PDA

View Full Version : An elixir that lasts for one year

WhoIsThis
01-18-2012, 08:57 PM
In response to the many elixir complaints that still rage on today and the less than luck-warm response to my subscription idea, I have a simple solution.

An elixir lasting one year.

This elixir would:
1. Offer 4x to armor, damage, and xp
2. Offer increased speed
3. Offer 100% luck
4. Offer anything that any future elixir offered

Price: 2000 platinum
And ... 500 platinum for each additional character after the first one.

I think that this has the potential to increase sales, rather than to decrease platinum sales. Only a small proportion of players will ever burn platinum. Does it not make sense to make them feel as if they are getting the most out of their money? It would also VASTLY decrease the negative perceptions around the game.

Similarly, for people who are undecided - people overwhelmingly favor paying once over the carnival model of paying for each run (or for each hour). This could be the push that does it for them.

One year is the ideal time. One month is too short, while one year is good because as a mobile, people come and go. A lifetime elixir could also be offered for 4k platinum plus 1k per additional character on that account.

Edit:

This is intended to be a win-win-win.

Win for elixir users: 35 plat/hour adds up pretty quickly. How many hours do you spend as a hardcore farmer per year? If the answer is more than 57, you'll want this.
Win for on-the-fence users: Now elixirs are not the money burner. You know how much to spend and you know what you're gonna get. The only question is - do you want it?
Win for devs: A higher proportion of players will spend money on elixirs and buy this. All hardcore players will buy this. All of them. This will lead to a net increase in plat sales. There will be far fewer complaints about devs who only want money.

Finally, players will want to spend more time playing since it's a one year elixir or in the case of their lifetime elixir, maxing out their investment. There is a strong correlation between the time spent and the platinum sales. Plenty of time for vanities (make sure they don't add stats except for persistence ones) and other sources of revenue.

Edit 2:

No refunds will be offered. If you pick it - you'd better be sure this is what you truly want.

Conradin
01-18-2012, 09:08 PM
Not gunna lie i actually like this- its a subscription of sorts.

CrimsonTider
01-18-2012, 09:13 PM
I would do this without blinking an eye. Excellent idea. Many don't think about it but when leveling/farming, it does take time to purchase an elixir in mid run or have to go to the guild hall and miss a run in the meantime.

Silentarrow
01-18-2012, 09:13 PM
Yep^^

WhoIsThis
01-18-2012, 09:18 PM
If implemented, this will be the first suggestion that I have ever made that was implemented.

Naonagotek
01-18-2012, 09:36 PM
Only prob would if you want to help lower lvl no pause button

XghostzX
01-18-2012, 09:42 PM
Honestly, I gotta say I love this idea. Great way for STS to rack up some cash too. Nice one elf.

javier995
01-18-2012, 09:52 PM

No pause button needed if it lasts a whole year.

Its like this (i think): it will go out when you reach the one year anniversary. It doesn't go by the time in a year, but slowly counts down whether you use it or not.

WhoIsThis
01-18-2012, 09:53 PM

It's intended to last one year. Use it or lose. With one year though, there's plenty of time to use it.

octavos
01-18-2012, 09:57 PM
I would love to say yay on this idea but being a plat spender sts would actually lose profit for the reson that a each update I purchase 2k and cap 3 toons (my xp)....if this lasted a year, I would only do this once. If sts released at least 5 updates in a year they would lose 400 bucks from me.....just my opinion ;)

On the other hand
but if this was a subscription I would not waste a second.

WhoIsThis
01-18-2012, 10:02 PM
I would love to say yay on this idea but being a plat spender sts would actually lose profit for the reson that a each update I purchase 2k and cap 3 toons (my xp)....if this lasted a year, I would only do this once. If sts released at least 5 updates in a year they would lose 400 bucks from me.....just my opinion ;)

On the other hand
but if this was a subscription I would not waste a second.

The thing is, you are one person. And one that represents an outlier in terms of platinum spent. How many more people would buy this because of it? Let's see, if they lose $400 a year from you, then it would take 2 additional people who spend platinum, just not as much as you do to buy this and it would be more than solved.

People find the idea of subscriptions intimidating I'm afraid. I have already suggested it before.

JaytB
01-18-2012, 10:02 PM
I like the idea.

The thing is that many people have multiple toons that they level to the end level cap, and buy elix way beyond that. Let's say you level 3 toons to each level cap (1 of each class), this would cost you 3000 plat. Given that devs said they intend to increase the level cap every 2-3 months, that would mean 1 year would be around 4 level cap increases (when using 3 months as a timeline). 4 level cap increases for 3000 plat, for 3 toons, is way less than what the hardcore player currently spends/will spend to get 3 toons up to the next level caps and/or simply farm IMO.

This is, at least, what I see from personal experience. Seeing how many people run potted these days, my guess is that plat elixes are in fact the biggest source of money for STS. Before plat elixes were implemented, 2000 plat seemed to last a lifetime, while now, it's barely an exceptional amount anymore. People pay 36-40 plat for something that's gone after an hour. Furthermore, combo elixers aren't only bought by people to level up. They're also very often bought just to farm. Most of my friends are lvl66 already, but we still, more often than not, run all potted just to speed up our runs.

So yeah, I really like the idea, and I would immediately spend 2000 plat to get one of those. For me, as a player, It would definitely be much cheaper in the long run. For STS on the other hand, I'm not so sure if they would get better from this. So if it's a win-win-win as you said, I'm not so sure of.

Swords
01-18-2012, 10:08 PM
PRoblem: what if some of us players have like 100 platinums instead of like 2000 platinums, not gonna lie but some of the player in pl wouldnt wanna waste over 100 bucks on a single virtual elixir and what if u reached the lvl cap? u just wasted like 1/5 of the elixir waiting for next lvl cap?

javier995
01-18-2012, 10:14 PM
PRoblem: what if some of us players have like 100 platinums instead of like 2000 platinums, not gonna lie but some of the player in pl wouldnt wanna waste over 100 bucks on a single virtual elixir and what if u reached the lvl cap? u just wasted like 1/5 of the elixir waiting for next lvl cap?

Its not just the xp, it has 100% (lol I'm saying it as if its implemented already xD) luck so you can farm too.

Some people don't even have plat, but IMO this would motivate them to try and buy some.

Sent from my LG-MS690 using Tapatalk

WhoIsThis
01-18-2012, 10:20 PM
I think that several of the posts are missing my point. I will therefore repeat.

Simply by encouraging people to buy the one year, enough people should buy the one year to offset the outliers that spend thousands per month.

Furthermore, because people spend money on elixirs, they will want to spend more time in game to get the most of their money. More time = more sales in other things.

Finally, in the long run, people who spend money on elixirs per hour inevitable realize that it sucks. Many will quit. With this idea, there are fewer people leaving.

@Swords:
Plenty of people at level cap buy elixirs too. Level cap people by no means "waste" elixirs. A one year and a lifetime elixir are both very viable options for level cap farming.

Twinklaser
01-18-2012, 10:36 PM
I like this idea but have something to add:
60 plat a week contract/3120 plat a year
225 plat a month contract/2700 plat a year
1175 6 month contract/2375 plat a year
2000 plat 1 year contract
30 plat trial(1 time only)

Please consider…

WhoIsThis
01-18-2012, 10:37 PM
@Twink

Adds unneeded complexity. Just keep it simple. 1 year for 2,000 plat, 4,000 for life.

Twinklaser
01-18-2012, 10:46 PM
If you want it simple……… Then agreed:). +1

WhoIsThis
01-18-2012, 10:53 PM
If you want it simple……… Then agreed:). +1

Simple means more people are likely to understand and therefore, buy.

Sapient
01-18-2012, 11:16 PM
4,000 for life? I would not play this game if players could purchase a permanent stat bonus for insane amounts of platinum. It totally ruins the whole idea of not needing to spend a dime in the game, even though that in itself is a flawed concept.

okakabarah
01-18-2012, 11:20 PM
I really like the idea, count me in!!

And if it is a matter of money make it 3000k a year, Im in anyway :)

plmafiaboss
01-18-2012, 11:20 PM
The case of the one year elixir sales on plat would go up in the beginning of each year then down for the rest of the year as players see that it's cheaper for them in the longrun to buy the two thousand one for a whole year. If all the hardcore players buy it I think sts might lose money cuz once u have it its pointless to buy any other elixirs IMO

StompArtist
01-18-2012, 11:21 PM
Playing Devils advocate: Could that cause the new content to be much harder rendering the effect of elixirs almost nil while making the game extremely difficult for folks not on elixirs?

JaytB
01-18-2012, 11:32 PM
4,000 for life? I would not play this game if players could purchase a permanent stat bonus for insane amounts of platinum. It totally ruins the whole idea of not needing to spend a dime in the game, even though that in itself is a flawed concept.

You got a point here. This change could potentially widen the gap between plat spenders and non-plat spenders even more than it currently already is. It could potentially mean a lot of people would quit, because they feel they can't compete without having to spend real life money. This would cause the opposite effect as to what the OP is presenting.

As for people logging on more when they would've bought this type of elix, I'm not really sure about that either. Sure they would, at first, until the 'new' wears off. It remains to be seen how much it actually would make people log on more as opposed to make people leave because they feel at a disadvantage just because they won't buy plat.

As I said already, I really like the idea but, for the reasons I mentioned in this and my last post, I seriously doubt it will benefit either STS or the entire community in the long run. But that might just be me :)

Sapient
01-19-2012, 12:07 AM
If we are looking to encourage more log in's, wouldn't this counter-act that? If you want players to continue playing, then putting them onto the fast track to end game seems silly.

To me, the entire elixir system seems flawed. Spacetime says they are optimal content and do not need to be purchased, but lets be honest, how boring is it to run mount fang without elixirs? It is almost like the mobs were made to be easy, but slow to kill without them. When elixirs are introduce, you can clear mobs really fast and not much of a change in difficulty.

Spacetime might as well sell exp for platinum, that is essentially all elixirs are doing in most cases. In fact, some people might prefer that, because grinding isn't for everybody.

WhoIsThis
01-19-2012, 12:24 AM
Playing Devils advocate: Could that cause the new content to be much harder rendering the effect of elixirs almost nil while making the game extremely difficult for folks not on elixirs?

It probably will.

But I don't think that is a big problem. They will just run along with games with elixir runners tolerant enough not to boot.

One benefit of a year long elixir is that there's much less incentive to get the most out of that hour by booting non-elixir users. However, yes, there will be an even greater segregation than before between elixir and non-elixir games.

My solution: Whenever a host creates a game, they should:

1. Elixir and non-elixir uses welcome
2. Elixir only (elixir hosts only)
3. Non-elixir only (only available if player doesn't have an elixir)

I think though under the circumstances, the "lesser evil" argument comes into play. Non-elixir users probably are not that big a source of platinum either for STS.

WhoIsThis
01-19-2012, 12:25 AM
If we are looking to encourage more log in's, wouldn't this counter-act that? If you want players to continue playing, then putting them onto the fast track to end game seems silly.

Not at all. End game farming is a very big event in PL. So is PvP. I don't know how much experience you have in either, but PvPers don't want to spend all their days farming. They get no joy from PvE - they want the cap ASAP and end game gear ASAP to return to the comparatively more interesting world of PvP.

AbsolutePally
01-19-2012, 10:46 AM
This does sounds tempting, not going to lie.

But maybe it is just me, 1 year commitment for a mobile app and $100 bucks. This however would make me want to farm more - play pve, and it would provide a sense of security that my main at least would always, in that year, meet caps and quickly. Another thing is... A lot of kids play this game and $100 bucks could be a lot to them, not to mention many adults as well.
On the fence with this one, but it is an ingenious proposal that could do a lot for the game but have potential problems.
What if a player purchases then quits, gets banned, loses their account, phone, moves, gets a gf, starts working more, school etc. then this would create a refund controversy, even though sts does mot refund plat for money. Many complications. Hmm

drewcapu
01-19-2012, 10:53 AM
What people are basically asking for is another app:

Pocket Legends - Easy Mode

StompArtist
01-19-2012, 10:55 AM
What people are basically asking for is another app:

Pocket Legends - Easy Mode

God Mode for 5K plat.

Ebalere
01-19-2012, 11:22 AM
This does sounds tempting, not going to lie.

But maybe it is just me, 1 year commitment for a mobile app and $100 bucks. This however would make me want to farm more - play pve, and it would provide a sense of security that my main at least would always, in that year, meet caps and quickly. Another thing is... A lot of kids play this game and $100 bucks could be a lot to them, not to mention many adults as well.
On the fence with this one, but it is an ingenious proposal that could do a lot for the game but have potential problems.
What if a player purchases then quits, gets banned, loses their account, phone, moves, gets a gf, starts working more, school etc. then this would create a refund controversy, even though sts does mot refund plat for money. Many complications. Hmm

Not to mention if the people that spend $100 or more per update started buying these it would cost STS a fortune.

Taaralatie
01-19-2012, 11:23 AM
Have to admit I was sitting on the fence with this one but after a few moments of thought decided it sounds like a really good idea. As far as my playing goes by the time of the next update I will have 5 chars to cap. The 2000 plat a year deal plus 500 per additional character sounds like a dream come true! I must definitely spend this amount on a regular basis. However what to do with my other 18 twinks? I can't possibly buy them all a years subscription! Would still need the option to buy individual elixirs unless there was a grand lifetime account elixir? I would be very tempted to buy that.

Ixillicus
01-19-2012, 12:37 PM
I think that this is a great idea. I certainly would buy it. I spend about 800 plat per level cap increase, but I know other people spend more. I think the benefits would be awesome, not having to leave maps, not having to restock or do any of that annoying stuff.

For people who say it will increase the gap between plat/non-plat... well the gap is already there. The people who would buy this are the same people who already spend all PVE time potted anyway, so it wouldn't be any different. This gives me an incentive to play, and even if I don't, STS is going to have my 2000 plat. In the current system I have to play to buy them, so if I don't play they won't get any money. Its like locking yourself in to a long-term commitment.

Another argument... people won't spend as much, because they will buy this even though they would have bought more platinum to use elixirs in the pricing scheme they are at now. I disagree with this, people who buy the 2000 plat option will still need and still will buy plat for things like respecs, DOTD, vanity, rings etc. Also, with this shift to the new pay-per-play boss stomps, I and many others would probably use our year long elixir and buy the pay-to-play maps to do the farming.

adidaman
01-19-2012, 12:40 PM
Yeah this is absolutely perfect. Now we can have 3x more elitist, rich noobs with daddy's credit card wrecking the game for us regular players.

Ixillicus
01-19-2012, 02:50 PM
Yeah this is absolutely perfect. Now we can have 3x more elitist, rich noobs with daddy's credit card wrecking the game for us regular players.

Oh, hello there flamer.

adidaman
01-19-2012, 02:54 PM

Oh, hello there flamer.

Hello :D I prefer "truth that no one else has the guts to say for the fear of being hated"er. Flamer works too though

mackjack
01-19-2012, 08:57 PM
I like Drew and Stomp's idea better. Why the measely 3x mode? If we are going down this route, might as well give us a God or "Dev" mode for some outrageous amount of plat. You know, 9999 xp, 9999 damage, 9999 regen, 9999 armor, and all that. No skills, strategy, or time needed -- just buy your way to 133t-ness. Instant gratification, baby!

Sarcasm aside, the number of crappy players using thrasher elixers as a crutch is already bad enough. If you thought the Mynas and Keeper gens were bad, the 365/24/7 thrasher-gen will be much worse.

WhoIsThis
01-19-2012, 09:12 PM

You realize that there are a lot of people who are working full time right? Not everybody is a teenager here and not everybody here is spending daddy's money.

WhoIsThis
01-19-2012, 09:15 PM
I like Drew and Stomp's idea better. Why the measely 3x mode? If we are going down this route, might as well give us a God or "Dev" mode for some outrageous amount of plat. You know, 9999 xp, 9999 damage, 9999 regen, 9999 armor, and all that. No skills, strategy, or time needed -- just buy your way to 133t-ness. Instant gratification, baby!

Sarcasm aside, the number of crappy players using thrasher elixers as a crutch is already bad enough. If you thought the Mynas and Keeper gens were bad, the 365/24/7 thrasher-gen will be much worse.

That's not my goal. I've already indicated my goal. To enable players to save money while hopefully increasing net platinum sales.

There are already permanent noobs in the game. And if there are permanent noobs created, at least they'll be on elixir the whole time. Even so - noobs with elixir > noobs without them in terms of usefulness. Noobs without them are worse than useless in a party - they get themselves killed and blame the others.

Battlelock
01-19-2012, 09:21 PM
Maybe 5000k. There's a plat package for 2000k plat for 89$ so you're suggesting 89$ for a year subscription?

2000K/89$ seems too low for a year to me.

Not to mention I think it's absolutely absurd to have a HUGE advantage over everyone yearly.

I think they should up all their current prices for plat by 50%-100%. Making it extremely costly for people to gain advantage on others.

This idea is HUGELY a bad idea. Financially for STS and not to mention respected gamer community rep. This idea has NO BENEFIT to anyone other than the OP with daddy's credit card & all the rest that need/want an advantage over the regular public.

Can't seriously believe all you would even ENTERTAIN this idea. You obviously haven't looked at the long term repercussions!

WhoIsThis
01-19-2012, 09:25 PM
Maybe 5000k. There's a plat package for 2000k plat for 89$ so you're suggesting 89$ for a year subscription?

2000K/89$ seems too low for a year to me.

Not to mention I think it's absolutely absurd to have a HUGE advantage over everyone yearly.

I think they should up all their current prices for plat by 50%-100%. Making it extremely costly for people to gain advantage on others.

People need to feel that they are getting their money's worth.

What I find odd is that this community is suffering from Stockholm Syndrome. Let me get this straight - you want to pay more money for the same services? $90 is in line with what other MMOs of similar calibre would likely demand for a subscription. Plus, increasing the price too much might ironically hurt STS - a net decrease in total revenues if pricing is too out of whack.

Twinklaser
01-19-2012, 09:44 PM
Kk, saw a few more problems I want to be cleared.
1. Increased drop rates would result in a massive drop in price.
2. Having x4 100% of the time seems pretty OP. Maybe x2 max? Or else players could solo dungeons ruining the party system.

XghostzX
01-20-2012, 12:53 AM
Kk, saw a few more problems I want to be cleared.
1. Increased drop rates would result in a massive drop in price.
2. Having x4 100% of the time seems pretty OP. Maybe x2 max? Or else players could solo dungeons ruining the party system.

Maybe the elix can have some limitations to it. Only green items can drop. x4 seems reasonable if it's going to cost a lot of platinum... besides, using a 4x pot doesn't make you invincible.

Skeokateva
01-21-2012, 04:23 PM
I would most likely buy any version of extended elixirs:)

Sapient
01-22-2012, 02:42 AM
To me, this suggestion is too radical. I have not seen a realistic compromise yet. The only way this suggestion would ever be considered is if we found a fair compromise.

Pros -
PvP'ers can spend more time in PvP
Market prices would drop (bad for extreme players, good for casual)
Players who already run with elixirs on a regular basis would benefit from a wholesale purchase

Cons -
Purchase "God Mode"
x4 100% of the time = devs need to produce new content x4 faster 100% of the time. (Players got bored without x4 before major updates came out)
Sets the standard that you must spend money to have any sort of advantage in game
After you get end level and farm all your gear, then what? x4 elixirs = Finishing the game x4 faster. (Guess it profits STS if player gets bored and quits, 100 bucks down the drain).
Levels would have to be beefed up or else elixir people would dominate stupidly easy. Which then leaves non-elixir players at a major disadvantage and could cause drama (booted from game for not spending 100$ on essentially cheat codes)

I could go on for awhile with cons, but I think that is enough. If anyone has any other pros they would like tho throw in, be my guest, I couldn't think of anymore and I thought long and hard about it.

JTZ
01-22-2012, 04:23 AM
I doubt sts would ever do this... 2000 is worth like 50 4x elixers... So sts could make more money off of the 4x ones

Flaorakrisa
02-12-2012, 11:07 AM
Its a good idea but come on guys.... 2000 plat for a year??? That's waaay to cheap! You guys want something that last you 50 hours to last for a year???
Are you serious? :) we all like fancy stuff... but this is a really selfish idea.
Imagine: you are paying 40$ a month for your cellphone. And you come to your cell provider and tell them that you will pay $2000 right now and they have to provide you with a lifetime cell reception and internet? Do you think any company would do it for you??? Answer: NOT! If you really hardcore player and can't live without using elixirs then stop complaining and buy platinum at whatever cost it is...

I personally want to live in a nice 5star hotel at a cost of $2,000 a year... ...make it even $10,000 a year! Its still cheaper than my mortgage lol :) but it's not gonna happen :p

Elyseon
02-12-2012, 11:35 AM
So basically an anti-skill elixir?