PDA

View Full Version : Think before u report!!!

Onaraasider
01-07-2012, 08:56 AM
You know how when u see someone doing something like saying selling plat or trading item for plat. When you saw that, did u stop to think if they knew what they were doing was wrong? Most of you would probably say no but it is important that u start thinking if they know what they are doing is wrong or the consequences.
Today when I was helping ninjaduck lvl up,a person joined our game,he was lvl 11 and seemed like a normal new player, but then all of a sudden he said " u give me money,I gve u plat." Qxn(ninjaduck) immediately started shouting "report! Reported!(nothing wrong with this, the average person would would yell report,duh!)"I told ninja duck not to report him,knowing he didn't report yet,becuz most people bluff when they first say reported. And then I talked with the player. I told him what he was doing was wrong and could get him banned forever from the game, when I told him that,he got upset, and thought I could ban him forever and begged me not to ban him, then Ninjaduck came in with advice and said just play the game, don't sell plat. After that I helped him out and he seemed pretty cool.

JaytB
01-07-2012, 09:21 AM
Although I agree with you, why would someone say they will give you plat for gold when they don't even know if it's possible or not? Got to admit it sounds very fishy.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's good to talk with a person before mindlessly reporting them. On the other hand, only devs can trace back if someone actually tried to scam or not, or if this person repeats trying to scam even after acting all innocent. So one could argue that it's safer to report before they actually ruin the game for an innocent/unknowingly player.

Personally, I'd play along a bit and see if it ends up with the player asking for your account and password, so he/she could 'give' you the plat (read: empty your account), because in most cases this is exactly how these things turn out when saying you're interested (in my own experience anyway).

ninjaduck
01-07-2012, 09:40 AM
You know how when u see someone doing something like saying selling plat or trading item for plat. When you saw that, did u stop to think if they knew what they were doing was wrong? Most of you would probably say no but it is important that u start thinking if they know what they are doing is wrong or the consequences.
Today when I was helping ninjaduck lvl up,a person joined our game,he was lvl 11 and seemed like a normal new player, but then all of a sudden he said " u give me money,I gve u plat." Qxn(ninjaduck) immediately started shouting "report! Reported!"I told ninja duck not to report him,knowing he didn't report yet,becuz most people bluff when they first say reported. And then I talked with the player. I told him what he was doing was wrong and could get him banned forever from the game, when I told him that,he got upset, and thought I could ban him forever and begged me not to ban him, then Ninjaduck came in with advice and said just play the game, don't sell plat. After that I helped him out and he seemed pretty cool.

Oh sorry for that, didnt know you would take it badly. After all that unlimitedplat.com stuff I was thinking he may have been connected.

again, sorry :)

Onaraasider
01-07-2012, 10:05 AM
Oh sorry for that, didnt know you would take it badly. After all that unlimitedplat.com stuff I was thinking he may have been connected.

again, sorry :)Lol what are u apologizing for?I was just telling the story,hehe(do yea tme to take ur name out)?

ninjaduck
01-07-2012, 10:06 AM
Lol what are u apologizing for?I was just telling the story,hehe(do yea tme to take ur name out)?

Nah its alright, better i I learn from mistakes 0.0

Onaraasider
01-07-2012, 10:07 AM
Nah its alright, better i I learn from mistakes 0.0I still don't get what u mean

ninjaduck
01-07-2012, 10:09 AM
I still don't get what u mean

nevermind :)

PS: you want to farm some DF1 pinks with achershelp and Qxn?

Onaraasider
I didnt take it harsh,I just remember when pandar told us his story about how someone new had an innapropriate name and he told him he should change it,and ended up helping him out,sorta like what I did.

Onaraasider
nevermind :)

PS: you want to farm some DF1 pinks with achershelp and Qxn?
Ps:now?

ninjaduck
01-07-2012, 10:11 AM
I didnt take it harsh,I just remember when pandar told us his story about how someone new had an innapropriate name and he told him he should change it,and ended up helping him out,sorta like what I did.
Yeah, you were so awesome to help him out, that was true Ambassador attitude :D

Onaraasider
01-07-2012, 10:11 AM
Read original post updated

ninjaduck
01-07-2012, 10:14 AM
Yipee! So how about that farming?

Onaraasider
01-07-2012, 10:15 AM
Yipee! So how about that farming?I'm on now for a few

ninjaduck
01-07-2012, 10:15 AM
YAY!

Kahlua
01-07-2012, 10:27 AM
Let me do a walkthrough of what happened:

1. Person A tries a scam.
2. Person B calls Person A out on the scam.
3. Person A goes into panic mode when faced with an Ambassador thinking they're a developer.
4. Person A all of a sudden didn't know what he was doing was wrong.

You see thus stuff all the time in real life. People will try to mess up your day until caught, and then all of a sudden "they didn't know any better."
It's like with kids and violent video games. Kid finds his dads gun and shoots his friend in the face, says he doesn't know any better and blames videogames.

ninjaduck
01-07-2012, 11:12 AM
You see thus stuff all the time in real life. People will try to mess up your day until caught, and then all of a sudden "they didn't know any better."
It's like with kids and violent video games. Kid finds his dads gun and shoots his friend in the face, says he doesn't know any better and blames videogames.

That is the analogy of all analogies. :D

Hankomachos
01-07-2012, 11:29 AM
I'm to lazy to read the comments so i apologize if I repeat anything:

Forgive me ona, but I disagree with everything you said. It's not my fault the person being reported failed to read THE ToS. Therefore, if they don't want to read ToS, I don't mind reporting.
Think of it as a lesson learned on their part.
My 2c

ninjaduck
01-07-2012, 12:03 PM

Forgive me ona, but I disagree with everything you said. It's not my fault the person being reported failed to read THE ToS. Therefore, if they don't want to read ToS, I don't mind reporting.
My 2c

To be honest, I couldnt agree more :P

Artentreri
01-07-2012, 12:07 PM

3. Person A goes into panic mode when faced with an Ambassador thinking they're a developer.

Ive played doom since it came out for pc ( I was about 6 at the time ) and still knew to not even think about touching my dad's gun case. About the player I gotta say I get where you're coming from Ona, I just gotta say I probably would have called him a scammer, then told him to stop or I'd report. So yeah, I guess I should take the time to see if they really are just a noob and don't know any better.

Onaraasider
01-07-2012, 12:07 PM

It's like with kids and violent video games. Kid finds his dads gun and shoots his friend in the face, says he doesn't know any better and blames videogames. I was on main,and I'm talking about the ones that look like new players,lol

Onaraasider
01-07-2012, 12:09 PM

My 2cI didn't read the ToS when I was a newbie, I skipped right to game,lol, I still haven't read the ToS,it is basically the same for every game

Onaraasider
01-07-2012, 12:20 PM

1. Person A tries a scam.Ok,then person A mig not be aware of scam
2. Person B calls Person A out on the scam.Person B can choose to tell the player what they are doing is wrong
3. Person A goes into panic mode when faced with an Ambassador thinking they're a developer.As I said,I was on my main, and he still thought me and ninjaduck could ban him
4. Person A all of a sudden didn't know what he was doing was wrong.Of course he knows he was doing something wrong, he didn't know he could get banned forever for it

It's like with kids and violent video games. Kid finds his dads gun and shoots his friend in the face, says he doesn't know any better and blames videogameWhat kid would blame it on video games?they live to play video games and would lose it if they blamed video games.there is my argument

CrimsonTider
01-07-2012, 12:52 PM
A few thoughts....

1. Hank is right: whether or not you read the ToS when you start is not the point. When you start an account, you are agreeing to the fact you HAVE read the ToS. So technically, noone has an excuse in not knowing essential facets of the game.

2. Just because you and ND talked to him doesn't mean he didn't join another game and do the same thing. Whne you play an MMO the size of PL/SL's community, you are going to run accross individauls who are "false": say one thing and do another. I don't know how many times I have explained something to someone, left a towne to join another, and see that person doing the same thing I just explained was frowned upon or against ToS.

I agree with you that we shouldn't be trigger happy with the report button. But I disagree in the whole ToS argument and suggest you take a few minutes to read it through.

Onaraasider
01-07-2012, 01:06 PM
A few thoughts....

1. Hank is right: whether or not you read the ToS when you start is not the point. When you start an account, you are agreeing to the fact you HAVE read the ToS. So technically, noone has an excuse in not knowing essential facets of the game.

2. Just because you and ND talked to him doesn't mean he didn't join another game and do the same thing. Whne you play an MMO the size of PL/SL's community, you are going to run accross individauls who are "false": say one thing and do another. I don't know how many times I have explained something to someone, left a towne to join another, and see that person doing the same thing I just explained was frowned upon or against ToS.

I agree with you that we shouldn't be trigger happy with the report button. But I disagree in the whole ToS argument and suggest you take a few minutes to read it through.I know everything ur saying,and they are all good arguments,it's just not fair everyone's against what I'm saying, but the guy that came in our game he looked completely noobish,he didn't even know how to use skills,u could say he was lying and acting but I have him in mynfriend list and sometimes spy on him from my other characters,just to mak sure he doesn't do what he did,he does things like begging,but that's normal for a new player

Onaraasider
01-07-2012, 01:07 PM
Also, did u explain to that playr who was doing the frowned upon thing,that he/she could be banned forever?

Artentreri
01-07-2012, 01:09 PM
Yeah, not always in such a polite manner though.

ninjaduck
01-07-2012, 01:09 PM
I agree Ona, I had a chat with the guy even though his english is not the best. He seemed like the average new player. You were very cool to lend him some items, hes already crafted a hat and lvled to 11! I think he was unclear on methods of obtaining gold, because, even for core merchants, its not THAT easy.

Pathologyx
01-07-2012, 01:23 PM
Is it not in the T&A that selling plat is against the rules?

Maybe just refer them to that next time.

ninjaduck
01-07-2012, 01:34 PM
Is it not in the T&A that selling plat is against the rules?

Maybe just refer them to that next time.

Yes, but selling plat will include sharing account information, which is against TOS and is perma-banned if anyone does it.

Epic Unicorns!
01-07-2012, 01:50 PM
I think when you makes an account, it should make you read the ToS and tell you consequences, so someone can't say they didn't know.

Kahlua
01-07-2012, 02:51 PM
there is my argument

You missed the satire (is that the word Im looking for?) in my post. Of course they knew they were doing something wrong. Hmm let's see...plat isn't tradeable...telling people you'll give plat for money...follow through with the scam if the person falls for it...become naive if they don't.

All I'm saying is, you've gotta be careful with people in general. It's easy to say "oh ok I didn't know" when you get caught doing something wrong. Some people may be sincere, some may just be covering their six

XghostzX
01-07-2012, 02:59 PM
On one hand yes, it's nice to tell the player the consequences that will come if this happens. On the other hand, any matured enough kid (10 or over, STS rules i think) would know that earning plat costs real currency as gold in game is just virtual. In any type of MMORPG this would go against the rules.

Gaddy
01-07-2012, 03:12 PM
I can't even count how many times I've heard someone who was begging me say: " I report U ! "

I get a little chuckle every time :)

NECROREAPER
01-07-2012, 03:56 PM
Breaking the TOS is breaking the TOS is breaking the TOS, regardless of "knowing" the rules or not.

When you get busted for committing a crime, you have to deal with the consequences, regardless of whether or not you knew what the crime was or knew you were committing it.

Silentarrow
01-07-2012, 04:00 PM
Does anyone read the TOS before registering?

It seems like people in the app reviews are always complaining about getting banned for breaking major points in the TOS :).

NECROREAPER
01-07-2012, 04:04 PM
I did.

I've made it a habit to actually read the rules of things before I join them to save myself some possible greif later on down the road.

Qqqxxxzzz
01-07-2012, 04:07 PM
Does anyone read the TOS before registering?

I didn't :D

Siejo
01-07-2012, 04:43 PM
I think when you makes an account, it should make you read the ToS and tell you consequences, so someone can't say they didn't know.

I suggested this a while back right here: http://www.spacetimestudios.com/showthread.php?35127-Terms-of-Service

I also have posted it on my guild's website in multiple places.

FluffNStuff
01-07-2012, 04:54 PM
If the kid was cursing or doing something inappropriate, then maybe warn him, but trying to sell plat is to dangerous to overlook. As one who knows he is scamming, report him before he tries it on someone who doesn't.
And of course he said he did not know it was wrong, he thought he was getting busted. Way to embolden him by not reporting. I am sure his next victim will thank you.

Zombiemurder
01-07-2012, 05:04 PM
It's a big thing to think a little before saying that's wrong or hacker report him.

My example: awhile back wen 30 was the cap I was on numa base jokin with ppl there wen this level 5 comes on and shows us his like 20 vanities and almost everyone reports try's to tell a dev or something and me and some1 else r like umm ya know he could've transferred items from another account plus there r many plat vanities so he could be rich too I mean really think first then report if u think its nessacary

Redbridge
01-07-2012, 05:09 PM
It's commendable that you felt the need to offer a supportive option to reporting but faced with the same scenario, I'd have allowed ninja to report and probably have done the same.....

THEN.... would have done the 'discussion' thing but my motivation wouldn't have been to "see" if they were nice. It would have been to prevent the person ruining anyone else's game. I'm just here to have fun and share having fun with others. If other players think trying to sell plat is part of the game then let STS investigate and decide whether they need to take any further action. I don't mind briefly letting them know it's against the terms and why.

Regarding whether they were genuine or not really isn't my call. If i see it going down it's generally reported...

Don't get me wrong, I've diffused hundred of flame wars and have the logs to prove it but scamming, is scamming, is scamming and there could have been lots of attempts on other players previous to your encounter that you have seen, so therefore aren't able to put it into any context. Reporting allows STS to see if it was an isolated innocent incident or whether there is actually a much bigger issue.

Report, leave to STS, move on and have fun. Safe & fun environment for all is my vote (as is reasonably possible, this isn't toytownandfluffybunnyrabbitland).

FluffNStuff
01-07-2012, 05:43 PM
My post was a little harsh, and I don't know why I did not mention this then, but it was mostly due to guilt. Back in April I was trying to buy a custom recurve for quite a bit of gold and I attracted this scammer. He said he had it, but it was on another account and he wanted me to pay this account then would get it. Pretty typical scam, but I played a long for a while till I got board and left. He seemed harmless enough, so i did not report him, but added him to my friends list to keep an eye out. About a week later, someone on the forum starts posting about getting his account stolen by a scammer who offered to log into his account and buy him plat. As soon as he posted the name of the scammer, I recognized it immediately and felt awful. Perhaps I could have stopped this, as guarding naive players from these scammers is something I felt was part of my 'title'.
So for this reason, I ask that anyone wise enough to recognize a scammer when they see it to report them immediately. You might not stop them from harming your fellow players, but at least you know you won't have the jaw dropping punch in the gut I had when you realize what you could have done.

Artentreri
01-07-2012, 05:58 PM
Bottom line for me is, I didn't know how awesome/in-depth/thought out/big this game was until I downloaded it. I figured it was just another addicting game, so of course I didn't take 20 minutes to read through that. Once I did see how insanely awesome the game was I was too concerned with playing it to read anything about it. That being said it's kind of a given that you can't sell plat, share accounts, etc.

Onaraasider
01-07-2012, 06:24 PM
If someone tells a cop that they were thinking of robbing a bank,the cop would tell them not to do that and explain the consquences and would set the defence on the bank just in case

Onaraasider
01-07-2012, 06:40 PM
None of you are understanding me,the main. Thing I'm trying to say is that before u tell them the consequences, if they are someone named named free plat or hack plat, I would report ASAP.
I decided to do this becuz of pandars story with helping someone with an innapropriate name

Hankomachos
01-07-2012, 06:48 PM
I'd rather report a scammer than tell him he's wrong, and have him leave town, join a new instance, and scam someone out of their account.

If he knows he's wrong, he's worth reporting.
If he doesn't know he's wrong, then it's his own fault for not reading the terms of service.

Btw, your analogy doesn't apply. A police officer would make an arrest if someone told him that they were going to rob a bank.

zappaxe
01-07-2012, 06:55 PM
I'm srry ona but when u said "if he looks like hes new" ur wrong. See scammers will scam,get reported than make a new account and scam again and on and on. That's what makes them seem like confused newbies :) if they took the time to lvl and get good gear why risk their account? Hope u understand. Pls feel free to point out a flaw in my logic :]

Zappaxe

KingFu
01-07-2012, 06:57 PM
If someone tells a cop that they were thinking of robbing a bank,the cop would tell them not to do that and explain the consquences and would set the defence on the bank just in case

Not if the crime has already begun to take place. Also, I doubt the cop would tell him the consequences and walk away, he'd handcuff the person for being a threat. I used to warn people before reporting, and most would say "Oh, okay sry" and go do it in another town. Too risky to let em walk away as Fluff said.

FluffNStuff
01-07-2012, 07:28 PM
None of you are understanding me,the main. Thing I'm trying to say is that before u tell them the consequences, if they are someone named named free plat or hack plat, I would report ASAP.
I decided to do this becuz of pandars story with helping someone with an innapropriate name

Inappropriate name is a much different story, and unless it is racist, I don't see that as this serious. There is a huge difference between reporting someone for doing something that would offend players versus something that would harm players. These scams have serious financial impacts on players and can really hurt.
Now as to your analogy, this is more like someone walking up to an undercover cop and trying to sell them drugs. You better believe the cop is going to arrest the person on the spot to keep him from selling to others.

Onaraasider
01-07-2012, 08:34 PM
I'm srry ona but when u said "if he looks like hes new" ur wrong. See scammers will scam,get reported than make a new account and scam again and on and on. That's what makes them seem like confused newbies :) if they took the time to lvl and get good gear why risk their account? Hope u understand. Pls feel free to point out a flaw in my logic :]

Zappaxei know what they look like,but there is a difference, a scammer will have no clothes at all maybe beginner bow,this guy had normal clothing for a "noob"

Onaraasider
01-07-2012, 08:35 PM
whatever, not the response i expected from everyone, from now on i will ask new players trying to scam if they know what they're are doing even if u think it is wrong.

Suentous PO
01-07-2012, 09:19 PM
Sorry if some of seem harsh or if this was an altogether undesirable reaction from us, Onaraasider. I have taken a calmer approach at times & mentioned " hey that's illegal didja know ?", maybe was or wasn't the best thing to do , dunno.
I can tell you when we were trying to shut down "studios" he both acted ignorant and outright said "no your wrong" when we corrected him. I have just seen too many scammers lately who obviously make new toons when I've tell them wrong from right , then switched town & seen them do it again on the same or another toon with the same quickchat.
But I hear ya , your saying use Your judgment feel things out and maybe give the benefit of the doubt, right?
I do side more with the report sooner rather than maybe be sorry, and the reason I say that is I trust and know the devs can access all chats and if I'm wrong nothing bad will happen to them. I also assume if I abuse the report button I will hear about it.
Cheers

Aikiebo
01-07-2012, 09:25 PM
I do side more with the report sooner rather than maybe be sorry, and the reason I say that is I trust and know the devs can access all chats and if I'm wrong nothing bad will happen to them. I also assume if I abuse the report button I will hear about it.
Cheers

I tend to agree.

The other day, in FH, someone was spamming, "will give you one plat for a sword". So, I'm thinking, hmm... So, to play along with him just to get more info, I asked him how he was going to give me a plat. He thought about and said he didn't know. So, I just assumed that he was just too new and didn't know about the plat rules. So, I explained it all to him. He said thanks, and that was that. But, now I'm thinking maybe I should have reported it just in case - while fully explaining that it was prob not a scam - but letting the devs have the option to look into if they wanted to.

CrimsonTider
01-07-2012, 09:28 PM
whatever, not the response i expected from everyone, from now on i will ask new players trying to scam if they know what they're are doing even if u think it is wrong.

And this is not the response I expect from someone who represents the community. My suggestion is you lock the thread since you are getting upset and not getting the results you desire.

Aikiebo
01-07-2012, 10:37 PM

And this is not the response I expect from someone who represents the community. My suggestion is you lock the thread since you are getting upset and not getting the results you desire.

I don't think anyone is getting upset. Certainly, no reason to.

The hybrid approach is a good idea, Onaraasider, I like it. If someone really doesn seem new, it is an excellent idea to take a couple of minutes and explain to them why whatever they are doing is wrong.

If you don't they might still just keep doing it. And why should a dev take the time out to explain what is right.

However, some actually scammers are going to fake being new until they find out if someone is just trying to get info to report them. That is why, it is probably a good idea to also report them. Explaining that you tried to explain the rules.

Then the devs could look at the guy's chat logs before and after your conversation. They will be able to tell if he is an inncoent new player or a scammer.

In other words, it's a good idea to do both. If the person is an innocent newb, you have just helped him and the game a whole lot. But, if he was trying to fool you and is actually a scammer, your reporting him will also help others and the game.

FluffNStuff
01-07-2012, 10:57 PM

Sorry if we are not responding as you would like, but your post/advice can cause serious harm, and I hope it does not convince others to do the same. Account scammers are not the same as offensive tos breakers, and doing anything but hitting the report ('go' lions, just scored) button is hurting your fellow players.

kallima
01-07-2012, 11:24 PM
I would much rather err on the side of caution here. I do take the time to explain offensive names, prevent spamming etc but when rl money is involved and innocent peeps can be hurt - an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

edit: Ignorance of the law does not exempt you from it. Could not edit title.

NECROREAPER
01-07-2012, 11:59 PM
Think about it this way:

Instead of instantly reporting the potential scammer, you let him slide and warn him that he's doing is wrong. Well unfortunately enough, this person does turn out to be a scammer (or even possibly a new one who isn't that "good" at it yet) and instead of reporting and getting him banned which could potentially help save many players, you let him slide with a warning. Well what that warning did was alert him to the fact that there are a lot of people out there who are watching for scammers and won't be so nice as to give him a warning. Because of this, now the scammer will lay low and Pm people to scam them instead of shouting it out in the open.

So because of this you made a scammer harder to catch.

Aikiebo
01-08-2012, 03:04 AM
Now as to your analogy, this is more like someone walking up to an undercover cop and trying to sell them drugs. You better believe the cop is going to arrest the person on the spot to keep him from selling to others.

Actually, that is not likely at all.

Breaking the TOS is breaking the TOS is breaking the TOS, regardless of "knowing" the rules or not.

Agree, whole heartedly.

When you get busted for committing a crime, you have to deal with the consequences, regardless of whether or not you knew what the crime was or knew you were committing it.

The problem with any analogy to real-life police actions is that one we not supposed to be talking about real-life politics.

And, yeah, I know where you're coming from with the ignorance is no excuse idea, but the fact is in real life, all kinds of concessions are made for people. I'm not saying that good or bad, I'm just saying it is a major every day occurence. And, that is the 2nd reason that analogies to real-life law enforcement not a good idea.

If anyone is suggesting that scammers, especially, account scammers, shouldn't be reported, well, no, that is a major mistake. If op is saying that, then, um.. yeah, I would have to disagree. The hybrid approach to scammers is good, for several reasons.

But, prob less so with account scammers. I thought we were talking about scammers in general.

But, in general, the hybrid approach is much better than simply hitting report.

Of course, then, I mean only if someone has time to try to help. People don't always have that time. I would be a major hypocrite and liar if I said, that I always take the time to educate before I report. No, sure, many times yes, But, sometimes, I just don't have time. Or they just so annoying, they get on my nerves at bit, lol.

But, no one needs to be all upset with the op. He is just trying to help. Telling him your opinons is good. But no reason to be upset.

Redbridge
01-08-2012, 03:19 AM

i know what they look like,but there is a difference, a scammer will have no clothes at all maybe beginner bow,this guy had normal clothing for a "noob"

Hey Ona, I know it's difficult when people disagree with somethink you think is a good idea, but please read over the responses and try to understand the genuine reasons why some of the very experienced players have written what they have. Also remember they are only people's opinions we're all allowed to have different opinions which is what makes life so rich.

I fully understand your intentions. Supporting players & turning around awkward situations/issues between players in private is probably one of the main contributing factors why I was awarded the GoA award, and I pride myself on my supportive approach so I really do understand your motivation on this.

But, consider these;

Reporting someone doesn't ban another player. It just allows STS to check a players log/trade/account history to check for any wrong doing. Also will allow them to monitor them if they think there could be some future issues. If they are clean STS don't do anything to the reporter or reportee.

Apparently innocent potential scams, can very easily be 'hidden' by very clever players. In their very nature scammers will always attempt to hide behind a veil of deception and appear to be something they are not. If there is ever any possible scams, regardless if in your judgement they seem innocent, we all have a duty to highlight it to STS to allow them to check/protect all players if it's needed.

Helping any player to better understand any aspect of the game, regardless of whether they are a potential scammer or not is generally time well spent and hopefully will improve that players enjoyment/prospects in the game.

So my view is still, if I see a potential scam occurring I will normally report 1st, be cautious/mindful if considering interacting with said player and then highlight the potential issue briefly/politely to them and see where the conversation goes. It normally goes nicely and some good stuff comes from it afterwards. But I've no knowledge of their previous/future interactions.

I really hope that helps, but as always feel free to give me a nudge if needed. If you are really concerned then consider sending a PM to Samhayne/Pandar for their take on the matter.

This is a really useful thread. Well done for posting it. Some great exchange of ideas/opinions.

Good Luck buddy.

javier995
01-08-2012, 03:24 AM
Wise words from the forumers. Wise words, wise words indeed.

Just one thing to add to the mix, I'm just responding to the title OK lol! I do think before i report, i think which report it should go under, and what i should say the report is for. Logically (is that the word that would best fit here or is it technically?) I do think before i report:)

zeusabe
01-08-2012, 05:22 AM
Disagree, with your limited and constrained ability to acquire knowledge, not only is it not your job to filter what to report and what not to report provided the actual act violated a policy strictly speaking, but you do not have the capability to determine a particular player's motive accurately unless the player deliberately attempts to scam i.e. the freeplatinum website. Anybody can pretend to not know, but remember ignorance is not above the law whether in-game or out. However, the devs can trace all the logs of a reported player, in other words, you will report and be a catalyst for an investigation which will result to the devs diving deeper into the logs. The cliche guilty until proven is still practiced, I think, as far as reporting system so it doesn't mean that a reported person is 100% in the wrong, an investigation will take place. It's quite simple really. Let the system work, by making that excuse that is not even proven to be valid given your inability to determine whether that particular player you were talking about really was a newbie or was just pretending, you are suggesting the game to compromise its security.