PDA

View Full Version : weapon choice

adis
12-18-2011, 07:03 PM
Should I use a weapon that has higher damage or higher DPS?
Hypothetic Scenario: weapon a: 90-105 damage 79 DPS
weapon b: 80-90 damage 85 DPS
which is a better weapon?

Garvhoz
12-18-2011, 07:20 PM
Well for me I dont pay attention to DPS I just go for what increases the attack. In my opinion go for higher attack

Deadsoldiers
12-18-2011, 07:57 PM
Go for the dps, because it increases your damage the attack is just the damage it does at one hit for example it does 100-110damage thats what it does in one hit damage per second (dps) is the attack and the firing rate so its the damage you do in one second hitting for example if you have a weapon doing 100dmg and a firing rate of 2.0 you do 50dps, i dont know how its made with firing rate (that was just an example) but it works somehow like that.

FluffNStuff
12-18-2011, 08:13 PM
Dps is fine for lower levels but is completely ignored later on as enemy armor is high. Consider the dagger, it states a 250 dps but agains a 60 armor enemy it is actually 100 dps.

Montanabro
12-18-2011, 08:16 PM
Wouldn't the higher damage weapon increase all the spell's damage by more?

Ellyidol
12-18-2011, 08:17 PM
The DPS value is your damage against air. If you're attacking a target with 0 armor, DPS > Base Damage. However, if you truly want to deal high damage, you'll need better base damage than DPS.

Mob fights in STS games are also quite short-lived, meaning you'll want quick bursts of damage rather than long sustained ones.

Arod8ball
12-18-2011, 08:20 PM
Depends.. sometimes you want higher base damage because it effects how strong your skills are.

Hence, shield and dagger vs Bow.

Deadsoldiers
12-18-2011, 08:39 PM
Seems like i told you the wrong thing to do just i am sorry i mostly played with lower levels and used to have high dps

Bunnyshoota
12-18-2011, 09:01 PM
I do believe higher base damage does increase skill damage. Take for example, level 30 pallys or warbirds with 2h iceberg frozen longsword. If they were both using shivering talons, their skill damage would decrease substantially, although their dps would be higher. That is also why nuke mages use staffs as opposed to wands. Higher base damage +lots of int = pure damage.

Veoveoveo
12-18-2011, 09:19 PM
Depends on what your fighting in my opinion. If against boss, go for dps. However, if you're against the normal enemies, I'd say damage because there is usually lower armor and health for those guys, compared to the boss.

CrimsonTider
12-18-2011, 09:52 PM
Short and simple: base damage > dps. Elly's explanation tells why.

And to clear up the confusion, your base damage is the main determinant for skill damage. In the OP's example, weapon a would have a greater impact on skill damage. This is why, IMO, the Sanguine Longbow is overpriced. Though it does have greater dps, the fractional increase in skill damage and significantly shorter range compared to the crossbow makes it overrated.