PDA

View Full Version : Bringing Sense to the Madness

Yvonnel
12-17-2011, 11:43 PM
Before reading any further, this is a supportive post for our wonderful development group. It is meant to highlight (in my prespective) recent events, and explain why I think the veteran community is being unfair and hot-headed toward STS. If you don't care for this, YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

Let's start with the opinion that the new maps since AO3 are crud and the devs aren't working hard. Really, not working hard. How many people here on the forums have a clue about programming and development? I do. I graduated with honors with degree in computer programming. Has anyone here ever done map texturing? I know a few of you that have. Not easy is it. Spent a lot of time doing custom mapping and texturing for mods for other games. Those few statements are not bragging. They are to establish that I have experience to be making the following statements. The slightest things in the world of game development can take enormous amounts of time to accomplish. Heck I know a couple of groups still working on filling in the gaps that we feel are apperant in Elder Scrolls III. Now, so the maps have all been forests and castles.....what more do you expect to see in a fantasy style game. In my honest opinion the AO Trilogy while great, does not fit in with the setting of Pocket Legends. I also concede that AO3 is the greatest of the campaigns to the majority of veteran players. I will even concede that the ones that don't think AO3 is the greatest probably think the Swamps are. Everything has one point in its existence that will outshine and define it. Just because the new maps aren't as game changing as AO3, you cannot say the devs are being slack.

Let's review the changes. Several new campaigns, Sewers, Sandstone Caves, Nuri's Hallows, Mt. Fang, and everyone seems to forget the Forest Haven remake (which was totally awesome!). They ported Pocket Legends over to the Star Legends code base. My guess on this is the coding was more stable, lean, and modifiable. They have added crafting which I hope can see some more development (allowing adding procs, single stat modifiers, etc.). They have added guilds, which might I add many of the veterans were screaming for. We finally have pets (I still want a DRAGON!!!!!!), again another thing veterans were hollaring for. But the veterans keep yelling mediocrity. Hmm, seems like an awful lot to accomplish over a relatively short period of time.

Now, lets talk about the seeming increase in cost. I can honestly say, did anyone expect to be able to spend 10 plat here and 10 plat there forever? I know I didn't. Every game studios flagship has to generate enough income to develop expansions as well as new games. If STS is going to keep their games Free-2-Play then they have to generate income by adding extras to the games. This means dungeons that we have to pay to get into, higher cost for vanity items, and more. I am actually concerned about the pay-per-instance model that they set for the Winter Festival. My concern is the future extra maps (similiar to Sandstone, Wyldwood, Frozen Nightmares, etc.) could possibly be implemented with this model. If that happens, you know what, I have to decide if I want to pay for that content. It is my responsiblity to control that, not STS's.

Alright, the devs comments as of late. Really, after how this community has raged, you expect the devs to not get a little defensive? It is their right to remove negative, abusive, and image damaging posts and threads. If I was getting that kind of feedback I would remove it too. If everyone remains civil, that doesn't happen. Everyone is commenting about the deleted posts, most that we removed were derogatory or spam posts. You do not have to repeat your opinion multiple times. People who read it will comment if they feel the same. What did it really accomplish, hmmmm? It got a person or two banned.

My opinion, the veteran community has become increasingly demanding. Every change over the last 6-8 months has degraded to veterans rage quitting, trolling, flaming the devs, etc. Please, GROW UP! I understand that you guys feel that you were instrumental in the development of Pocket Legends, and you were! I applaud and commend you for it, I really do. However, that does not entitle you to think that things should be your way or no way. Human nature is to abhore change. Everyone does. However, evolution is natural. Your status as a veteran does not give you the right to call out the developers, insult them, or demand that they change things. As far as I am concerned, they have the right to charge us for everything, It Is Their Property! Your choices you all know. The thing that continues to bother me is the amount of drama that you all are bringing to the forums. Do you know what you are going to accomplish by raging and spamming posts? Absolutely nothing, other than shorten your time with the community.

I have said it many times before....

It is a GAME! Only a game. Why in the world would you get so wrapped up in a game? Let me put things into prospective for you, I spent the evening taking my wife and daughter out to view Christmas lights around our community. I didn't think about Pocket Legends at all till after we got home and they went to bed. Now, that would be something to get ticked about if someone messed that up. Priorities people, life is all about priorities. Take a little advice from someone that has worked and played hard in their life. Don't let things get so intense, when it does you lose your enjoyment of things.

To those who have left. I will miss you. I cherish the time I got to spend with you all. To those still here.....

See you in Alterra!

Yvonnel

Conradin
12-17-2011, 11:47 PM
Thanks YV- i needed that, ill chill a little bit more. We should all approach this a little more kinder to our devs- Although after investing a lot in a game emotions do count. I have a big idea i already talked to some people about- ill tell ya about it aswell

Gaddy
12-17-2011, 11:52 PM
Well spoken, and while I don't agree with everything you said, no one can argue that you were being anything other than level-headed and eloquent :)

Conradin
12-17-2011, 11:56 PM
Well spoken, and while I don't agree with everything you said, no one can argue that you were being anything other than level-headed and eloquent :)

What dont you agree on?

Gaddy
12-18-2011, 12:00 AM
What dont you agree on?um.... The font? ;)

Roc
12-18-2011, 12:09 AM
Great piece here, a piece of a calm, cool, and collected thought(if only editorials in the paper were so nice ;))! Chill pills for everyone! (legal, of course!) And Happy Holidays too :)

CrimsonTider
12-18-2011, 01:14 AM
I see where you are coming from. However, when the community is told "to go elsewhere" after most of us were providing legitimate concerns, it felt like a slap in the face. I believe this is where the greatest disappointment is coming from. My opinion tho....

Excellent post.

CrimsonTider
12-18-2011, 01:15 AM
Oops!

Crunchee
12-18-2011, 01:46 AM
Hmm, this is really a well-written post ;) Totally agree with you.

Rare
12-18-2011, 09:48 AM
Excellent post.

saool
12-18-2011, 10:11 AM
Preach it! Haha my favorite post so far regarding new maps and rage, lol.

Well thought out...and like I always say (and you did as well) IT'S JUST A GAME!

Don't stress over pixels... Just enjoy it. I hate coming to forums just to find someone complaining about this or that and in game it's just as bad. Blah! honestly I'm over it. I'll just do I what I do best. NUKE, and farm...lol :D

Samhayne
12-18-2011, 10:12 AM
Thanks for taking the time to bring us your perspective.

stevieoopsie
12-18-2011, 10:34 AM
People like to focus on the negatives; the positives they take for granted. That's why most people still don't appreciate what Ronald Reagan did. :p

Samhayne
12-18-2011, 10:36 AM
People like to focus on the negatives; the positives they take for granted. That's why most people still don't appreciate what Ronald Reagan did. :p

Ok, but let's not go into political discussion, please and thanks! These are the Pocket Legends forums, after all :)

saool
12-18-2011, 10:46 AM
Old man: "There are two things people must never discuss in public (forums). Religion and politics."
Yong Lady: "Why?"
Old man: "You just don't know who you might offend."
:)

stevieoopsie
12-18-2011, 10:51 AM
Politics would lose it's purpose if left private. Old man was out of his mind.

saool
12-18-2011, 10:54 AM
Oh yeah and if the madness continues against STS about this pinks not dropping enough or the maps being recycled... I'm going to do a Crocker theme YouTube video called "Leave STS alone!"

jkjk

But seriously...give them a break...

Much love

And remember keep it P.L.U.R.
PEACE LOVE UNITY and RESPECT

saool
12-18-2011, 11:01 AM
Yeah but for the sake of forums politics is unnecessary lol...well at least irl politics hehe

stevieoopsie
12-18-2011, 11:05 AM
I did not discuss politics; I used an analogy. I agree politics is unnecessary for forum, but I do not think that you have to try so hard to avoid it that not trying is to be considered offensive. Give people some benefit of doubt.

saool
12-18-2011, 11:29 AM
Honestly politics are well something i never speak of. As for your analogy I totally understand. I was just saying it to back up what Sam there said lol don't get defensive just thought it's what he meant when he quoted you.

Samhayne
12-18-2011, 11:37 AM
I did not discuss politics; I used an analogy. I agree politics is unnecessary for forum, but I do not think that you have to try so hard to avoid it that not trying is to be considered offensive. Give people some benefit of doubt.

Sorry Stevie, I didn't mean for my reply to be such a rebuke. It's just that you used a political analogy. Perhaps you could have said "That's why most people don't appreciate everything the Forest Haven Sheriff does, after all" :)

Moogerfooger
12-18-2011, 11:44 AM
Yv,

Disagree with a lot of your points, and always will. But good on ya for providing an alternative perspective.

octavos
12-18-2011, 11:45 AM
We all have choices, we all make decisions. Forums are not the place to let out frustrations. Im a heavy plat spender, but that is "my choice" if I don't like what is implemented, then don't buy plat. Its a choice. I have a lv 63 toon in pl and 15 toons all 25+ in sl. Dont flame devs, but voice your opinions in a more respectable manner.

If I were to ever to disagree I would never post a thread....ever! I have more respect for developers. But please state your opinion just as others have done. With valid points of disagreement with solutions to issues. To benefit all players and developers.

Mikeylito
12-18-2011, 11:52 AM
i will have to agree with the writer of this post. At the end of the day this game is completely free, and thats the bottom line. I applaud the devs for not raging out on all the people. why is everyone upset for the two plat per run? Yes it is christmas but PL is a BUISNESS. Every buisness in the world sells stuff and makes MAJOR income on holidays. Its when you make your most money all year. how can you blame sts for this? If you domt want to play it then just dont buy it. Seriously back off the devs. Those that know me know that i almost never agrees with sts. However for this situation i have to take sts side. I can elaborate more on this but theres just no point. The only greed i see are the players EXPECTING free content from the programmers after they already gave us a completely free and awesome game.

Moogerfooger
12-18-2011, 11:57 AM
i will have to agree with the writer of this post. At the end of the day this game is completely free, and thats the bottom line. I applaud the devs for not raging out on all the people. why is everyone upset for the two plat per run? Yes it is christmas but PL is a BUISNESS. Every buisness in the world sells stuff and makes MAJOR income on holidays. Its when you make your most money all year. how can you blame sts for this? If you domt want to play it then just dont buy it. Seriously back off the devs. Those that know me know that i almost never agrees with sts. However for this situation i have to take sts side. I can elaborate more on this but theres just no point, and the only greed i see are the players wanting free content from the programmers after giving us a completely free and awesome game.

Nobody expected it for free. If people cannot understand this concept, then that is their issue. It was how it was presented, and the drama for a couple of days that ensued.

13lacklegionz
12-18-2011, 11:59 AM
i will have to agree with the writer of this post. At the end of the day this game is completely free, and thats the bottom line. I applaud the devs for not raging out on all the people. why is everyone upset for the two plat per run? Yes it is christmas but PL is a BUISNESS. Every buisness in the world sells stuff and makes MAJOR income on holidays. Its when you make your most money all year. how can you blame sts for this? If you domt want to play it then just dont buy it. Seriously back off the devs. Those that know me know that i almost never agrees with sts. However for this situation i have to take sts side. I can elaborate more on this but theres just no point. The only greed i see are the players EXPECTING free content from the programmers after they already gave us a completely free and awesome game.

People do not want free content from the WF event. They wanted it to be a one-time platinum pay, and not subscriptions. :)

CrimsonTider
12-18-2011, 12:05 PM
For those of you who have NO complaints, you are saying that NOONE has a right to make suggestions or place concerns? If that is the case, then why do we have feedback threads? Only for sunshine pumping and technical issues? Feedback is just that: feedback. Whether positive or negative. To lump everyone who has placed concerns into one group is inconclusive. There are those who have clearly been rude and those who have legitimate concetns/questions/suggestions.

Next time you go to a restaurant and get poor service or your steak is undercooked, do not complain because it was YOUR choice to enter THEIR establishment.

ZHEOTARE
12-18-2011, 12:07 PM

Ok, but let's not go into political discussion, please and thanks! These are the Pocket Legends forums, after all :)

I thought he was talking about Ronald Reagan's movies. Lol.

Yvonnel
12-18-2011, 12:09 PM
Yv,

Disagree with a lot of your points, and always will. But good on ya for providing an alternative perspective.

No worries Moog. Everyone is not going to agree. I actually waited a few days to post so that I could make sure I could properly get my standpoint across. I just felt obligated to post my opinion since it varied so much from the other veteran players.

At the end of the day, I have a lot of respect for you guys and enjoy occasionally being joined in my runs by you all.

Tapatalk'd from my EH03 SuperClean Fascinate

octavos
12-18-2011, 12:11 PM
But since its a pay-per-play the pinks that do drop should be valuable. Because many cant enter WF. but if it was a (one time purchase) many could the pinks will not be worthwhile And anyone could get them.

Look at this as a Business investment ppl :) ik I am. :p

CrimsonTider
12-18-2011, 12:15 PM
But since its a pay-per-play the pinks that do drop should be valuable. Because many cant enter WF. but if it was a (one time purchase) many could the pinks will not be worthwhile And anyone could get them.

Look at this as a Business investment ppl :) ik I am. :p

You are confusing RL money for pixel money. This proves a point many have mentioned where those who can afford to pump plat into this game will also control the market. The "how to merchant" guides become obsolete when it becomes a matter of who has the greatest availability to spend plat.

Yvonnel
12-18-2011, 12:20 PM
For those of you who have NO complaints, you are saying that NOONE has a right to make suggestions or place concerns? If that is the case, then why do we have feedback threads? Only for sunshine pumping and technical issues? Feedback is just that: feedback. Whether positive or negative. To lump everyone who has placed concerns into one group is inconclusive. There are those who have clearly been rude and those who have legitimate concetns/questions/suggestions.

Next time you go to a restaurant and get poor service or your steak is undercooked, do not complain because it was YOUR choice to enter THEIR establishment.

I agree Crim. This is where we should post our feedback. The devs wouldn't have given us a forum if they didn't want it. I think its kinda amusing that the thread has now come down to the 2 plat per instanse thing again. If anyone actually read my post, I mentioned my concern with that. My post was just to give the other side of the coin on the community concerns and statements as of late.

I like when peoples opinions differ from mine. It leads to open discussion, which when kept civil leads to evolution of new ideas.

octavos
12-18-2011, 12:27 PM
Aswell as my posts to show my point of view as others have written. All I criticised about how ppl went about given there feedback. Do it civilized. :)

My views will be favouring the developers. But this will be the last post on this subject. If I do disagree in any point ill send a PM, till then im leveling up in sl.

CrimsonTider
12-18-2011, 12:28 PM
I agree Crim. This is where we should post our feedback. The devs wouldn't have given us a forum if they didn't want it. I think its kinda amusing that the thread has now come down to the 2 plat per instanse thing again. If anyone actually read my post, I mentioned my concern with that. My post was just to give the other side of the coin on the community concerns and statements as of late.

I like when peoples opinions differ from mine. It leads to open discussion, which when kept civil leads to evolution of new ideas.

And I am glad you understand and fully read my statement as I did yours. Alot of the "negative" threads got out of hand nit because of the OP but those who came in and took issues too far. There are a few in this tbread who are doing the same: using your tbread to take the other extreme instead of fully comprehending your position and instead, calling out those who have legitimate arguments.

Thank you for a constructive response. :)

CrimsonTider
12-18-2011, 12:30 PM
OMG!! Did it again!!

Hankomachos
12-18-2011, 01:03 PM
Finally, a well spoken, constructive thread.

Way to go Yvon! :)

Yvonnel
12-18-2011, 01:23 PM
OMG!! Did it again!!

Lol!

Aikiebo
12-18-2011, 01:28 PM
What dont you agree on?um.... The font? ;)

Hahaha LOL

Pandar
12-18-2011, 09:50 PM
Hey guys, just to clear up JustG's comment, because some keep bringing it up - I wanted to post a response he made here

My quote was directed at a specific player who had been insulting, highly critical and threatened to leave on multiple occasions. It has been a heart-breaking weekend for me, and I am sorry if some of my responses have been more curt than usual.

I really do regret that we did not broadcast this change earlier, and as Sam mentioned it was our intention that it would benefit the majority of players who were not interested in farming. We really do love you guys and want you to have a wonderful holiday season.

- g

and

Of course we don't want you to leave, and we have seen all of the feedback you have given. That does not mean we are going to change our pricing model, but it does mean that we will take a very serious look at it and how things were communicated.

Discussion about things is always encouraged, and I don't want any of you to have the impression that you aren't being listened to or considered.

Deadsoldiers
12-18-2011, 09:58 PM
1. Yeah in that point pandar is right say justg sayin that 2. Pandar check your pms please 3. We will have to wait and see if something changes or not but we will need to give them some time