PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion: Evening out elixirs through speed.

Ellyidol
11-18-2011, 08:31 PM
With the new campaign and everyone rushing to get to level cap, a lot of 4x or combo elixirs are being spent. I haven't had the chance to top-up my platinum yet, so I've been running elixir-free from 61-62.

As a bear, my main peeve is not being able to use my Beckon skill properly, especially since everything would be dead before I could get into range. IMO, it's not the damage from the combo elixirs, it's the speed which the elixired people move.

That said, I would like to suggest a way to allow everyone in the group to participate even when they aren't on elixirs. We know that a big issue is the ruining of the game by the elixirs. Hopefully this would slowly remedy that.

It's simple, a free equivalent speed elixir if the majority of the group has it on. Speed only, nothing more. If 3 out of the 5 group members have a maximum speed elixir on, the remaining two who don't would get a free maximum speed elixir while part of the group. If only two out of the three have it, then there is no such effect. This would just allow everyone in the team to participate in elixir runs, even without using elixirs.

Inversely, if elixired players join a non-elxired run, then the inverse happens. If three out of the five members do not have a speed elixir on, the remaining two lose the speed buff only. Just like the previous suggestion, this would conform them to the majority of the group.

I know, it's giving out a free speed elixir and on the other hand it's removing a paid for speed elixir, but if playing in a group, wouldn't it be beneficial to everyone if each member could participate equally? IMO, it'd be sad if two out of five members are just lagging behind because they can't keep up with speed, while on the other situation, three out of five members are the ones lagging behind because the other two have the speed buff.

Hopefully my point was clear. If not, please let me know :)

TL;DR: Make everyone in the group move at the same speed, whether faster with elixirs or normal speed.

Thanks!

Flippys
11-18-2011, 09:51 PM
I personally would not like to see this. I do agree that people should use more teamwork, but it shouldn't be at the expense of those that have paid for the advantage. I personally use thrashers exclusively while capping out. After that, not so much. But, I am an experienced MMO player, and fully understand team dynamics. I understand the importance of stopping, and letting the normal speed characters to catch up. I hope that I'm silently appreciated for these type of actions.

What I would like to see for elves, is get rid of Blessing of Vitality and give them Haste. An AoE spell with say a range of 3-5m and a duration that increases with skill progression, maybe somewhere between 5-15 sec duration per skill level with a cool down shorter than the duration. The reason I like the shorter range is to promote closeness of teamwork. If you don't come in to get your buffs, then you're on your own. Or, the duration could be a set standard of 60 secs with a cool down of 45 secs and each skill level would increase speed. So skill level 1 a 5% increase in speed, level 2 10% and so on. With a long cool down, you better believe everyone will be lining up for the mass buffs.

I know not all thrasher users will take the time to wipe the blood off of their weapons while the slower members catch up, but with haste, then the thrasher user won't have too. Unless there is no elf in the party...

Ellyidol
11-18-2011, 10:20 PM
I personally would not like to see this. I do agree that people should use more teamwork, but it shouldn't be at the expense of those that have paid for the advantage. I personally use thrashers exclusively while capping out. After that, not so much. But, I am an experienced MMO player, and fully understand team dynamics. I understand the importance of stopping, and letting the normal speed characters to catch up. I hope that I'm silently appreciated for these type of actions.

What I would like to see for elves, is get rid of Blessing of Vitality and give them Haste. An AoE spell with say a range of 3-5m and a duration that increases with skill progression, maybe somewhere between 5-15 sec duration per skill level with a cool down shorter than the duration. The reason I like the shorter range is to promote closeness of teamwork. If you don't come in to get your buffs, then you're on your own. Or, the duration could be a set standard of 60 secs with a cool down of 45 secs and each skill level would increase speed. So skill level 1 a 5% increase in speed, level 2 10% and so on. With a long cool down, you better believe everyone will be lining up for the mass buffs.

I know not all thrasher users will take the time to wipe the blood off of their weapons while the slower members catch up, but with haste, then the thrasher user won't have too. Unless there is no elf in the party...

I was hesitant to propose the second option as well, especially since it will bring up issues on real life cash. The main reason I did that was to even out the first suggestion; give and take. Maybe discard the second one?

That's a nice idea as well. I think we both share a common understanding of how the speed alone affects the entire group and not just the individual player. In fact, in my opinion, the speed elixir is the most compelling reason for the players feeling left out during elixir runs.

Thanks for the response :)

Fyrce
11-19-2011, 02:01 AM
Or they could offer a 3x or 2x gold speed elixir that lasts 5-10min...

Gluttony
11-19-2011, 04:44 AM
I understand the need to balance the dynamics and make this back into a team game; however, I think that this change would only create a larger rift between those you buy the elixirs and those who don't... and rightfully so. From both angles this is a bad choice, if I was an elixir user and someone joining the instance I was in caused me to slow down then I would boot/ask host to boot/leave since it's basically causing me to lose a portion of my combo elixir. I could also see how if I was in a game and my purchased plat elix caused someone to speed up, I would want them booted because they are leeching off me and my money essentially.*

I do dislike getting booted with reasons like "non elix noob" or "4x only club" since it seems a bit elitist, but if I am hindering their gaming due to the fact that I am slowing them down simply because I refuse to spend my money for a group dynamic then it's understandable and almost even expected. If elixirs were gold purchases as they used to be then this would be a great idea, but since they require real money to get access to the highest levels I cannot co-sign on an idea that removes playability from those that paid for it.

*These are not my personal views, I am merely using myself as the example and trying to cover all the bases.

Elyseon
11-19-2011, 10:10 AM
I have never been booted by elix teams for not having an elixir, but often run with them for the most part I can keep up, but the extra boost would be very handy :D

Snipehard
11-19-2011, 12:34 PM
Support :)