PDA

View Full Version : Simple game design question...

Xaphan Fox
12-17-2011, 09:46 AM
In the pvp section there is a locked thread about gambling in pvp.

Thade comes on at the end and says, "There will be no gambling in Star Legends."

Then the thread gets locked.

I completely agree that gambling should not exist in this game, but:

Buying the cat pack hoping for a rare chainman meow...
Buying the new holiday pack for the rare reindeer pet...

...is this not a form of gambling?

I am sure there are other IAP/game design quirks that could also be considered putting up money on an event governed by chance.

Gambling is the wagering of money or something of material value on an event with an uncertain outcome with the primary intent of winning additional money and/or material goods.

I fail to see how giving money to STS and what I gain being *chance* is not gambling.

Would love the communities opinion on this.

Testament
Sparkling Pwnies

MightyMicah
12-17-2011, 10:05 AM
Nice. Good call. I like it!

Lazaras
12-17-2011, 10:23 AM
I personally think the plat access area should be up for 'normal' play at some point (maybe a weekend or something) with plat simply buying a wider amount of time.

After all arn't you already buying two bits at the apple with the luck based plat buff for better item drops?

krazii
12-17-2011, 10:37 AM
Excellent point and well stated.

Corpser
12-20-2011, 05:50 AM
I think by gambling they ment no players are to gamble each other or there will be fights!

Slant
12-20-2011, 05:54 AM
in this case gambling in the game is an insecure trade, which is not allowed

and yeah miners elix and plat packs with random items are both gambling, they are not exactly fun to buy too many of for a particular item, maybe would make sense if you can buy all of them for a higher price

Kahlua
12-20-2011, 06:33 AM
Because us gambling credits won't make them any money.
But buying 15 cat packs trying to get a fire cat does.

Could easily implement a pre-fight wager system with rules that both parties agree on to avoid any trust-trades and things of that nature.