PDA

View Full Version : New player with a question

wholefnshow555
01-08-2012, 09:11 AM
Hey everyone. I just started playing a week or so ago. I have been reading the forums alot to make sure I know what to do or what to wear. So by reading the forums I learned that the best thing i can wear at 25 is the sunwalker set. I managed to be able to afford the set and I was wondering about how long will it last me and what set should I look at getting next. Thanks!

Draopwnzall
01-08-2012, 09:14 AM
I don't really play a lot of SL but, that set for comm's should last you until your L30 or so, I hear a custom L30 set will do?

Swampy
01-08-2012, 09:19 AM
Look into atomite gear or custom atomite. That will last you for a while until 40.

Sunwalker is the engi level 25 set and sandstorm is the comm set. Desert rat is the 25 set for ops.

Silentarrow
01-08-2012, 09:47 AM
Swampy said it perfectly, although you probably don't need to buy the level 25 greens. You may want to save your credits until level 30 to buy the custom gear. That gear should last you until level 40.

bbt1
01-08-2012, 10:33 AM
Sets go in 5 lvls 24/25 sunwalker 30 atomite 35 plasmatech 40 runetech

Ryeley
01-08-2012, 10:38 PM
Hey everyone. I just started playing a week or so ago. I have been reading the forums alot to make sure I know what to do or what to wear. So by reading the forums I learned that the best thing i can wear at 25 is the sunwalker set. I managed to be able to afford the set and I was wondering about how long will it last me and what set should I look at getting next. Thanks!

Start lookin into buying your lvl 30 epic set & lvl35 +the lvl 40 epic set, If you buy it now or start watching the prices you might be able to get a good deal :adoration:

wholefnshow555
01-10-2012, 11:20 AM
Thanks everyone. I just hit 30 and bought that set. The 35 set is really expensive but the 40 set is so cheap its rediculous lol. Is there any other tips you guys can give me with gear or gameplay? By the way I also read I should go pistol/shield so that is what I am doing.

Popular
01-10-2012, 03:12 PM
While you level up at slouch, you might get some greens. The greens you get in slouch has few better stats then sunwalker. So till lvl 30, i suggest you wearing those greens :D

LelouchX
01-11-2012, 10:16 AM
if i were you, i wouldn't bother with custom until you are at end game levels. They get very expensive and you will find yourself leveling up and being able to use the next set of gear before you really get much use of out the previous set. Unless you are going to xp lock and PvP, the slight boosts from custom sets aren't really worth the credits, which don't come as easily in SL as they did in PL. If you want the best of the best when you reach end game, you are definitely going to want to start saving up your money asap

wholefnshow555
01-12-2012, 11:18 AM
I am wearing the lvl 30 set right now. I am thinking of skipping the lvl 35 set cause its so expensive but i have the lvl 40 set ready. Is the black widow pistol really that good? i'm using the limited heavy repeater i think and it seems good statwise. also when running maps what does rmk stand for?

adidaman
01-12-2012, 11:29 AM
Use the 30 and wait until your 40. That way you save your credits

LelouchX
01-12-2012, 11:48 AM
u may find that the regular level 35 gear (plasmatech) is better than the level 30 custom gear (atomite) in many stat areas, and i am pretty sure that regular plasma stuff is pretty cheap if you wanna buy it. i would keep the custom atomite set tho because it is by far my favorite looking set of armor and what Newt wears around blackstar :-)

wholefnshow555
01-12-2012, 12:03 PM
Thanks for all the replies. Can you guys tell me why i can kill 100 enemies on a map and only get like 60xp? i thought it was 1xp per enemy. also what does rmk mean?

LelouchX
01-12-2012, 12:06 PM
Well, it depends on the stage. For example, if you go to redsun pirates, stage 1, when you are level 4, you will get more xp per kill than if you are at level 9. Also, if you are on redsun pirates stage 4, you will get more xp per kill than you would on stage 1. xp depends on the enemy threat level, indicated by the orb by their health bar when you target them (sorry i can't get a screenie for you now, i'm at work). Check this link for more info on threat colors:
http://www.spacetimestudios.com/showthread.php?45901-Theory-of-colored-orbs-next-to-enemies-names&highlight=colored+orbs

rmk means remake. in each set of stages (redsun, cycorp, etc.) there is generally what people call a "grind spot." Someone will host, the group joins, they grind in the grind spot, and then remake the stage and continue. grind spots generally offer the quickest way to level up, but which grind spot is the best for each stage is a matter of opinion. if you add the host to your friend list and he accepts, you can join quick, but not everyone accepts friend requests for this purpose. you can go to the "sector map" from your menu, and in the left box, it will say something like "host name." if you type in the name of the person hosting the remakes, you can join easily by going to the sector map after each run. generally, the person saying "rmk" is the host, but if nobody does, you can type "/host" in your chat box and it will tell you who is hosting. still, some people prefer to do full stage runs. grinding in the newer campaigns can take hours upon hours (upon days), and its nice to have a change of pace every once in a while.

wholefnshow555
01-12-2012, 01:07 PM
great answers. thanks so much!

wholefnshow555
01-15-2012, 07:45 PM
Hey again guys. what is the best pistol/shield combo i can use at 40? Also what is the most affordable?

OvigorothO
01-15-2012, 08:11 PM
Rmk means remake which generally signals repeating a level. Generally rmking a level is done because a certain item drops in this specific area,completing a certain quest,or if the level has paeticularly good xping rates :)

Teddyache
01-16-2012, 06:35 PM
Hey again guys. what is the best pistol/shield combo i can use at 40? Also what is the most affordable?

There is a set bonus with the Plat shields and any of the three pink weapons. They're very pricey though and u also need to spend Plat to get the shield. This is a must for a good PvP player, but I wouldn't spend the money if you only PvE. I think the Nova Blaster is considered by most to be the best of the three. It has a little slower speed, so lower DPS, but damage is better than DPS for most players because it raises your skill damage as well as your weapon damage.

Edit: the Electrorazer is the cheapest of the pink weapons but I don't know how much they are going for at the moment. Check the market section of this forum and CS. If you don't see one, ask in the market forum.

LelouchX
01-16-2012, 06:42 PM
Edit: the Electrorazer is the cheapest of the pink weapons but I don't know how much they are going for at the moment. Check the market section of this forum and CS. If you don't see one, ask in the market forum.
Guttersnipe was the cheapest last time i checked. they should go for the 20-30k price range, and i've seen razers for 60-75k lately. up to you if you want to spend the money on it though. I personally wouldn't go near the novas on the CS bc they are too expensive (100k+) and not even end game pistols anymore. to each their own

Ebalere
01-16-2012, 06:44 PM
Guttersnipe was the cheapest last time i checked. they should go for the 20-30k price range, and i've seen razers for 60-75k lately. up to you if you want to spend the money on it though. I personally wouldn't go near the novas on the CS bc they are too expensive (100k+) and not even end game pistols anymore. to each their own

Personally I'd just go with the guttersnipe at this point, as Lel said, they are the cheapest and they do great in pve.

wholefnshow555
01-16-2012, 08:16 PM
Thanks for the replies everyone. This has helped me out alot. I should be able to afford a guttersnipe soon.

On a side note, I was wondering if I was doing my skills right. I have...

3 wither
6 leech
6 empathy
1 revive
1 force shield
1 protection
6 transference
6 pain
6 decay

Was gonna put my last 3 points into wither to cap it.

Teddyache
01-17-2012, 07:37 AM
Thanks for the correction, Newt. I shouldn't type stuff without checking. Duh! I know better...

There is no "right" way to build your skills but I do notice that you have 9 skills. You can only map 8 at a given time, but it will cost you two Plat to change it now. There is no point to having 1 in protection as 10 armor does almost nothing in this game. Having 6 or 0 in protection is the way to go. 1 force shield will be more useful to you for the mana regen bonus than it's added defense so use it between groups of enemies (mobs) rather than during the fighting action.

The key skills for an engineer are at least 1 in revive, 6 in empathy no matter what, and 6 in transference no matter what. Everything else is up to personal taste. Maxing wither, leech, decay and pain gives you a lot of damage over time skills (DoT) so you are a nice weapon in addition to your heals. Newt has a guide in this engineer forum for a good build if you like that. if you want to be more traditional support build, keep decay and 1 in pain (for the stun and explosion damage) but get out of wither and leech to max protection and suppression. Be careful with suppression though. It is hard to use effectively. There are other threads on this already.

LelouchX
01-17-2012, 12:01 PM
Thanks for the replies everyone. This has helped me out alot. I should be able to afford a guttersnipe soon.

On a side note, I was wondering if I was doing my skills right. I have...

3 wither
6 leech
6 empathy
1 revive
1 force shield
1 protection
6 transference
6 pain
6 decay

Was gonna put my last 3 points into wither to cap it.

Unless you plan to actually swap skills in and out of your slots, it's not efficient to have skill points spread among more than 8 skills. you can only map 8 so anything in the 9th skill is a point you could use to increase the effectiveness of a different skill. Check out my build for engis if you want (Thanks for the replies everyone. This has helped me out alot. I should be able to afford a guttersnipe soon. On a side note, I was wondering if I was doing my skills right. I have... 3 wither 6 leech 6 empathy 1 revive 1 force shield 1 protection 6 transference 6 pain 6 decay Was gonna put my last 3 points into wither to cap it.[/QUOTE] Unless you plan to actually swap skills in and out of your slots, it's not efficient to have skill points in more than 9 skills. you can only map 8 so anything in the 9th skill is a point you could use to increase the effectiveness of a different skill. in my sig there is a link to "Newt's D.P.S. (Damage Plus Support) engi guild. It includes a "how to level" section (finally) and detailed strategies of how to use it on mobs and bosses. from what you posted, it looks like you are shying away from a full support build. I like to tank and deal damage, so that's what my build is about if you wanna check it out."([URL=http://www.spacetimestudios.com/showthread.php?38647-Newt-s-D.P.S-(Damage-Plus-Support)-Engi-Build]Newt's Engi Build ("[QUOTE=wholefnshow555;541752)). It includes a "how to level" section (finally) and detailed strategies of how to use it on mobs and bosses. from what you posted, it looks like you are shying away from a full support build. I like to tank and deal damage, so that's what my build is about if you wanna check it out.

Ebalere
01-17-2012, 04:36 PM
Link fixed*

LelouchX
01-17-2012, 04:59 PM
Broken link, my good man. And yes, now I am stalking you. =.=
fixed, and i knew you were stalking me before you were ready to admit it :-)

Teddyache
01-17-2012, 11:55 PM
Not fixed yet, Newty, and btw, ninja'd! ;)

There is no "right" way to build your skills but I do notice that you have 9 skills. You can only map 8 at a given time, but it will cost you two Plat to change it now.

Unless you plan to actually swap skills in and out of your slots, it's not efficient to have skill points spread among more than 8 skills. you can only map 8 so anything in the 9th skill is a point you could use to increase the effectiveness of a different skill.

wholefnshow555
01-18-2012, 10:02 AM
lol guys! I wanna be more support but I also want some good DoTs too. I know I should take the 1 point off protection but I have enough skills to max my last skill (wither). I am hoping we get a lvl increase when the new skill comes out and then I won't have an issue with my points lol.

LelouchX
01-18-2012, 10:19 AM
Not fixed yet, Newty, and btw, ninja'd! ;)
I hate being ninka'd (grrrrr). and the link is fixed, probably not the one in eb's quote of me, but it is in my post.

lol guys! I wanna be more support but I also want some good DoTs too. I know I should take the 1 point off protection but I have enough skills to max my last skill (wither). I am hoping we get a lvl increase when the new skill comes out and then I won't have an issue with my points lol.
If you wanted to go full support, ignore sonic boom as it is really just an aggro magnet imo. damage is good but cool down so long, i still love it for my purposes. You could go with suppression, but be sure you can use it well and don't spam it. it does combo with a com skill. CLICK HERE for info on combo's engis can participate in (http://www.spacetimestudios.com/showthread.php?45787-Combo&p=520276#post520276) (link works, i checked haha). Suppression gets mixed reviews, some other players hate when engis use it, but any time i seen someone complain it was because it wasn't used effectively. when you use it, it stuns targets and your, and your teammates, auto attack will stop or go to an enemy not mesmerized. also, only use after you see coms unleash their AoE skills, bc any damage breaks it. can be annoying when used wrong, but helpful if used correctly. If you can fit wither it, use it, but definitely max out decay and leech for DoTs, decay decreases targets armor and leech heals you too. i don't like the force shield or protection really, but they are support skills. protection offers 60 armor to party maxed out, which isn't a whole lot, and the force shield will break pretty easily. pretty sure i saw some support build threads, check them out. i don't focus on support tbh. good luck