PDA

View Full Version : better ping IPhone 3GS or IPhone 4GS?

Protank
11-25-2011, 02:33 PM
I know 4G is faster then 3G but does any body know what device has better ping on same wifi router? my friend has the old 4G, I have the old 3GS and on same router I always have better ping then he does. any body know about the new 4GS iPhone and how it compares to the older two models? just talking ping on wifi here thx!

Zerious
11-25-2011, 02:59 PM
I don't, sorry, I just wanted to point out how weird that is... I was gonna get a 4th gen iPod for better performance bit I guess that saved me some money....

Kaarataka
11-25-2011, 07:16 PM
ping is the time it takes a packet of information to go from your phone to the server and back. Since you are both on the same network, this points to one of two things. the first could be that you have a better wifi card (hardware) in your older 3gs. Since I don't have the tech specs in front of me, I would assume this is a false conclusion because your phone is a previous generation. The second thing to consider is other services using the connection on each of your phones. You see you phone may not have things that are constantly communication with the internet, like email or facebook for instance. His may have his email being "pushed" to his phone whenever his phone has a internet connection. There are many possibilities on what is causing it but I would first look at the running services on your friends phone and try to turn off any that are not essential. Now don't go insane and start killing services you don't know about. That can cause system instability and crashes.

Good luck

Protank
11-25-2011, 11:22 PM
hmm good points but I know the 4g phone had the antenna burried in the phone and they had signal problems. they gave out cases to all the people who bought them to help with signal but my 3gs still was lower ping 100% of the time. wondering if they fixed the issue with the 4Gs model.

o and hey wsup zerious long time no see!

Kaarataka
11-26-2011, 12:00 AM
Doing well, working on my guild and ctf skills as always. I was under the impression that the antenna issue dropped phone calls. This was due to a short in a circuit if your hand completed the circuit. This would cause disconnections not higher over-all ping. I still think it's a service running in the background sending information while he is playing.

Lorddeathz
11-26-2011, 12:03 AM
Doesnt matter the phn its the signal u have trust me...

Kaarataka
11-26-2011, 12:10 AM
Doesnt matter the phn its the signal u have trust me...

read the whole thread. He states they are on the same wifi connection. It's in the first and second sentences!

better ping on same wifi router

my friend has the old 4G, I have the old 3GS and on same router

Zeus
11-26-2011, 12:40 AM
Protank, it's the iPhone 4 and iPhone 4S. 4G is a cellular network that delivers 10mpbs+ speed (Advertising rate).

The iPhone 4S will have substantially lower ping than the iPhone 4. Doing a test on both of mine, as I have the iPhone 4 and iPhone 4S. My iPhone 4S gets around 50-100 ping lower on average. I suspect this is due to the dual core in the iPhone 4S as well as the upgraded GPU, graphics processing unit.

I hope I helped, bro!

Also, I strongly recommend the iPhone 4S. If you are going by color, I suggest you go with white too, just because it's classy. :D

Protank
11-26-2011, 02:28 AM
ok thx guys! I was just wondering because I'm getting the 4gs in about a week and I hope the ping is just as good or better then my 3gs phone. I can't go white btw. it would get get destroyed at work. o wait, white phone black otter box hmm might look beast!

KTpantyhose
11-26-2011, 02:51 PM
i wouldn't ever buy anything that was was a later model. the 4g has a faster processor. and the 4gs had the same processor as an iPad 2... so yeah..

Zeus
11-26-2011, 02:53 PM
People keep calling it the 4G, bah! It's not! 4G is a DATA network, 4S is a model of the phone!

iPhone 3G was called 3G because of the data network. iPhone 3GS was called 3GS because of the data network as well as the updated processor speed, as "S" stands for speed.

The iPhone 4 was called 4 because it was the 4th generation of iPhones. The iPhone 4S was called the iPhone 4S because it was an update to it's predecessor, the iPhone 4, bringing faster speed, graphics, Siri, and a better camera.

I hope I clarified. :D

ok thx guys! I was just wondering because I'm getting the 4gs in about a week and I hope the ping is just as good or better then my 3gs phone. I can't go white btw. it would get get destroyed at work. o wait, white phone black otter box hmm might look beast!

White or Black won't make a difference. White actually shows less scratches should the phone get scratched, which it shouldn't as the glass they use is pretty resistant to scratches. The only thing that scratches it is jewelry and sand. Metal keys won't scratch it unless you apply lots of pressure to it.

As for the white model getting dirty? The Black will actually appear dirtier and none of them will actually ever be permanently dirty. Why? The phone is made out of glass, the color is underneath the glass, so all the mars and blemishes can simply by wiped off with your clothing or a microfiber cloth.