PDA

View Full Version : Fail-safe for disconnection problems during runs

ProSophist
11-18-2011, 06:09 PM
Imagine yourself having a 0 death leaderboard toon.
You have about 50k kills and like usual, you are farming all by yourself in the second map of Shipyard.
You find yourself in a very large mob pull. About 20-30 enemies all at the same time.
Your HP is getting dangerously low. You are about at half-health, and you try to hit that RED STIM button.

But then you notice, your HP is not moving. Your character begins to moon walk in a stationary position. Bad guys are on top of you and they have ceased movement.
Being experienced in kill farming, you realize that you probably got disconnected!
Desperate to keep your record, you hit that EXIT button as fast as you can to prevent yourself from dying!

You take a few minutes to catch your breath, and you try to log back in.
But then, you check your avatar menu shortly, and find out that YOU HAVE DIED! :grief:

After all that hard work from keeping your death records unblemished, you will be frustrated to die due to a lag/disconnection problems, wouldn't you?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Right after my beloved BJ died from a similar incident last night, I have contemplated by myself in order to find a way to prevent this from happening, not only to me, but to other players as well.

Implement a fail-safe function that will prevent players from dying due to lag/disconnection

Dilemma

Whenever a player disconnects due to bad ping, it doesn't happen instantaneously. The character stays online for a few brief seconds just right after you have disconnected, which basically leaves you vulnerable to everything. So say that you were in a middle of a mob pull and you disconnect, your character's body will be there for a few seconds and even before you get the chance to log out/in, you would have already died.

How the fail-safe system will work

Basically, once your ping jumps to unprecedented numbers (about 1k ping), your character will automatically be invulnerable and will NOT be able to move until you log back in. This way, if you disconnect, you can feel safe knowing that you will not get a death just because your router took a huge poopy or your brother is downloading some explicit material on the internet.

Reasoning

The number of people going 0 death toons have been increasing. People have different reasons for doing it. Majority of them like the competition around the leaderboard, some like the fact that they get a lot of friend requests or PMs saying "lol hacker" or "how did you not die?" I personally like the concept of 0 death toons because it keeps you on your toes and it gives me a reason to farm and stay leveling. I used to think 0 death toons were stupid, but once you get high up with the kills and you die from something stupid like lag, it is very very disappointing.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So hopefully, you guys may consider this, and make 0 death toon players like myself happy again. :D

Ebalere
11-18-2011, 06:23 PM
I know a few people that play at up to 3k ping. Usually from asia or europe somewhere. Also there would be ways then to exploit this and raise your ping to become invulnerable, which the greatest effect of that would show in PvP.

That said, your idea would need a much higher threshold than 1k. Thing is, sometimes you're lucky to hit the stim button in time at 200 ping, let alone say, 10k ping. (Which is as high as the threshold would need to be to ensure people weren't just running around invincible).

My alternative solution would be this. Just have the game automatically diconnect you at whatever threshold they (devs) deem allowable. This would eliminate major ping spikes from getting you killed, as it would know to diconnect at threshold instead of running off wild.

Even then, there would still be a chance of dying before threshold. I would then say, that sucks but that's what happens on the internet and there's not really a viable solution to fix it. Brainstorming just now... Maybe if the game took YOUR personal average ping, and created a disconnect threshold based off that. Then everyone could benefit no matter what their ping usually is.

Nourish
11-18-2011, 06:24 PM
Love the idea! Btw I'm Glu, believe we ran a few :P

ProSophist
11-18-2011, 06:29 PM
I know a few people that play at up to 3k ping. Usually from asia or europe somewhere. Also there would be ways then to exploit this and raise your ping to become invulnerable, which the greatest effect of that would show in PvP.

That said, your idea would need a much higher threshold than 1k. Thing is, sometimes you're lucky to hit the stim button in time at 200 ping, let alone say, 10k ping. (Which is as high as the threshold would need to be to ensure people weren't just running around invincible).

My alternative solution would be this. Just have the game automatically diconnect you at whatever threshold they (devs) deem allowable. This would eliminate major ping spikes from getting you killed, as it would know to diconnect at threshold instead of running off wild.

Even then, there would still be a chance of dying before threshold. I would then say, that sucks but that's what happens on the internet and there's not really a viable solution to fix it. Brainstorming just now... Maybe if the game took YOUR personal average ping, and created a disconnect threshold based off that. Then everyone could benefit no matter what their ping usually is.

I forgot to add that your character will be frozen at that spot until you log back in. So even if people even find a way to fake their ping somehow, the game will freeze them in place. And yes, the ping threshold will definitely be much higher.

Love the idea! Btw I'm Glu, believe we ran a few :P

Yes I do remember running with you. :)