PDA

View Full Version : All str or how about some dex?

Tavore
07-22-2010, 10:36 PM
Well I have a lvl 12 bear and I have 55 str and the rest into dex which isn't much. I read that it's good to split them so you have good health and good damage+dodge. Should I go pure tank and all into str or is it a good idea to have both. If so how much should I put in each?

Also leveling up is pretty boring... I can never find a good group anywhere and I'm wondering if any of you might want to help me level. I was never crazy about power leveling though and maybe you guys have a noob and would like to kill stuff together.

Anyways thanks in advance.

-Rexon
07-25-2010, 12:31 AM
Definitely some into Dex. This is because if you go all Strength, you are going to miss a LOT. Your hit% hardly goes up when you upgrade Strength so you at least need SOME dexterity. Also your dodge and critical goes up which is a bonus. For me I rose my Strength to use those level 10 Strength weapons and now I'm going all Dex because range > melee.

Gavry
07-25-2010, 01:58 AM
As a pure tank you need dex. I always follow the standard tank rule:

16 Int for the 1M/s
Str to what I need for my current equipment. Around 145 at 45th
Rest in Dex. Dex makes a massive difference for Dodge and Crit

LIGHTNINGLORD67
07-25-2010, 02:07 AM
As a pure tank you need dex. I always follow the standard tank rule:

16 Int for the 1M/s
Str to what I need for my current equipment. Around 145 at 45th
Rest in Dex. Dex makes a massive difference for Dodge and Crit

Isn't the int supposed to be 11 for it to be 1m/s?

Gavry
07-25-2010, 04:36 AM
11 as an enchat need 16 for a bear

maneut
07-25-2010, 07:53 AM
Isn't the int supposed to be 11 for it to be 1m/s?

We bears are a little bit thick headed... we need 16 to get the message ;)

Barbamitsos
07-25-2010, 08:26 AM
How much on birds? Tell me Tell me

Royce
07-25-2010, 09:19 AM
How much on birds? Tell me Tell me
I'm fairly sure that's 16 too.

I also want to add that for a tank, 16 Int is great up until about level 40, then you really don't need it because of Thoth. I don't recommend all Thoth for a Tank (though at 40 it might be the best choice since AO1 gear options are limited), but beyond that wearing 1 Thoth and 3 Isis gives you tons of armor, dodge, H/s, and all the M/s you will likely need.

BeardedBear
07-25-2010, 09:58 AM
Unless you plan on respeccing later on, those points wasted on INT will hurt you at higher levels because of the massive M/S regen items available.

Kingofthebear
07-25-2010, 10:18 AM
I don't see how those 16 points are worth 1 m/s when you can load up on thoth gear. You can even skate by with just one in most cases. I'd much rather just throw my extra points into dex.

Royce
07-25-2010, 11:12 AM
I don't see how those 16 points are worth 1 m/s when you can load up on thoth gear. You can even skate by with just one in most cases. I'd much rather just throw my extra points into dex.

I agree. Though I think it's super-helpful to have some mana regen early on (up though the swamps/skeller), you can also get 1 M/s from equipping a piece of "Croc's" gear, which are orange, so not that hard to come by. I also don't liquidate mine, so I have a bunch if anyone wants...
Anyway, I went the 16 Int route, and respec'd it out at 40, which is no big deal with respecs as cheap as they are (plus many people want to respec when they cap, or come close, anyway), so I'd say either way is fine.

I gotta say I don't understand the reason behind 1 M/s at level 45. To tank effectively and hold aggro at all, you have to use skills fairly frequently, and you will be drinking a lot of pots whether you have 1 M/s or not.

Edit: BTW, for the sake of honesty (and in case anyone sees my tank in town ;) ), I do currently have 8 points in Int. It was an experiment to see if the 1 M/s I get from that plus the 8 Int my Thoth helm gives was worthwhile, but I'm not sure it is...

Tavore
07-25-2010, 01:31 PM
Well I'm 44 right now and I have to respec to get rid of some useless skills. What skills do you guys recommend? I will go 145 in str and the rest in dex. Right now I have lvl 40 full Thoth and is amazing by the way haha.

Royce
07-25-2010, 01:34 PM
Well I'm 44 right now and I have to respec to get rid of some useless skills. What skills do you guys recommend? I will go 145 in str and the rest in dex. Right now I have lvl 40 full Thoth and is amazing by the way haha.
You only need 142 points in Str for level 45 gear.
Skills: I recommend maxing Stomp, Rage, SMS, Iron Blood, Hell Scream, Evade, and Beckon. I also have taunt maxed, though the buff gained by spending points there is fairly weak, it's also free in terms of mana ;).

Tavore
07-25-2010, 04:02 PM
You only need 142 points in Str for level 45 gear.
Skills: I recommend maxing Stomp, Rage, SMS, Iron Blood, Hell Scream, Evade, and Beckon. I also have taunt maxed, though the buff gained by spending points there is fairly weak, it's also free in terms of mana ;).

Thanks for the info, I appreciate it.

Dragon
07-26-2010, 03:18 AM
it's actually useless having 1 m/s. it's much better to spend the 15 points elsewhere, like strength or dex.

Duke
07-29-2010, 07:18 AM
I've recently started a bear, got it up to level 15, trying to go for tanking primarily, DPS secondary. So far, I've put all points in STR -- I assume that I should start switching at least some to DEX, and if so, what rate should I split STR/DEX points from here?

kavanah
07-29-2010, 12:02 PM
I've recently started a bear, got it up to level 15, trying to go for tanking primarily, DPS secondary. So far, I've put all points in STR -- I assume that I should start switching at least some to DEX, and if so, what rate should I split STR/DEX points from here?

I just kept an eye on items I wanted to use as leveling up and made sure I had about 5 str over that item. Sometimes it requires a little math. If you are lvl 20 and have 60 str, but need 90 str to use your level 30 sword, then you know you need to dump 3 points into str each level and dump the other 2 into dex.

Mr2hitk0
07-29-2010, 07:05 PM

Put 142 str and rest in dex. Trust me 142 is best because it's the most you'll need for any gear.

Sex
07-30-2010, 01:53 AM
it might not be exactly 142 because some items can give you stats.

bladesword
07-30-2010, 05:10 AM
Lol..... your username..

Raxie
07-30-2010, 06:15 AM
i think only enough for 100% hit rate. i've seen some tankers just go pure strength and it is pretty funny because they miss so much. you definitely need some in dex so you actually don't miss and do some damage.

kavanah
07-30-2010, 05:04 PM
You only need 1 thoth item at the moment. I run with 3 isis and 1 thoth. The 8pts going into dex or str are extremely trivial. I'd rather up my mana regen by another 14%, but thats just me hehe.

Edit: And yes I do go out of mana from time to time while spamming all my skills and really hate having to use a mana potion or two while spamming all my other skills and health pots here and there.

reality_storm
07-31-2010, 12:57 AM
I disagree, I have a build that requires three Thoth items, the forth I go with Isis. I have at least one point in every skill and when you skill spam, the mana regeneration of one Thoth item is quickly overwhelmed, especially in AO2 and Swamps where the mobs mana drain.

kavanah
07-31-2010, 09:20 AM
I disagree, I have a build that requires three Thoth items, the forth I go with Isis. I have at least one point in every skill and when you skill spam, the mana regeneration of one Thoth item is quickly overwhelmed, especially in AO2 and Swamps where the mobs mana drain.

I'm not sure who you are disagreeing with, if its me then thats cool hehe. But Thoth just doesn't give good enough tanking stats to wear more than 1 piece. And rarely do I have to hit a few pots up, in which case I'm glad I have that extra 1 m/s.

reality_storm
08-01-2010, 02:39 PM
I'm not sure who you are disagreeing with, if its me then thats cool hehe. But Thoth just doesn't give good enough tanking stats to wear more than 1 piece. And rarely do I have to hit a few pots up, in which case I'm glad I have that extra 1 m/s.

I was disagreeing with the idea that you only need one Thoth. Granted Isis gives you better armor class, but I find myself infinitely more survivable if I can just skill spam every button as they pop without ever worrying about mana. Mixing and matching I have discovered that on maps with mana drain, three Thoth seems to be that level of man regen where I never need to use a mana pot. This only works if your build is like mine--i.e. every skill has at least one point in it. I have seen effective builds with no Thoth pieces, however I was simply stating that a general blanket statement that a bear only needs one Thoth piece is not a universal truth, no offense intended.

Boonce
08-15-2010, 03:32 AM
As tank: str for gear. Rest in dex.

Pretty simple! :)