PDA

View Full Version : Is it just me? Regarding pots

Rare
01-09-2012, 10:35 AM
Pocket Legends is really my first MMO experience. Never really got into them before.

So here is my questions... Is it just me or do a lot of players now have a problem with using health pots? Is this something that's frowned upon in other MMOs? Is/are the mage(s) expected to keep everyone alive all the time?

For example, I've been doing a lot of First Floor runs to loot that illustrious longbow. As you know, Emma has a pretty devastating attack, especially if you are too close when she raises her arms. Countless times I've seen players fighting Emma with almost no health. I watch to see if they are going to use pots to get it back up or if they are going to wait for a mage to heal. More often than not several seconds pass and the player dies because they didn't heal.

So, I'm wondering, what's the deal with that? Not like pots are expensive.

Another peev of mine... lower level players on the first floor hanging out outside emma's room. It really bothers me when I'm fighting and I see two toons sitting out there trying to collect loot. I've gotten to the point where I will boot them if I see them doing it (after a warning). In my opinion, its better to try and die than to leach.

Elyseon
01-09-2012, 10:40 AM
Agreed, although spamming pots is easy it gives the team a much easier time of surviving if the mage spam heals

Also for ppl waiting outside, definately a noob move, leeching is not cool

LelouchX
01-09-2012, 10:41 AM
Pots aren't expensive at all by the time you get to the levels you are at. I vaguely remember how it was in the beginning of PL, since I haven't even touched my toons there since SL came out. I think this is more of a problem in SL, where things liquidate for 4 and 5 creds, while stims cost the same. However, if i'm going to use my mana to heal and support my team with "green damage" i expect every other class to use there mana to support with "red damage" and crowd control. That's a lot to expect from pugs sometimes. Just try to be patient and ready to go through your stim stash when needed. I noticed people often don't take advice when you give it in pugs. oh well

Rare
01-09-2012, 10:47 AM
Pots aren't expensive at all by the time you get to the levels you are at. I vaguely remember how it was in the beginning of PL, since I haven't even touched my toons there since SL came out. I think this is more of a problem in SL, where things liquidate for 4 and 5 creds, while stims cost the same. However, if i'm going to use my mana to heal and support my team with "green damage" i expect every other class to use there mana to support with "red damage" and crowd control. That's a lot to expect from pugs sometimes. Just try to be patient and ready to go through your stim stash when needed. I noticed people often don't take advice when you give it in pugs. oh well

Yeah I agree. Don't get me wrong, I think each class should use their skills to the max. In this case mages and healing. However, with cooldown times and gcd, its not realistic for a mage to keep everyone up all the time.

LelouchX
01-09-2012, 10:51 AM
Yeah I agree. Don't get me wrong, I think each class should use their skills to the max. In this case mages and healing. However, with cooldown times and gcd, its not realistic for a mage to keep everyone up all the time.
Everyone plays their toons differently also. I see it more in SL than i did in PL, especially since i tank my engi. Even so, i empathy up all the time. In PL, healing isn't a HoT, so i can see how the down time between casts could potentially make it seem like an elf isn't doing her job. It's very obvious in SL when engi's don't heal. When I level my twinks, i see tons of engi that only cast empathy when they need it. These, IMO, are the engis that "grow up" to not keep their group healed in the later levels. Offering advice to inexperienced palyers is all we can do, in the end, an engi or elf that doesn't want to spend mana on healing isn't going to heal, unfortunately.

drewcapu
01-09-2012, 11:11 AM
Don't use Emma as your basis whether someone is using health pots. There can be lag upon accepting a revive in which the toon is immediately killed upon reviving, etc. This has happened to me on occasion on my bird, even when I wait until the small circle has passed before reviving. Now, if someone is just staying dead or hanging out in the next room, that's a different story.

You can tell if someone is using their pots in battle well before you get to a boss.

When I'm on my mage, I don't care if people aren't using their pots or not. I'll still heal/rev whenever I see someone's HP jump down a lot. That's my job. What I don't like is when I can tell if someone isn't using their skills because that slows down a run a lot more than someone who isn't healing themselves, even if they die (a lot).

Pandamoni
01-09-2012, 11:20 AM
I haven't noticed peoPle not healing themselves much. I'm thinking that maybe the ones you've run across just aren't able to spam pots fast enough? I know that I sometimes get pot lag where I'm spamming health pots like crazy and nothing happens. Usually it happens when I'm a bit lagged. I agree with Drew about skills, though. I've done a few pugs recently where the birds just stand there auto firing their weapon during a run. That is very annoying.

Reaganite
01-10-2012, 06:50 PM
I keep about 3000 health pots handy at all times and I use them liberally. I try not to depend upon mages unless I have to.

Zewebaby
01-10-2012, 07:00 PM
Since when is it bad to keep an extra mage outside in case of a wipe?

Fyrce
01-10-2012, 10:20 PM
I love PUGs, but I have a few rules. Generally, I like to see people using their skills while we're in the hallways. If they're not helping, they're not going to help at the boss either. You'll be able to tell in the hallways, whether the group can do the boss or whether it'll be a waste of your time. If it's a waste, go find another game. And of course, remember the names of the ones not helping and avoid their games.

There really are not that many makers in areas you are grinding. When looking for a PUG, I tend to favor those makers with whom I've had positive experiences and join those games first. Of course, if I've had a bad experience with one, I'd rather join an anonymous game than one of those.

As for leechers, unless the group has agreed to someone being outside, it's not difficult for mages to survive emma. Everyone needs to learn to dance with her. If I see a leecher, particularly in easy areas, such as a level 14 bear in Skelly cults, I will try to drag the boss away or get the leecher killed. And definitely I will ignore that leecher. I keep a list of why I've placed someone on the ignore list. Leeching is one of the worse sins.

The good thing is that most PUG experiences are good.

Piosidon
01-10-2012, 10:25 PM
To be honest, I didn't start using pots until I was leveling my third character to 50

Rare
01-11-2012, 10:06 AM
Since when is it bad to keep an extra mage outside in case of a wipe?

Using my mage, I don't stand outside waiting. And like I mentioned in the OP, it isn't about mages. I don't see high level mages doing this. I also see other classes besides mages do this.