testing, let me know.

v5point0
07-15-2010, 08:35 AM
I have an Osiris plasma. If someone want's to do some pvp testing, let me know.

Sweet :) I would love to conclude this test and post the results. The Osiris would be at an advantage though due to the bonus Str and Crit (I have an Isis Spear) but still this would be a good test.

BeardedBear
07-15-2010, 09:15 AM
If we can find an Osiris spear, that would be best, as there is no Isis plasma so match your spear.

v5point0
07-15-2010, 11:26 AM
I have a thoth spear too, so that would work if we had a thoth plasma.

kinawarrior
07-15-2010, 12:28 PM
A few things to consider here...

1. Tridents/Spears have a chance to break armor. I've always preferred them over swords for this reason as it can deal major damage. You will notice this effect as a shockwave of sorts is animated while you attack.
2. While being slower, a trident/spear is always going to have a higher crit damage because of the higher damage it causes to begin with.

Keep in mind DPS doesn't consider critical damage or effects, such as stun/break armor/etc, which can outweigh the benefits of a high dps sometimes.

Hope that helps.

Do all tridents / spears have this feauture or just high end ones? I don't see it mentioned anywhere on the actual item itself.

BeardedBear
07-15-2010, 12:52 PM
Do all tridents / spears have this feauture or just high end ones? I don't see it mentioned anywhere on the actual item itself.

Procs typically are not always mentioned on the item. All purple/pink tridents and spears have the armor break effect. I can't speak for just white/orange/green.

pvpmaster
07-15-2010, 01:06 PM
:D if u wanna test sword and spear and all ima host a ursa (bear) pvp compitition check out the thread for tht if u r a lvl 45 bear wanting to join it admission cost is 5k a round (yes ik thts might b alot to some poor peps but if u win ull get alot of money :P)

v5point0
07-15-2010, 11:05 PM
Procs typically are not always mentioned on the item. All purple/pink tridents and spears have the armor break effect. I can't speak for just white/orange/green.

:D if u wanna test sword and spear and all ima host a ursa (bear) pvp compitition check out the thread for tht if u r a lvl 45 bear wanting to join it admission cost is 5k a round (yes ik thts might b alot to some poor peps but if u win ull get alot of money :P)

Finally tested the sword, I used a LV43 Zuraz, kudos to Nouda for the sword, had to leave my spear and 50K with him though :P and the verdict is - TEN! TEN! TEN! (DRUM ROLLS)

Nay, no armor reduction from the lighting proc as I get a constant damage fighting a zombie in Forest Haven and a AO2 Black/Grey Spear minion. So the lightning proc is more superficial then actually contributing to the damage. It does a very short stun in between slashes but once the series of slashes are complete you are free.

CONCLUSION
Spears still Rule :)

v5point0
07-15-2010, 11:11 PM
5K pe-round is good, and you get 10K if you win. Yes I would be interested, but I hope you don't walk the same path as PvPKing. Please do it more like how Richie did it, ample time to organize the pairings with consideration to our GMTs and ample notice beforehand.

Rarefew
07-21-2010, 09:59 PM
Sword on a red cloaked marauder: 20 20 20 (estimated) in three secs
spear on same guy: 40 40 (estimated) in three secs

Lesson learned if u can't penetrate the armor u can't do damage

Kurlz
07-28-2010, 12:09 AM
i know im still low level so my opinion prolly doesnt really matter much to you guys, but i tend to go for speed, rather than dps... ive found that if im on my own in a dungeon or something, if i have a weapon with high damage and dps, but low speed, and a weapon with low damage and dps, but high speed, the lower damage weapon will take out the same enemys quicker than the high dam/dps low speed...