PDA

View Full Version : SOPA and PIPA and the webs reactions

Conradin
01-18-2012, 07:52 PM
thoughts?

Nick41324
01-18-2012, 07:58 PM
I'm watching a YouTube video now on it. What exactly does it limit?

Otukura
01-18-2012, 07:59 PM
I'm watching a YouTube video now on it. What exactly does it limit?

Better question: "What exactly doesn't it limit?"

Ardon
01-18-2012, 08:00 PM
Lots of people are barely finding out about these 2.

A couple months ago they would have a much bigger effect, the bills now are just a limp version now.

Still bad though

Nick41324
01-18-2012, 08:03 PM
Will it keep me from playing PL? xD

Swimmingstar
01-18-2012, 08:17 PM
Look at the Google Doodle...

www.google.com

Artemis
01-18-2012, 08:18 PM
https://www.google.com/landing/takeaction/

Id appreciate if you guys signed this petition to stop it. <3

Conradin
01-18-2012, 08:25 PM
Yea lets do it

Swimmingstar
01-18-2012, 08:27 PM
Or you could just do it a million times on your own, too. :)

javier995
01-18-2012, 08:27 PM
https://www.google.com/landing/takeaction/

Id appreciate if you guys signed this petition to stop it. <3

Signed and shared on Facebook.

Sent from my LG-MS690 using Tapatalk

Swimmingstar
01-18-2012, 08:29 PM
Lots of people are protesting.

Conradin
01-18-2012, 09:20 PM
i signed aswell. and you can use wikipedia if ya hit esc

Zeus
01-18-2012, 09:55 PM
So, this is why the word "Google" is blocked on their website. Clever Google... Got to love them!

Paar
01-18-2012, 10:00 PM
I dont get it? What is it*

Artemis
01-18-2012, 10:06 PM
Congress is shutting down websites to gain money for the economy. <- Simple basic version with barely any facts. happy? (;

Elyseon
01-18-2012, 10:08 PM
Its law restrict lots of website in an attempt to stop online piracy

Paar
01-18-2012, 10:08 PM
Congress is shutting down websites to gain money for the economy. <- Simple basic version with barely any facts. happy? (;

Very :) Thank You Artemis

Cahaun
01-18-2012, 10:26 PM
Signed the petition :)

WhoIsThis
01-18-2012, 10:27 PM
Either way, if you live in the United States, it's very important for your freedom that you fight this legislation.

It's a fight between an industry fighting to preserve a dying business model and the greater welfare of society.

Conradin
01-18-2012, 10:31 PM
Either way, if you live in the United States, it's very important for your freedom that you fight this legislation.

It's a fight between an industry fighting to preserve a dying business model and the greater welfare of society.

Beautifully said.

maneatingtree
01-18-2012, 10:41 PM
Hate the gov'm taking bribes and passing stupid bills :( ruined my day :(

BodMaster
01-18-2012, 10:46 PM
Educate yourselves..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qeEcoi8kEuU&feature=related

Phoenixking
01-18-2012, 10:48 PM
Yeah sopa is pipa is to messed up, an act to attempt to stop privacy, wont that just provoke more better pirates? I mean it wont sto anything, and it can easily be abused to cause censorship...it can also affect other countries for the chance of stopping revenue in america so its messed up, some people say that this is made because the big companies wanted nomore privacy and payed the gov't, i would believe that :o, by the way this is what I know this is very bad and takes the freedom of speech and expression of people in the US not cool >:o

Phoenixking
01-18-2012, 10:51 PM
Educate yourselves..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qeEcoi8kEuU&feature=related

Oh anonymous :o i was so curious about them and wiki'ed them and learned so much :o they have made so much OP and i seen the videos put of curiosity, there pretty epic In my opinion lol

BodMaster
01-18-2012, 10:59 PM
Yeah sopa is pipa is to messed up, an act to attempt to stop privacy, wont that just provoke more better pirates? I mean it wont sto anything, and it can easily be abused to cause censorship...it can also affect other countries for the chance of stopping revenue in america so its messed up, some people say that this is made because the big companies wanted nomore privacy and payed the gov't, i would believe that :o, by the way this is what I know this is very bad and takes the freedom of speech and expression of people in the US not cool >:o

Not just attempt, anything posted anything uploaded on the internet, in the US will become the Gov property. No matter what! As soon as its on their you do not own it any longer. A little different from an attempt at small piracy copies.

Oh anonymous :o i was so curious about them and wiki'ed them and learned so much :o they have made so much OP and i seen the videos put of curiosity, there pretty epic In my opinion lol

They are.. though very scary too, wouldn't want to be on the other end of their brilliance, though they have also been known to go a little far at times. This case they are spot on! By doing this people understand that's not just an attempt at stopping piracy, but they would have a bill to stop it and own anything on the web within the US.

Phoenixking
01-18-2012, 11:07 PM
Not just attempt, anything posted anything uploaded on the internet, in the US will become the Gov property. No matter what! As soon as its on their you do not own it any longer. A little different from an attempt at small piracy copies.

They are.. though very scary too, wouldn't want to be on the other end of their brilliance, though they have also been known to go a little far at times. This case they are spot on! By doing this people understand that's not just an attempt at stopping piracy, but they would have a bill to stop it and own anything on the web within the US.
ever seen that one thing by anonymous? People shouldn't fear the government the government should fear the people, the government is breaking there very own constitution for are freedom,basiclly that bill can not be permitted as it violates the constitution, if thats true people should stand up and make the government change it and take it away completely, cause we have the right to do that am i wrong? If i am sorry but it seems what im saying is true even if they wanted it that shouldnt be passed D:<

Conradin
01-18-2012, 11:10 PM
Anon is scary- they have big power. So does google tho- and wiki.

BodMaster
01-18-2012, 11:10 PM
If the first video didn't make you think, try this one..(deeper analysis of the bill)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrXyLrTRXso

BodMaster
01-18-2012, 11:19 PM

If this bill ever passed, the Gov would own Wiki and Google, anything they didn't want on the internet within the US they could do what ever like with it. No more YouTube, as nearly all the content within it could be fined and shut down, Google images, if that person posting uploading the image that they didn't own another fine and shutdown Google for allowing such things to go. It's massive if you think about it. If you uploaded a vid, and didn't realise you had some sort of copyrighted products showing or could be heard. That person could get fined and the gov could do what they like with the site/company that allowed it to happen. I know these are extreme cases but its best to be armed with this knowledge, rather than leaving it and letting them get away with the death of WWW as we know it.

ever seen that one thing by anonymous? People shouldn't fear the government the government should fear the people, the government is breaking there very own constitution for are freedom,basiclly that bill can not be permitted as it violates the constitution, if thats true people should stand up and make the government change it and take it away completely, cause we have the right to do that am i wrong? If i am sorry but it seems what im saying is true even if they wanted it that shouldnt be passed D:<

Exactly. I'm not even from the US, but either way this is going to effect everyone like I said.

If the vid I mentioned was uploaded onto these forums, and the owner of the content that could be seen/heard then the US Gov, would have the power to shut these forums down within an instance, along with some hefty bills.

plmafiaboss
01-18-2012, 11:25 PM
Oh america. Ur so dumb I'm ashamed to live here

StompArtist
01-18-2012, 11:26 PM

Never be ashamed of your country. Fight (the non-violent way please) for her and love her.

plmafiaboss
01-18-2012, 11:27 PM

If this bill ever passed, the Gov would own Wiki and Google, anything they didn't want on the internet within the US they could do what ever like with it. No more YouTube, as nearly all the content within it could be fined and shut down, Google images, if that person posting uploading the image that they didn't own another fine and shutdown Google for allowing such things to go. It's massive if you think about it. If you uploaded a vid, and didn't realise you had some sort of copyrighted products showing or could be heard. That person could get fined and the gov could do what they like with the site/company that allowed it to happen. I know these are extreme cases but its best to be armed with this knowledge, rather than leaving it and letting them get away with the death of WWW as we know it.hey. When u get right down to it they could control sts eventually right :eek:

StompArtist
01-18-2012, 11:28 PM
hey. When u get right down to it they could control sts eventually right :eek:

They could shut down these threads overnight. How many copyrighted material has been posted here by users?

plmafiaboss
01-18-2012, 11:30 PM

Never be ashamed of your country. Fight (the non-violent way please) for her and love her.meh. I don't like America. I'm not American. puerto Rico is a territory but it's where PUERTO RICANS derive from. Ever wonder why we not a state. We don't wanna be a state :mad:

plmafiaboss
01-18-2012, 11:31 PM
hey. When u get right down to it they could control sts eventually right :eek:

They could shut down these threads overnight. How many copyrighted material has been posted here by users?:eek:

StompArtist
01-18-2012, 11:32 PM
meh. I don't like America. I'm not American. puerto Rico is a territory but it's where PUERTO RICANS derive from. Ever wonder why we not a state. We don't wanna be a state :mad:

Oh sorry I wasn't aware that you had such feelings. Must be hard to live in a place you dislike!

plmafiaboss
01-18-2012, 11:33 PM
meh. I don't like America. I'm not American. puerto Rico is a territory but it's where PUERTO RICANS derive from. Ever wonder why we not a state. We don't wanna be a state :mad:

Oh sorry I wasn't aware that you had such feelings. Must be hard to live in a place you dislike!it iz. It is my friend

plmafiaboss
01-18-2012, 11:40 PM
Anyways. Hope this doesn't get passed. Basically all social networking they'll find a way to shut down and govt will control the Internet D:

BodMaster
01-18-2012, 11:40 PM
They could shut down these threads overnight. How many copyrighted material has been posted here by users?

Exactly! It's pretty big situation we've got, and everyone ateast need to know what its all about, and I fear without anonymous. Most would have gone along with it thinking it was just a small attempt to help decrease piracy.

On another note.. McDonald's are Pro-SOPA/PIPA.. boycott time?

plmafiaboss
01-18-2012, 11:43 PM

Exactly! It's pretty big situation we've got, and everyone ateast need to know what its all about, and I fear without anonymous. Most would have gone along with it thinking it was just a small attempt to help decrease piracy.

On another note.. McDonald's are Pro-SOPA/PIPA.. boycott time?oh heeeeell no. Someone just lost probably their number one cheese burger customer

BodMaster
01-18-2012, 11:45 PM
Anyways. Hope this doesn't get passed. Basically all social networking they'll find a way to shut down and govt will control the Internet D:

I hope so, and I'm sure it will! But everyone seriously needs to vote no matter what! If you all have the same thought of no worries everyone will vote and we will get it removed, then nothing will get done.

Here a quick article I found on the subject; (though this could be in some way of being copyright too..)

"The acts—supported by some big entertainment companies such as the Motion Picture Association of America and some media interests such as Time Warner—would prevent search engines like Google from showing sites flagged for piracy in their search results. It would also prevent online payment services such as eBay and PayPal from making transactions to them.

SOPA opponents say the acts would also lead to censorship and threaten the very structure of the Internet. Critics include many original architects of the Internet, such as the founders of Google, Twitter, Mozilla Firefox, Yahoo!, YouTube, LinkedIn, Flickr and more. On December 15, 83 of these “Internet engineers” signed an open letter to Congress stating their opposition to the SOPA and PIPA bills. ProPublica breaks down SOPA’s supporters and opponents in Congress.

To protest SOPA and PIPA,* up to 7,000 sites are planning to black out today, PC Magazine reported. In perhaps the most dramatic protest, Wikipedia’s English site has blacked out its 3.8 million encyclopedia pages. Visitors to the website will instead see a message beginning, “Imagine a world without free knowledge.” English Wikipedia receives 25 million average daily visitors globally, comScore estimates.

Google is still active but is protesting the acts on its homepage with a black rectangle over the search engine’s logo and the link: “Tell Congress: Please don’t censor the web!” "

Nick41324
01-19-2012, 12:13 AM
Im quite excited to see what anon does ^.^ and as long as they stay away from my PL, I'm good.

BodMaster
01-19-2012, 12:21 AM
Im quite excited to see what anon does ^.^ and as long as they stay away from my PL, I'm good.

Lol Nick :p

If this passes say bye to the forums ;)

Here's a list of all companies that support this,

http://judiciary.house.gov/issues/Rogue%20Websites/List%20of%20SOPA%20Supporters.pdf

SUPAPRODIGY
01-19-2012, 12:29 AM

well said

BodMaster
01-19-2012, 10:20 AM
I know its political crap, but please arm yourself with the knowledge this thread holds. It will effect everyone directly or in-directly.

BodMaster
01-19-2012, 07:47 PM
Here's another to sign.

MegaUpload under attack, where I watch some of my Anime from.

http://act.demandprogress.org/letter/megaupload_seizure/?akid=1155.183460._V_U5o&rd=1&t=2

Silentarrow
01-19-2012, 08:05 PM

Yes they are indeed, scary masterminds... ;)

Ardon
01-19-2012, 08:06 PM
Here's another to sign.

MegaUpload under attack, where I watch some of my Anime from.

http://act.demandprogress.org/letter/megaupload_seizure/?akid=1155.183460._V_U5o&rd=1&t=2

One thing to note.
Whats happening to megaupload is unrelated to SOPA/PIPA

Lol bod, they have sooo much anime :/

Silentarrow
01-19-2012, 08:42 PM

It seems as though Anonymous has already taken some action.

http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUS265333843320120120?irpc=932

Barrington
01-19-2012, 09:21 PM
i made a lol about it
http://cheezburger.com/View/5716903680 (http://cheezburger.com/View/5716903680?utm_source=trans&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=transglobal)

go give it 5 burgers

BodMaster
01-19-2012, 10:53 PM
One thing to note.
Whats happening to megaupload is unrelated to SOPA/PIPA

Lol bod, they have sooo much anime :/

Tho its unrelated, it will be hit hard if this passes. I'd go as far to say it would eventually end the WWW as we know it, it won't be fun no more forums such as these, no more social sites, no more search engines, I'm sure everyone gets the picture.

Artentreri
01-20-2012, 01:29 AM
Good luck to anonymous and everyone trying to shut this down, I've signed the petition for me and my girlfriend. I just don't really think it's gonna make too much difference in the end.. Look at the rights they've already taken from us, they can enter any household without warrant, arrest anyone without warrant, assassinate anyone without warrant... You think they're scared of repercussions from shutting down some Internet sites? I dunno, it just don't look too good.

Barrington
01-20-2012, 05:06 AM
i read somewhere that anon shut down the fbi's website for an hour

BodMaster
01-20-2012, 08:49 AM
Good luck to anonymous and everyone trying to shut this down, I've signed the petition for me and my girlfriend. I just don't really think it's gonna make too much difference in the end.. Look at the rights they've already taken from us, they can enter any household without warrant, arrest anyone without warrant, assassinate anyone without warrant... You think they're scared of repercussions from shutting down some Internet sites? I dunno, it just don't look too good.

Another reason to make this known to the oblivious, you think not? So many people read these things and think oh well its just another political discussion, how wrong will they be..

i read somewhere that anon shut down the fbi's website for an hour

Wouldn't surprise me buddy, they are a brilliance unknown to most of the world, even more brilliant than the 'super smart' people at NASA/Pentagon.

Barrington
01-20-2012, 08:53 AM
found a list of what they shut down
http://gizmodo.com/5877679

then they released a statement about it
http://pastebin.com/WEydcBVV

Skeokateva
01-20-2012, 08:59 AM

Nicely said,
& sign the petition from the Google link too:)
Thanks

BodMaster
01-20-2012, 09:03 AM
Exactly, without the internet Anon are powerless, why would they allow such a bill to pass without a fight?

Artentreri
01-20-2012, 09:40 AM
Exactly, without the internet Anon are powerless, why would they allow such a bill to pass without a fight?

They could always do it retro style, ya know picket signs, protests outside of the white house, full scale rioting and looting. :D

Barrington
01-20-2012, 09:41 AM
well i found some funny things about sopa
4920 4921

Artentreri
01-20-2012, 09:50 AM
Nice find bud, obamacare is in effect!

BodMaster
01-20-2012, 10:12 AM
They could always do it retro style, ya know picket signs, protests outside of the white house, full scale rioting and looting. :D

Lmao! Hahaa I could imagine! But all the members of anon would not want their identities known lol.

Awesome find Barry.

It's exactly what I meant, everyone does it. The pic I have on my desktop/screensaver isn't mine meaning I am in violation of this bill. What a joke..

Kahlua
01-20-2012, 10:16 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJIuYgIvKsc

Has this been posted here yet?

Watch this. It's so factual.

adidaman
01-20-2012, 10:18 AM
THIS. For those who can't see, it's a pic about the shutdown of "megauload.com". Yes you heard right, SOPA SHUTDOWN ONE OF THE WORLDS LEADING UPLOADING FILE SHARING SITES BECAUSE OF.... Wait for it... 22 "copyrighted" files. Yep. A billion dollar site was shut down because of a stupid law that the idiots in congress decided to pass. This bill will destroy the Internet. Slowly, like a disease. First, it will strike simple sites with not much support, slowly tearing the sites limb from limb and destroying them. But after a while, small sites just won't do it for them. THEY'LL TARGET OUR SITES, FACEBOOK YOUTUBE TWITTER REDDIT- you name it, none are safe. No matter how many users, how much support, how much GOVERMENTAL backing, SOPA allows sites to be shut down because of the simplest things. So next time you post those song lyrics or that picture on Facebook, the government wouldn't have to bat an eye to shut down the ENTIRE SITE. Yep, because of one instance of copyrighted material.

*ahem*
You can resume normal activities now

Ardon
01-20-2012, 10:22 AM
THIS. For those who can't see, it's a pic about the shutdown of "megauload.com". Yes you heard right, SOPA SHUTDOWN ONE OF THE WORLDS LEADING UPLOADING FILE SHARING SITES BECAUSE OF.... Wait for it... 22 "copyrighted" files. Yep. A billion dollar site was shut down because of a stupid law that the idiots in congress decided to pass. This bill will destroy the Internet. Slowly, like a disease. First, it will strike simple sites with not much support, slowly tearing the sites limb from limb and destroying them. But after a while, small sites just won't do it for them. THEY'LL TARGET OUR SITES, FACEBOOK YOURUBE TWITTER REDDIT- you name it, none are safe. No matter how many users, how much support, how much GOVERMENTAL backing, SOPA allows sites to be shut down because of the simplest things. So next time you post those song lyrics or that picture on Facebook, the government wouldn't have to bat an eye to shut down the ENTIRE SITE. Yep, because of one instance of copyrighted material.

*ahem*

Sopa/pipa haven't been passed yet...

Shutting down megaupload has to do with piracy but isn't a direct effect of SOPA/PIPA

adidaman
01-20-2012, 10:23 AM
THIS. For those who can't see, it's a pic about the shutdown of "megauload.com". Yes you heard right, SOPA SHUTDOWN ONE OF THE WORLDS LEADING UPLOADING FILE SHARING SITES BECAUSE OF.... Wait for it... 22 "copyrighted" files. Yep. A billion dollar site was shut down because of a stupid law that the idiots in congress decided to pass. This bill will destroy the Internet. Slowly, like a disease. First, it will strike simple sites with not much support, slowly tearing the sites limb from limb and destroying them. But after a while, small sites just won't do it for them. THEY'LL TARGET OUR SITES, FACEBOOK YOURUBE TWITTER REDDIT- you name it, none are safe. No matter how many users, how much support, how much GOVERMENTAL backing, SOPA allows sites to be shut down because of the simplest things. So next time you post those song lyrics or that picture on Facebook, the government wouldn't have to bat an eye to shut down the ENTIRE SITE. Yep, because of one instance of copyrighted material.

*ahem*

Sopa/pipa haven't been passed yet...

Shutting down megaupload has to do with piracy but isn't a direct effect of SOPA/PIPA

It's the correlation that I'm trying to point out. It's almost like a warning.
Thanks for adding that though, don't wanna confuse people

adidaman
01-20-2012, 10:25 AM
Edit

BodMaster
01-20-2012, 10:28 AM
^^This^^ is reason I have been trying to inform everyone here what's going on.

Though Adid, I believe you have them mixed up, this bill will hit the massive companies/sites first the others will just weed out overtime.

How many violations do you believe could be found in wiki, Google images, YouTube, Facebook etc, millions, meaning they would be attacked first.

Ardon
01-20-2012, 10:28 AM
It's the correlation that I'm trying to point out. It's almost like a warning.
Thanks for adding that though, don't wanna confuse people

Don't want people freaking out thinking they were passed lol

I totally agree with you though. They can take a site down for even the smallest piece copyright material.

Congress shouldn't tamper with something they don't understand.

The internet is/has become a major part of the economy.

adidaman
01-20-2012, 10:30 AM
Thanks bod, that's a good point.

BodMaster
01-20-2012, 10:36 AM
The vote will be taken on the 24th Jan, 6 days from the 18th. It looks like Obamas admin, have confirmed if this bill passes by US Congress, they will not allow it.(never say for sure, but keep voting if and when you can)