PDA

View Full Version : Getting your SO to play SL/PL

Flip
01-11-2012, 12:35 PM
I spent my Xmas money on an iPad for my significant other, it arrives today. I'd love to get her playing SL or PL. Have you ever tried to coax someone into playing with you? What did you say?

What do you think is the best way to give someone a surprise iPad? I was going to just wrap it and hand it over, but that feels like a missed opportunity for shenanigans.

Artentreri
01-11-2012, 12:37 PM
Dude, I've tried so many times. I even told her that I'd use my phone and she could use the iPad. I just don't think she wants to get as addicted as me.
Edit: Thing is she's just as big of a nerd as I am! Loves lord of the rings, star wars, she's an absolute fanatic when it comes to Harry potter too. How 'bout some flip's tips to get us started? :D

adidaman
01-11-2012, 12:43 PM
Remind her that you could give her unlimited gold and items with the click of a button. Might help :p

Flip
01-11-2012, 12:46 PM
Well, I got her to play City of Heroes with me based on their fantastic costume creator. I turned her into a gamer mostly with the game "Steambot Chronicles" on the PS2, she loved that. Sadly she doesn't really seem interested in MMOs, especially fantasy settings. I think her concern might be the time investment.

Flip
01-11-2012, 12:46 PM
Remind her that you could give her unlimited gold and items with the click of a button. Might help :p
I think that might take the fun out of it a bit =)

RedRyder
01-11-2012, 12:47 PM
Best way to coax her into playing sl/pl is to say that she should get a hands on experience on what the company that you work for has accomplished. The rest will happen on its own from there :p

Artentreri
01-11-2012, 12:48 PM
"Baby I'll buy you a diamond ring if you play pl with me, just try to keep it under 20 plat."

ninjaduck
01-11-2012, 12:49 PM
Best way to coax her into playing sl/pl is to say that she should get a hands on experience on what the company that you work for has accomplished. The rest will happen on its own from there :p

Couldnt have put it better myself :p

@Art Win! :D

kallima
01-11-2012, 12:58 PM
I like Red's suggestion!!

but if that fails...bargaining?

She gets night out with you doing what she enjoys (musical, play, opera, ballet etc) if she devotes same amount of time you spent on "her" evening!!! Both people get what they want, and we all know, once you've committed 30minutes to PL, you're pretty much addicted!!

StompArtist
01-11-2012, 01:19 PM
Have you tried crying and using the words: "You don't care about what I doooooo"?

Works like a charm.

ninjaduck
01-11-2012, 01:20 PM
"Baby I'll buy you a diamond ring if you play pl with me, just try to keep it under 20 plat."

Have you tried crying and using the words: "You don't care about what I doooooo"?

Works like a charm.

Bahahahaaa!!!

KhaosAngel
01-11-2012, 01:36 PM
Luckily my SO loved the Fable series. When I came across PL and its medevil kind of theme, I immediatly showed her. She wasnt thrilled until I simply asked to try it with me. Since I was able to play along side her and show her how to play somewhat properly, she started to enjoy it. I did NOT force her to constanlty play but rather join when she wanted. After a few days of chatting with other people around the world and not dying(cause I was there to protect her), she quickly found enjoyment! "This is so cool" she said. She loved the environments and especially combos. "Wow! Did you see that" she said as she punched me in the arm.
"Yes dear, that was awesome" I replyed whilst rubbing my now sore shoulder:black_eyed: As we leveled TOGETHER(I have a specific toon i play just with her) and found new equipment, new environments, new strategies, more COMBOS(she says they're so pretty) and not leaving her behind, she just fell in love!
So I guess my contribution to you Flip is just be patient, try not to overwhelm her with excess(stick to the basics at the start). Be supportive and "nice job hun" goes a long ways!
As for presenting her with that new ipad- I hid hers in a dvd case and handed it to her and said, "you want to watch this?" She said ok and when she opened it to put into the dvd player.......:distant: Anyway, just a suggestion- Good luck-

edit: just thought of this....Tape it to her steering wheel, then go inside and ask her to drive you to the store or something...surprise

Artentreri
01-11-2012, 01:44 PM
"You promised me 24 caret! And+4 to defense!"

Snakespeare
01-11-2012, 01:49 PM
My SO played last night for the 4th time ever. She had a good time. Basically, I had to wait until we had 1. overstretched our going out money, 2. TV had nothing on, and 3. she complained about having nothing to do. She was even tired of her crossword puzzles. In short, she was desperate, LOL!

"Well, y'know babe, I'm always up for a game of Pocket Legends with you." And she said, "Sure. Why not?"

We lock the instance and play just the two of us, but I told her that the devs can see the logs even though it's private. I'm just thankful my SO is someone who has to be told to be careful about such things! hallelujah! Anyhow, in a locked private game, it's just like a single-player, only you're both together.

Good luck!

And do not open her iPad box. THAT is one of life's pleasures, opening an Apple box, and you should let her do it.

Matutd
01-11-2012, 01:58 PM
Take the iPad out if the box and give it to her.
Then tell her she can have it, but only if she plays sl/pl xD

ninjaduck
01-11-2012, 02:00 PM
Luckily my SO loved the Fable series. When I came across PL and its medevil kind of theme, I immediatly showed her. She wasnt thrilled until I simply asked to try it with me. Since I was able to play along side her and show her how to play somewhat properly, she started to enjoy it. I did NOT force her to constanlty play but rather join when she wanted. After a few days of chatting with other people around the world and not dying(cause I was there to protect her), she quickly found enjoyment! "This is so cool" she said. She loved the environments and especially combos. "Wow! Did you see that" she said as she punched me in the arm.
"Yes dear, that was awesome" I replyed whilst rubbing my now sore shoulder:black_eyed: As we leveled TOGETHER(I have a specific toon i play just with her) and found new equipment, new environments, new strategies, more COMBOS(she says they're so pretty) and not leaving her behind, she just fell in love!
So I guess my contribution to you Flip is just be patient, try not to overwhelm her with excess(stick to the basics at the start). Be supportive and "nice job hun" goes a long ways!
As for presenting her with that new ipad- I hid hers in a dvd case and handed it to her and said, "you want to watch this?" She said ok and when she opened it to put into the dvd player.......:distant: Anyway, just a suggestion- Good luck-

edit: just thought of this....Tape it to her steering wheel, then go inside and ask her to drive you to the store or something...surprise

Strictly use tape for quick disposal :p

Samhayne
01-11-2012, 02:07 PM
I've only had luck in enticing a SO to play when it has been an open invitation to spend time with me. It doesn't always work out, but hey, it seems the right way to go about it.

My wife isn't much of a gamer, but I love her for a whole lot of other reasons (and, she respects my game time outlet - short as it may be with 2 little ones in the house to look after).

Ebalere
01-11-2012, 02:35 PM
Heh, My SO got me started playing PL, she was already a lvl45 mage when I started. I quickly caught up and we ended up getting our CoP's together. Then her iPod broke and I moved on to SL.

I bought her a Samsung Galaxy SII in hopes of being able to play once again with her, since her iPod broke she only played on my phone when I wasnt using it, which was rare. Unfortunately the new Galaxy has issues playing STS games if you're not from America.

So, upon the release of Chrome beta, I set her up with a controller on the lap top and got her back into it, we had both given up on PL for whatever reason, so she worked hard catching up to my 3 capped toons, and managed to snag a snazzy Arbiter's helm for her engi.

Then for Christmas, I bought her a brand spanking new iPod touch so she could play anywhere again, and she has been playing regularly since. She even has the Arbiter's chestplate now, and is working on a commando now.

I feel pretty lucky to have a gamer girl, since I'm pretty hardcore when it comes to SL. I'm glad she can share that with me and derive enjoyment from that. I'm sure she would have put her foot down by now if she wasn't as into it as I am, lol.

My suggestion to you, Flip, is to show her the game, show her the social aspect of it, maybe help her take down meathead, but don't overdo it. There's a fine line for non gamers when starting out an MMO, and if they get overwhelmed or play too long before they get fully interested, they'll find the game too much to handle. Maybe introduce her to some friendly people you spot while playing, people mature enough to not freak out and type in caps, "OMGOMGOMG FLIPS GIRL IS PLAYING AND SHE'S TALKING TO MEEEE WAKAKAKAKAKA!!". Because I guarantee if everyone knew her name in the game she would get hounded constantly, just like you, and that would probably overwhelm her.

Slant
01-11-2012, 03:54 PM
its impossible, you really have to have a wide open mind to play, or else small things keep getting in the way, could be anything, gear, levelling, just the need to get certain loot, why some equipment is better than others, stats, it can be overwhelming for a newb
I cudnt get mine till red sun before it was a turn off just because of how complicated it was :(
basically I think its the assumption from the tutorial itself that other people have had prior experience in mmorpgs
think it really would help if the various components of the game are staggered over time instead of being put on you all together in the blackstar tour itself, maybe the auction house can wait till level 5, and a longer intro graphic on how it woiks... pvp till level 10 and stats and skills till umm... 6 lol... coz once the initial tutorial is done there is no further guidance, guidance can be dynamic, in the sense, the first chest you open encourages you to interact with objects in the surroundings instead of being triggered to open a chest every time you see one

Darkfader
01-11-2012, 04:05 PM
Let her know it's last and only way spend social life with you via ingame chat and great success is guarantee.

For real, I don't know. I didn't need myself make my girlfriend play Pl, she started it when he watched couple evenings me playing it.

Rawrimafish
01-11-2012, 04:24 PM
Ive gotten at lest 4 of my friends :p
I just said get PL and SL get it get it get it get it get it!!!!!

Flip
01-11-2012, 04:27 PM
Delivery confirmed, tonight is the night! I definitely don't want to take it out of the box, I take great joy in unboxing gadgetry myself.

JaytB
01-11-2012, 04:29 PM
How about you unpack that new iPad and install PL and SL onto it, while moving all the standard apps to another page. That should give her a clear hint that you want her to play these games LOL :)

As for a way to give her the device, you could place it under her pillow and try and go sleep early. Let her 'find' the device herself :)

Edit: mm, just saw your ninja post about not wanting to unpack it :/

Zewebaby
01-11-2012, 04:33 PM
Eh, playing with your SO ain't that great. Mine, at least. She kinda really sucks.

JaytB
01-11-2012, 04:34 PM
Eh, playing with your SO ain't that great. Mine, at least. She kinda really sucks.

Let's hope she doesn't use the forums ;)

KhaosAngel
01-11-2012, 06:00 PM
Let's hope she doesn't use the forums ;)
LOL so F'n hard:emmersed:

Flip
01-11-2012, 06:23 PM
And the truth comes out... delete your browsing history! ;)

Artentreri
01-11-2012, 08:07 PM
Tell her she's cut off until she reaches level 20.

Conradin
01-11-2012, 10:16 PM
now for the shinanagins--- put it in a big TV box/ refrigerator box/somebigboxofsomethingshewants and give it to her. As she opens it up she is surprised by the Ipad. After she plays around on it sneak over and download the PL app (hint). Then come the art of subliminal messages. vaguely hint Pocket legends into everything so that by the end of the week she's dying to play PL- even if she doesn't know she is. then ask her if she wants to play, she'll try it out, and be HOOKED. Either that or you can do the art of inception- though its confusing bizz

Zewebaby
01-11-2012, 10:20 PM
Tell her she's cut off until she reaches level 20.

She's 50 with a decent KDR. She's just...bad. And not too fun to do anything but PVP with :/

Pandamoni
01-11-2012, 10:26 PM
Tell her you need her to play with you bc she's so awesome and you want to show off the love of your life to all of your fans.

WoundedEagle
01-11-2012, 10:58 PM
Flip. My dad knows me well. I arrived home late at night around 11 p.m. December 27th 2011 from a flight. I opened all my knick-knacks and clothes and then I found a peculiar present. I unwrapped it and it was a Pizza Box. I opened the lid and removed the paper and there was an iPad 2. True story. Also. Getting people to play is difficult.Unless you have similar qualities which I am sure you and your significant other share. I had my friend play. He made a character named Adamdaboss, leveled to level 6 and hasn't played since. It's really different with people that aren't into it directly...

Artemis
01-11-2012, 11:23 PM
I told ONEEE ex I play PL, He was disturbed that I was nerdy. Never did that again.

Garvhoz
01-12-2012, 12:26 AM
I told ONEEE ex I play PL, He was disturbed that I was nerdy. Never did that again.

LOL,LMFAO,HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

But on the serious note, thats messed up, at least he is your ex

Flip
01-12-2012, 11:37 AM
Sounds like you dodged a bullet Artemis! Being mad at people for being nerdy is soooo 1989.

Thanks for all the great ideas in this thread! What I wound up doing was replacing her alarm clock in the middle of the night with a nicely wrapped ipad2. When her alarm went off this morning she was, let's say, befuddled.

Get this: One of the first things she asked me about it was "Are your games free? Cause I'd like to play what you work on, but I don't want to get hooked!" Seems like she and RedRyder think alike =)

Artentreri
01-12-2012, 11:58 AM
What a poser, I've never dated a girl and not showed my nerdyness. It's one of my best qualities.

Artentreri
01-13-2012, 04:20 PM
So, did she start? And is she impressed by your all powerful dev status?