PDA

View Full Version : who's todays greatest rappers?

wvhills
12-19-2011, 11:42 AM
A little preface:
I'm 37 years old and listened to rap back in the early 90's. Back then we had tupac, dre, wu tang, biggie, busta, etc. I took a 20 year break from rap and listened to lots of outlaw country, alternative, blues and bluegrass. Lately I've been thinking about giving rap another try so I created a Weezy pandora station. He's okay and some of the others are ok but back in the day it seemed like that while biggie and tupac were rapping they were also creating poetry and we're talking about real life problems instead of just "pimpin' hoes" and partying. Are there any rappers like that today and who are they?

Here's to hoping some of you young G's can help this O.G. get back in the game.

WoundedEagle
12-19-2011, 11:47 AM
I like Drake's rap. It's smooth and honestly pretty good in some songs. And if you have listened to Chris Browns Freestyle, you'd love it... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDTcV8sEXKo
Oh! And Busta Rhymes is still around. Look up, if you already haven't heard, the song Look At Me Now.

-we

wvhills
12-19-2011, 11:50 AM
Thanks! I've heard of drake, I'll check him and the new busta out.
One more thing, are drake and lil wayne legit or are they posers? I don't want to listen to some rapper who talks about the streets when in reality he grew up rich or whatever. haha.

WoundedEagle
12-19-2011, 11:53 AM
Thanks! I've heard of drake, I'll check him and the new busta out.
One more thing, are drake and lil wayne legit or are they posers? I don't want to listen to some rapper who talks about the streets when in reality he grew up rich or whatever. haha.

IMO, Chris is a poser, haha. All his songs are free flow, love songs, except that nice little free style he did. I don't know about Little Wayne. His rap is clever, but not that great. Seems like a bit of a poser also. But that's just my opinion lol.

Suentous PO
12-19-2011, 04:21 PM
Indy hiphop !!! Emcee's?
Sage Francis- intelligent/political
Buck 65- dj,mc, grapher
Dozeone- the frank zapa/bjork of hiphop. Check out his stuff with"subtle"
Known for wrecking emnem in battle.
Eyedea-rip!- another "conscious" mc & blaze champ.
Lo deck- grimy NY at it's best.
Mf Doom- THE mask!
Passage/tvlovesyouback/restiform bodies- not one predictable cliche
Edan- hiphop purist yet innovative another mc/dj is rare these days
Sole & the skyriders- another live band w/great mc.
Hiphop hit a creative high in late 80's early 90, then violence started making money & messing it all up. Lot of the ones here abandoned labels, made their own music how they wanted, and in some cases started giving it away.
Sue

Silentarrow
12-19-2011, 04:30 PM
I'm a pretty big Eminem fan, unlike mpst rappers of today who sing about money and "other stuff", All of eminems songs are stories about his life and how he became a rapper.

Matutd
12-19-2011, 04:32 PM
U can still find dre around :) he's usually rapping with eminem nowadays

LwMark
12-19-2011, 04:34 PM
Wayne..boosie..gucci..jeezy..my top 4 always on the ipod! Dont listen to drake..drake = fake!

Conradin
12-19-2011, 06:26 PM
Eminem- His songs have matured a lot and are great to listen too- Be on the lookout for his new stuff. Its great.

Pharcyde
12-19-2011, 06:31 PM
Up and coming - Mac Miller, XV, Rick Ross, Meek Mill, Kendrick Lamar
Hot right now - Wiz Khalifa, Tyler the Creator, Lupe Fiasco, Lil Wayne, Kayne, Jay Z, Nikki Manaj,
Passed the mic on - Kid Cudi, Curren$y,
Making a comeback - Chris Brown

Phantasm0162
12-19-2011, 06:39 PM
Dblock styles p,jadakiss,sheek louch,mobb deep,wutang,raekwon,ghostfacekillah,methodman,nas, drake,common,tech 9yne,agallah,jdilla,tyga,reed dola$$,busta rhymes,pimp c,jayz,jay electronica,royce da 5'9,kid ink,bone thugz and harmony,tupac,biggie,old school dmx because his new stuff is *** lol any of those artist do it for me lol

Pharcyde
12-19-2011, 06:41 PM
Dblock styles p,jadakiss,sheek louch,mobb deep,wutang,raekwon,ghostfacekillah,methodman,nas, drake,common,tech 9yne,agallah,jdilla,tyga,reed dola$$,busta rhymes,pimp c,jayz,jay electronica,royce da 5'9,kid ink,bone thugz and harmony,tupac,biggie,old school dmx because his new stuff is *** lol any of those artist do it for me lol

Lol I forgot bout tech. Cottonmouth kings and 3 0h 3!! :D

MrGoober
12-19-2011, 06:42 PM
I'd say the ladies @ the mall are the best present wrappers.

Conradin
12-19-2011, 06:45 PM
Up and coming - Mac Miller, XV, Rick Ross, Meek Mill, Kendrick Lamar
Hot right now - Wiz Khalifa, Tyler the Creator, Lupe Fiasco, Lil Wayne, Kayne, Jay Z, Nikki Manaj,
Passed the mic on - Kid Cudi, Curren$y,
Making a comeback - Chris Brown

love Mac miller

Pharcyde
12-19-2011, 06:47 PM
love Mac miller

I love watching Senior Skip Day on youtube and the lyric "Eat pizza eat yougurt" and all of the commenters are like "LMFAO did he say eat yo girl?!"

Pimpslide
12-19-2011, 06:50 PM
Mmmm...
Now?

Busta Rhymes...doesn't make the greatest songs but man can he talk.
DJ Khaled makes some pretty good mixes and songs...
Eminem can't rap anymore, but he used to be OK.

I like Ludacris, T-Pain, and Fort Minor though, that's just me haha.

Phantasm0162
12-19-2011, 09:24 PM
Oooo I forgot about t.i. the uderground king :)

Nourish
12-19-2011, 09:33 PM
Techn9ne

Dalinuel
12-19-2011, 09:35 PM
Tech n9ne my homie has been throwing it down for kc for awhile now check out his early stuff..greatest non signed artist there ever is.....I'm 36 also

darkblizzardx
12-19-2011, 09:56 PM
Try hopsin

plmafiaboss
12-19-2011, 10:15 PM
Mac miller is corny. Most of the new age rappers r either fake or their words don't hit me if u know what I mean. I'm fourteen and imma be the best rapper alive soon enough lml. This not a dream. Too many people in my family wanted to b big but they just didn't go for it. I'm goun for it. And whn I get it imma tackle it and break it neck. Lol

FluffNStuff
12-19-2011, 10:17 PM
Definitely the workers at Macys.

plmafiaboss
12-19-2011, 10:19 PM
Definitely the workers at Macys.looks around. No ones watching. Clocks with a chair and walks away xD xD

Conradin
12-19-2011, 10:19 PM
Definitely the workers at Macys.

Oh my i love them! Hands down the best!

NECROREAPER
12-20-2011, 12:22 AM
Nujabes, Wax, DFD (dumbfoundead), Herbal-T, atmosphere, cunninglinguists, etc.

Dope stuff

LwMark
12-20-2011, 04:28 AM
Wayne..jeezy..gucci..iceberg..pretty much anythin frrom the south!

wvhills
12-20-2011, 08:27 AM
Thanks guys! Looks like I have a lot of listening to do! I've got a week of work starting tomorrow so you I'll be catching up on my rap and trying to get some pinks!

Artentreri
12-23-2011, 03:49 PM
Tech n9ne is so sick, you should check out his new album collabos. Listen to unfair, I love that freakin song haha.