PDA

View Full Version : Thread necro-ing at an all time high, what gives?

Ebalere
01-18-2012, 03:15 PM
I've noticed in the past week there has been about 50 really old posts revived, 2 of them being useful. I've also noticed alot thread derailing. I don't know why people are doing it, maybe like Kahlua said, the forums have been too quiet and people are looking to post somewhere?

Anyway, just thought I'd remind everyone that's guilty of this mass necroposting phenomenon to please consider the date of the original post, and if you have nothing to add to the discussion, please refrain from posting. There's plenty of good current discussions going on right now, and as someone who visits forums a few hours each day I find it highly annoying to have to sift through threads like Asommers grandma's birthday thread from 2 months ago just to find a legitimate thread to have worthwhile discussions in.

/rant

adidaman
01-18-2012, 03:17 PM
Necroing posts is fun. So what if people see a post from April 2010, what harm does it really do? A lot of the necroed posts are interesting

LelouchX
01-18-2012, 03:18 PM
Necroing posts is fun. So what if people see a post from April 2010, what harm does it really do? A lot of the necroed posts are interesting

like eb said, 2 were useful. when 50 useless threads are necro'd thats 50 new ones that don't get seen, things pertaining to the here and now, because they were shuffled down a list. it's just good forum etiquette.....

mrnofunz
01-18-2012, 03:34 PM
there's not much else to do...

Draopwnzall
01-18-2012, 03:36 PM
More contest's would be good...

Ardon
01-18-2012, 03:37 PM
It was the same guy who was doing it too

StompArtist
01-18-2012, 03:38 PM
Space reserved for a thread rev in 6 months.

Cahaun
01-18-2012, 03:46 PM
It was the same guy who was doing it too
Wasn't it that rap2xy guy?

MimeRifle
01-18-2012, 03:50 PM
Space reserved for a thread rev in 6 months.

You ninja!!!!! I was totally gonna say that! lol!! Great minds.... (or is it sick minds?) Meet you back here in six months. You revive it, then I'll derail it.

StompArtist
01-18-2012, 03:52 PM
You ninja!!!!! I waas totally gonna say that! lol!! Great minds.... (or is it sick minds?) Meet you back here in six months. You revive it, then I'll derail it.

It's a date... [insert awkwardness emoticon here]

adidaman
01-18-2012, 03:56 PM
I could out troll both of you guys with both hands behind by back. That being said, I will be the one to necro this thread muhahahaha

Slant
01-18-2012, 03:59 PM
bunch of people actually, at least someone's reading all those threads...
a handful of necros were much needed bumps tho

StompArtist
01-18-2012, 04:00 PM
I could out troll both of you guys with both hands behind by back. That being said, I will be the one to necro this thread muhahahaha

I already won. :D

http://www.spacetimestudios.com/showthread.php?19552-Stop-Reviving-Old-Posts!!!&highlight=thread+danielrh

adidaman
01-18-2012, 04:01 PM

http://www.spacetimestudios.com/showthread.php?19552-Stop-Reviving-Old-Posts!!!&highlight=thread+danielrh

Lol your awesome! Thumbs up from me when I get on my computer

MimeRifle
01-18-2012, 04:04 PM

LOL!!!! Stomp, you been makin' my day all day! Bless yer little heart.

LelouchX
01-18-2012, 04:08 PM
bunch of people actually, at least someone's reading all those threads...
a handful of necros were much needed bumps tho

agreed. i have been posting on one since it was necro'd. Most are useless bumps tho it seems

Swimmingstar
01-18-2012, 04:12 PM
IMO if someone does it continuously they should get banned for a period of time.

maiohwmai
01-18-2012, 06:45 PM
It could be said that creating a slew of new threads rather than using older ones would bump other threads just the same.

/devil's advocate

Honestly, I think it's a community preference thing. While I'm not new to the game I am newish to the forums. I've been on many message boards where necro-ing is preferred rather than creating a new thread for a topic that's already been discussed. If nothing else it shows the ability to search, and that should always be applauded.

Ebalere
01-18-2012, 07:03 PM
It could be said that creating a slew of new threads rather than using older ones would bump other threads just the same.

/devil's advocate

Honestly, I think it's a community preference thing. While I'm not new to the game I am newish to the forums. I've been on many message boards where necro-ing is preferred rather than creating a new thread for a topic that's already been discussed. If nothing else it shows the ability to search, and that should always be applauded.

True. But 80% of the threads I'm talking about were completely dead, and the person who necro'd them had nothing new to say, if anything at all. Also, it was basically only two people, and I could understand if they necro'd ONE old post to further the discussion on them, but to necro 50 in one day its clearly not someone looking for answers.. these threads died for a reason, and already people are saying "well we've got nothing better to do". That's not a reason to bury current topics under crap that's 6 months old. It's the same kinda people that enjoy posting fat baby pics on everyone's thread.

I'm a message board vet, have been on many different ones, and yes, most would prefer you search your topic first before posting a new one. But 9 times out of ten the question has not only been asked, but answered as well, meaning there's no need to post saying "awesome, thanks" or something like that and dig the whole thread up. It's a proven fact that necroposting annoys the community, just look at any of the necro'd threads and you'll see people are annoyed. You'll also see the culprit had nothing useful to add to the thread.

It's really not that big of a deal, but I just thought I'd remind newer people to be a little more cautious of the dates things get posted. No need for meaningless comments on a thread that was 8 pages or more back.

Artemis
01-18-2012, 07:10 PM
Who is it hurting? -.-

BodMaster
01-18-2012, 07:13 PM
LOL!!!! Stomp, you been makin' my day all day! Bless yer little heart.

Agreed!

javier995
01-18-2012, 07:17 PM
Who is it hurting? -.-

No one really, just not cool to do it i guess.

It does seem like it was the same dude, i asked him ingame and he didn't know what he was doing lol. His actions did have consequences tho:p

LelouchX
01-18-2012, 07:19 PM
Who is it hurting? -.-

hmmm, lets see. well, for one, me. how many of those necro'd threads eb referred to were in off topic? I didn't count, but every one pushes things down the list like, ummmm, my thread trying to get this community closer by participating in a google+ messenger outside of this game and this forum bc it helped me grow closer to my guildies and I wanted to share that with other people. and whoever mentioned mass making of threads, saying that is just as bad, I agree. it does the same thing. anyone with an opinion, suggestion, or anything that contributes in some way, shape, or form to the community should post it. tell me how reviving threads that are dead issues contributes? all it does is hide threads that do. like I said, if a useful thread is necro'd, then I tip my hat to the person who found it. it was probably hidden by other necro'd or nonsensical threads to begin with. I don't know what else to say here. I've accidentally necro'd a thread and 5 people bit my head off because I didn't check the post date. that's not the way to respond to someone who made a mistake, but someone bumping or posting pointless thread after thread isn't making a mistake, they are doing it annoy people. I consider it a form of trolling.

take my opinion for what it's worth, the way I view the situation.

Artemis
01-18-2012, 07:32 PM
hmmm, lets see. well, for one, me. how many of those necro'd threads eb referred to were in off topic? I didn't count, but every one pushes things down the list like, ummmm, my thread trying to get this community closer by participating in a google+ messenger outside of this game and this forum bc it helped me grow closer to my guildies and I wanted to share that with other people. and whoever mentioned mass making of threads, saying that is just as bad, I agree. it does the same thing. anyone with an opinion, suggestion, or anything that contributes in some way, shape, or form to the community should post it. tell me how reviving threads that are dead issues contributes? all it does is hide threads that do. like I said, if a useful thread is necro'd, then I tip my hat to the person who found it. it was probably hidden by other necro'd or nonsensical threads to begin with. I don't know what else to say here. I've accidentally necro'd a thread and 5 people bit my head off because I didn't check the post date. that's not the way to respond to someone who made a mistake, but someone bumping or posting pointless thread after thread isn't making a mistake, they are doing it annoy people. I consider it a form of trolling.

take my opinion for what it's worth, the way I view the situation.

Just because it lowered you thread that clearly no one liked or it wouldve been on top? Ouch. Might kill someone.

javier995
01-18-2012, 07:42 PM
Just because it lowered you thread that clearly no one liked or it wouldve been on top? Ouch. Might kill someone.

I wouldn't necessarily jump to conclusion of saying 'no one's liked it. Pft i liked looking at the pictures so i liked it, that's one person who liked it. Which makes the no one go to someone. Wait others posted on it right? Means I'm not the only one. Wait it got views right? Means others enjoyed looking at the pics as did i.

Meh if you guys are going to argue about someone reviving old threads, do it in pms plz.

Artemis, i believe i read somewhere on a revived post that the devs locked it BC its not suppose to be done. That being said, I'm guessing it COULD be a no-no. In other words, people react to it this way BC it's a no-no, so it seems.

Although that is how i see it, but I'm sure someone will tell me I'm wrong and blah blah blah. But i really don't want to read it, BC i am pretty sure the way i see it can't be changed:p. So save yourself the trouble if you're gonna try to make me see it some other way guys:)

Sent from my LG-MS690 using Tapatalk

adidaman
01-18-2012, 07:48 PM
I think everyone's making a huge deal out of nothing, and extremely long redundant posts don't make this an issue worth fighting. My 2 cents

Silentarrow
01-18-2012, 07:50 PM
I'm actually on the other side of the spectrum on this debate. I really see no problem in necro-posting... I actually find it pretty amusing how some respond to it ;).

LelouchX
01-18-2012, 07:53 PM

hahahaha, it's not at the bottom and I merely used it as an example bc it popped into my head. good attempt to take a cheap shot at me tho.

and yes javie, I've seen those threads locked as well, and I've seen the mass new topic/pointless/nonsensical threads posted by the same user who was bored moved, locked, and deleted. I often wonder if more than 10% of the people here even read the TOS....

Kahlua
01-18-2012, 07:53 PM
nananananananananananananananananana

http://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/gallery/files/5/4/7/7/holynecropostingbatman.jpg

javier995
01-18-2012, 07:56 PM
and yes javie, I've seen those threads locked as well, and I've seen the mass new topic/pointless/nonsensical threads posted by the same user who was bored moved, locked, and deleted. I often wonder if more than 10% of the people here even read the TOS....

I read the ToS (for the game not the forums, forums ToS is kinda common sense to me now idk why) for the game that one day the game was down for an hour. Lol I didn't go to school to play and the game was being updated for an hour lol.

LelouchX
01-18-2012, 07:58 PM
I read the ToS (for the game not the forums, forums ToS is kinda common sense to me now idk why) for the game that one day the game was down for an hour. Lol I didn't go to school to play and the game was being updated for an hour lol.
I wasn't calling anyone out in this thread with that post. just a general comment based on forum behavior I see. and yeah, the TOS are basically common sense and common curtesy from my eyes too

javier995
01-18-2012, 08:01 PM
I wasn't calling anyone out in this thread with that post. just a general comment based on forum behavior I see. and yeah, the TOS are basically common sense and common curtesy from my eyes too

I didn't take it as calling someone out lol, i just wanted to share that with you so i can keep you from cleaning your apartment again:p

Ebalere
01-18-2012, 08:02 PM
*retracted*

LelouchX
01-18-2012, 08:04 PM

javier995
01-18-2012, 08:05 PM
I just won 5 Bucks.

You should've bet higher!

Ebalere
01-18-2012, 08:07 PM
*retracted*

LelouchX
01-18-2012, 08:09 PM

javier995
01-18-2012, 08:11 PM
I know, it was such a for sure thing too! Dang.

Newt, I'll take that in small bills ;)

Lol, there'll be a next time! I think i know what you bet on lol

newt fail :-(
can I pay u in loonies?

What are loonies? Sorry for my lack of knowledge xD

Ebalere
01-18-2012, 08:13 PM
newt fail :-(
can I pay u in loonies?

Lol, Guess so.. don't be sad, I don't know why you would bet against me on that anyway, you know better.

Lol, there'll be a next time! I think i know what you bet on lol
What are loonies? Sorry for my lack of knowledge xD

The Canadian 1 dollar coin, lol, and I think you're probably guessing right, jav.

javier995
01-18-2012, 08:21 PM
Lol, Guess so.. don't be sad, I don't know why you would bet against me on that anyway, you know better.

The Canadian 1 dollar coin, lol, and I think you're probably guessing right, jav.

Lol I'm pretty sure what it is now lol. Oh that's what it is! Ty ty.

Swimmingstar
01-18-2012, 08:22 PM
Reserved spot to necro one day before Stomp. :p

Kahlua
01-18-2012, 09:20 PM
aww you guys talk about me outside of forums/in private...how sweet (read: creepy)

Here's another for you; ironically, it's also your bet money:

http://chzmemebase.files.wordpress.com/2011/04/memes-untitled23.jpg

Ebalere
01-18-2012, 09:24 PM
aww you guys talk about me outside of forums/in private...how sweet (read: creepy)

Haha, it was a joke, more or less saying I knew it was coming. Lel just caught on quickly. You need to work on your trolling Kahlua, getting too predictable.

Kahlua
01-18-2012, 10:07 PM
Its not trolling, I find these pictures funny.
It's only trolling when people over-react and freak out :p
Otherwise, it's more-or-less just 'off topic'

javier995
01-18-2012, 10:09 PM

Lol

He's being payed in loonies tho.

Ebalere
01-19-2012, 12:39 AM
Its not trolling, I find these pictures funny.
It's only trolling when people over-react and freak out :p
Otherwise, it's more-or-less just 'off topic'

PM sent.

NECROREAPER
01-19-2012, 01:23 AM
Did someone call? I heard necro and I came running as fast...

BodMaster
01-19-2012, 01:42 AM
Did someone call? I heard necro and I came running as fast...

javier995
01-19-2012, 01:53 AM

Are you stalking me? How did you get a pic of my home?

BodMaster
01-19-2012, 01:56 AM
Are you stalking me? How did you get a pic of my home?

Silly billy, it was more focused on the TumbleWeed :p

javier995
01-19-2012, 09:08 AM
Silly billy, it was more focused on the TumbleWeed :p

His name is Joe, he's my pet tumbleweed and i love him:D

Slant
01-19-2012, 12:14 PM
when a new thread is posted somebody invariably links to the old thread and says "hey look we already did this"

StompArtist
06-23-2014, 01:35 PM
It's a date... [insert awkwardness emoticon here]

Ok I was just about 2 years and a half late but I am here.

Pandamoni
06-23-2014, 03:08 PM

Haha...stomp, good to have you back we missed your humor!

Schnitzel
06-23-2014, 05:19 PM
Welcome back StompArtist

Attack Dog
06-23-2014, 05:29 PM
So? If STS really cared, they should auto delete them after a certain amount of time. But they should also make it so we do not lose post count.

Trenton
06-24-2014, 10:58 AM
I've only heard rumors about you o.o

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

StompArtist
06-24-2014, 11:17 AM
I've only heard rumors about you o.o

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Well that just made me feel like some kind of mythical creature.

programmed
06-24-2014, 12:09 PM

Welcome back!

Artemis
06-24-2014, 09:28 PM
Who is it hurting? -.-

I really wish I could punch the 2012 version of me in the face

StompArtist
06-25-2014, 07:24 AM

I wouldn't do that. Chairs might fly. ;)

razerfingers
06-25-2014, 04:20 PM
Did you disappear? lol

Artemis
06-25-2014, 07:07 PM
I wouldn't do that. Chairs might fly. ;)
Oh my god stop, that was one time lol

Did you disappear? lol

Yes and no. I just haven't been on in a really long time. Been too busy!

razerfingers
06-25-2014, 07:08 PM
Oh my god stop, that was one time lol

Yes and no. I just haven't been on in a really long time. Been too busy!
Ohhh okay makes sense

Seoratrek
06-26-2014, 07:51 PM
Oh the irony!