PDA

View Full Version : Officially been made redundant..

BodMaster
12-01-2011, 09:12 AM
So I've officially been made redundant as of today, and I'm just unsure where to go from here.

Basically the organisation I worked for was government related, I helped people on benefits back into work (ironic I know). A new government program was launched and with it all offices included (7-9 in the UK). All for the company to make a huge (super) office in head office, meaning anyone involved got made redundant about 16-25 per office.

So after that knockback I'm still a little bent out of shape. I know I can hear you saying "well you helped people to get in to work this should be a cinch" wrong :( with there being no jobs out there its become harder and harder to keep up with the amount of jobless that come through the door.

I'm wondering is it best to wait for a job I really like and want to do.. Downside, may not find one for a good couple of months!

Or take the other road and get any job that comes my way? Money while waiting for a good job to show up.. Downside some of these jobs can be soul destroying!

This happening to me has made me realise that contracted government jobs are not exactly the most secure atm and that's what I'm looking for. Seems all the knowledge, experience and hard work in that field of work had been for nothing.. Maybe time for a career change in total.

If I was being made redundant on my performance or a few hand picked out of the office id understand but all this for a new office in HQ is ridiculous :( am i being unreasonable here or what?

Ugg, will be nice to hear a little feedback on this, even if it is a few posts all is welcome negative and positive :)

Thanks for listening either way ;)

javier995
12-01-2011, 09:24 AM
I'm sorry bud, you'll find another soon!

Don't worry ill pay you 1k a day to grind with me! That's your new job:)

Rittik
12-01-2011, 09:24 AM
So sorry to hear this :'( Best of luck Friend !! :D
May be at StS...(if very lucky)
I am sure you will find your dream job...i am with you Bod!

BodMaster
12-01-2011, 09:46 AM
I'm sorry bud, you'll find another soon!

Don't worry ill pay you 1k a day to grind with me! That's your new job:)

Lmao! Thanks for the chuckle Jav, well needed atm, don't want to get into that depression mode, want to do something about it ASAP.

So sorry to hear this :'( Best of luck Friend !! :D
May be at StS...(if very lucky)
I am sure you will find your dream job...i am with you Bod!

Cheers Bro :) (Gets on first plane to Austin ;))

MimeRifle
12-01-2011, 09:50 AM
OMG, Bod... I am sorry to hear this. Sometimes things seem to pile on, don't they? (When it rains, it pours)

My advice would be to get anything quick - and think of it as temporary. Just to keep coins in your pocket, and dedicate time as you go to following your true dream. Begin to make a roadmap... where do you want to be, and what are the very first steps to getting there?? Don't be impatient. Find work that you can do well, so it doesn't drain your energy - but keep your eye on the horizon.

"Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you've imagined. As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler."
- Thoreau

Best of luck my friend.

Growwle
12-01-2011, 09:50 AM
So I've officially been made redundant as of today, and I'm just unsure where to go from here.

Basically the organisation I worked for was government related, I helped people on benefits back into work (ironic I know). A new government program was launched and with it all offices included (7-9 in the UK). All for the company to make a huge (super) office in head office, meaning anyone involved got made redundant about 16-25 per office.

So after that knockback I'm still a little bent out of shape. I know I can hear you saying "well you helped people to get in to work this should be a cinch" wrong :( with there being no jobs out there its become harder and harder to keep up with the amount of jobless that come through the door.

I'm wondering is it best to wait for a job I really like and want to do.. Downside, may not find one for a good couple of months!

Or take the other road and get any job that comes my way? Money while waiting for a good job to show up.. Downside some of these jobs can be soul destroying!

This happening to me has made me realise that contracted government jobs are not exactly the most secure atm and that's what I'm looking for. Seems all the knowledge, experience and hard work in that field of work had been for nothing.. Maybe time for a career change in total.

If I was being made redundant on my performance or a few hand picked out of the office id understand but all this for a new office in HQ is ridiculous :( am i being unreasonable here or what?

Ugg, will be nice to hear a little feedback on this, even if it is a few posts all is welcome negative and positive :)

Thanks for listening either way ;)

I know how you feel, my job was "synergized" a couple years ago and I found myself unemployed after 10 years. I just applied for three or four jobs a day over eight months and finally found a reasonable job. It sucks to start at the bottom again, but it is a marginally better life than on unemployment.

javier995
12-01-2011, 09:55 AM
Lmao! Thanks for the chuckle Jav, well needed atm, don't want to get into that depression mode, want to do something about it ASAP.

Cheers Bro :) (Gets on first plane to Austin ;))

Yw buddy! I knew you needed a laugh:)

Wait take me with you! (Gets into Bods biggest bag, turns on phone, and begin to play SL)

BodMaster
12-01-2011, 10:09 AM
OMG, Bod... I am sorry to hear this. Sometimes things seem to pile on, don't they? (When it rains, it pours)

My advice would be to get anything quick - and think of it as temporary. Just to keep coins in your pocket, and dedicate time as you go to following your true dream. Begin to make a roadmap... where do you want to be, and what are the very first steps to getting there?? Don't be impatient. Find work that you can do well, so it doesn't drain your energy - but keep your eye on the horizon.

"Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you've imagined. As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler."
- Thoreau

Best of luck my friend.

Tell me about it :(

Very wise words that Thoreau!

Think that's the direction I was leaning towards, though I'm not sure what I want to do anymore, I felt that being an Advisor and helping people was the route that I've wanted for years now, but the government side may not be the best choice for someone like me. I can deal with contract changes we had about 6 changes while I was there. All of which had different objectives and ways to go around the un-employment field be it Employers or Self-Employment.

I can adapt to the following, learning the Provider Guidance, the rules and regulations, sanctions etc basically changes pretty quickly. But moving to a whole new department and applying my skills there seems to be where my downfall is, mostly because this doesn't usually happen as they've all been under the same employer.

I know how you feel, my job was "synergized" a couple years ago and I found myself unemployed after 10 years. I just applied for three or four jobs a day over eight months and finally found a reasonable job. It sucks to start at the bottom again, but it is a marginally better life than on unemployment.

Well done on the Job Growwle :D

It is hard, and I've found when unemployed I seem to wait for the right job to arise, though due to these circumstances I doubt I could survive for 6-8 months without a job to keep me on my feet so to speak.

Redbridge
12-01-2011, 10:17 AM
I'd def suggest the do anything rather than wait route. Stay active.

Also, would they consider you for a post in the new central HQ? Would mean moving but you'd be able to stay in the job u like and would show lots of willing on ur part.

Good Luck with it all. Whereabouts in the UK are you based currently?

BodMaster
12-01-2011, 10:28 AM
I'd def suggest the do anything rather than wait route. Stay active.

Also, would they consider you for a post in the new central HQ? Would mean moving but you'd be able to stay in the job u like and would show lots of willing on ur part.

Good Luck with it all. Whereabouts in the UK are you based currently?

Thanks Redd, I live in Wales, Newport, and the HO (HQ) is in Sheffield (England), they offered me 3k (£) to commute on top of my wages per year, though after a long discussion with my gf (now my ex, as of late) we decided that it wasn't the route for us, and I turned it down. 3k wasn't enough to travel there and back each day and moving away was not an option at the time, all places have been taken now. If only I could have seen that coming, guess it just wasn't to be.

Artentreri
12-01-2011, 12:37 PM
Man, you wanna hear about some crazy job endings, I got fired from dairy queen for having a seizure one day. Haha ridiculous people dude. Just keep your head up, do whatever you need to do to stay positive. Grab some lame 9-5 for a little while, save up some money from that and maybe take a week long vacation. Find you a new old lady too maybe?

ninjaduck
12-01-2011, 12:40 PM
Sorry to hear it Bod :(

Where are you originally from?

Growwle
12-01-2011, 12:42 PM
Man, you wanna hear about some crazy job endings, I got fired from dairy queen for having a seizure one day. Haha ridiculous people dude. Just keep your head up, do whatever you need to do to stay positive. Grab some lame 9-5 for a little while, save up some money from that and maybe take a week long vacation. Find you a new old lady too maybe?

Isn't that considered an unlawful termination?

BodMaster
12-01-2011, 12:43 PM
Man, you wanna hear about some crazy job endings, I got fired from dairy queen for having a seizure one day.

Wow is that even legal? :O

Haha ridiculous people dude. Just keep your head up, do whatever you need to do to stay positive. Grab some lame 9-5 for a little while, save up some money from that and maybe take a week long vacation. Find you a new old lady too maybe?

Haha sounds like a plan! ;)

Cheers Art, Guess its time I start throwing my C.V. out there at least :p

BodMaster
12-01-2011, 12:45 PM

Thanks bro, born and raised in the UK, Wales :p

Artentreri
12-01-2011, 12:51 PM
Wow is that even legal? :O

Haha sounds like a plan! ;)

Cheers Art, Guess its time I start throwing my C.V. out there at least :p

No, it's not, but I was 16 at the time livin from house to house so I didn't think about it too much haha.

Definitely, just make sure to show her off to your last one. Haha.

Bakoffmycandy
12-01-2011, 12:54 PM
Very sorry to hear Bod. Job market is super tight right now. Keep your head up & that positive attitude your known for :)

Been unemployed all summer & not from lack of looking for work, just from bring picky & not wanting to take a step backwards. Getting a job & actually getting paid what your worth is a rarity now a days.

I say don't be overly picky but definitely don't take a job that you feel is beneath you. Things will pan out if you put your mind to it!

ninjaduck
12-01-2011, 01:03 PM

Wow really??? I completely thought you were american. LOL! Welcome to the "Im from the UK" club... you are the 5th member -____-

Samhayne
12-01-2011, 01:15 PM
That sucks, Bodmaster :( Sorry to hear you've lost your job.

Long story short, I was laid off from the Dev Studio I was working at back in Jan of 2010. I got involved in doing contract Community Work which led to me meeting Gary Gattis (Spacetime CEO) at the 2010 Game Developer's Conference and I started doing contract work for them. Fast forward a year later and I was hired full time by Gary to the position I have now at Spacetime.

So, while I know it stings be laid off now, you are alive, kicking and the future is full of possibilities. Focus on the positive. Get out there and network. Volunteer or otherwise help out with something you're interested or passionate about and see what doors open up.

BodMaster
12-01-2011, 01:17 PM
No, it's not, but I was 16 at the time livin from house to house so I didn't think about it too much haha.

Definitely, just make sure to show her off to your last one. Haha.

Was going to say then, what excuse did they use this time! lol, because the line of work I used to be in I've heard my fair share of those unlawful stories, but if the person at the time didn't realise or didn't want to cause a fuss on getting this actioned there are ways around it unfortunately :(

Lmao I'm sure that would go down well haha.

Very sorry to hear Bod. Job market is super tight right now. Keep your head up & that positive attitude your known for :)

Been unemployed all summer & not from lack of looking for work, just from bring picky & not wanting to take a step backwards. Getting a job & actually getting paid what your worth is a rarity now a days.

I say don't be overly picky but definitely don't take a job that you feel is beneath you. Things will pan out if you put your mind to it!

Thanks buddy! Don't feel any (Legit) job is beneath me as such, but I can see where you are coming from. Just don't want to get too comfortable in that job, as I know that can take me into a mindless job, with no potential gains from it.

Wow really??? I completely thought you were american. LOL! Welcome to the "Im from the UK" club... you are the 5th member -____-

Lol! When I out in my two cents, I change it too pennies :p Im sure there are more members from here hidden somewhere, Bo, introduced me into a few id say I know 10+

BodMaster
12-01-2011, 01:46 PM
That sucks, Bodmaster :( Sorry to hear you've lost your job.

Long story short, I was laid off from the Dev Studio I was working at back in Jan of 2010. I got involved in doing contract Community Work which led to me meeting Gary Gattis (Spacetime CEO) at the 2010 Game Developer's Conference and I started doing contract work for them. Fast forward a year later and I was hired full time by Gary to the position I have now at Spacetime.

So, while I know it stings be laid off now, you are alive, kicking and the future is full of possibilities. Focus on the positive. Get out there and network. Volunteer or otherwise help out with something you're interested or passionate about and see what doors open up.

Cheers Sam! Wow that was a pretty well turnout for meeting JustG under those circumstances, im sure that your work didn't go unnoticed then, and the hard work you show is astounding! He's lucky to have found you as you him. :)

Funny you should mention that, also been thinking about going down this route. Was advised to pop down to the local College or Uni and enquire about helping around as a volunteer helping foreigners (Meaning First Language not English) with computer skills etc, like a beginners course, and see if that leads to any openings. In my job I gained numerous qualifications, including Information, Advise and Guidance, and Preparing To Teach in the Lifelong Learning Sector (PTLLS) both in which will help me along this route if I do decide to.

As for Interest and Passion, its helping people, knowing that your guidance can better something no matter what. Another is Weight Training/Fitness, when in the course for PTLLS, I had to put together training materials (in which I had a night to come up with) for a quick Training lesson of your choice, I picked 'How to train at home, without having the luxury of going to the gym' After the session with people that do this for a living (10-15 of them to critique) I was surprised on the feedback given! Pretty much everyone there said I had a passion for this and could Teach/Train this subject for a career/living.

Thanks again guys, this is just what I was hoping to achieve on making this thread, you've all been great and given some awesome advise, that all will be taken into consideration moving forward! :D

StompArtist
12-01-2011, 02:35 PM

Isn't Torchwood in Wales? Go get a job with them! You'll get to shoot aliens and stuff.

Seriously, tough, better to go out and start applying for jobs than sitting out waiting for the perfect job... Nothing worst than a 1 year hole on a resume.

BodMaster
12-01-2011, 04:01 PM
Isn't Torchwood in Wales? Go get a job with them! You'll get to shoot aliens and stuff.

Seriously, tough, better to go out and start applying for jobs than sitting out waiting for the perfect job... Nothing worst than a 1 year hole on a resume.

LOL! Yup pretty much up the road from em :p, Cardiff which is the capital. That water thing is pretty cool mind ;)

Very true!!! Thanks bud, that's one thing I don't want on my C.V. after so long being employed :)

jenniebeans
12-02-2011, 01:09 AM
First of all....nothing about you is redundant ;)

Second of all...I'm sorry for all that's happened to you :(

Lastly, I agree with those who have already posted. I think you should take what you can get (for now) and work out the rest later. you never know, that job you just took "for now" could be the one that changes your life and helps you find your bliss. Money is important, we need it to survive, but your happiness is also important!

Good luck my friend...I'll be thinking about you!

BodMaster
12-02-2011, 11:16 PM
First of all....nothing about you is redundant ;)

Second of all...I'm sorry for all that's happened to you :(

Lastly, I agree with those who have already posted. I think you should take what you can get (for now) and work out the rest later. you never know, that job you just took "for now" could be the one that changes your life and helps you find your bliss. Money is important, we need it to survive, but your happiness is also important!

Good luck my friend...I'll be thinking about you!

Thanks for your kind words Sweets! :D

It has been a living nightmare but im dealing with it all the best that i can. I have a little redundancy money to keep me going for a while, but agree on it still counting. Think im gona just put myself out there, if i get the job and am not 110% on it then can always turn it down, should make for good practice when my 'dream job' arises :p

Growwle
12-02-2011, 11:45 PM
I had posted my response to Bod in the morning while I was warming up my car for the drive to work. Ironically, about 9.5 hours later, after a busy day working my rear off and after having customers and co-workers alike tell me that I am very good at my job, my supervisor walked in, handed me a check and said I was terminated. Apparently it was against my companies non-written policies to use the sick / emergency / Vacation time I was given for family emergencies I had earlier in the year, then the bad luck of having my car break down, two days before and getting to work a half hour late due to the co-worker that picked me up that day sleeping through his alarm. Cruel fate I guess. Now, I too am facing an uncertain future with only enough money to survive for a month. I instantly started applying for jobs though, so hopefully something will work out.

arqueroverde
12-03-2011, 02:12 AM
Bod and Growwle,

I feel for both of you. Losing a job due to circumstances that are not under your control really stinks, especially when you have worked long and hard for an employer. Sometimes we need to be removed from a particular commitment in life so that we are available for the next better opportunity. This applies to jobs, to relationships, to whatever we may be invested in at a particular time in life. It can be easy for some of us to get comfortable in a job or relationship that is comfortable but not necessarily best for us.

I look back at my own life (I am 48 years old) and I can see how many times I lost a job or a relationship or a hobby that was important to me. I was engaged three times before I finally married the right woman, and I am so glad that I did not marry either of the first two gals. There were not bad choices, just not the best choice for a marriage partner for me. I was also not the best potential husband for either one of them. In my case, I had to give up good to get better. Then I had to lose better to get best. Now I am married to an awesome woman who is the perfect match for me.

Back to talking about jobs. I remember some of the jobs that I had when I was younger. They were transitional jobs that prepared me for my next job. They were good for a season, then it was time to move on to the next challenge. I have now been employed by a large aerospace company based in Seattle for 21 years. I work with fantastic, dedicated, fun people as part of a team providing retrofit solutions for our commercial airline customers. I am not getting rich, but I love my job and I am able to provide for my family. Life is good.

Yes, your current job situations stink. But you are now completely available for that next opportunity that may present itself sooner than you expect. So be watchful and ready. Better days are coming

Gary

BodMaster
12-03-2011, 07:30 AM
Thanks Gary, makes you look at it from a different perspective. Thats exactly what I am hoping to get from this its not going to be easy but im going to try, or die trying ;)

Its been a while buddy, hoping you and your family are great and hows the little one doin? All good I hope :)

I had posted my response to Bod in the morning while I was warming up my car for the drive to work. Ironically, about 9.5 hours later, after a busy day working my rear off and after having customers and co-workers alike tell me that I am very good at my job, my supervisor walked in, handed me a check and said I was terminated. Apparently it was against my companies non-written policies to use the sick / emergency / Vacation time I was given for family emergencies I had earlier in the year, then the bad luck of having my car break down, two days before and getting to work a half hour late due to the co-worker that picked me up that day sleeping through his alarm. Cruel fate I guess. Now, I too am facing an uncertain future with only enough money to survive for a month. I instantly started applying for jobs though, so hopefully something will work out.

Sorry to hear this Growwle,

That is pretty messed up since it seemed you were content in that job, finding your feet so to speak. Thats a real shame buddy, but glad you are getting yourself out there already. Good luck :)