PDA

View Full Version : Further explanation for the change in prize support for the 1v1 Mage Tournament

Samhayne
01-12-2012, 09:56 PM
I appreciate everyone's fervor for the truth. However, in my eyes, many are oversimplifying things. Much in life is seldom straightforward.

Over the course of the recent 1v1 Mage Tournament organized by AbsolutePally I was approached in private messages with concerns about either ringers (someone playing someone else's account) and/or strange outcome of combat (a possible indication of the glitch that has reared it's ugly head).

AbsolutePally has complained openly that the final round with Edenfury was funky. Here's an example: http://www.spacetimestudios.com/showthread.php?46224-The-Wizard-of-Alterra-1-1-Tournament&p=536504&viewfull=1#post536504

I respect both Edenfury and AbsolutePally. They have both taken the time to be serious end game competitors. Both have played a lot of PvP matches. I can understand Edenfury's concern for their reputation. I can understand AbsolutePally's experience and his input that things didn't seem to go as the many other matches he has played. To make a call for one is to discount the other and to call them a poor sport, or a cheater or a liar.

The glitch. I am reticent to reveal details of any glitch in our games. We strive to provide a bug free game environment. While Apollo may have knowledge about this glitch, or that it is possible to be done with a purchased respec, this similar bug came up last year with the Bear 1v1 Tourney. It is not conclusive that it is only repeatable with a purchased respec. I will not elaborate further on the glitch.

The Ringers. Another complaint was if the actual account holders were playing their accounts. Regrettably, we at Spacetime know that our users will from time to time share accounts. To some extent it is human nature to share the things we have, especially with those that are close to us. We take issue with this when problems arise. You know, when that "other" person logs on and takes all your stuff and deletes your characters. It is for that reason that we do not allow trading or sharing of accounts. I can say that multiple members of the tournament have logins to their accounts from devices that have also logged in on other accounts that have end game characters with significant PvP experience.

It is for the above reasons that the prize support for this event has been withdrawn. In the spirit of fun, we have granted everyone participating the same vanity shield. We apologize for any bent feelings that this has caused. I care very much for the Pocket Legends PvP community and why we have been investing time and custom item creation to supporting it. It is also why I am here after a long day writing you my input. Hopefully, the participants had fun in the course of playing the tournament - that is, after all, the point. It is my sincere hope that we will be in a position to return support to player PvP tournaments in the future.

XghostzX
01-12-2012, 10:10 PM
Thanks for your time Sam. We appreciate how much you care for the community and always will.

WhoIsThis
01-12-2012, 10:15 PM
Given the ensuing controversy, this is probably the best outcome.

XghostzX
01-12-2012, 10:18 PM
Given the ensuing controversy, this is probably the best outcome.

Elf! Haven't seen you around lately, but coming from you it must be true :)

CrimsonTider
01-12-2012, 10:23 PM
Thank you Sam for handling this the appropriate way and handling expiditiously. Despite the outcome, it is a sad day in Alterra.

MoarPewPew
01-12-2012, 10:26 PM
I am just baffled on how STS is being so flexible with there TOS and the rules. Seems like there is no consequence that will happen for these "rule breakers." Oh wait everyone who participated gets a vanity. And now STS will not support tournaments until the time is right again. Makes a lot of sense....

This is upsetting to hear. Sorry if I seem so negative with this, I am in shock thats all...

XghostzX
01-12-2012, 10:31 PM
I am just baffled on how STS is being so flexible with there TOS and the rules. Seems like there is no consequence that will happen for these "rule breakers." Oh wait everyone who participated gets a vanity. And now STS will not support tournaments until the time is right again. Makes a lot of sense....

This is upsetting to hear. Sorry if I seem so negative with this, I am in shock thats all...
It's only a game :) Yes, definitely a game the most people take with a passion, but the things STS has done deserves more than a thank you.

Miner
01-12-2012, 10:39 PM
I only have one request. I have never participated in a competition and never will until this request is fulfilled. So here it is: any future tournament will be held by developers. This means I want them to create it, to organise it and to moderate it. That way there is no argument when the host loses and when someone is acting 'funky', you get a first person view at it. Sorry if I sound bitter, I'm actually glad since it's finally cleaned up. I just feel the need that something must be done to prevent such issues in the future to come.

Swimmingstar
01-12-2012, 11:44 PM
I know that humans can be competitive but I never knew they would argue back and forth so much. And I never thought this would happen.

StompArtist
01-12-2012, 11:46 PM
I know that humans can be competitive but I never knew they would argue back and forth so much. And I never thought this would happen.

Wouldn't happen with Squirrels. just sayin'

Swimmingstar
01-12-2012, 11:50 PM
I'm actually happy the shield was given to everyone. :) Ask everyone who has one, most are happy. :)

Mikeylito
01-13-2012, 12:12 AM
I'm actually happy the shield was given to everyone. :) Ask everyone who has one, most are happy. :)

i really wish i could get a vanity shield being that i participated in this tourney. unfortunately things happened but by standards, i did "participate" in this tourney. oh well i know its been a long day for sammy, but i truly am happy that others are happy! -imkelly

TruePlayer
01-13-2012, 12:20 AM
Tho i have issue with sam always sideing with alwaysdt. But yes if was a glitch then sam handle this very good thnks for telling us about this, i hope dev can improve pvp.

MightyMicah
01-13-2012, 01:16 AM
@moarpewpew, I doubt Sam would announce any kind of punishment in public.

mejslll
01-13-2012, 01:20 AM
i am impressed with your handling of what ever the situation is... sam i dont know you any futher than pl, but you a class act. buy your self a beer from me!!!

thanks guys

CrimsonTider
01-13-2012, 02:49 AM
Tho i have issue with sam always sideing with alwaysdt. But yes if was a glitch then sam handle this very good thnks for telling us about this, i hope dev can improve pvp.

Think we have had enuff finger pointing/calling people out for one day. Let it die already.

Moogerfooger
01-13-2012, 07:32 AM
Think we have had enuff finger pointing/calling people out for one day. Let it die already.

That would require class :D

ninjaduck
01-13-2012, 08:10 AM
Well said Sam, must be alot of pressure on you. I wish i could help :(

adidaman
01-13-2012, 08:32 AM
It's understandable. I don't agree with how everyone received a prize in the end though

Niamah
01-13-2012, 08:46 AM
Excuse the bluntness, so is sharing an account allowed or not? If yes, does it apply to tourneys only, normal gameplay, or both? what are the penalties?

AbsolutePally
01-13-2012, 10:17 AM
This tournie may revolutionize the rules and way they are monitored. As there are better and cooler prizes at stakes, along with peoples desires to win, it will be open to assault. Rules and strict enforcement in the future may be required. I am doing my best to report anything I see to make sure everyone has a fair chance.
The shields given were a real nice gesture as to not blame or name call or to not necessarily point fingers. I apologize if things were not handled the best way possible. We are all trying our best. Thank you to all the participants and sincerily hope we can get more tournies going, and more frequent as well.

Jewelsofjane
01-13-2012, 10:34 AM
I just don't see how a tourney could even be held again. Because of the endless "possibilities" and the endless "possible" glitches, no tourney could be considered fair, even run by a dev. I don't see anyway that they could get past this unless they went back on the reason they reconsidered the prizes for this tourney. It is heartbreaking for the entire pvp community.

CrimsonTider
01-13-2012, 10:39 AM
I just don't see how a tourney could even be held again. Because of the endless "possibilities" and the endless "possible" glitches, no tourney could be considered fair, even run by a dev. I don't see anyway that they could get past this unless they went back on the reason they reconsidered the prizes for this tourney. It is heartbreaking for the entire pvp community.

I don't see why not? What you are saying is that STS is incapable of finding these issues and getting them fixed and I believe that is disrespectful. Before jumping to conclusions (which is something many in the last tourney should understand), let's allow them to do their job. And if people can/do find a way to "cheat", they will always be found out in the end.

Jewelsofjane
01-13-2012, 10:42 AM
I don't see why not? What you are saying is that STS is incapable of finding these issues and getting them fixed and I believe that is disrespectful. Before jumping to conclusions (which is something many in the last tourney should understand), let's allow them to do their job. And if people can/do find a way to "cheat", they will always be found out in the end.

Because there are things that you don't know why the prizes were done the way they were, it was based on a "possibility". The possibility will always exsist. I know because I was the one at the forefront of this. I think the devs understand what I am saying, and I am sure they are asking the same question. This has nothing to do with any attacks on another player. There is an issue at hand that they CAN'T verify. Period. Besides that issue, the other issue are glitches. This glitch had been known about for some time, before this and even another tourney was held. To think future glitches arent possible, is not being aware. That "possibility" along with the other "possibly" will always exsist. Thus going on the recent definition that a "possibility" warrants a tourney not being fair, then no tourney can be held in fairness.

This will be my last post on forums, unless something is truly warranted for a post. The stress these forums have brought me far outway the fun that I enjoyed in the game. To those that are supporters and friends, I hope to see you ingame.

LelouchX
01-13-2012, 10:46 AM
Excuse the bluntness, so is sharing an account allowed or not? If yes, does it apply to tourneys only, normal gameplay, or both? what are the penalties?

Regrettably, we at Spacetime know that our users will from time to time share accounts. To some extent it is human nature to share the things we have, especially with those that are close to us. We take issue with this when problems arise. You know, when that "other" person logs on and takes all your stuff and deletes your characters. It is for that reason that we do not allow trading or sharing of accounts.

In short, no because of the problems that can arise from it. It's doubtfull STS is going to check everyone's account to see what devices were used to log in and if other accounts used those devices, but if any issues occur, like this controversy, they can and do:

I can say that multiple members of the tournament have logins to their accounts from devices that have also logged in on other accounts

To be safe, don't let people play your account. They can "act a fool" and if bad enough, you will get a ban, not them.

Swimmingstar
01-13-2012, 01:13 PM
Just let it go, it's not heartbreaking for the whole pvp community, especially the people who have nothing to do with this. Your posts are a little selfish sounding actually as you sound like you want the only prize very badly and if you don't get it your saying there shouldn't be another tourney. PL is supposed to be for fun. If you want to be this competitive go race someone or something.

Flip
01-13-2012, 02:48 PM
We have located the root cause of the glitch and are fast-tracking a fix. As the QA Manager for STS I humbly apologize that this bug may have interfered with an otherwise fun tournament. I feel somewhat culpable for the forum drama this caused and I hope that you all can put your differences aside and focus on the reason that we are here: to have a good time. Speculating on the morals of individual players does nothing but provoke ill-feelings from everyone involved, there's really no positive outcome from that. I extend a personal thank you to Sam, as none of this was his fault and he had to make a tough call due to it. I stand by his resolution of the matter. We're always striving to improve and we would like to revisit PvP in the future to make it a more "fair" experience. We've had some feedback threads already on this kind of revamp, and we definitely welcome your thoughts!

CrimsonTider
01-13-2012, 03:09 PM
We have located the root cause of the glitch and are fast-tracking a fix. As the QA Manager for STS I humbly apologize that this bug may have interfered with an otherwise fun tournament. I feel somewhat culpable for the forum drama this caused and I hope that you all can put your differences aside and focus on the reason that we are here: to have a good time. Speculating on the morals of individual players does nothing but provoke ill-feelings from everyone involved, there's really no positive outcome from that. I extend a personal thank you to Sam, as none of this was his fault and he had to make a tough call due to it. I stand by his resolution of the matter. We're always striving to improve and we would like to revisit PvP in the future to make it a more "fair" experience. We've had some feedback threads already on this kind of revamp, and we definitely welcome your thoughts!

Flip...

Thank you for the update and for the apology. However, the forum drama had nothing to do with you, Sam, or any other member of STS. The drama stemmed from greed, rumors, misunderstandings, and personal agendas. Nothing STS needs to apologize for.

@Eden - looks like we have that fix and I agree with Swim. Whatever agenda/issue you have with with others in game or on forums, there is no need to say the entire pvp community is unhappy and is self imploding.

Flip
01-13-2012, 05:40 PM
The issue has now been fixed.

TrickiestFTW
01-13-2012, 05:42 PM
I love the shield, although I'll never get to use it on my main, maybe I'll make a twink to wear it :) definetly happy with the way Sam handled this, so thanks sam. Also I hope that no one keeps everything that happened in their mind a lot (eden) because if you do it'll only make you more stressed, so just let go and let life roll with the punches. Yesterday's history, Tomorrow's a mystery.
Sincerely,
-TrickiestFTW

Moogerfooger
01-13-2012, 05:45 PM

The unnecessary drama, or the glitch?

:rolleyes:

Flip
01-13-2012, 05:49 PM
The unnecessary drama, or the glitch?

:rolleyes:
Hopefully both! ;)

JaytB
01-13-2012, 06:10 PM

That was quick!

Kuddo's on how you guys handled this whole situation :)

CrimsonTider
01-13-2012, 06:18 PM
Hopefully both! ;)

Unfortunately, as long as children play this game, there will alwasy be drama.

StompArtist
01-13-2012, 06:31 PM
Unfortunately, as long as children play this game, there will alwasy be drama.

Maturity not age. ;)

Swimmingstar
01-13-2012, 08:59 PM
Maturity not age. ;)
Agreed, +1. I've heard of something made called agism... and agist.