PDA

View Full Version : forum user awards?

Skeletonlord
12-24-2011, 06:46 AM
i was just wondering that STS could make a forum user award for some people. there could be forum titles as well for this. an example of a forum title could be Forum User of the week etc. what do you guys think? please comment on this.
here are some examples of some awards given:

1. Forum user of the week
2. Forum user of the month
3. Forum user of the year
4. Most helpful
5. Highest Post Count Award
6. Most annoying

as well as some of these awards, users could get a custom avatar of a thumbs up sign or something along the lines of that. in game, they could get a special vanity helm as well.

please comment on this guys,

thanks, Skeletonlord

nomad187
12-24-2011, 07:28 AM
This could be a neat thing. How would you determine who won each reward?? Could the same person win more than once??

Skeletonlord
12-24-2011, 07:33 AM
This could be a neat thing. How would you determine who won each reward?? Could the same person win more than once??

each reward could be given through: kindness, helpness, reporting bad posts and keeping forums clean are just 4 different determinations for the rewards. the same person if they were so good and had a special mention from STS they could have multiple awards given to them.

Blind
12-24-2011, 07:55 AM
U want this so we get even more suck ups/police officers/spammers/etc etc.?

Crunchee
12-24-2011, 07:57 AM
Hmm, I don't think this is a very good idea. If you've read the thread about the GoA, you should know that people are greedy. I agree with this quote below:

Actually I disagree. The problem is not that the quality of the GoA's has been declining. The problem is human Nature. Everyone wants to be better than the next guy and from a selfish point of view, the GoAs are "better" than the average guy. Certainly they are leaders and should be upheld but not considered "better" if you catch my meaning...

Because of this, we get people like, (i believe his name was) MasterChief who come in to the forums, find out about GoAs and then pretend to be someone they're not. MasterChief gave away all his money and items in hopes of achieving GoA. When he wasn't awarded with it he raged and quit. Rumor has it he now begs in game for a living...

My point is, people should not try and achieve GoA. They should be themself and if they deserve GoA they will get it. Human nature simply doesn't allow the system to work.

You mentioned the first GoAs were of the highest quality. Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't it stand to reason that it is simply because they were not expecting GoA? In other words they were helpful just to be helpful. They had no intention of earning anything. Their motives were pure.

Now the motive is "If I am helpful and good enough I might get GoA." IMO that is a flawed idea.

~MM

I think that award system will just end like GoA. That's human nature. Lol :)

Btw, Merry Christmas!! It's nearly 0:00 here!

MimeRifle
12-24-2011, 08:04 AM
Yeah..... good point. But man, people like TROPHIES, ya know?!?!?

I'd be gunning for the "Lifetime Achievement" award for the most off-off-topic posts. haha!!! (yes, I post almost exclusively in "off-topic", and somehow, I *still* manage to be off-topic!! That's a skill, right? Maybe not a useful one... but a skill nonetheless! :D)

Arterra
12-24-2011, 08:18 AM
moral issues and false altruism aside, I nominate Royce for the title "Forum user of the Aeon"
Sure, I might compare Elly as the modern Royce, but that is still me comparing someone to his original greatness xD

...sucking up and joking aside (i do after all owe my GoAhood to copying him), and finally properly on topic, If future forum titles are to be added, they will need to be based of real achievements, not just opinion based decisions made by the devs. something like "first 5 lv66 characters!" or "Quest junkie!"

Skeletonlord
12-24-2011, 08:24 AM
thanks for your critism guys! much apreciated! even though some of you disagree, i still think this is a great idea!

BodMaster
12-24-2011, 08:54 AM
Don't think this is suited towards, helping and 'policing' etc. but to get funny forum awards out of the blue would be fun. Even if that person is forumer of the week/month/year, be awesome if they give these for a certain thing the member done inbetween the time they were chosen. More of a fun thing, rather than SG/GoA.

ETA:

Some of late,

Ridvic - Y SO SERUS!

Facebones - Sig Comedic

dugantale
12-24-2011, 10:35 AM
It is a great idea all though people will all of a sudden report for the little things

nomad187
12-24-2011, 10:55 AM
My thinking was it'd be neat if there was a way that no one would know what it took to get one. It'd be at the devs discretion. More sucking up, policing, making one paragraph "guides", and useless responses would be popping up everywhere.

I would like to see who would win certain awards though...

Most helpful

Most annoying

Biggest troll

Best forum police officer

Best guide maker

Best thoughtful

Best looking

Biggest suck up

Most useless responses to increase post count

Any other award ideas??

javier995
12-24-2011, 10:56 AM
It is a great idea all though people will all of a sudden report for the little things

That is so true, IMO. We don't want to have the devs piled up with little reports that can be solved on the thread, just because someone want to be awarded.

Like it was said above, help to help not to be rewarded. If you're honestly just helping to be an SG/GoA/whatever DL has to offer, you shouldn't ever be made one IMO.

I've met countless people tell me if I'm shooting for SG (ingame) just because I help. Like I tell them, I couldn't care less.

I see it this way, if you're helping out just to help you might have this mindset. If you become SG/GoA well that's nice, and if you don't well you really don't care. Those titles, well that's it they're just titles. Everyone will always shoot for the title, well because it's human nature (as was said in the above quote) to attempt to hold any given title.

Like Bod said, the awards should just be for comedy because everyone enjoys a good laugh. Hey maybe even for artistic skills, we might get Red to make us more of his masterpieces ;). If the awards are just for helping and reporting the most things, well that would be a wrong step. If you really want to be 'awarded' for being helpful, a thank you should suffice.

Just my $0.02 :p

I apologize ahead of time, I won't be able to quote any long posts you guys make so sorry:p

Skeletonlord
12-24-2011, 11:02 AM
@nomad197 your ideas here are awesome! I didnt think of any of these! Will add some of yours to my list at the first post!

ninjaduck
12-24-2011, 11:56 AM
My thinking was it'd be neat if there was a way that no one would know what it took to get one. It'd be at the devs discretion. More sucking up, policing, making one paragraph "guides", and useless responses would be popping up everywhere.

Most helpful

Most annoying

Biggest troll

Best guide maker

Best thoughtful

Best looking

Biggest suck up

Any other award ideas??

Half of these would just make the forums a horrible place...

i.e. Biggest Troll? you think people arent going to want that???

I agree with Dugan^

nomad187
12-24-2011, 12:11 PM

Most helpful

Most annoying

Biggest troll

Best guide maker

Best thoughtful

Best looking

Biggest suck up

Any other award ideas??

Half of these would just make the forums a horrible place...

i.e. Biggest Troll? you think people arent going to want that???

I agree with Dugan^

It was sarcasm. Most people know where the implementation on any forum awards or vanities would lead to. It would be impossible to come up with a true reward system for forum vanities.

The forums are a place for knowledge and discussion. It should not be looked as a place to earn rewards. That's what leads to even more useless threads, and posts.

Hankomachos
12-24-2011, 12:23 PM
I'm not sure about the post count award one - some may just constantly spam useless, non helpful stuff just to get the award/title. As opposed to someone like...mysticaldream who has a lot of posts, but all of them are helpful ones.
:)

And as said above, I don't think it's a good idea. People will look at those with "forum titles" as "that Guy with.. " instead of just a member. So... no, I personally don't like it.

ninjaduck
12-24-2011, 12:36 PM
It was sarcasm. Most people know where the implementation on any forum awards or vanities would lead to. It would be impossible to come up with a true reward system for forum vanities.

The forums are a place for knowledge and discussion. It should not be looked as a place to earn rewards. That's what leads to even more useless threads, and posts.

Thank you! I was hoping to see this from you!

I'm not sure about the post count award one - some may just constantly spam useless, non helpful stuff just to get the award/title. As opposed to someone like...mysticaldream who has a lot of posts, but all of them are helpful ones.

And as said above, I don't think it's a good idea. People will look at those with "forum titles" as "that Guy with.. " instead of just a member. So... no, I personally don't like it.

Exactly. Post padding would just reach a new high, its already quite obvious as it is...

SUPAPRODIGY
12-24-2011, 12:59 PM
maybe user of the day an of the week
i agree on those.

ninjaduck
12-24-2011, 01:01 PM
i agree on those.

User of the Day is a bit vague, there would have to be all kinds of criteria and such...

Skeletonlord
12-24-2011, 01:15 PM
i agree on those.

A user of the day sounds like it could be a awesome idea, but the user would need to stand out and have a reputation.

Zeus
12-24-2011, 01:20 PM
I like the idea and everything, skeleton, but really all this will do is promote competition. Tbh, the forums isn't a game. It's a place to share knowledge/information and have a good time with friends. We already have post count boosters as it is. If I saw an exponential increase of their population, I think I'd most likely quit the forums along with quite a few others. It's tedious as it is to have to refrain from commenting on those type of posters.

In short, it's a great idea, but it could be easily abused and bring outcomes that you never could have expected. :-/

Skeletonlord
12-24-2011, 01:24 PM
@Apollo I know what you mean buddy. There are downsides as well. About it raising competition: it would 100% agree there.

Suentous PO
12-28-2011, 08:25 PM
Naw nope no ect , lol. As soon as we got extra forum titles we got a mass of post spam, useless and sometimes incorrect advice. Or..
Question-
Billy- I don't know the answer but if you have questions don't hesitate to ask for help.
Bob- yeah what he said!
Frank- I don't know the answer but meybe Ted does.
Mike- I don't know good question!
Ted- thanks Fred then adds the answer obtainable from the search function.
Bob- yeah what Ted said. Thanks frank for no reason. Then starts "what did you have for breakfast post.
I could go on for days
And I would for free vanities. I kid.
Many a truth in jest.

CrimsonTider
12-28-2011, 09:51 PM
Simply put: No.

To much of a need for self-gratification around the forums as it is. All this would do is flood the forums with insincere, purposeless posts from people looking solely for a "title". People should want to post because THEY WANT TOO and not because they are looking to "win" something.

Sorry to rain on your parade. Last thing we need around the forums is more people who post useless information or repost what others say. Need to cut out the clutter around here, not add.

Whirlzap
12-28-2011, 10:06 PM
moral issues and false altruism aside, I nominate Royce for the title "Forum user of the Aeon"
Sure, I might compare Elly as the modern Royce, but that is still me comparing someone to his original greatness xD

...sucking up and joking aside (i do after all owe my GoAhood to copying him), and finally properly on topic, If future forum titles are to be added, they will need to be based of real achievements, not just opinion based decisions made by the devs. something like "first 5 lv66 characters!" or "Quest junkie!"

No Dragon Egg... plis no die QQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQ
More people click on Arty's sig!
*becomes clicking addict*

SUPAPRODIGY
12-28-2011, 10:11 PM
im out as usual with my horrible repuation :LoadsGun:

largecommand
12-28-2011, 10:37 PM
5. Highest Post Count Award

Problem, People can just random post. Or do post boosting.