PDA

View Full Version : Forum Suggestion

Gavry
07-22-2010, 06:07 PM
I think it would be a good idea if forum post numbers and ranks were totally removed. There seems to be a massive proliferation of pointless threads and replys recently by certain people just to try and achieve some useless rank.

Unfortunatly the forum is becoming a massive spam/flame site and the jems are being lost in the crap.

Cascade
07-22-2010, 06:09 PM
Yeah your right....But...I don't know about getting rid of post counts and all that...Maybe the devs should just start banning people more.

Royce
07-22-2010, 06:09 PM
I agree 100%

KingFu
07-22-2010, 06:19 PM
I agree 100%

Agreed............

Cascade
07-22-2010, 06:20 PM
With me or gavry?

KingFu
07-22-2010, 06:21 PM
With me or gavry?

Neither........With Royce! :D

Cascade
07-22-2010, 06:23 PM
Lol well then who was royce agreeing too?

Royce
07-22-2010, 06:23 PM
With me or gavry?

I was agreeing with Gavry, but I also agree with you that post counts are probably not as problematic as ranks. Maybe keep the post counts but only display them on the member page (not on individual posts). That way if someone really wanted to see someone's activity level they could, but it wouldn't be a badge you'd have on each post.

Cascade
07-22-2010, 06:25 PM
Yeah agreed

Gavry
07-22-2010, 06:41 PM
I was agreeing with Gavry, but I also agree with you that post counts are probably not as problematic as ranks. Maybe keep the post counts but only display them on the member page (not on individual posts). That way if someone really wanted to see someone's activity level they could, but it wouldn't be a badge you'd have on each post.

That's probably a good compromise. Anything that stops useless posts and threads is a good thing. Some recently replys to threads more than two months dead is a good example of how bad it has gotten.

Cascade
07-22-2010, 06:43 PM
Yeah I noticed that...Liquent or whatever his name is was spamming the heck out of dead forums...

Banned
07-22-2010, 06:46 PM
Fully agree. I'd rather not have certain people revive dead threads for the sake of recognition. All it does is simply create an object of distraction from the important posts that offer some form of useful knowledge.

FluffNStuff
07-22-2010, 06:50 PM
Others have done the same. He is the most blatant though. MMOG draws those looking for special tags or 'achievements' that distinguish themselves from others. As Justg spelled out with his Jedi Fight Club post if there is a shortcut to get there it will be exploited. This 'senior/junior' post is just another achievement. Lose it or there will be more.

Royce
07-22-2010, 07:42 PM
Others have done the same. He is the most blatant though. MMOG draws those looking for special tags or 'achievements' that distinguish themselves from others. As Justg spelled out with his Jedi Fight Club post if there is a shortcut to get there it will be exploited. This 'senior/junior' post is just another achievement. Lose it or there will be more.

Spoken like a true senior member ;)

Royce
08-05-2010, 07:50 AM
Just wanted to provide the latest piece of evidence that this would be a very good idea: http://www.spacetimestudios.com/showthread.php?5179-become-a-senior-member&p=50660#post50660
Yes, a thread created explicitly for posting repeated nonsense to attain senior member status. On a related note, can we please have post count disabled in the off-topic forum, and maybe traders market forum as well?

Fabz
08-05-2010, 07:58 AM
I agree totally. Whats the point of bumping 200 posts just to raise in forum rank? Just silly..

Spiritualist
08-05-2010, 08:37 AM
Unless I'm mistaken, most forum software - and I think vBulletin is included - has the ability to to ignore posts made in certain forum sections from being including in the post count. So for example, many forums set their Off Topic area to be excluded from post counts and rank increases. That might help, and certainly spam-type, useless posts have no place in non-Off Topic areas and should be removed by moderators.