PDA

View Full Version : Professions

darrensmith016
04-15-2010, 03:36 PM
Im not sure if its been addressed yet, im sure it has and am sorry for repeating it, but professions make an RPG and RPG, get the miteials make stuff sell stuff, etc etc, this could be incorarated into the current maps without to many problems I would have thought (pardon my inoscents) but you guys have done an amazing job, it seems like you could aculay do anything..

If professions are done correctly it will untilize the aution house, it will make players play lower level maps to get things they require or it will help lower level players as they can sell in the aution house, the game would be epic!

Sorry again to address WoW, with there professions:

Primary Professions

Alchemy guide
Blacksmithing guide (Could be used to make weapons)
Enchanting guide (Could be used to enchant weapons, or de-enchant)
Engineering guide (Could be used to make bombs, traps, even in the future fix bit in quests)
Inscription guide
Jewelcrafting guide
Leatherworking
Tailoring guide

Gathering Professions

Herbalism guide (Could be used to make buffs for boss quests)
Mining guide (On certain lvls could make it possible to mine certain areas)
Skinning guide

Secondary Professions

Fishing
Cooking
Lockpicking (certain quests could be locked so this profession would be needed to advance)
First Aid (not every quest has a healer, and some you spend loads of potions, this would be great)

I have made notes on ones that would be really cool if they were added. I know its not an over night job to make it possible, just a couple suggestions really.

thanks!

KronicDecay
04-15-2010, 03:55 PM
God no.. Please no fishing lol

darrensmith016
04-15-2010, 04:04 PM
God no.. Please no fishing lol

i sure ive read somewhere in this forum future updates will have water.. it be a waste without fishing lol

Flamin
04-15-2010, 05:21 PM
You read the idea of this In my thread

Banned
04-15-2010, 05:29 PM
Ehhhhhh, I really was hoping no one would bring professions up. I just can't find that type of stuff fun. Make everything seem like a chore. But I'm just one person so if others think it's a awesome idea I say go with it!

darrensmith016
04-16-2010, 04:24 AM
Ehhhhhh, I really was hoping no one would bring professions up. I just can't find that type of stuff fun. Make everything seem like a chore. But I'm just one person so if others think it's a awesome idea I say go with it!

I feel it makes more of the world given to us by spacetime, just more to do apart from aimless killing

setec
04-16-2010, 04:50 AM
I love the aimless killing! :) LOL. I was just telling a friend how nice it was to not have to work (i.e. quests in WoW) and just play this game for 5 minutes at a time or hours at a time. Although I will love whatever SS adds to the game. Awesome start.

Banned
04-16-2010, 06:48 AM
Maybe some quests could solve the problem of "aimless killing".

Reisclef
04-16-2010, 07:07 AM
Really? Quests to me seem like they're mostly "Kill xx of these" which the dungeons are anyway....

Professions might be nice, but possibly might be a bit overwhelming.

Dizko
04-16-2010, 07:17 AM
Quests could include things like "Go to Gobi and tell him he owes me 5g for the drink last night".

Doesn't have to be killing.

Where's the love y'all?

darrensmith016
04-16-2010, 07:20 AM
it will be really good, if we could do quest chains..

SMELTN
04-16-2010, 09:55 AM
IMO I do not think we need professions in PL. This game is not meant to be a game you play 12 hours a day. Honestly this game is meant to be a play it on the go, do a couple of dungeon levels and stop, and with the current battery life being drained pretty quickly while playing this game, I think you will just cause more people to kill batteries and complain that this game causes those issues.

darrensmith016
04-16-2010, 11:15 AM
IMO I do not think we need professions in PL. This game is not meant to be a game you play 12 hours a day. Honestly this game is meant to be a play it on the go, do a couple of dungeon levels and stop, and with the current battery life being drained pretty quickly while playing this game, I think you will just cause more people to kill batteries and complain that this game causes those issues.

its a mmorpg, if spacetime studios want pocket legends to be known it has to stand out. i think they are doing a perfect job and with all the future updates they have planned this game could be epic

Xervitude
04-16-2010, 11:52 AM

I dont see any harm in trying to find a balance trying to cover the needs of both the hardcore gamer and the casual gamer.

Astrauk
04-16-2010, 02:01 PM
I don't think they should add professions, definitely quests but adding professions and other stuff kind of defeats the purpose of this being a casual game. I think the happy medium between both is quests and mindless killing.

SMELTN
04-16-2010, 02:17 PM
I don't think they should add professions, definitely quests but adding professions and other stuff kind of defeats the purpose of this being a casual game. I think the happy medium between both is quests and mindless killing.

+1 Completely agree

Dizko
04-16-2010, 02:17 PM

The game will have to cater to casual AND hardcore gamers. Thats just a fact.

All of these features is what will attract the hardcore (and more paying) fans,

And what will bring the casual players back is the 'Quickplay' button.

SMELTN
04-16-2010, 02:19 PM
The game doesn't have to cater to anything. Its a "pocket" game. A mini version of an MMO

Dizko
04-16-2010, 02:34 PM
The game doesn't have to cater to anything. Its a "pocket" game. A mini version of an MMO

Anything that needs money to survive will have to cater.

Banned
04-16-2010, 02:40 PM
I consider myself to be a hardcore PL player and I find professions to be a horrid idea. If I wanted a job I would go apply at K-Mart.

Buvet
04-16-2010, 02:45 PM
I think that people who play ipod games are more casual anyways. If someone's hardcore, they're more likely to spend their time on a full mmorpg, not a pocket version. I guess I just don't really see the point of professions, other than maybe first aid and some of the crafters. One of the issues is is that if professions were introduced, the developers would have to rework all the current maps so that there are herbs or whatever to interact with. Someone mentioned that there will be water in the future, and that because of that there must be fishing... I live in the woods, but just because there are trees doesn't make me a lumberjack haha. Even in the game world, just having water is cool, whether you swim in it or not. I don't think that professionals will make this game much better in a marketable sense, the simplicity is what's selling right now; I mean, that's what the ipod and ipad are based on: simplicity.

I say nay.

EDIT: Banned, that comment FTW---^

btutterrow
04-16-2010, 03:28 PM
From previous post:
"I agree about crafting being a big time sink, and huge implementation, for a game that should maintain a fun and casual feel.

How about the ability in town to merge two existing items (two weapons, two swords, etc) and some gold for a chance to get an upgraded version? That way they wouldn't need to add craft-able items, the system is almost already in place, and it becomes a way to make use of extra equipment you gain already.

Not that I thought this through much, but... =)"

sephirium
04-16-2010, 03:46 PM
Myself I think that professions would be a great thing, I would love to make and customize armor and weapons to sell to others to use. Maybe a use for professions could be to implement a mini game for the said profession like for alchemy you could have your ingridoenys and flasks along with a morter and such. This of course would be a drag and click type deal.

For mining you could go to a cave and find the ore and have to tap certain points in a specified order. for tailoring you would have to drag your finger in a certain direction as tho you were cutting marerial.

Flamin
04-16-2010, 05:13 PM
im sure ive read somewhere in this forum, future updates will have water.. it be a waste without fishing, lol

ya that was in the ancient swamps level pack (level 30-35). And there should be fishing and there should be proffesions, so that the game will be more like a real mmorpg game (a game that is almost literally impossible to beat, or takes like 10 years to beat). Because if its more ideas and content added to make the game have more content and more features, then it is good. from stuff to do when bored like fishing to stuff to do thats fun like quests, crafting, exploring and killing etc... (content is stuff to do, more complexity and more stuff and more ideas implemented and more items etc...) If its adding features to then game then its good, whether its boring or fun as long as its just stuff to do or content or etc...

Flamin
04-16-2010, 06:34 PM
Im not sure if its been addressed yet, im sure it has and am sorry for repeating it, but professions make an RPG and RPG, get the miteials make stuff sell stuff, etc etc, this could be incorarated into the current maps without to many problems I would have thought (pardon my inoscents) but you guys have done an amazing job, it seems like you could aculay do anything..

If professions are done correctly it will untilize the aution house, it will make players play lower level maps to get things they require or it will help lower level players as they can sell in the aution house, the game would be epic!

Sorry again to address WoW, with there professions:

Primary Professions

Alchemy guide
Blacksmithing guide (Could be used to make weapons)
Enchanting guide (Could be used to enchant weapons, or de-enchant)
Engineering guide (Could be used to make bombs, traps, even in the future fix bit in quests)
Inscription guide
Jewelcrafting guide
Leatherworking
Tailoring guide

Gathering Professions

Herbalism guide (Could be used to make buffs for boss quests)
Mining guide (On certain lvls could make it possible to mine certain areas)
Skinning guide

Secondary Professions

Fishing
Cooking
Lockpicking (certain quests could be locked so this profession would be needed to advance)
First Aid (not every quest has a healer, and some you spend loads of potions, this would be great)

I have made notes on ones that would be really cool if they were added. I know its not an over night job to make it possible, just a couple suggestions really.

thanks!

I agree with this, and these are good ideas.

darrensmith016
04-16-2010, 06:39 PM
thanks, maybe asking for a lot..

Buvet
04-16-2010, 06:50 PM
ya that was in the ancient swamps level pack (level 30-35). And there should be fishing and there should be proffesions, so that the game will be more like a real mmorpg game (a game that is almost literally impossible to beat, or takes like 10 years to beat). Because if its more ideas and content added to make the game have more content and more features, then it is good. from stuff to do when bored like fishing to stuff to do thats fun like quests, crafting, exploring and killing etc... (content is stuff to do, more complexity and more stuff and more ideas implemented and more items etc...) If its adding features to then game then its good, whether its boring or fun as long as its just stuff to do or content or etc...

I'm pretty sure PL is a "real" MMO. I don't think unbeatability is what makes a game good, it's how playable it is, which, I must say, PL is very much so. Just because other MMOs have professions doesn't mean that PL should.

Flamin
04-16-2010, 08:16 PM
From previous post:
"I agree about crafting being a big time sink, and huge implementation, for a game that should maintain a fun and casual feel.

How about the ability in town to merge two existing items (two weapons, two swords, etc) and some gold for a chance to get an upgraded version? the system is almost already in place, and it becomes a way to make use of extra equipment you gain already.

Not that I thought this through much, but... =)"

I agree I would like to see these features and also all the other ideas implemented into the game.

stefanko
11-15-2010, 02:42 PM
Kind of shocked at the negative replies to the profession/crafting ideas....

I think it's the large-scale implementation that is getting to people though. I don't think a system of professions like seen in other mmo's is necessarily the right approach for a mobile one. Something like what was mentioned about combining things for an upgrade is an awesome solution to this though. Monsters can also drop certain materials that can be combined for a chance at an item. The people that negate this immediately are clearly not seeing the benefits of even the most casual of casual gamer in the community. A simple crafting implementation would add a lot of dimension. And people can say that mindless killing is why their here and all they want, But Ive read plenty of posts from level 50s getting bored on here, some more variety to the monotony cant be considered a bad thing.

Frankly though, I'm shocked that the idea of a crafting system gets bumped for things like vanity items. Theres a reason why it's a successful part of all the other mmo's. And the "pocket" argument is weak. Eventually the mindless killing does get old, community and economy both need to continually develop, and right now with mindless killing the only thing people care about, youre limiting and placing a huge bottleneck on what pocket legends can potentially be. Just my two cents...