PDA

View Full Version : Needz your opinionz.

LIGHTNINGLORD67
12-07-2011, 06:58 PM
A little earlier today I was bored and started to think randomly about random things, so I came across the topic of majority wins. I don't think majority should ALWAYS win.

For example, let's say I say something in a quote and everyone wants to put it in their sig quoting me, but it actually wasn't me, it was another person with a similar username as me (it's only an example its not true lol), and later on that person deletes that post.

So those people that sigged the other me tell ME that "Oh I can't believe you said this!" etc etc etc, but I start to tell them it wasn't me. So the argument continues eventually until someone decides to investigate to see if I said that quote or not.

They find out it wasn't me and it was the other me, but everyone who sigged the other me continues to assume that it was me who said that quote. Would it be possible for the majority to STILL win if this was brought as a court case in California?

Answers appreciated^^!

Cascade
12-07-2011, 07:05 PM
Sometimes the majority is wrong. Some people side with the majority simply because it is the majority.

LIGHTNINGLORD67
12-07-2011, 07:16 PM
Sometimes the majority is wrong. Some people side with the majority simply because it is the majority.

That is very true unfortunately /: some people really need to understand that lol, and just siding with the majority for that reason is wrong.

Ayc2000
12-07-2011, 07:22 PM
I think after a few people side with someone, its like the domino effect. People will not base it on truth, they'll just go with what they think isthe winning side. But in a court case, I don't think the majority will count. I'ts up to the jury and evidence, which as you stated, proved it was not you.

Off topic, david, are you on pl?

StompArtist
12-07-2011, 07:24 PM
An harsh statement but food for further thinking: The majority voted Adolph Hitler in power according to the democratic process in Germany at the time. :(

LIGHTNINGLORD67
12-07-2011, 08:07 PM
I think after a few people side with someone, its like the domino effect. People will not base it on truth, they'll just go with what they think isthe winning side. But in a court case, I don't think the majority will count. I'ts up to the jury and evidence, which as you stated, proved it was not you.

Off topic, david, are you on pl?

I completely agree on what people will choose as the winning side, it's horrific :/ and also court cases use majority from the jury most of the time, don't they?

Yeah I'm on PL I even sent you a friend request lol

An harsh statement but food for further thinking: The majority voted Adolph Hitler in power according to the democratic process in Germany at the time. :(

I don't know much about Hitler being voted in democracy, but I can just say that voting for him was a 100% completely unnecessary thing to do. *Sigh*

Ayc2000
12-07-2011, 08:11 PM
I completely agree on what people will choose as the winning side, it's horrific :/ and also court cases use majority from the jury most of the time, don't they?

Yeah I'm on PL I even sent you a friend request lol

I don't see it :/ you added enikazie right?

LIGHTNINGLORD67
12-07-2011, 08:13 PM
I don't see it :/ you added enikazie right?

Nope. I typed in "Ayc2000" and it said friend request sent to Ayc. (Without the 2000)

StompArtist
12-07-2011, 10:38 PM
I don't know much about Hitler being voted in democracy, but I can just say that voting for him was a 100% completely unnecessary thing to do. *Sigh*

For sure. Majority doesn't make a choice ethically or morally right.

Pharcyde
12-07-2011, 11:44 PM
winning majority is winning.

But not always right -- Herman Cain <.<

LIGHTNINGLORD67
12-08-2011, 11:40 PM
Hehe now I can refer to this thread everytime I'm in a debate involving this exact topic :p

KingFu
12-09-2011, 01:39 AM
For example, let's say I say something in a quote and everyone wants to put it in their sig quoting me, but it actually wasn't me, it was another person with a similar username as me (it's only an example its not true lol), and later on that person deletes that post.

So those people that sigged the other me tell ME that "Oh I can't believe you said this!" etc etc etc, but I start to tell them it wasn't me. So the argument continues eventually until someone decides to investigate to see if I said that quote or not.

They find out it wasn't me and it was the other me, but everyone who sigged the other me continues to assume that it was me who said that quote. Would it be possible for the majority to STILL win if this was brought as a court case in California?

You have an active imagination O.o

LIGHTNINGLORD67
12-09-2011, 09:19 AM
You have an active imagination O.o

Lol thank you sir.

Bronxman2012
12-09-2011, 10:39 AM
History has shown us that many times, the majority is not right. In fact, if you look at most historical breakthroughs, the root usually stems from the fact that the minority wishes to challenge the majority.

LIGHTNINGLORD67
12-09-2011, 06:14 PM
History has shown us that many times, the majority is not right. In fact, if you look at most historical breakthroughs, the root usually stems from the fact that the minority wishes to challenge the majority.

THAT IS SO TRUE. And just a little FYI to everyone I'm part of the minority that challenges the majority :p if the majority is wrong tho lol