PDA

View Full Version : Remember the Napster Issues? Now PirateBay.

WoundedEagle
11-30-2011, 11:31 PM
I hope this doesn't get me in trouble, but I would just like to do some informing. Not long ago, Napster was facing challenges with those who downloaded free music, and the government. Basically, every file you downloaded, would fine you. People like a women from Minnesota, who was charged $1.9 million for downloading music, illegally. Link to news article:

http://www.ehow.com/about_6671459_penalty-downloading-music-illegally.html

Anyways, now BitTorrent websites, like PirateBay, are undergoing the same things. I believe movie downloading from a site like that is a $250,000 fine.... for each movie. This is rather just a fair warning that you may want to delete any files, if you downloaded from anywhere like that, and clear all history possible. Honestly, I would suggest a restore. I hope this helps, as the government is censoring the internet, and I only want to help out my fellow forumers :) Oh. and don't even visit the sites, that's is how they are tracked.

-we

Artentreri
12-01-2011, 12:13 AM
Lame, now I have to go back to burnin cds.

Cascade
12-01-2011, 12:22 AM
Haha why not just buy songs instead of getting free pirated ones.

Artentreri
12-01-2011, 01:03 AM
Cuz I'm poor.

MightyMicah
12-01-2011, 01:11 AM
Here in korea you can buy all sorts of pirated crap dirt cheap *shifts eyes suspiciously* lol thanks for the info though!

Ellyidol
12-01-2011, 02:36 AM
This issue is really interesting IMO, been having arguments for and against it in school.

I personally argue against it, main point being that with the unimaginable increase in reliance and integration of the digital format into our lives, same thing will happen with piracy. In other words, IMO, piracy comes hand in hand with digital development.

I would much rather spend resources on trying to find ways to dilute the opportunity for piracy instead of trying to fight it head on.

Skeletonlord
12-01-2011, 02:46 AM
Haha why not just buy songs instead of getting free pirated ones.

This came through my mind when I read through woundedeagles post. You might as well buy ones than get fined.

KingFu
12-01-2011, 03:00 AM
Dumb question, I mean really dumb: Dirpy.com is a piracy site, correct? You put in a link from YouTube videos, and it records the audio and let's you download it to your computer (and then move it into your phones' files). I personally just use this since my sisters' computer got ruined from limewire/frostwire. So I've been really on the edge about this stuff. Not really sure of the laws of it, since I'm just used to seeing/hearing it being done due to my older sisters growing up.

WhoIsThis
12-01-2011, 03:43 AM
Intellectual property laws these days hinder innovation ... not help it.

There are other long term problems as well:
http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2011/11/why-sopa-endangers-americas-internet-leadership.ars

I don't have the link off the top of mind head, but there was a study done that showed a strong correlation between corporate lobbying and piracy enforcement.

WoundedEagle
12-01-2011, 07:31 AM
It's a very interesting subject :) but, it is limited. There are a lot of music sites that you could download free music, and even though the government will continue to try to censor the Internet, it will never happen in our days. Well, it's just a song, just a download, just a 3 minute harmony. What harm is done? You could call it a lot of things, probably not great things but whatever. And David, I did the same thing with YouTube downloader and Android Converter on my old Droid. Didn't really think much of it...

Fao
12-01-2011, 07:50 AM
My friend does this like crazy on his iPod. He gets anything and everything for free, but when he tried It on pat, it banned him forever

Artentreri
12-01-2011, 12:27 PM
That sucks so much, cuz that's where I got all my stuff was pirate bay. They had everything man, good download speed, downloader reviews to know which links were broken, I even burned some games off of there.

Delphina
12-01-2011, 06:25 PM
Just a reminder that discussing ways to pirate content is not allowed. Thread will be locked.