PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts about the game

Misfit
10-11-2018, 12:06 AM
I’m super bored right now so I figured I would post my thoughts about the game right now and invite yall to do the same.

This game is dying (kinda already dead) because new players don’t exist. This is because of two things: one, it’s hard to find this game on the app store; two, it is nearly impossible for new players to succeed in the game.

New players cannot have fun in this game in my opinion and this is because of a lot of things. First of all, the maps starting maybe at around AO3 usually have to be completed with teams (unless you have dev of course). The problem is, teams don’t exist anymore; rarely anyone levels up the old way anymore, resulting in new players having to solo difficult maps and dying repeatedly. I made a kill farm character because I am super bored and when I played in maps like humania, any players who joined my game were literally killed in two shots by mobs if I didn’t kill them first. If I was a new player and I had to somehow solo these maps with below average gear and no help whatsoever, I’d definitey quit the game. New players also cannot succeed in this game because they can’t make gold. Anytime someone joined my runs on my kill farmer, I’d ask them how much gold they had and the usual answer was a couple hundred thousand. This isn’t even close to enough to start merching in today’s economy. I usually gave each of them 500k-1m and tried to explain to them that they should merch with it, but most didn’t understand. Also, even if events continue to routinely be implemented, new players will either not know about/understand them, or they will again have to solo difficult mobs since no one runs with noobs. Furthermore, new players can’t even make gold by farming anymore. Popular twink items and sets that used to be plentiful and merched have become collectors items that barey anyone buys. I’ve been trying to collect all the twink dex sets and I haven’t seen someone selling a L60 Glyph Obed set since I started searching. Also, new players cannot succeed in this game simply because of a lack of communication. Not a whole lot of people answer new players’ questions without being super rude. In addition, new players are usually unaware of methods that can make their experience easier; lots of the people who level with me don’t know what Dev is or how to acquire it. Without having a vendor in low level towns with dev in it, or having some sort of up-to-date tutorial/message describing how plat can make the game more enjoyable, this game doesn’t facilitate new players sticking around and grinding with it, or purchasing platinum. In short, new players cannot have fun or succeed because it is impossible to level the old way and nearly impossible to make gold.

I’d also like to post some suggestions and I have (most of which are not realistic at all) regarding PL.

If we do not want this game to die, which I don’t since I have friends here that I’ve known for 7 years now, we need to get more new players to stick around the game. To do this, I think that a more sophisticated tutorial detailing how plat can make things easier, as well as a vendor in each town that offers dev, etc. for plat, should be implemented. Furthermore, maps that are now deserted (not endgame maps obviously) need to have their mobs nerfed so that 1-2 people can clear them without too much difficulty.

Now onto my unrealistic suggestions.

I love the idea of restarting PL. I think it would be very enjoyable to finally have teams of players running maps constantly and farming a wide variety of items that actually have value. I also love the idea of prices not being super high, and pvp being active again. I know that this will never happen obviously.

Another unrealistic idea: I think that for sts to truly create an active game and large community, all of the “legends” games should be remade into a single game. The devs could take the best parts from each game and incorporate them into one master game. It seems like all of the legends games are dying or are dead, besides AL (the largest of them). If sts were to condense all of these player bases into one game, I think that we would all have a more enjoyable experience and the game would be super active. I know that this also will never happen.

I love this game. I have been playing it since I was in fifth grade (now a freshman in college). It is crazy to me to think that this game has been a part of my life for so long and I still enjoy parts of it. This game has been a part of my life for around 7 years and I can never quit it for good, and I never want it to go away completely.

I’d love to hear your thoughts about the current state of the game or suggestions (even unrealistic ones like I stated) to improve aspects of PL.

Thanks to those of you who read all of this.

Waug
10-11-2018, 12:19 AM
I read first few lines, yes I STRONGLY support the fact that there should be done something for new comers to this game apart from the fact that how old players treat newcomers like some racist does in real life that's a whole different topic though.

PL should be much more smoother for new comers as far as getting xp, farming items and gold etc, should be pretty much high priority although probably devs already give up that knowing pl wont get much new players but still this should be done.

burntoutdex
10-11-2018, 12:26 AM
I agree completely.

Like you stated, the most important thing for new players is a way to make gold in this games economy. That has become increasingly difficult task since balefort is seldom full nowadays and anything they may drop in PvE pre-endgame is practically worthless with twinking in the state it is.

Outside of events, there isn't really a hard and fast method for new players to make gold, I even struggle merching in this economy. Events need to be better explained to new players. perhaps mention that making a new character at a lower-level makes the event farming easier because of mob scaling?

Another issue is a lack of players in maps that aren't endgame. Personally, I can't even solo maps after and including Humania, albeit, my main is undergeared. They are simply too difficult without a team.

That being said, there is no way a new player would ever be able to reach endgame without buying platinum - it's too difficult to solo most maps after Level 70. There isn't enough of an active player-base that runs the lower level maps because everyone and their dog just runs prison and maxx.

There needs to be some incentive to run the lower level maps now. It used to be pink items and farming. But all that is irrelevant considering twinking is dead and the only non-endgame items with any worth in PvE are dev-dragon's or stat-gun's. If a new incentive is ever added, it needs to be made clear for new players that there is a way to make gold by running these maps.

Perhaps, like you mentioned, mobs should be scaled down in difficulty - maybe just decrease their health or damage, not sure. Maybe bosses in lower-level dungeons should drop more gold? Though, that could be easily abused.

I'm not sure what changes should be made. Though, there needs to be some or this game will surely die out without an influx of new players. Though, we said much the same in 2013 and we're still here lol

Buchmeister
10-11-2018, 12:36 AM
So I know not a lot of people tend to understand this, but game population is relatively consistent between games. There is a large arc of players during the beginning of the game's lifespan that dies out quickly or moderately. People have been saying PL is dead for as long as I can remember, but there has been a consistent amount of people online at one time or another. I do agree that, yes, some changes are needed. PL can definitely be better than it is now but it's getting there with all these new events and such.

Dunno why Cinco just had an epiphany and all of the sudden started adding in boatloads of events to the point where we're getting NEW items, not reskins. That is extremely refreshing.

Draebatad
10-11-2018, 01:31 AM
As Buch pointed out, there is a curve for games and after X amount of time the community dies off at exponential rates. Then you're left with, well, what we have today in PL. Disease. Decay. Crickets. End stage by every possible meaning. A game that neither attracts new players nor retains old ones.

I've said this before. I'll say it again. It might be worthy of their time and resources to actually make a title we'd all play: Pocket Legends 2: The Saga Continues (the name of their choice), as opposed to the other titles that never made it far but were awesome nonetheless. These people are amazing at what they do, they just need to focus on the right thing and at the right time. Is now the time?

I think a PL2 done right, marketed right, would be a huge and lasting hit. What do you get? No more of the same old stuff as we've had here. Even the events are losing value. We've all done this. We've done this game for years! Some of you since middle school. It's time for a change. It's time for something truly new, instead of bandages.

In a nutshell what we need is something new that we can relate to that takes us from here and far beyond on a whole new level. Continue where PL left off with PL2 and get all new everything - campaigns, quests, bosses, mobs, items, mechanics, add some new modes for pvp and pve, etc, etc, etc, etc. Vastly upgraded graphics and sounds.

The only question I have is, where the heck is PL2?

We love PL, but at this point in time, it's like beating a dead horse.

Domimation
10-11-2018, 01:55 AM
Not sure if many know me yet or may have seen me around im Powerleval, Elixjunkie, Domimation.

I've recently started undertaking the path of being a twitch streamer through PL i have managed to hit affiliate which i am very thankful for the community for since the start i have had a lot of people wanting obviously giveaways and other forms of free income iv been thinking of ways i can help grow pl and get some fresh life on of the methods i was going to do was "raiding" other MMORPG game streamers to shed some light on pl.

i often do streams for farming to get a group of people together or try help some new kids out. recently a couple of friends and i had a lot of lv1 elites and low lv amus overstocked so we made Santa names and got Santa outfits gifting random items and gear to low lv toons or fresh people to the game.

I'm down to stand in Forrest haven helping every new kid through the game but at the same time as thebigboo said once u hit lv50ish u need to have a team to run u need to have some gear behind you or your forced to buy plat and skip these sections.

I personally plat farm and plat lv and wont lie it hurts the bank but its something i enjoy so sts has earned my money but at the same point i stand in towns daily to only see the numbers get smaller and smaller.

Fwend
10-11-2018, 02:33 AM
I enjoy reading posts where the thread shows their passion for our beloved Pocket Legends game.

Any new ideas to improve the game and to make the player base grow is wonderful.

I too love and have played PL for years, and now I play for sentimental reasons, the pure love of the easy game play, the quick and simple chat system and most of all the friends I've met.

The recent changes and improvements to PL are amazing, the ongoing events and the fact that STS are actively listening to our suggestions on forums and introduce what they feel will benefit the game.

PL has had its ups and downs, surge of activity and its lows. Its been 8 marvellous long years and I hope for many many more.

NukeDragon
10-11-2018, 01:40 PM
I would like to show off my old clan I am still in with a few alternate characters, infinitum, they are probably the best guild for the new players to join. They will help level people just getting into the game. They are super friendly and have a great atmosphere in general. The guild masters which used to even include myself encourage everyone to help each other. Now they are not a PVP guild which is why I left with my main accounts for Apex, but if your looking for an amazing guild for PVE and helping others is something you like I would love for you to check this guild out. Infinitum was good for me when I came back to this game after being off for many many years. I remember when the game started, I was more of a PVE player back then and until like maybe 5 months ago, but if you see me around feel free to say hello! I’m genuinely a very nice guy. Most everyone that actually knows me can vouch for me on what I have said.