PDA

View Full Version : Age requirements for forums and Spacetime applications

Pandar
12-29-2011, 05:00 PM
It recently came to light that some people think the age limit of the forums and the game has been lowered to 9 years old. This is not true. Because of the Children's Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA) the age limit for these forums and the games themselves (because of the chat function) is 13 years old.

Anyone under the age of 13 is prohibited by law to participate in the forums or the games. I'm sorry if there was any confusion.

Carth
12-29-2011, 05:14 PM
Well thanks for clearing that up. Of course, there are still a bunch of kids below the age of 13 on the forums and in-game and the numbers will only continue to grow. Too bad they can't be here with their age publicly known. Most of them are pretty cool to be honest.

javier995
12-29-2011, 05:25 PM
Does this mean they'll ban these people from the forum like my friend was for a couple weeks until his birthday?

adidaman
12-29-2011, 05:27 PM
Well in a parallel universe I'm -17 years old. Can I still participate?

Kahlua
12-29-2011, 05:27 PM
Finally clearing this up...Don't know how this is just being corrected now, when we've been discussing it for like 2 weeks =\
But at least it's out in the open now.

Pandar
12-29-2011, 05:32 PM
@Javier995 Yeah, we have to ban them until their birthday. We've had to do this to some really great people before too, it's not fun but required by law.

@adidaman LOL. One thing I'll point out as I did on the other thread, is that because it is so hard to verify ages, if someone says they are under 13 we have to take that as evidence and act on it. So don't say you're under 13 if you really aren't!

javier995
12-29-2011, 05:35 PM
Goodbye (insert statistic here)% of the community!

Btw Pandar double post ftW;)

adidaman
12-29-2011, 05:36 PM
@Javier995 Yeah, we have to ban them until their birthday. We've had to do this to some really great people before too, it's not fun but required by law.

@adidaman LOL. One thing I'll point out as I did on the other thread, is that because it is so hard to verify ages, if someone says they are under 13 we have to take that as evidence and act on it. So don't say you're under 13 if you really aren't! point taken :p

Pandar
12-29-2011, 05:44 PM
Goodbye (insert statistic here)% of the community!

Btw Pandar double post ftW;)

Man I was hoping no one would catch that!!! Haha.

We're not like... on a mission to crack down on everyone here, it just came up on a thread earlier and I wanted to post a reminder.

SUPAPRODIGY
12-29-2011, 05:46 PM
lol good thing i just turn 6 woot woot JUST KIDDING im turning 18 in one month :).

javier995
12-29-2011, 05:48 PM
Lol javi 1 - Pandar 0.

I know it's not like that:p Just curiosity, how is it done? Does the forum thingamajig automatically ban them, or is it done manually?

Fac3bon3s
12-29-2011, 05:50 PM
lol good thing i just turn 6 woot woot JUST KIDDING im turning 18 in one month :).
Ignore the second half of this post. The first part is all that matters.

javier995
12-29-2011, 05:52 PM
Lol @ Fac3bon3s and his double post :O

Fac3bon3s
12-29-2011, 06:04 PM
The forums where acting funny when I went to post. I will delete one. :ambivalence:

Pandar
12-29-2011, 06:06 PM
Forums must be a little slow right now, double posting all over the place!

It's mostly manual. If we see evidence or someone saying they are under 13 we have to do something about it.

Killerade
12-29-2011, 06:07 PM
So that's why i've been seeing a bunch of "banned" below people's name.
But then again im sure there will be a bunch of kids slipping through the cracks.

javier995
12-29-2011, 06:15 PM
Yes the forum app has been slow since yesterday night after that thing that makes the forums unaccessible for a few minutes. It takes awhile to actually submit your post even after you hit submit, and it's takin longer than usual to load a thread (but it depends on the thread).

Oic, well it would suck if you needed to sit there and go through ever person here on the forum to ban the underage ones lol.

Hey bro since we're already here, do you guys plan to make a thanks and thumbs up button on the app?

Hans
12-29-2011, 06:20 PM
Hello Guys,

thank you for this Information.

But sometimes there is no way to avoid a double post. For example if you have any Informations and the thread is on second site. Nobody visit this thread until you make a new post.
Hope you understand.

Thanks

javier995
12-29-2011, 06:23 PM
@Hans That type of post you speak of is not what we are speaking of. The double post that was used here, was the forum acting funny and making you post the same reply twice. This happens idk how but it's always good to catch a dev do it;)

Killerade
12-29-2011, 06:27 PM
maybe people get impatient and press "post Quick Reply" twice
EDIT: i tired and i failed it's not that

Hans
12-29-2011, 06:29 PM
@Hans That type of post you speak of is not what we are speaking of. The double post that was used here, was the forum acting funny and making you post the same reply twice. This happens idk how but it's always good to catch a dev do it;)

Aww ok, than i misunderstood. Sorry.

javier995
12-29-2011, 06:32 PM
@Killer I don't know exactly, ask Pandar or Fac3 they did it so they should know. It's also happened on the app to, I believe it was so I'm not sure, Bod.

@Hanz It's ok. Did you mean from both threads that Pandar posted in both sections of the forums?

Whirlzap
12-29-2011, 07:42 PM
Since we're all over 13 I'll sing Party Rock Anthem now.
Party Rock is in the house tonight. <forgot the rest of lyrics>
And we gonna make you lose your mind.
............./fail

Hans
12-29-2011, 07:44 PM
Since we're all over 13 I'll sing Party Rock Anthem now.
Party Rock is in the house tonight. <forgot the rest of lyrics>
And we gonna make you lose your mind.
............./fail

Aww i love this song, I ll turn it on now, thank you!

BodMaster
12-29-2011, 09:04 PM
I brought this to a devs a attention when the iTunes/Market started to show 9+ nothing was said or replied. I have also on numorous occations brought some peoples ages being under 13 to sts attention.. Tho i still see them run around today..

How come this is only being actioned now? When brought to light on a subject that was in fact as you stated it against the law so promtly? But had been happening for months?

Aculeas
12-29-2011, 10:31 PM
I brought this to a devs a attention when the iTunes/Market started to show 9+ nothing was said or replied. I have also on numorous occations brought some peoples ages being under 13 to sts attention.. Tho i still see them run around today..

How come this is only being actioned now? When brought to light on a subject that was in fact as you stated it against the law so promtly? But had been happening for months?

Like he said its not like... they are on a crusade.

SUPAPRODIGY
12-29-2011, 10:32 PM
if this took place how many people would get banned?

Fac3bon3s
12-29-2011, 10:58 PM
if this took place how many people would get banned?
Is that a rhetorical question?

BodMaster
12-30-2011, 05:17 PM

And this is the kind of behaviour or choices im getting fed up/annoyed at.

A reasonable request with a very valid point and its ignored. (not worth a reply?)

Now they will ignore this and because its weekend leave it and when they get back on mon-tues, either forget it even existed or maybe luck enough to get an answer or pm.

Samhayne
12-30-2011, 05:36 PM
Hey Bodmaster,

I'm sorry you feel that we avoid questions. As for prior issues, I don't know what to tell you. I can only point to this most recent evidence of enforcement that we do take these issues serious.

As you will note from our Terms of Service: http://www.spacetimestudios.com/termsofservice.php

Age Requirements. You must be at least 13 years old to Access Spacetime Applications.

Raterax
12-30-2011, 05:47 PM
Ok, so I turned 13 years old on February 4 this year. On Techquake's forums account, for those of you who don't know me I am Techquake's big Brother, it says he I'd banned for being too young to be on the forums. And it says: Ban will be lifted - never. Does this mean he can't go on it forever? He was shocked and started crying in the corner and never go out of bed for half a day! LMFAO! Btw, Techquake is 10 years old right now, he is not 9 so in 3 years can he be back on?

BodMaster
12-30-2011, 06:03 PM
Hey Bodmaster,

I'm sorry you feel that we avoid questions. As for prior issues, I don't know what to tell you. I can only point to this most recent evidence of enforcement that we do take these issues serious.

As you will note from our Terms of Service: http://www.spacetimestudios.com/termsofservice.php

Okay thanks for taking the time to reply Sam. Not exactly a full explanation, but am glad these issues are being taken seriously from now on. I have read both ToS and Forum rules, and knew that the age limit was 13, but after finding out that it was a law then thats when it hit me as to why it havent been the case from the start.

As shown above it does feel we (community) can only get your (STS) attention when we make posts like my last one on this thread, and so we know its been veiwed and being actioned, this shouldn't really be the case. Thanks again, and will contine to do what i have since i started.

Ok, so I turned 13 years old on February 4 this year. On Techquake's forums account, for those of you who don't know me I am Techquake's big Brother, it says he I'd banned for being too young to be on the forums. And it says: Ban will be lifted - never. Does this mean he can't go on it forever? He was shocked and started crying in the corner and never go out of bed for half a day! LMFAO! Btw, Techquake is 10 years old right now, he is not 9 so in 3 years can he be back on?

Talking about bans is against ToS, your best bet at a responce is contacting support unfortunetly, its the weekend soon i so i would do it asap.

By looking at what you have stated then, for knowing (or should have read the ToS before logging in) that they were breaking this and infact the law, i doubt he will be able to play again :(

SUPAPRODIGY
12-30-2011, 06:13 PM
will this ever be enforce like in game. Like you have to be like 13 or older to play.

BodMaster
12-30-2011, 06:17 PM
will this ever be enforce like in game. Like you have to be like 13 or older to play.

It already is buddy. Each time you (people in general) log in they are accepting STS terms of service :)

krazii
12-30-2011, 08:03 PM
I wish I was 13...that was two 13's ago :(.......youth is wasted on the young.