PDA

View Full Version : All who want to be in aoa

Onaraasider
12-12-2011, 06:31 PM
Our amazing tech guy of aoa,Danielrh,is working on an application site.there you will be able to apply for aoa and receive our votes if you are liked.The site is still in Beta so expect it in maybe a month(Dan's gotta have a holiday break too).So now that you know this,please don't make anymore threads about being in aoa.the site when ready will most likely be merged to the forums site and you can apply from here.Don't ask for anymore details, i can't tell you anymore.

Onaraasider
12-12-2011, 06:43 PM
no1 seen it?

LuvMmorpg
12-12-2011, 06:52 PM
Oh, I never knew about this. When will it be up?

Onaraasider
12-12-2011, 06:57 PM
Oh, I never knew about this. When will it be up?about a month

Onaraasider
12-12-2011, 07:21 PM
remember this was all dan's work with the site,so remember to thank him

Lowlyspy
12-12-2011, 07:23 PM
Um, correct me if im wrong, but wasn't this one of those details that weren't supposed to leave our private forum yet?

Onaraasider
12-12-2011, 07:26 PM
Um, correct me if im wrong, but wasn't this one of those details that weren't supposed to leave our private forum yet?what detail,i always mess stuff up *sigh*

StompArtist
12-12-2011, 07:30 PM
Um, correct me if im wrong, but wasn't this one of those details that weren't supposed to leave our private forum yet?

LMAO If only we could still sig quotes.

Onaraasider
12-12-2011, 07:32 PM

LMAO If only we could still sig quotes.ummm...lowly nothing is said about that in private forums and stomp,not funny.

Piosidon
12-12-2011, 07:32 PM
We'll just pretend we never saw this
*walks off whistling*

Onaraasider
12-12-2011, 07:34 PM
its not like a put the sight on here

Zeus
12-12-2011, 07:39 PM
ummm...lowly nothing is said about that in private forums and stomp,not funny.

When you first joined, did you read the rules/guidelines? It says there never to discuss things said in that forums. It's all good, everybody makes mistakes, just try to put the enthusiasm into the game itself, that way it benefits others. :)

Lowlyspy
12-12-2011, 07:41 PM
Lol sorry ona, I just wasn't sure if pandar wanted this info out yet. I guess if nothing was said about it then its ok, just keep the deets very vague and don't give out the link.

Sassinya
12-12-2011, 07:50 PM
And so do we get to vote on what the site contains as well? Or just stop making threads and leave it to him?
We need to ALL have input hence so many threads!
My suggestion still is committees for this stuff. The application committee could put sample questions to a thread for AoA voting. Everyone's got to stop trying to go it alone, team work people!

StompArtist
12-12-2011, 07:52 PM
Mmmmm... Should'nt you all be having this convo in the privete threads?

Lowlyspy
12-12-2011, 07:52 PM
And so do we get to vote on what the site contains as well? Or just stop making threads and leave it to him?
My suggestion still is committees for this stuff. The application committee could put sample questions to a thread for AoA voting. Everyone's got to stop trying to go it alone, team work people!
Thats what we're doing, danny is just handling the technical side of things, I mean have you seen his stat calculator?? The man is a wizard with technology!

Onaraasider
12-12-2011, 07:55 PM
sorry for confusion, i just wanted to let them know that it was coming(sorta like devs do for events)

Onaraasider
12-12-2011, 07:56 PM
My suggestion still is committees for this stuff. The application committee could put sample questions to a thread for AoA voting. Everyone's got to stop trying to go it alone, team work people!who is him?

Appleisaac
12-12-2011, 08:15 PM
Thank u

WoundedEagle
12-12-2011, 08:20 PM
Give him a break. His post was helpful and informative. He was only trying to help and it's not like he quoted anything in oh private forums. If he should be frowned upon for that, some people should be hammered off the forum. Cut 'em some slack. Lol

noobmigo
12-12-2011, 08:24 PM
Woah....
YOU CANT QUOTE SIG POSTS ANYMORE?

And this is interesting.
Not sure why you should have applicants...apply though. There'd be at least hundreds to go through.

Not in AoA, but just a suggestion: you guys should have a "council meeting" every so, to nominate people for AoA. Pretty sure applicants will get a little hard to handle, maybe a little "WELL YOUR LOSS....NOOBS!"

Fao
12-12-2011, 08:28 PM
So if we are voted in, then how will u let us know? And also, what will your votes be based on? Just a couple of questions that you could answer an think about. I will probably download and apply as soon as I get it! And one more question, can you apply more than once?( like over a period of time like 1 or 2 months)

Onaraasider
12-12-2011, 08:30 PM
Thnx wound,next time I will ask you guys first,ok

StompArtist
12-12-2011, 08:33 PM
lol Seems like a funny but really no big deal kind of thing to me...

FluffNStuff
12-12-2011, 08:41 PM
If this is supported by sts, you should have it hosted on their site. There is just too much info a website can find out about a user. Also, make sure your app requires NO personal information except a statement that the applicant is at least the minimum age.

zeusabe
12-12-2011, 09:17 PM
For a group that's relying on virtues as its core, an application process is really an absurd idea. There is no way to measure a virtue, I challenge anyone who will say they could. First, you will have no way to know the "real" motive of the do-er so that alone puts you in a dead end, anyone can be nice if they know people are watching (easier to do if they only play a limited time in-game). So what will be the barometer for "passing" this application then? Gut feel? If that it the case, then the "application process" is defeated because by nature applications are conducted to filter best people, things, and events based on identified finite criteria such as work experience (number of years), post-educational degrees (MBA, PHD, etc), age, etc. Gut feel is and was "NEVER" part of any application process (work,job,visa,citizenship,etc.), give me one general application process you know that involves people using gut feel or indistinct judgements such as "liking" as basis in an absolute manner and I will gladly concede. What am I saying? You had it correct already when you said you selected based on this and that, the key word is "selected", that puts prestige and value to membership to this exclusive group (and selection paves way for using personal judgement). You can use all the calculations and technology you want, but if you will adapt an application process and use indistinct and vague criteria, it will never fly, in fact, it will be questioned further as time goes by. It will just be a bunch of people parading as "formal" but inside, it's not different than a groupie, only difference, ambassador actually sounds cool. So here is my suggestion, drop the application process, it's useless and not applicable you will only find ridicule and criticisms as you go on especially when people start to get "rejected" on your application process and question the foundation. Stick with your selection process but be more "open" and explain. You can start by saying how many ambassadors are there, like in a house of representatives, you need a majority of 50% + 1, which means if you have 10 members total, 6 votes for pro and 4 for negative, a bill passes, but assuming 6 votes abstain, 3 for pro and 1 for negative, it's a null because 50% + 1 is applied to the collective 10, something like that, explain how things get approved inside, who votes who...it's much more acceptable to use virtues and personal judgement in a selection process because you're not requiring anything from people. Anyway, that's my opinion if you find this offensive, well, apologies in advance. Thanks.

Appleisaac
12-12-2011, 10:14 PM
For a group that's relying on virtues as its core, an application process is really an absurd idea. There is no way to measure a virtue, I challenge anyone who will say they could. First, you will have no way to know the "real" motive of the do-er so that alone puts you in a dead end, anyone can be nice if they know people are watching (easier to do if they only play a limited time in-game). So what will be the barometer for "passing" this application then? Gut feel? If that it the case, then the "application process" is defeated because by nature applications are conducted to filter best people, things, and events based on identified finite criteria such as work experience (number of years), post-educational degrees (MBA, PHD, etc), age, etc. Gut feel is and was "NEVER" part of any application process (work,job,visa,citizenship,etc.), give me one general application process you know that involves people using gut feel or indistinct judgements such as "liking" as basis in an absolute manner and I will gladly concede. What am I saying? You had it correct already when you said you selected based on this and that, the key word is "selected", that puts prestige and value to membership to this exclusive group (and selection paves way for using personal judgement). You can use all the calculations and technology you want, but if you will adapt an application process and use indistinct and vague criteria, it will never fly, in fact, it will be questioned further as time goes by. It will just be a bunch of people parading as "formal" but inside, it's not different than a groupie, only difference, ambassador actually sounds cool. So here is my suggestion, drop the application process, it's useless and not applicable you will only find ridicule and criticisms as you go on especially when people start to get "rejected" on your application process and question the foundation. Stick with your selection process but be more "open" and explain. You can start by saying how many ambassadors are there, like in a house of representatives, you need a majority of 50% + 1, which means if you have 10 members total, 6 votes for pro and 4 for negative, a bill passes, but assuming 6 votes abstain, 3 for pro and 1 for negative, it's a null because 50% + 1 is applied to the collective 10, something like that, explain how things get approved inside, who votes who...it's much more acceptable to use virtues and personal judgement in a selection process because you're not requiring anything from people. Anyway, that's my opinion if you find this offensive, well, apologies in advance. Thanks.

The forst few lines had some very good points (I got dizzy after that lol)

Ok yeah I just read the rest... He is really right. AoA won't mean anything if it's just an application, but I think that no one would base their decision on the application alone. I think that after you submit an application that you will probably be watched or at least be monitored on chat.

FluffNStuff
12-12-2011, 10:20 PM
Zeusabe brings up a good point. As soon as someones application is rejected, the credibility of the Ambassador program will be shot to hell. The original post said the first batch of ambassadors will come up with a process for new players to join, it did not say they will select who can join. If players really are going to vote on who to let in, then that is utterly insane.

MoarPewPew
12-12-2011, 10:26 PM
<--- I have seen the AoA Manuel. (Though I'm not an AOA) :pig:

NECROREAPER
12-12-2011, 10:48 PM
Let's just say that we don't have choice on who gets in. I don't want to say anymore before I divulge too much. Honestly, don't worry about the selection process; if you're busy worrying about getting selected you're probably spending less time helping out the community or having fun.

Like I've said in every other AoA thread, dont look for it, it will come to you. STS chooses those who they think are ready along with some insight from us, but ultimately the decision is up to STS and the devs involved with AoA.

Aikiebo
12-13-2011, 12:54 AM
An application seems to me to be the best way to begin the process of picking new AoAs. First, people need to declare their interest in the postion.

Second, in most major areas of life applications and "gut instinct" plays a huge, huge role.

1. Almost all grades levels in school, especially high school and college - admissions, scholarships and to some extent even determining grades.

2. Getting hired, promoted, salary and bonuses.

3. Many other areas also.

All three of the above areas it is good to see what someone can accomplish when they try to "put their best foot forward".

Also, in this game, almost the only way that someone can help a new player is by using written communication. How are you going to help someone other than by typing something into the chat box? So, an application would not be the only thing that is used to choose AoAs, but it's a good starting point.

There is no reason to fret over "how" to get selected. As others have said, spend time helping others, having fun and BEING NICE.

Onaraasider
12-13-2011, 01:15 AM
An application seems to me to be the best way to begin the process of picking new AoAs. First, people need to declare their interest in the postion.

Second, in most major areas of life applications and "gut instinct" plays a huge, huge role.

1. Almost all grades levels in school, especially high school and college - admissions, scholarships and to some extent even determining grades.

All three of the above areas it is good to see what someone can accomplish when they try to "put their best foot forward".

Also, in this game, almost the only way that someone can help a new player is by using written communication. How are you going to help someone other than by typing something into the chat box? So, an application would not be the only thing that is used to choose AoAs, but it's a good starting point.

There is no reason to fret over "how" to get selected. As others have said, spend time helping others, having fun and BEING NICE.what does this have to do with it?

zeusabe
12-13-2011, 04:06 AM

There is no reason to fret over "how" to get selected. As others have said, spend time helping others, having fun and BEING NICE.

1. Are you just provoking because you totally don't make any sense. How in the world does "gut feel" involve in an academic grading system where it is very clear that numeric or alphanumeric system is used. Suggesting politics in the academic grading system is a whole new different topic, but, you will not find any form of reference supporting what you just said. Have you seen a report card where the "like" button is present? I didn't think so, or have you seen an entrance exam that requires the proctor to identify whether you're a good or bad boy? You'll probably the first teacher/professor to grade his students based on how nice, helpful, and patient they are, or how your instinct tell you he is really nice. I hope you're joking. Virtues are promoted in the academic scene but you will never find it in a report card (even good manners and right conduct subject has metrics - look it up in the internet it's all there).

2. I'm not sure how to react to this but getting hired doesn't require gut feel at all, I'll give you a tip, go to a job search website and see for yourself the finite criteria that require an applicant XD Promotion is based on finite criteria what are you talking about, are you telling me you get promoted because you're nicer than the other guy? or you're more helpful than the other guy? I mean, do you see that in promotion recommendation by a boss that this guy got promoted because he was just patient and nice LOL, I mean they are compliments like icing on a cake but they're not the metrics XD Though how I wish it was like that LOL XD.

3. What areas? provide just one legit application process that requires gut feel as an absolute and I'll step aside.

I agree to this paragraph if we're talking about a generic "guild", however, and as many of the current members has been posting, AoA is handpicked and is bestowed similar to how Noble Peace Prize Award is awarded, your heroes, and/or saints, they have similar foundations in a sense that they represent the "good" within a society. Psychology 101 states that you can never claim yourself as "good" otherwise you are not, that is simply called "gloating", you let other people pick you. The only way to recognize a virtue or a "good" is to let other people recognize it and not "you" claim it by subjective and polluted motives (yes, like said, anyone can be nice if people are watching). Not to mention, in an application process, there are always those who are not accepted, again, the core concept of AoA will not hold its candle against detractors in the long run if this kind of process pursues. They will question the same thing I'm pointing out now. They will be challenged greatly by future players who are far more of a critic than I, which is not good because AoA represents PL indirectly, and any developer probably knows that one of the major indicator that a server is matured (therefore almost dead) First: Server overpopulation caused either by 3rd party clients aka bots or simply the company cannot sustain its population growth so *poof*, Second: legitimate complaints from players which will lead to things like hacking for sabotage or hacking to reproduce private servers, botting, negative PR, etc., this actually is like digging your own grave in the future. May not sound like it, but it will all back fire someday, I can just see people calling AoA a farce and who sanctioned AoA? that's right PL devs, you're looking at a virtual uprising which isn't really uncommon. In the future if they do this application process, unless they openly admit that virtues aren't their criteria rather finite criteria such as K/D ratio, longevity in game, number of characters, etc., I assure you, AoA program will crumble like a sand castle, that easy, that quick.

Does it matter if I fret or not? I already addressed that "being nice" criteria unless you want me to re-post my post about that...XD Anyway, thanks.

Redbridge
12-13-2011, 04:23 AM
Give him a break. His post was helpful and informative. He was only trying to help and it's not like he quoted anything in oh private forums. If he should be frowned upon for that, some people should be hammered off the forum. Cut 'em some slack. Lol

Nobody's being nasty, but I think it would have been a good idea to at least discuss in private first to work out what the exact plan is to ensure everyone is singing from the same song sheet.

Bags of enthusiasm, WITH, direction is always better than without.

As already said above, wouldnt it be best to move this discussion elsewhere as its not fair on ONA. No harm has been done but I think the AoA group need to maybe consider appointing a few roles/teams, maybe Communications, Admin, Technology, etc to facilitate an organised approach to this sort of stuff.... Only a thought.

EDIT: Re: the application process, all the AoA are, with STS, trying acheieve is to facilitate a fair way of highlighting suitable & willing candidates but will have NO final choice, that will always be down to STS.

2nd EDIT: I'm not sure everyone fully understands what AoA is actual about? Everyone needs to redirect people who THINK they know what the AoA programme is, to the orginal thread by Pandar (the STS employee responsible for overseeing the AoA programme) which can be found at - http://www.spacetimestudios.com/showthread.php?39898-Ambassadors-of-Alterra-First-Draft-Of-Constitution&highlight=Ambassador . It is vital that people don't try to make this programme into something it's not, to avoid confusing posts like zeusabe's above which clearly isn't what the programme is about. But, to be fair to zeusabe, that view has come from somewhere. If everyone isnt clear then the childish and infactual threads that have tarnished the GoA programme will do the same to the AoA programme.

It's very clear and transparent from Pandar's thread what the AoA programme is about. Anything else is just opinion and needs referring back to Pandar's thread.

Appleisaac
12-13-2011, 06:45 AM
I think there really isn't anything left to discuss here.

Arterra
12-13-2011, 07:03 AM
ummm...lowly nothing is said about that in private forums and stomp,not funny.

it WAS pretty funny xD this doesnt look like some sort of game-changing sneak peek.

interesting...there seems to be multiple secret forums... have to say you AoA seems waaaay more organized (and have more control) than the other groups. nice!

Jalal Khan
01-01-2012, 07:40 PM
Hi I wanna join ur guild really bad
I have 12 characters and I wanna b in different guilds so I can have multiple experiences so I hope to b in guild and bye

Artentreri
01-01-2012, 08:33 PM
Zeus man chill, we're humans, and humans have emotions, or gut feelings, and no matter what anybody says that plays a huge part in the decisions we make. Maybe I'm just crazy and don't know what I'm talking about, but I think using a little more of those emotions would help.