PDA

View Full Version : Website upgrade for www.SpacetimeStudios.com

Samhayne
01-11-2012, 03:57 PM
We've moved www.SpacetimeStudios.com over to a new (faster) web host. Also, we have updated our server software to the latest and greatest. All this means that the forums and site should run faster and better for you.

Please let us know what you think and if you run into any weird or otherwise unexpected behavior.

Thanks!

Silentarrow
01-11-2012, 03:58 PM
When was this done? Last night I was getting some data base errors!

Battlelock
01-11-2012, 04:05 PM
Think it was done 30 minutes to an hour ago.

ninjaduck
01-11-2012, 04:08 PM
Yay! I cant see a difference yet but its probably my computer being a meanie

razerfingers
01-11-2012, 04:15 PM
The app seems to force close when i check my messages. Just thought id letcha know :)

Kaytar
01-11-2012, 04:15 PM
does it also work for android app or will the app have to be upated?

Samhayne
01-11-2012, 04:16 PM
The apps need to be updated. We are in the process of doing that.

MimeRifle
01-11-2012, 04:18 PM
Sam - will certainly let you know if I see anything unusual but this forum is always weird! :D

razerfingers
01-11-2012, 04:18 PM
Ah, okay thanks sam :) you ninja'd the issue before we noticed it haha

JaytB
01-11-2012, 04:21 PM
FYI: Tapatalk app seems to work as usual. Maybe a bit quicker, but it always has been quick so hard to tell :)

Rawrimafish
01-11-2012, 04:22 PM
YAY

LwMark
01-11-2012, 04:24 PM
Ye wen i chek messages force .closes

Samhayne
01-11-2012, 04:29 PM
Sam - will certainly let you know if I see anything unusual but this forum is always weird! :D

Hehe, thanks :)

adidaman
01-11-2012, 04:37 PM
Not a big deal, but when I check my messages (on the app) everyone's username comes up as "null". I attached a picture

LelouchX
01-11-2012, 04:37 PM
did you change the colors back to blue (or purple maybe?) for SL and orange for PL? I noticed earlier today mid post i was on a PL thread when i thought it was an SL one because it was blue/purple. Thanks! And now i can get around there forums faster while I'm at work.

Samhayne
01-11-2012, 06:10 PM
did you change the colors back to blue (or purple maybe?) for SL and orange for PL? I noticed earlier today mid post i was on a PL thread when i thought it was an SL one because it was blue/purple. Thanks! And now i can get around there forums faster while I'm at work.

Yes, an issue with the sub-forum styles were corrected in today's update. The Star Legends, Pocket Legends and Dark Legends sections of the full web view of the forums have a different style to help users know where they are at on the forums.

Also, the mobile style for the forums has been re-enabled.

Swimmingstar
01-11-2012, 06:13 PM
Can you put the rep bars back side by side? IMO it looks bad, spaced out.

adidaman
01-11-2012, 06:13 PM

Yes, an issue with the sub-forum styles were corrected in today's update. The Star Legends, Pocket Legends and Dark Legends sections of the full web view of the forums have a different style to help users know where they are at on the forums.

Also, the mobile style for the forums has been re-enabled.

Yeah, my issues not important o.o

Samhayne
01-11-2012, 06:18 PM
Sorry, Adidaman, I did see your post. We're aware of issues with the mobile apps. We need to get new versions of the apps published and available. For iOS, that means a wait from Apple submission, unfortunately.

In the meantime, I would suggest using the mobile style of the forum via safari, or using the full version of the site via safari.

adidaman
01-11-2012, 06:21 PM
Ok, thanks.

JaytB
01-11-2012, 09:03 PM
I just noticed I'm not getting any E-mail notifications anymore. I mean, for new posts on a subscribed topic.

Just wanted to throw that out there to see if anyone else is experiencing this.

Skeletonlord
01-11-2012, 09:11 PM
No problems so far! I'm on IOS app so I will need to until tomorrow before I get access to the forums properly.

MightyMicah
01-11-2012, 09:18 PM
Ya lol my mobile device can't respond to messages. It's like, "nice to meet you null..." Thanks fir workin on it sam :)

Samhayne
01-11-2012, 09:23 PM
I just noticed I'm not getting any E-mail notifications anymore. I mean, for new posts on a subscribed topic.

Just wanted to throw that out there to see if anyone else is experiencing this.

I just double checked e-mail functionality, and the forums is sending email fine (at least to my test addresses).

Also, with e-mail, always consider any filters on the front side of your inbox (to catch spam, etc.) if that recently changed, it could be the culprit.

JaytB
01-11-2012, 09:33 PM
I just double checked e-mail functionality, and the forums is sending email fine (at least to my test addresses).

Also, with e-mail, always consider any filters on the front side of your inbox (to catch spam, etc.) if that recently changed, it could be the culprit.

Thanks for the reply! Nothing changed here though. But since nothing is wrong on your side, I'll double check here as soon as I have some spare time :)

MoarPewPew
01-11-2012, 10:04 PM
Forum: Sunsets and Happy Trails

OMG this is a great name for the coming and going sub forum. I love it. Great rename.

Kossi
01-11-2012, 10:25 PM
ummmmm giraffes and talking potatoes are all over my screen instead of letters when i type.... or im just that high :P up that i could be dizzy from thin air

Skeletonlord
01-12-2012, 01:18 PM
i think i have found a issue. when viewing the chatbox, the options you can choose from arent there. you can still click, but need to highlight the option to see what it is.

LelouchX
01-12-2012, 01:50 PM

It looks like January 9th (pre-switch) is the last time I got any email notification, and have had posts on different threads I've started. I'm pretty sure that I used to get emails for PMs received as well, and I haven't. Is it possible the issue is with accounts set up before the new server/web host (idk tech speak, sry)? Idk when you created this test address, but it's the only thing I can think given the fact that this is a new server/host. Also, I've gotten the emails previously, and my IMAP has never filtered my spam for some reason, but idc to figure out why that is.

Also, is it blue or purple for SL? Been curious for a while, I'm a bit colorblind..... (it's ok to "lol" at this, i did while i was typing it).

Samhayne
01-12-2012, 01:57 PM
Umm, its a shade of blue. If you are using Chrome (or Firefox with the Firebug add on) you can right click and inspect element and get the color codes if you're interested to get the actual color.

As for the e-mail, I'm not sure what to say. I went to the Thread Tools drop down at the top of the thread, subscribed and I'm successfully receiving e-mail notifications from this thread.

LelouchX
01-12-2012, 02:04 PM
Umm, its a shade of blue. If you are using Chrome (or Firefox with the Firebug add on) you can right click and inspect element and get the color codes if you're interested to get the actual color.

As for the e-mail, I'm not sure what to say. I went to the Thread Tools drop down at the top of the thread, subscribed and I'm successfully receiving e-mail notifications from this thread.
Well i never subscribed here, but in the past I have gotten notifications on any thread I started (guild thread, guides, etc) without subscribing to them. I'll try to go subscribe to them and see what happens, and i'm now subscribed to this one.

Samhayne
01-12-2012, 02:13 PM
If you go into your settings - General Options (http://www.spacetimestudios.com/profile.php?do=editoptions) and edit your Default Thread Subscription Mode to subscribe you by default, then you'll get emails :)

LelouchX
01-12-2012, 02:49 PM
PL thread is bluish/purplish whatever color that is again, lol

http://i1124.photobucket.com/albums/l575/eyeofnewt7/1-4.jpg

Samhayne
01-12-2012, 02:51 PM
PL thread is bluish/purplish whatever color that is again, lol

http://i1124.photobucket.com/albums/l575/eyeofnewt7/1-4.jpg

Clear your cookies and you'll get the default colors.

If you manually select a style from the drop down, it will overwrite your selection. This allows someone to use the Mobile style without it changing back and forth on them.

LelouchX
01-13-2012, 04:47 PM
I just noticed this, and I believe it happened around the time of this switch. I hope it's not my cookies, my head hurts from all the facepalming i've been doing today.......

these two threads were started by devs, but there aren't any icons like there used to be to the right that i can click on for the "dev posts" Those icons are showing up once i click the thread, however.
http://i1124.photobucket.com/albums/l575/eyeofnewt7/Nodevcircle1.jpg

Samhayne
01-13-2012, 04:47 PM
Thanks, I'll have to take a look at the plugin that does the dev tracker stuffs.

javier995
01-14-2012, 12:14 AM
So all the errors on mobile will be fixed soon?

All on mobile app.

•It doesn't let me look at my inbox anymore

•Crashes quite a lot lately, saying different errors. I forgot the names, but it does it so frequently that I'll be able to post them later, i have to kill the app to be able to use it again when they happen.

Edit 1: Invalid access token. This error stays on my screen, i have to click it 7 times (yes i counted BC it popped up as i typed this edit) before it goes away.

Edit 2: api_invalid_signature force closed the app.

Qqqxxxzzz
01-14-2012, 04:35 AM
Android app have lots of errors:
example:
if I try login with wrong password, app says: error code strikes, and I cant login for 15 mins or more.

Samhayne
01-17-2012, 12:28 PM
More info here: http://www.spacetimestudios.com/showthread.php?48105-Problems-with-the-iOS-and-Android-Community-Apps

StompArtist
01-17-2012, 01:49 PM
Not a big deal, but when I check my messages (on the app) everyone's username comes up as "null". I attached a picture

Looks like this null guy is trying to impersonate a mod and give you warnings!

LelouchX
01-18-2012, 02:48 PM
apologies in advance as i'm sure i'm getting annoying now, lol. i still can't get my email notifications to work. I did as you recommended here:

If you go into your settings - General Options (http://www.spacetimestudios.com/profile.php?do=editoptions) and edit your Default Thread Subscription Mode to subscribe you by default, then you'll get emails :)
I am now automatically subscribed to any thread i post to, but still no emails. also, as you know, i even changed my email address associated with the forums here on the off chance that had something to do with it. not sure what you can do since yours seems to be working fine, but i know JaytB seems to be having this problem too (and maybe others) so I was wondering if there was any new info from anybody. Thanks

Samhayne
01-18-2012, 03:09 PM
Thanks for the head's up. I'll re-test on various external emails and see what turns up.

LelouchX
01-18-2012, 03:11 PM
Thanks for the head's up. I'll re-test on various external emails and see what turns up.
i was hoping not to waste your time with this and that someone else had an answer already, thx sam :-)

Samhayne
01-18-2012, 06:05 PM
E-mail issue should be fixed. Please let me know if you're not getting subscription emails.

JaytB
01-18-2012, 06:07 PM
E-mail issue should be fixed. Please let me know if you're not getting subscription emails.

Looking good so far, E-mails starting to stream in again :)

LelouchX
01-18-2012, 06:11 PM
thanks again sam! i guess it would be wrong of me to complain when my ipad starts blowing up from emails? lol

Kahlua
01-19-2012, 05:16 AM
Does this mean larger signature sizes too?!?

Riccits
01-19-2012, 05:31 AM
i normally look into forums with the button " New Posts"
now it changed that threads ive clicked once, doesnt shown anymore with the "New posts" query until someone else post something. I liked more before when it showed up just as "read"

LelouchX
01-19-2012, 10:29 AM
not it changed that threads ive clicked once, doesnt shown anymore with the "New posts" query until someone else post something. I liked more before when it showed up just as "read"
I asked about this as well, here is the reason Sam gave:

I changed the forum tracking of unread posts from being cookie based (stored on your local machine) to being database driven (stored on the server). The database functionality is more accurate, although it has more overhead for the server. With our speedy new web server, the overhead isn't an issue, so it was switched to the better database system.

StompArtist
01-19-2012, 10:31 AM
not it changed that threads ive clicked once, doesnt shown anymore with the "New posts" query until someone else post something. I liked more before when it showed up just as "read"

Agreed this new way is confusing.

Samhayne
01-19-2012, 11:03 AM
Does this mean larger signature sizes too?!?

Signature sizes are limited to keep the scroll needed to read a thread down.

RE: Read posts and the New Posts section. Here are the options in the forum control panel:

Thread/Forum Read Marking Type
This option controls how threads and forums are marked as read.

Inactivity/Cookie Based - once a user has been inactive for a certain amount of time (the value of the session timeout option) all threads and forums are considered read. Individual threads are marked as read within a session via cookies.

Database (no automatic forum marking) - this option uses the database to store thread and forum read times. This allows accurate read markers to be kept indefinitely. However, in order for a forum to be marked read when all threads are read, the user must view the list of threads for that forum.

This option is more space and processor intensive than inactivity-based marking.

Database (automatic forum marking) - this option is the same as a previous option, but forums are automatically marked as read when the last new thread is read.

This is the most usable option for end users, but most processor intensive.

Originally, we were on Inactivity/Cookie Based. This could lead to some very wonky behavior if you were not an active user. For example, you could come back after several days of not visiting the forum and click "new posts" and have there be nothing displayed.

Then I went to the 3rd option, but the auto marking as read seems counter-intuitive to you all. So, we'll try option 2 and see how that goes.

LelouchX
01-19-2012, 11:26 AM
Originally, we were on Inactivity/Cookie Based. This could lead to some very wonky behavior if you were not an active user. For example, you could come back after several days of not visiting the forum and click "new posts" and have there be nothing displayed.
This has happened to me a few times, even after not being here for a couple days.

Agreed this new way is confusing.
I thought so too, but it didn't take me too long to get used to it.