PDA

View Full Version : What's happened to Alterra?

Onaraasider
12-30-2011, 10:17 AM
The game is great and this is not a hate thread,but there are always people that ruin the game for other people.From June to December,the game has increased with young teens who are saying things that they no they aren't supposed to say. Things that no child would even think of saying to the parents.theses teens say things that ONLYadults should know about. They have said things,that if i repeated it on the forums i would probably get an infraction or something worse. I know for a fact I can't say I'm completely innocent,but I have never went as far as most of them go now. Somehow they always find a new hangout to use their dirty language. The thing that I'm trying to say is that it becomes worse for people like mine wh have very protective parents. It has gotten so bad that I'm afraid to even play in front of my mom now. She once made me delete pocket legends when a kid said Justin bieber is a ___ ___ _____. After hours of convincing I was able to play again,but I'm afraid that someone will say somethng worse,and I will not be able to play anymore.

Epic Unicorns!
12-30-2011, 10:36 AM
I know what you are talking about...I would just say to avoid thosebtowns. The bad one is always Shadow Caves Towne, so I avoid them. If one slips into my town, I just mute or report. Maybe your parents won't see any of that if you avoid them or mute them. :)

nmyxspaceship
12-30-2011, 10:50 AM
I also think the filter still works, that is if they are not using extra letters..

Onaraasider
12-30-2011, 10:56 AM
I also think the filter still works, that is if they are not using extra letters..The filter(no offense STS) is horrible, I never understand ppl becuz it stars everything out.like this:" hit it" will turn into hi* ** and cash it wlll turn into ca** **

Whirlzap
12-30-2011, 11:26 AM
Yeah filtering works very decently like every other game.
But like every other game, there's always ways to go around it.
Atleast this game actually has Developers posting threads in General Discussion literally stating that the limit is 13+.
I think that if your mother can't trust PL, she might as well not trust any other game.

Appleisaac
12-30-2011, 12:25 PM
I don't understand why you don't get muted if you drop the f bomb and leave out the u... Or say the four letter s word and leave out the I... I agree fully... I was in the Christmas town thingy with wounded and necro and there were 5-7 people who were all cussing and talking about VERY inappropriate things... I was very shocked when one of my friends (who didn't recognize me on my alt) started to join in... I think the filter deffinetly needs to be boosted... Something must be done...

Onaraasider
12-30-2011, 12:26 PM
I don't understand why you don't get muted if you drop the f bomb and leave out the u... Or say the four letter s word and leave out the I... I agree fully... I was in the Christmas town thingy with wounded and necro and there were 5-7 people who were all cussing and talking about VERY inappropriate things... I was very shocked when one of my friends (who didn't recognize me on my alt) started to join in... I think the filter deffinetly needs to be boosted... Something must be done...ty. i once saw kids talking about xxx videos,and left quick,becuz mom was right there.

Justg
12-30-2011, 12:31 PM
We need to add the abbreviations and work-arounds that people are now using. This certainly is not an excuse for their behavior... please report them and use /ignore!

NECROREAPER
12-30-2011, 01:49 PM
Thanks for the clarification G, ive had people say to me "well I'm not saying the word!!!" and when I tell them that we all know what they meant by it the retort with "well I still didn't actually say it," which techinically they didn't :/

All those shadow cave kooks need to have been banned months ago

WoundedEagle
12-30-2011, 02:16 PM
I don't understand why you don't get muted if you drop the f bomb and leave out the u... Or say the four letter s word and leave out the I... I agree fully... I was in the Christmas town thingy with wounded and necro and there were 5-7 people who were all cussing and talking about VERY inappropriate things... I was very shocked when one of my friends (who didn't recognize me on my alt) started to join in... I think the filter deffinetly needs to be boosted... Something must be done...
Isaac and I were reporting lots last night. And as many have said and I'll repeat, Father Frost is the new Shadow Caves towne. For now.

Onaraasider
12-30-2011, 02:21 PM
We need to add the abbreviations and work-arounds that people are now using. This certainly is not an excuse for their behavior... please report them and use /ignore!Good luck! there are thousands of workarounds and abbreviations.

Onaraasider
12-30-2011, 02:22 PM
...Father Frost is the new Shadow Caves towne. Is that why i never see santa claws there?

Roc
12-30-2011, 02:25 PM
If people were more eloquent with their insults/cursing then they might be more literate. I picked up a book called Shakespeare's Insults a while back and it's hilarious!

chuckman1234
12-30-2011, 02:31 PM
My mom won't let me chat with other peoples because there strangers ahhhhhh

Elysony
12-30-2011, 02:40 PM
Ona, thank you very much I was honestly going to post this today ! I was checking on it I had my whole thread haha if not it would have been tomorrow because this is insane . I see this all the time and if some of these teenagers even let their parents see 1 word of the stuff I see some say i'm sure the right parents would be very angry . It's quite insane I had a thread about people cursing on my PvP type thread and it's not just the cursing like you said it's just some stuff is very innapropriate . I have never cursed on this game or any other MMO in my life , not planning to ever, I'm very upset at what I hear when I'm questing or just hanging out at balefort . Please STS do something about the filter and Ona I have the same problem whenever i'm with my little, sister, brother ect . I usually will just go to a password game it's insane .

Thank you,
Elysony .

Onaraasider
12-30-2011, 02:46 PM
Ona, thank you very much I was honestly going to post this today ! I was checking on it I had my whole thread haha if not it would have been tomorrow because this is insane . I see this all the time and if some of these teenagers even let their parents see 1 word of the stuff I see some say i'm sure the right parents would be very angry . It's quite insane I had a thread about people cursing on my PvP type thread and it's not just the cursing like you said it's just some stuff is very innapropriate . I have never cursed on this game or any other MMO in my life , not planning to ever, I'm very upset at what I hear when I'm questing or just hanging out at balefort . Please STS do something about the filter and Ona I have the same problem whenever i'm with my little, sister, brother ect . I usually will just go to a password game it's insane .

Thank you,
Elysony .i have cursed and got muted at times when someone was making me very angry,like in pvp or being called a hacker when i was a low lvl,but now its worse like you said,i was going to make this a day or two a go but i didint feel like it

CrimsonTider
12-30-2011, 02:59 PM
This is precisely why I do not let my 12 y/o play. Too many work arounds using symbols and numbers and abbreviations which suggest the same. Add on the fact that nothing happens to those reported (I know tbis because I have seen the same person in pvp for 3 days in a row running his/her mouth), and you have an issue where the problem will only continue to rise.

Reporting and muting are nice but after that, there needs to be more affirmative action to reinforce the negative behaviors. I know it is difficult to sift through all the reports and chat logs, but the preventative measures are currently not solving the issue.

Hankomachos
12-30-2011, 03:17 PM
We need to add the abbreviations and work-arounds that people are now using. This certainly is not an excuse for their behavior... please report them and use /ignore!

I'm not sure if you're familiar with runescapes' filter system but it's great.

Take the eff bomb for example: it dosen't matter how many C's or U's you put in there, as long as those four letters are beside eachother, it comes out as stars. :)

That, would be a great system to adapt.

Swimmingstar
12-30-2011, 03:19 PM
There are people who swear once in a while, when they are really mad. It's the nature of people. People pour out their feelings when mad. It can't be contained. But when someone tries to turn every sentence into a sentence with as much swear words as possible, it's not right. It's also not right to swear everytime you lose a fight in PVP. This can't be completely washed out of Alterra, but people can control themselves. They can help stop it.

Elyseon
12-30-2011, 03:21 PM
some people are completely ignorant as well, they swear several times(getting around the filter), saying generally inappropriate things. when i say stuff to them, they dont understand that kids play the game or that they can get introuble/banned for saying these things

Buffedbear Pl
12-30-2011, 03:55 PM
Man I was PvPing and met this really rude char with a very dirty mouth. He uses about all the abbreviations and just trashes everyone. Then, he says I'm being bested by a 9 yr. old. It's not just Alterra; it's the current day and time. Kids are picking up everything from everywhere. The only place for them to unleash their arsenal of words is...virtual places. Places where they can't be identified as little kids. I'll edit if I have anything else to say...

AveFenix
12-30-2011, 04:28 PM
Hello everyone,

We have read your concerns and suggestions. They have been escalated.

Thank you, lets keep it clean :)

Cascade
12-30-2011, 04:51 PM
I don't know why the devs haven't added moderators yet.

Snakespeare
12-30-2011, 05:03 PM
If people were more eloquent with their insults/cursing then they might be more literate. I picked up a book called Shakespeare's Insults a while back and it's hilarious!

My favorite, from Timon of Athens... "Hail, idol of idiot worshippers!"

NECROREAPER
12-30-2011, 05:04 PM
There's a mod right above you, lol

Montanabro
12-30-2011, 05:06 PM
My mom won't let me chat with other peoples because there strangers ahhhhhh

She lets you post on forums though?

Zolum
12-30-2011, 11:46 PM
I completely agree with this thread. Kids have become so sneaky these days and I don't like it. I turned thirteen awile ago and learned some new words from my friends. I do not get where they hear them! Kids under my age cuss a lot. I know a few underaged playes that say bad stuff all the time. I think spacetime is doing the right thing by thing by cracking down on language. If I was a star guard, this game would be a little more clean.

lilywinters
12-31-2011, 01:35 AM
This is exactly why we need to be able to disable chat.

Practically every big MMO has this feature. I wonder why the developers have not performed.

ZAurbanSQWRL
12-31-2011, 01:51 AM
Agreed, ive seen so many dirty things said to others, and me, and i even almost got banned because my friend went on my account and said nasty stuff! Come on guys this is supposed to be a fun clean game, lets keep it that way shall we?

Onaraasider
12-31-2011, 02:42 AM
lol,i know kids that are 5 and curse me out!

Arterra
12-31-2011, 06:57 AM
as a AOA member I can see you probably have to deal with these kind of new players frequently... one thing made me laugh (a little, on the inside) though:

theses teens say things that ONLYadults should know about.

yea... most kids are joking around in playgrounds about topics like that from middle school, let alone teenagers watching pg13 - R movies... I am always amazed at how clueless people are about the social environment a kid faces xD
nobody over the age of, say, 10, does not know the definitions of things like "sex", "gay", and most swear words, at least from my experience in the Us, bits of south america and Europe.

THAT said... in all honesty from what I've seen of STS marketing ploy, they are AIMING IT at that age range. makes sense too, kids dont feel too bad about spending money in a game if they are able to. Also, I suspect that the kind of people that do searches in the appstores and google relating to "MMO game iphone/galaxy tab" are bored teenagers and young adults.

azebiuky
12-31-2011, 07:17 AM
When a dev called happyholidayz was online, this stupid kid started swearing infront of him in belfort. Santa was still and didn't say anything, so he was probably reporting that kid

Onaraasider
12-31-2011, 07:56 AM
When a dev called happyholidayz was online, this stupid kid started swearing infront of him in belfort. Santa was still and didn't say anything, so he was probably reporting that kidwhy didnt he put him on the naughty list?

Elysony
12-31-2011, 12:52 PM
This is exactly why we need to be able to disable chat.

Practically every big MMO has this feature. I wonder why the developers have not performed.
Devs please keep this post in mind I say we can just have a ' disable chat ' thing so you hear NOTHING because sometimes when i'm on a combo team it gets Annoying when I get PM's ect . Please keep this in mind it would work when you just don't want to hear curses to .