PDA

View Full Version : Does anybody's muscles do this?

Zeus
11-30-2011, 11:00 PM
Hey guys, so I have been experiencing this lately and I don't know what's wrong. I did some research on Google, but I want to see from the general public as well.

So, lately, I have been getting muscle spasms. It's usually after I eat or even drank water! The way it works is this: The muscles that tend to spasm, contract in and out very rapidly, are my biceps, pectorals, the vein next to your wrist (Not the radial vein itself, but something near it I guess), and my quadriceps. It's not all at the same time, but they tend to spasm and as days go by, it is doing it more and more often. It used to happen twice every month, but now it's happening at least once a week.

Anybody with any medical background know what's wrong? At first I thought I was low on potassium, so I bulked up on that, but it didn't really help.

The spasms usually last anywhere from 1-10 minute and they are not painful in any way.

CrimsonTider
11-30-2011, 11:12 PM
Can be due to muscle fatigue as well. Have you been exercising for frequently or getting less sleep? Also, watch the potassium intake. Potassium is one of the salts (sodium being the other) involved in muscle contraction. Too much of an increase can cause an imbalance in the opposite direction in which you are taking.

If it persists, just head to the doc. :)

BodMaster
11-30-2011, 11:12 PM
I'm into bodybuilding and I get this quite often at times, and not directly after training but a few hours after. Used to happen quite abit or the more I focused on it the longer it lasted, though this comes and goes with me.. Never found out what causes it etc but a few gym buddies get the same too.

Don't think eating or drinking would effect it though when lifting your arm suddenly to bring this up to your mouth then maybe that movement has something to do with the spasms. Anyhoo I would also love to hear more about how this is caused or ways to prevent it. Don't hurt or anything but more of an annoyance.

Paar
11-30-2011, 11:13 PM
Are they like for Example: Kid Swinging His arm or Kid Smacks Someone and says "oops Spasm"? Or like your arms randomly Swinging? Kind of in movie?

BodMaster
11-30-2011, 11:17 PM
The ones I get are like a pulsating movement not the whole arm leg etc spasm 'in out of control ;)

DJMdivine
11-30-2011, 11:25 PM
If I get a chill or stay out in the cold for 10 minutes I get Uncontrollable muscle spasms. It's normal for me though. :/

Zeus
11-30-2011, 11:35 PM
Can be due to muscle fatigue as well. Have you been exercising for frequently or getting less sleep? Also, watch the potassium intake. Potassium is one of the salts (sodium being the other) involved in muscle contraction. Too much of an increase can cause an imbalance in the opposite direction in which you are taking.

If it persists, just head to the doc. :)

Definitely been getting less sleep; I get 4-5 hours of sleep on average.

Cytokinesis
11-30-2011, 11:38 PM
I get 4-5 hours of sleep on average.
:O Bad Parth-ie!!!!!!! get 8hrs of sleep(;

BodMaster
12-01-2011, 12:29 AM
:O Bad Parth-ie!!!!!!! get 8hrs of sleep(;

People actually get to do that :O

Cascade
12-01-2011, 12:37 AM
I'm still tired even if I get 8 hours of sleep. :0

Artentreri
12-01-2011, 01:03 AM
I get those all the time, it's just from over working your muscles. It's hilarious, I'll sit and watch my should jump for an hour.

mrnofunz
12-01-2011, 01:12 AM
It usually happens to me after an intense workout only if I haven't nourished my body sufficiently. Take your vitamins, eat well(all food groups), drink lot's of water and sleep well. You will feel better. There are a lot of reasons your muscles can spasm...just take care of yourself :)

Artentreri
12-01-2011, 01:54 AM
Well, I smoke, have a horrible sleep schedule, and eat maybe twice a day haha.

Petrichor
12-01-2011, 08:19 AM
Definitely been getting less sleep; I get 4-5 hours of sleep on average.

-.-

ProSophist
12-01-2011, 09:14 AM
That's called muscle fasciculation. You basically get twitching that feels like a heartbeat. I had that on my left triceps a month ago that lasted for about a week. It can last for a day or can go for months.

How do you get it? Stress from not getting enough sleep and bad diet.

You can also get it from muscle fatigue. But I doubt you've been doing any bicep curls while playing SL.

BodMaster
12-01-2011, 09:17 AM
That's called muscle fasciculation. You basically get twitching that feels like a heartbeat. I had that on my left triceps a month ago that lasted for about a week. It can last for a day or can go for months.

How do you get it? Stress from not getting enough sleep and bad diet.

You can also get it from muscle fatigue. But I doubt you've been doing any bicep curls while playing SL.

No sleep, bad diet (as of late), and muscle fatigue is sure to bring this on? Well that's me done for life :p

arischal
12-01-2011, 09:28 AM
I had terrible spasms while running the Marathon and for a while afterwards. The spasms are probably due to muscle fatigue or lack of nutrients that are needed. I would take a multivitamin everyday and drink a ton of water. It'll definitely help. If it still is happening after a while I would see a doctor

Artentreri
12-01-2011, 12:21 PM
I've been working out since I was like 12, when I first started playin soccer and stuff. Not bodybuilding, just keeping in shape. Over the past 3ish years that has happened to me at least 100+ times. I lift 15 lb dumbbells and curl about 70-80 lb, do some pushups, and repeat 2 more times. Reps of 15 is what I do, but that's just me. I have gone to the doctor about it and he just tells me to slack off the physical activity for a little while. I never listen to them white coats though. Haha.

CrimsonTider
12-01-2011, 12:35 PM
Parth.... SLEEPPPP!!!! And thanks to ProSophist for doing the technicalities for me. I was too sleepy last night to begin using 5+ syllable words. ;)

MayhemMonkey
12-01-2011, 12:42 PM
Many things can cause muscle spasms. It would be hard to determine the cause without knowing your lifestyle or diet. I'm not a health professional, but I had a similar problem in the past and I've done a lot of research. One of the most common causes of muscle spasms is the lack of Calcium and/or vitamin D. Try mixing in milk, cheese or yogurt in your diet as those are great sources of both.

Nick41324
12-01-2011, 12:50 PM
i have the same muscle spasms. Mine are usally in my fingers though (probably too much PL). My thumb twitches uncontrollable, so i usally try and pop the joint thats twiching to make it stop.

Artentreri
12-01-2011, 12:54 PM
That gives ya arthritis, just like crackin your knuckles. Just a tip haha.