PDA

View Full Version : HP touchpad question

KTpantyhose
12-28-2011, 11:24 AM
hey everyone! Hope you all had a very good Christmas. Santa was kind and brought me an HP touchpad.. Was wondering if anyone also has one. I'm thinking of installing android for it because I really want to be able to play pocket legends. Also to just have more apps since the webOS store has close to nothing. Ive gotten very spoiled with my iPhone lol.

if anyone that has this tablet and plays pocket legends on it with android added to it, and if so which app market did you get it in and how well does it run?

Rare
12-28-2011, 12:11 PM
I have one that i put cyanogenmods alpha 3.5 on. Pocket legends looks good except that it isn't optimized for the 1024x768 display so everything is a little squished.

Also, I had some crashes when actually playing when it got graphics/processor intensive (on 3.0). In Towns it works just fine. I think they did done 3d optimizations though in 3.5. Haven't fully tested it out tho.

I find it much more enjoyable playing pl on my phone. I wouldn't say its bad though. When a stable mod comes (ICS) I hope it will be a lot better.

Btw i have the 32gb version

EDIT: You asked about the app market, with Cyanogenmod 7 (version 3.5) there is a fix they added for the market. You can download PL from there. Or you can get it from spacetime's website via direct download.

KTpantyhose
12-28-2011, 12:24 PM
thanks! My bf had a hard time trying to get cyanogenmod to dl on our mac so we're going to have to wait for our friend to use his pc. Just doing tons of research before we go about it. I want to make sure the android install is a success and worth it ya know? I have the 32g one too.

also where can I get good updates for info for this kind of stuff like android updates/releases so I can keep up to date. I'm normally an apple user so android is all new to me.

TechniShock
12-28-2011, 12:27 PM
I have an HP touchpad and I dual booted it to android JUST to play PL. When I tried it out it ran smooth just like the iPad.

KTpantyhose
12-28-2011, 03:40 PM
how long did it take you to dual boot it. And did you use a mac or pc to do it?

Rare
12-28-2011, 04:26 PM

The dual boot only requires one more step during the install process.

If you do a google search for "cyanogenmod hp touchpad" you'll find plenty of hits. Liliputing.com had very clear steps for installing. It seems like a lot of work but really only takes about 30 minutes.

TechniShock
12-28-2011, 05:42 PM
I used a PC to dual boot it. I forgot how long it took though.

KTpantyhose
12-28-2011, 07:41 PM
thank you everyone!

KTpantyhose
12-29-2011, 10:29 AM
the only problem I'm finding (cause I'm trying to do it by myself) is that a lot of the sites tell you how to do it while android is already on there? ugh D:

Rare
12-29-2011, 10:35 AM
the only problem I'm finding (cause I'm trying to do it by myself) is that a lot of the sites tell you how to do it while android is already on there? ugh D:

This site has instructions for both.

http://liliputing.com/2011/11/how-to-install-cyanogenmod-7-1-android-alpha-3-on-the-hp-touchpad.html

Somewhere in there there is a link to the steps if you have not yet installed Android. Basically, the steps are the same. The only difference is the version of CM7.1 you are going to use (the zip you get from rootzwiki). Here is the link.

http://liliputing.com/2011/10/how-to-install-google-android-on-the-hp-touchpad-with-cyanogenmod7.html

If you need any specific help or have questions, send me a PM and I'll gladly help out.

Just to make it a little easier, here are the files you will need:

ACMEInstaller.zip - This is the installer that you will run from your host system.
update-cm-7.1.0-tenderloin-a3.5-fullofbugs.zip - This is the actual CM7.1 image
update-cwm_tenderloin-1012.zip - ClockWork recovery for updating the image.
moboot_0.3.3.zip - This is the dual boot package.
The latest gApps package for CyanogenMod

In addition to this you will need the Palm Novacom software. This site has some information on what is required for Novacom. You don't need the entire WebOS SDK, just Novacom. Check out steps 2 and 3.

http://www.everythingabouttablets.net/2011/10/13/how-to-install-android-cyanogenmod-on-the-hp-touchpad/

KTpantyhose
12-29-2011, 02:33 PM
ok... i got it working and it works fine! the only problem i see is when the screen turns black from not being in use it makes me choose if i want android or webos again.. how do i get it from not doing that and for it to stay in android when it times out???

TechniShock
12-29-2011, 02:36 PM
If you dual boot to android, you can always go back to WebOS.

Rare
12-29-2011, 03:50 PM
ok... i got it working and it works fine! the only problem i see is when the screen turns black from not being in use it makes me choose if i want android or webos again.. how do i get it from not doing that and for it to stay in android when it times out???

That looks like it is rebooting.

Did you try going to standby with the power button? Does it do the same thing?

Also what release did you put on it?

Edit: this had gone kind of off topic. Maybe mods can move it before we get yelled at

KTpantyhose
12-29-2011, 04:38 PM
haha. I'm sure a lot of other people have the same questions and etc i have. I'm sure I'm not the only person who got one for xmas too.

but i have to hit the power button before i put it down or else it will reboot. i can't find anything on it. so idk. as long as i don't forget to do that i think i'll be fine.

but anyways! if anyone does have a mac i used these instructions. soooo helpful. because before i watched this video i was severely lost:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJ57i2d7NBY