PDA

View Full Version : Leaderboards - Soliciting Community Thoughts

Samhayne
12-20-2011, 05:58 PM
Hi everyone,

One suggestion we have been kicking around internally has been the addition of more leaderboards. This has been, in part, in response to the concern over the loss of twinks on leaderboards through the previous use of kill boosting (turning off xp and wading through lots of low level mobs to get a lot of kills). We've been thinking about the possible addition of:

Leaderboard for kills with xp turned off. We would keep track of kills made with xp turned off and have a separate leaderboard for them.

Leaderboard for kills made while not under the influence of an elixir

One problem with adding such leaderboards is that previous kills wouldn't count toward these new leaderboards.

I want to throw these ideas out there to foster some discussion about leaderboards. Please don't take this thread as an indication that we will implement such - as with many things in life, there are no guarantees. If we do put them in, I'm sure that your input could only make them better. I look forward to reading your thoughts.

ninjaduck
12-20-2011, 05:59 PM
wow! These are really good!!!1!!1

Draopwnzall
12-20-2011, 06:02 PM
What about the LB's for people that have reached a Level cap w/ out elixir's and/or with a 1.5 elixir?

Silentarrow
12-20-2011, 06:03 PM
Good idea! If we do have our xp turned off, will it count towards our actual K/D or a seperate k/d? (on avatar page)

Conradin
12-20-2011, 06:04 PM
Please sam! do it! Please!!!!!!!

Samhayne
12-20-2011, 06:11 PM
Good idea! If we do have our xp turned off, will it count towards our actual K/D or a seperate k/d? (on avatar page)

It would be a separate kill count.

bronislav84
12-20-2011, 06:15 PM
I like!

Otukura
12-20-2011, 06:17 PM
If there's a leaderboard for XP turned off + no elixir, I like it. Might play a bit, JUST to ratio.

Urqui
12-20-2011, 06:21 PM
Kills withouth elixer would be a range between 10k & 11k
Lol Awesome Idea looking forward to see new names up:D

WoundedEagle
12-20-2011, 06:33 PM
Just revive kill boosting and I'll be happy. Nice idea's Sam and STS!

Pwnage502
12-20-2011, 06:34 PM
Make a leaderboard for most money made so I can drool at the top amounts :D

Slcinuup
12-20-2011, 06:37 PM
Cool

Gaddy
12-20-2011, 07:59 PM
Leaderboards for specific periods of time. Say... Every month or so...

That way, if someone is totally domimating, they will eventually "win" their "session", and eventually someone else will have a shot.

On top of that there can be an "all time greatest"leaderboard.

my 2¢

SUPAPRODIGY
12-20-2011, 08:02 PM
cool idea +1 so that means we can kill anything an it will increase our kill count.?

Skeletonlord
12-20-2011, 08:16 PM
I like this idea for leaderboards. +1!

wvhills
12-20-2011, 08:37 PM
IMO, you should do away with the xp anywhere elixir and restore being able to gain kills with xp turned off. You call it "kill boosting" but I don't think that's a proper term to use if it's a level appropriate dungeon for your character. For instance, if I disable xp on a level 35 toon I think I should be able to gain kills in the level 30-35 or level 35-40 dungeons. I feel like keeping the xp anywhere elixirs is the real "kill boosting" where a level 65 can go into balefort castle and and boost kills without being in any jeopardy whatsoever. This would restore twinking to some degree (even though I still wouldn't like the new drop mechanics) and I believe you would sell more plat with people buying extra character slots, the plat packs for equips and either the character upgrades or extra CS and inventory slots. I know the majority of the plat I've spent in game has been spent on new toons that I no longer play and I'm not creating any new toons under this current system (because I don't see any point in twinking now) or spending the plat on it. Just by my observation it doesn't seem like many people use the xp anywhere elixirs. But that's just my observation, I'm sure you have access to lots of data. I would advise looking to see how much plat you make selling these elixirs and compare it how much plat was spent when an existing player made a new twink. I bet you sold more plat for the new toons than you do on these elixirs.

In my view resetting the kill counts to zero (on leaderboards) would just push away many veteran players who are already steaming over some of the recent decisions you guys have made. That's just my 2 cents.

drewcapu
12-20-2011, 08:39 PM
Take leaderboards out of the game and just put it on the website
In game just have a link. This gets people to the website who might ordinarily never use it. There's a lot more flexibility and possibilities that you can do via the website that would just be cramped and cluttered in game. Also, it's a good thing for people to be familiar with the website and the forums, right?

Divide the LB between "All-Time" and "Snapshots"
This is presuming there is no global reset of LB stats. I've always been interested in LB stats that take a snapshot of various stats, whether it is by current/previous day, week, month. But my favorite snapshot is the two-week period, a-la pay periods which are fixed instead of rolling. Such snapshots can be archived / searchable.

Added Stats
Kills are nice. But wouldn't you be curious to see who has killed Vlod the most? Who has killed Emma the most? Who has killed Meathead the most? LBs on boss kills would separate the farmers from the grinders.

Dungeons completed and Campaigns completed can be interesting stats. Sure someone can farm FH1 completions. But how many people can claim to have 500 Mount Fang FL3 Completions? 10 Shadow Caves Campaign Completions (beginning to end, first kill to last kill)?

With the idea of snapshots and the usage of elixirs, why not have a LB for experience earned and levels gained? Let's see who can power-level the best! Can anyone gain 59 Levels in a two-week snapshot?

Timed Stats (All-Time only)

With power leveling comes speed. And when you play with speed, you'll want to know who is the fastest! Whether it's map completions or campaign completions, it would be nice to have runs timed starting from the first hit (mob or player) to the last kill. And, when it comes to timed stats, the Level of all the players involved at the time of completion should be indicated so that we can see just how impressive it was. Timed stats would be interesting to see if they were subdivided by max half-decade level. After all, completing Victory Lap in record time with L65s just isn't as impressive as finishing it in record time with L50s (or 45s?)!

Guild Runs, Solo Runs
An interesting thing about Map/Campaign Completions and Boss Kills is, what if the system detected when such feats were completed by a guild (everyone in the run, beginning to end, was from the same Guild) or (gasp!) solo!?

Rosybuds
12-20-2011, 09:02 PM
LoL .. so if You tick that Box Ur Kill Rate Goes Up when your in Lower Dungeons ! I Didn't Know That lol Now I Know Why My Kill Rate Is Lower than Other"s In My Level !!! As I Have Never Ticked That Box Since I Started Playing lol Well You Learn Something New Every Day !!! I Think That Would Be A Great Idea About The Seperate LeaderBoards .... Just a Pity Those of Us Who Have Never Ticked It Will Have to Start From Scatch As Im Sure Those Boards Would Change Immensely !!!

WhoIsThis
12-20-2011, 09:03 PM
I'm not sure about this one ... do we need so many leaderboard categories at this point?

maneatingtree
12-20-2011, 09:09 PM
Yay great idea! When will this be implemented? Hope that veteran rewards wont be pushed off for leader boards though! Priorites must be set!

Reddwing
12-20-2011, 09:18 PM
I totally miss kill farming! It gets boring just grinding xp. Bringing it back will draw people back to the game. +1000

MightyMicah
12-20-2011, 09:20 PM
Sam, thank you. I was literally about to go start my thread "MightyMicah signing off." One thing I was going to mention in that thread was that the only thing that can bring me back is xp lock kills. If you do this, I will be very gratefull. :)

saool
12-20-2011, 09:43 PM
I like the idea! :)

CrimsonTider
12-20-2011, 09:46 PM
IMO, the old way wasn't broken. It lasted for over a year before the changes were made. Bring bqck the old system instead of implementing all these new categories and useless elixirs.

MightyMicah
12-20-2011, 09:52 PM
+1 ^

Moogerfooger
12-20-2011, 10:07 PM
Just to play devil's advocate, what is the point of having a board glorifying people stomping through underpowered mobs just to rack up cheap kills, as some of you are suggesting? Don't give me that 'but...but...I spent a lot of time doing it!" line, not buying ;) It's like having a board for pro UFC fighters going to a kindergarten and keeping track of how many three-yr old kiddies they destroy. They can claim the most kills eventually, but what's the point if they're beating up defenseless kiddies?

Just another perspective. XP lock kills makes sense though, as they are level-appropriate mobs.

wvhills
12-20-2011, 10:56 PM
Just to play devil's advocate, what is the point of having a board glorifying people stomping through underpowered mobs just to rack up cheap kills, as some of you are suggesting? Don't give me that 'but...but...I spent a lot of time doing it!" line, not buying ;) It's like having a board for pro UFC fighters going to a kindergarten and keeping track of how many three-yr old kiddies they destroy. They can claim the most kills eventually, but what's the point if they're beating up defenseless kiddies?

Just another perspective. XP lock kills makes sense though, as they are level-appropriate mobs.

I agree with you if you're talking about kills counting when you're on the xp anywhere elixir. However, I think they should count if you're in a level appropriate dungeon and xp gain off. A level 35 toon, with xp off should still be able to gain kills in swamps with xp gain off (IMO). That's just an example. I'd like to see it go back to the way it was before.

Edit: Just saw your last sentence moog. Haha. We agree completely. If I hadn't used up all my thanks I would thank you so just imagine this post as a thank.

FluffNStuff
12-20-2011, 11:13 PM
@drew
In theory an awesome idea, especially because a dev once mentioned the leader boards are pushing a lot of data to the game. Problem I could see with that idea is the web and game servers are separate, so a tunnel could be dangerous since the game is naturally more secure then the site. If the game server could somehow push the necessary information though, I wonder if it would be possible. Kinda thinking while I type, so i will think some more, but LOVE the idea drew, and as for the original question, I am for anything that benefits pve twinking.

goddessofpower
12-20-2011, 11:14 PM
This is off topic but I have a problem. When I tried to log on today it said my pass was incorrect even though I had remember password on:O. Then I made a new account then the same thing happened, please help me.

MightyMicah
12-20-2011, 11:20 PM
@mooger's opinion; I said it before and I'll say it again. EVERYTHING, every single aspect of the game, takes nothing but time. Idc if you think having to press thorn root, shatt scream, blast shot, takes skill. You are pressing buttons in a certain order. There's nothing skillfull about it. I have characters at all levels. Yes I know how hard fang and nuris is. Yes I realize it would be impossible to xp lock kills while soloing. Why? Because the threat of death. The threat that doesn't exist in forest haven.

Either way, it's much harder than getting an anywhere xp elixar and ringing up kills as a lvl 66 in balefort castle hidden passage. May I point out that that doesn't take much time at all...

P.s. Notice I adressed "mooger's opinion" not Mooger himself. As such this post is not directed only at mooger's opinion but at anyone who shares that mindset.

drewcapu
12-20-2011, 11:22 PM
@drew
Problem I could see with that idea is the web and game servers are separate, so a tunnel could be dangerous since the game is naturally more secure then the site. If the game server could somehow push the necessary information though, I wonder if it would be possible.

Not sure how the stats and stuff are stored. But if it's anything sql, I'm sure anything just relying on Select statements on it would be perfectly secure. I think the main question will be whether they want to work with live data or data that is mirrored from live data at particular intervals (every hour?).

FluffNStuff
12-20-2011, 11:36 PM
Not sure how the stats and stuff are stored. But if it's anything sql, I'm sure anything just relying on Select statements on it would be perfectly secure. I think the main question will be whether they want to work with live data or data that is mirrored from live data at particular intervals (every hour?).

I think I see what you are saying, if the server was set up to respond to certain queries, it would not be giving the website actual access.

kallima
12-21-2011, 03:15 AM
SAM, I know you said that these may not be implemented but honestly, if nothing is implemented to counter the new xp lixirs, I am forced to no other logical conclusion that the Devs no longer care about maintaining the integrity of the leaderboards. There was nothing wrong with the old system, if I have xp locked so I can farm wlydewood on my level 15 twink, why shouldn't my kills count? I am in a level appropriate dungeon.

All the "enable xp (and thus kills) lixirs" did was divide the community more. I haven't seen this much diviseness since the founders helm was announced. **and please let's not beat that dead horse again, folks**

I feel like STS is reacting on how to solve a problem that was never anticipated in a much more complicated manner than is necessary. Can we not simply disable kills on that elixir? Yes, two leaderboards would be one solution but still a flawed one. Unless you can review every player history and retroactively calculate how many kills were done legitimately and ones done with the aid of an elixir. Additionally, will any lixir (free, gold, and plat) usage be grouped under the separate leaderboard or just the thrasher?

Edit: please forgive typos, my dogs have once again chewed through the power cord to my laptop.

AbsolutePally
12-21-2011, 03:53 AM
The only lesderboard we have been asking for for months is a ctf one. Please ctf lb before this random one.

mackjack
12-21-2011, 04:25 AM
"No elixirs" = no elixirs of any kind, or no plat-bought combo and xp-anywhere elixirs (i.e. 1.5x gold bought elixirs would be OK)?

For someone like Decur who achieved his kills without plat-bought combo elixirs, I think it's terrible to start the kill count from 0 and deprive him a place on the elixir-free LB. Doesn't STS keep players' purchase history so it'd be easy to tell which players never bought combo elixirs? For someone that never bought thrasher elixirs, their kill count should not be reset. Granted, there might be a total of 2 such players, but still...

Moogerfooger
12-21-2011, 09:47 AM
@mooger's opinion; I said it before and I'll say it again. EVERYTHING, every single aspect of the game, takes nothing but time. Idc if you think having to press thorn root, shatt scream, blast shot, takes skill. You are pressing buttons in a certain order. There's nothing skillfull about it. I have characters at all levels. Yes I know how hard fang and nuris is. Yes I realize it would be impossible to xp lock kills while soloing. Why? Because the threat of death. The threat that doesn't exist in forest haven.

Either way, it's much harder than getting an anywhere xp elixar and ringing up kills as a lvl 66 in balefort castle hidden passage. May I point out that that doesn't take much time at all...

P.s. Notice I adressed "mooger's opinion" not Mooger himself. As such this post is not directed only at mooger's opinion but at anyone who shares that mindset.

Dear MightyMicah's Opinion :D

Err, not sure what you are getting at....I was merely stating that a leaderboard glorifying people who rack up kills in non-level appropriate levels like a 66 going to Hidden Passage and killing a bunch of defenseless mobs like one could do for a bit with those new "anywhere" elixirs if I recall, is in my opinion a waste/shows nothing/not a leaderboard showing any achievement/skill/talent/anything to be noted. And that I thought XP-locked characters SHOULD get credit, if they are running level-appropriate levels.

Then again, I do not really care either way, because I personally think the leaderboards are a joke for the most part with the exception of people like Decur who have racked up their kills all on level-appropriate levels, as the boards used to be able to be manipulated/tainted by kill-boosting. I have gone months without even looking at them or even remembering they are there, hence me occasionally posting "We have leaderboards?" ;) Even though I don't really care, I still cringed a bit when I saw people magically appear on the boards recently due to the "anywhere" elixir exploit (not illegal, but to me an exploit) and bump people off who I know have been around forever grinding out "real" kills.

Again, just my devil's advocate point of view/opinion.

vulgarstrike
12-21-2011, 10:03 AM
I'm thinking that the scoreboards have gotten pretty much useless in determining any "true skill" or even practice for that matter.

I propose that a new section of scores is set, where the only kills that count would be "situational" kills.
By that, I mean, kills you gain only through running through a dungeon of equal or higher level that you qualify to level up in, with party members in the same situation, gain XP for the kill, do not use any elixers, but only the items on your hands and back.

In this manner, the people on this section of the scoreboard will have demonstrated, for the most part, that their kills were gained fairly through strategical play and whatnot.

Decur
12-21-2011, 11:01 AM
First, I just want to say, I'm flattered that some of you remember me. Thank you!

Secondly, I think idea is not a bad solution to the xp anywhere elixirs. I'd still like to see kills disabled when players are on that elixir, but if that's not going to happen, then this is a fair alternative.

FluffNStuff
12-21-2011, 12:00 PM
I would like to take a moment here to mention PVE Twinking, and why I feel it is the best thing to happen to the game:
1) Courteous PVE Twinkers are the real ambassadors of the game. These are veteran players mixed in among the 'newbs', and are able to answer questions that come up, give skill / stat / weapon advice, and can help guide players in the maps they are in.
2) PVE Twinkers are 'undercover'. A lot of the scamming in the game is targeted at new players, and Twinks are able to spot that. They also can see when high level players are being 'rude' to low level players, especially when the high level players are 'guests' in the lower maps.
3) PVE Twinkers are low level players involved in the forums, and can relay issues with maps or skills or stats to the Dev's. Most people do not join the forums until they are in the higher levels, and this means the issues of lower levels might not be heard.

As to the original question, I am not a fan of the leader boards, as they emphasize the individual aspect of the game and not the team, but I do appreciate that there are those that do. I also understand why XP lock is an issue to them, because it dominates the 'ratio'. The way health and damage scale in the game, it is MUCH easier to stay alive at lower levels.

I like the new suggestions, but I am curious about how they would work, as it is an issue I ran into when thinking of solutions. What happens when someone turns XP back on? Which leader-board will those new kills count towards? If someone only uses elixirs once in a while, will they say, have 500 elixir kills and 10K regular kills?

Samhayne
12-21-2011, 12:02 PM
In game just have a link. This gets people to the website who might ordinarily never use it. There's a lot more flexibility and possibilities that you can do via the website that would just be cramped and cluttered in game. Also, it's a good thing for people to be familiar with the website and the forums, right?

This is presuming there is no global reset of LB stats. I've always been interested in LB stats that take a snapshot of various stats, whether it is by current/previous day, week, month. But my favorite snapshot is the two-week period, a-la pay periods which are fixed instead of rolling. Such snapshots can be archived / searchable.

Added Stats
Kills are nice. But wouldn't you be curious to see who has killed Vlod the most? Who has killed Emma the most? Who has killed Meathead the most? LBs on boss kills would separate the farmers from the grinders.

Dungeons completed and Campaigns completed can be interesting stats. Sure someone can farm FH1 completions. But how many people can claim to have 500 Mount Fang FL3 Completions? 10 Shadow Caves Campaign Completions (beginning to end, first kill to last kill)?

With the idea of snapshots and the usage of elixirs, why not have a LB for experience earned and levels gained? Let's see who can power-level the best! Can anyone gain 59 Levels in a two-week snapshot?

With power leveling comes speed. And when you play with speed, you'll want to know who is the fastest! Whether it's map completions or campaign completions, it would be nice to have runs timed starting from the first hit (mob or player) to the last kill. And, when it comes to timed stats, the Level of all the players involved at the time of completion should be indicated so that we can see just how impressive it was. Timed stats would be interesting to see if they were subdivided by max half-decade level. After all, completing Victory Lap in record time with L65s just isn't as impressive as finishing it in record time with L50s (or 45s?)!

Guild Runs, Solo Runs
An interesting thing about Map/Campaign Completions and Boss Kills is, what if the system detected when such feats were completed by a guild (everyone in the run, beginning to end, was from the same Guild) or (gasp!) solo!?

Nice summary of ideas, thanks for posting them!

AbsolutePally
12-21-2011, 01:45 PM
Capture the Flag Leaderboard.

SUPAPRODIGY
12-21-2011, 02:08 PM
i like how some of the veterans are like dont bring that idea in. first because back then you could grind kills in forest haven an get a bunch of kills just like all the twinks and oreiii did it so there kills when up like high an now if yoy implented this people would be like no fair i wasted hours grinding just to show up in leader boards but who cares
there will be separated leaderboards for killing mobs on your level and over all killing
i do agree on CTF LB but on the Chrome version can you show more people not just 1-5 people more like up to 100 people please .

Samhayne
12-21-2011, 02:12 PM
Capture the Flag Leaderboard.

What is a CTF leaderboard showing? Kills while playing CTF? Flag captures? How would you envision that working?

Otukura
12-21-2011, 04:51 PM
What is a CTF leaderboard showing? Kills while playing CTF? Flag captures? How would you envision that working?

Had a bit of a discussion here:

http://www.spacetimestudios.com/showthread.php?40961-Simple-CTF-add-ons

AbsolutePally
12-21-2011, 05:27 PM

Same as pvp. Kills, deaths, caps. Yes while playing those maps. It shows it in our stats page in profiles why not have it like everything else?
Or am I missing something.
Also, more than 5 listings of top would be cool maybe 10 - 25 at most?

MightyMicah
12-21-2011, 08:50 PM
@MoogerFooger (notice this time it's not his opinion XD)

Oooohhh I see what you are saying. My apologies then. I thought you were saying something else entirely. Unless I misenterpreted your latest post, I agree with you entirely. :)

Lol fail.
~MM

Pimpslide
12-21-2011, 09:42 PM
Please bring in a most deaths leaderboard.
It is really difficult to be a n00b.

The current death board is only for PVP.

There is a most PvE deaths leaders I believe.

Shellkaz
12-24-2011, 12:03 PM
I had mentioned the idea of timed runs about a week or two ago. Also I like the idea of leader boards tracking boss kills, and encouraging more guild participation via guild only runs. I run with a bird and dex bear that can both solo vlod but it's quicker with a Mage to buff, debuff and help with mob kills.

Take leaderboards out of the game and just put it on the websiteIn game just have a link. This gets people to the website who might ordinarily never use it. There's a lot more flexibility and possibilities that you can do via the website that would just be cramped and cluttered in game. Also, it's a good thing for people to be familiar with the website and the forums, right?

Added Stats

Guild Runs, Solo Runs

Kaarataka
12-25-2011, 03:04 AM
Yes I really wish there was a capture the flag Leader Board. Since currently your leader boards combine kills and deaths of PvP and CTF, why not separate them and have a combined(or total like you have now) LB? I've posted before about adding Capture/flags to the leader board too. Since most of the top pvpers are big into CTF why not post these stats too?

Elyseon
12-25-2011, 05:30 PM
One thing i suggested a while back was for guilds, have a guild leaderboard.for the average kdr as well as number of players in a guild.

AbsolutePally
12-27-2011, 07:15 PM
Yes I really wish there was a capture the flag Leader Board. Since currently your leader boards combine kills and deaths of PvP and CTF, why not separate them and have a combined(or total like you have now) LB? I've posted before about adding Capture/flags to the leader board too. Since most of the top pvpers are big into CTF why not post these stats too?

It does? Hm then amy would be on LB with 22k pvp kills and 12k ctf kills?
Or me on deaths w my 16k deaths and 7.5k ctf deaths :(

Whirlzap
12-27-2011, 08:24 PM

Added Stats

Guild Runs, Solo Runs

In b4 Advanced Mechanics are applied to PL and shape the game.

Flamin
12-27-2011, 08:45 PM
Great Idea, And add total kills without earning xp.

Redcherry
12-28-2011, 04:52 AM

Added Stats

Guild Runs, Solo Runs

Yes, i agree that it would be good to differentiate kill n deaths between bosses and weaker mobs. It will show the players ability to dungeon bosses.

Kaarataka
12-28-2011, 05:13 AM
It does? Hm then amy would be on LB with 22k pvp kills and 12k ctf kills?
Or me on deaths w my 16k deaths and 7.5k ctf deaths :(

Being big into ctf doesn't mean you have more kills in ctf. I actually have more kill/deaths in ctf than pvp but I'm a flag junkie. Can you honestly say you would prefer a pvp game vs a full team ctf?

maneatingtree
02-19-2012, 02:39 PM
Hmm will these lb changes happen anytime in the future?

Cool4ever100
02-19-2012, 11:24 PM
Good idea