PDA

View Full Version : Teamwork, Ironman2, and the Killbox

Arjun
07-27-2010, 12:30 AM
Attention Forum Dwellers, Lurkers, Speakers, and Tweaker’s; I’m only discussing it cause it needs to be discussed.

Running through AO2 is about a hell of a lot more than simply rushing in and spamming mana and health potions and looting loots. There needs to be a demonstrable execution of strategy and skill to get it just right.

As Master Yoda himself has said: Control. You Must Learn Control.

Now we have all pulled our fair share of D’jinns to know that they are a near sight easier to kill without their mummies to back them up. But here’s the thing. Even the mummies themselves are much much easier to kill if you keep them just far enough apart so as to prevent them from healing each other. And I wouldn’t think this needs to be discussed but you’d be surprised at how many groups are ignoring this fact.

Speaking from recent experiences at the plasma pyramid, it was hard to deal with mobs of the mummies wrapped in those greenish rags. The blue rag dudes are easier. But again only if separated by about that much from the greens. Because the greens is healers. And the more closely grouped together the more healing they get going between them. Clearly, Im ignoring the white rag ones because they are the exclusive victims of xp farmers and such.

Getting back to the mob of healers - the most uber-warrior can be hacking away with his uber-rare-never-to-drop-again-ever-pink-wep; and it won’t make much of a difference as long as he/she is in the middle of said mob. To get around the problem of mobs that heal; what has got to be done is effective crowd control. For instance, if a mage wants to fireblast, the idea is to chose an angle that sends as many badguys into the teams killbox as possible. If this means taking a few extra hits to move into a more favorable position - then do that.

What is the killbox? Well it’s like Ironman2 got explained to him in his most recent Hollywood outing; the killbox is where you go to get ded. Or where you bring baddies in to make ded. The choice is yours.

Basically you and your crew of five has just fought furiously to clear a room or a corridor as you begin your midnight raid. This being the room or corridor immediately in-front of the team spawn-point. Use that space to surround single targets and finish them off effectively. Remember, this as opposed to running forward and going ballistic on potions while hacking away at a zombie dude what should have been ded three slashes and two stomps ago at the very least.

If a warrior wants to stomp; then swing around ur target and send him out of range of his healers. Or his healers out of rage of your current target. Unless of course you got a Kopesh of Anubis and a PL official shield and the devs is ur buddies and have the game rigs so tht u always rule. What you want to do is put ur opponent into your team killbox [can apply to PvP as well but I’m just talking about PvE here].

Choose your Battlefield wisely and the loot is already won. Sounds like old Stun Tzuy I know. But is Me.

Archers - for PvE you need thornwall and thornroot. You have to deploy for crowd control. Your job is to protect the magey as much as the warriors is. Because it’s a long and lonely walk back to the front. Especially if you have to watch sweet pink loots drop like so much acid rain on your way back in. And unless the Archers have suddenly learned to cast Revive Spells I don’t see what business they have in a PvE dungeon having attributed 0-2 skill points on thornwall and given nothing to thornroot. Seriously. I’m going to start asking.

Mistakes, meanwhile, stand to be made. A magey can fireblast having negotiated themselves into a good position only to send the warrior hacking away happily into the midst of a mob. Target fixation as pilot’s call it. Or being too lazy to tap and reselect the next nearest target wot is a threat as in this case. Which is what any characters controller should have the good sense to do. Archers - you can’t cause damage to a baddie wot’s been fireblasted and stomped to the far side of the battlefield. Tap and click to shoot at something closer. Had you been foresightful enough to skill up thornwall, you can hold that target off to snipe at again later.

The Key, ultimately, is to stay as shallow as possible. Healing radius of the magey.*Archers rooting targets long enough for warriors to hack them apart while expending as little mana as possible - between which and the healing magey should save enough gold to spend on the other good stuff - elixir’s and goods looted by someone else. For which bidding will shortly commence at the local auction house. No?

Bonus Material: Formation Flight.

Now I haven't tried this in the Pyramids yet (wot with the corridors of attack being much narrower), but I have led many a successful group through the swamps in what is fondly (and respectfully) referred to as - a flying V formation.

More on this as I edit. Was keen to put up the strategy and hope it gets maximum eyeballs. So the next run feels more coordinated and less of an effort to simply reach the slot machines, sorry D’jinns, having suffered as few death’s as possible.

Arjun
07-27-2010, 08:27 AM
Wht gives. . .no feedback?

bmc85uk
07-27-2010, 11:23 AM
I didn't read it all, but no offence, tactics in PL are a joke, it's a hack and slash affair.

Sure a team of good players can do more than a team of idiots, but the game is so easy I could play it with my feet, I'm literally praying for the day that STS turn it up a notch, luckily, I think they have plans in motion working towards this.

Tavore
07-27-2010, 11:24 AM
All you need to do is spam skills and watch your health... Its still fun though :)

Arjun
10-06-2010, 12:59 AM
Ao3 - Was a post about the swamps before crokkies was neutered (thnk u thnk u thnk u) Thought is Needed Now More Than Ever I Say. . .

Dizko
10-06-2010, 01:01 AM
I didn't read it all, but no offence, tactics in PL are a joke, it's a hack and slash affair.

Sure a team of good players can do more than a team of idiots, but the game is so easy I could play it with my feet, I'm literally praying for the day that STS turn it up a notch, luckily, I think they have plans in motion working towards this.

How do you feel about AO3?

Arjun
10-06-2010, 01:07 AM
Haha. . .good point Dizko. Was thinking I could of mentioned tht old quote in there as well but didnt want to be all clever while not being smart about it. Seriously tho - tactics is no joke. Not since the Leaderboards - And we all want's to be on it. As much as we all want's our very own spacesuits. So as we dont have to go behind no stinkin bushes to relieve ourselves and whatnot.

Dizko
10-06-2010, 01:10 AM
Oh man I want one now.

I wont have to take potty breaks while killing aliens.

Arjun
10-06-2010, 01:13 AM
I Rest's My Case!!

Drewl90
10-06-2010, 01:14 AM
haha arjun. i think you were a wee bit too detailed.
most of us are pretty lazy to read everything. :)

if u post pictures with descriptions that would be much more interesting though.

Arjun
10-06-2010, 01:30 AM
Drewllll. .. . read. Is good for ya. Feed your head!!!

Drewl90
10-06-2010, 01:37 AM
Drewllll. .. . read. Is good for ya. Feed your head!!!

haha i'll feed my head with my studies. :D

ShadowsCP
10-06-2010, 01:53 AM
None of this applies to AO2. The mobs aren't really that challenging. Any competent level 45 or higher can pretty much solo most of AO2. Only the bosses present any challenge and some of them can be soloed fairly easily too.

Have you ever played an Archer? I agree with Archers needing to root more. My archer has level 5 Wall and level 1 root and I use them very often. However, knockbacks from your teammates(and yourself for that matter) still affect rooted mobs. So, I can root all day, but any knockback skill will still send mobs flying. Not only that, but once the mob is knocked away they can move right away.

Again I agree with tapping to target key mobs, but you've failed to account for something. Unless you're playing on an iPad, it's a pain to tap individual mobs since the screen is so small. I've sometimes found myself tapping a mob 3-4 times to target it.

Honestly, you lost all credibility with me when you said Stun Tzuy. If you can't even spell the man's name right, I doubt you understand his philosophy.

Arjun
10-06-2010, 03:30 AM
Dude. . . ease up. . .Stun Tzuy was an intentional mis-spell of sorts. . . to give character to the whole lecture. Point to note. This is what used to apply to AO2 way back when it first came out. Then everybody lvld up. . . scored epic loot. . .and can now cruise through the place eyes closed. Even then - crocks had to be neutered via patch by dev's. And that's how it got to be what it is to-day.

Yep I haf played as an archer. Do so most all the time. Cause that is what I haf always want I should be. An archer. With wings. And lasers what shoot from my eyes. Oh. . and x-ray vision. Just incase.

Stomps and fireblast does take away the root factor. You have a point there. However. I usually asks my mage to throw in a lightning strike every now and again.. So Thornwall up and Thornroot single target (whoever you happen to be locked on - if can switch to a main or boss - well and good if no that works as well) if Mage misses on the naturestrike via lightning combo on the thornwall they is sure to hit the single target thus rooted. Try it. . . insist on the lightning strike. Massive enough chunk of damage. Esp when hit on multiple target thornwall.

Note on the ipad. . .tap targeting may be easier. . . but I always thought it more useful with the smaller device and the virtual joystick you can get better movement. So what works for me is - deselecting the default auto-target victim (esp if has been stomped or blasted way back into mob) and run into closest one (or intended target) and attack up front before moving out. Autotarget then selects whichever new target is closest to you. . . Like I said. the smaller devices (iphone/pod) allow for that sort of more aggressive movement. no?

jonboy
10-06-2010, 03:37 AM
Ok so tap yourself to deselect then first hrmm have to try that, I normally try to mash three times to get the right target.

Maybe we should do a few runs with vent and record the strats then podcast them. :)

Arjun
10-06-2010, 03:39 AM
Oooh. . .the Movies. I'm In.

Holy-wood here we come.

We can set it to the Flight of the Valkyries perhaps - Da da da daa da. . . .
Or to the Dream Collapsing. . .yeah . . . tht would be koool. ... .to the fifth lvl I tell you.

Edit: - I will want to borrow a viking helm of Vanx and/or a space suit. Just putting that thought out there.

jonboy
10-06-2010, 03:44 AM
Fully audio not a prob ventrillo can record the voice chat, I'm now just trying to figure out how to record the in game video.

Who else would be game though.

Edit: got to go out for an hour but would you have access to a laptop or desktop with ventrillo on it? I have a 10person server already so we can use that.

Arjun
10-06-2010, 03:46 AM
Ok so tap yourself to deselect then first hrmm have to try that, I normally try to mash three times to get the right target.

Yep yep. . . .AutoTarget stays on. Cause that works well. All you gotta to is go neutral for a second. Leaves you a bit open. But is better than running off into a mob. Also this way - while you got your skates on running helter-skelter (awesome expression used in sentence - coolness factor) all over the place - you got's better chances of catching a mage that just put down some ice for you to stomp or even one that has a mob in a drain will spell. So you get's to hit the combo on top of it all.

Arjun
10-06-2010, 03:48 AM
Fully audio not a prob ventrillo can record the voice chat, I'm now just trying to figure out how to record the in game video.

Who else would be game though.

Eeeek record the convo u say. . .I dont have much of a voice. . . .and the accent . . is all wrong. hahahaha. . . .but video yeah - easy as pie. . . been meaning to mess with one of my idevices to get tht sort of capabilitas. nudge-nudge-wink-wink.

OOOh... i get it. . .audio for soundtrak. . . .nice.

jonboy
10-06-2010, 03:49 AM
Also whilst were at it there has got to be a combo with drain life, yet to discover it though.

Arjun
10-06-2010, 03:53 AM
jonboy - a couple more practice runs. . . .a dress rehearsal . . . .full spacesuit armor. . . . and we should be good to go.

Have not seen you on-line for a bit. . . . tho to be fair have not been on so much myself in the lead up to oasis3. . . should be good to roll this evening IST around 6:45pm which is - ow past 12:15 ur time. Sooo tht prbble won't work wot.

Hmmm. . . will have to contemplate this time zone business some more before we nails it down.

Arjun
10-06-2010, 03:55 AM
Also whilst were at it there has got to be a combo with drain life, yet to discover it though.

Yeahh we need dev's to come clean on combos. Put step-by-step in game guide. . . .increases co-op value of de-game.

ShadowsCP
10-06-2010, 03:56 AM
Mages should be spamming Lightning on groups of mobs. It's the AOE with the least amount of cooldown not to mention the armor break. If you have to ask for it, the mage is not doing his job. Nature Strike is half the reason to use Thorn Wall. Other than that, it stops mob movement for a little bit and gives Warriors some more time to Beckon the mobs back into the corner.

You're missing my point. It's a pain to tap select any target on the smaller devices. Whether you're tapping a mob to switch targets or yourself to de-select your target, you're still trying to tap a small target on a small, crowded screen.

Arjun
10-06-2010, 04:02 AM
Mages should be spamming Lightning on groups of mobs. It's the AOE with the least amount of cooldown not to mention the armor break. If you have to ask for it, the mage is not doing his job. Nature Strike is half the reason to use Thorn Wall. Other than that, it stops mob movement for a little bit and gives Warriors some more time to Beckon the mobs back into the corner.

You're missing my point. It's a pain to tap select any target on the smaller devices. Whether you're tapping a mob to switch targets or yourself to de-select your target, you're still trying to tap a small target on a small, crowded screen.

Not missing nothing bro. . .I hears ya and I agrees with ya. Mage's should be spamming lightning. And heal. . .and whtever else happens to be cooled down whenever possible. And warriors with slashes . . . archers with blast shots. . .screams. . .focus. . .everything and the kitchen sink.

It's just that I have seen more than my fair share of games (instances run in PL) where just the opposite is happening. Even had a couple of Lvl 45 (when it was the cap) just standing their ground on basic attack. I couldnt believe it. . . I was like. . you guy's are not spending imaginary gold and/or saving imaginary mana whilst wasting real world time. I mean I went into old school economics . . .time being the most valuable resource and all tht.

So. . based on those few and far between base experiences. . .we got us as understand the finer aspects of warfare arguing about nothing. S far as I see it. . .we r on the same channel. Should catch up in-game. Add Spartacus/Kalki/Arjuna . . . oh and Swamiboo.

SlipperyJim
10-06-2010, 07:23 AM
Mages should be spamming Lightning on groups of mobs. It's the AOE with the least amount of cooldown not to mention the armor break. If you have to ask for it, the mage is not doing his job.
QFT. Lightning and Heal are the two most oft-used spells in Atropos's spellbook. Both spells are useful in nearly every circumstance. Cast them, love them, and cast them again. :)

TwinkTastical
10-06-2010, 10:57 AM
Im not reading all that, id rather throw away my burrito... but srsly =D if this is about ao2... when was the last time i was in ao2? 2 months ago =D?

Arjun
10-07-2010, 01:17 AM
Ummm yeh. . it's about AO2 updated for AO3. So.

Don't throw away that burrito man. . . eh. . .wht a waste.

Fyrce
10-07-2010, 02:12 AM
I expect my warrior to go in, head for a corner or wall if no convenient corner, pull mobs. Then I expect my bird to thorn/scream, my mage to weakness/nightmare and lightning after thorn and my warrior then roars. All dead. Maybe ice/stomp;blast shot/firestorm. Maybe... Rinse, repeat. This is how you go through halls fast. I expect the warrior, with birdie's help, to keep the sniper pinned and stunned if there is one. I expect the warrior to keep bosses mostly stunned/pinned. Ok, if warrior dies, that doesn't help much, but it ought to work most of the time. Rinse, repeat.

I expect that BEFORE we all walk into mobs, my mage has blessed the party. With BOTH blessings. What's with this one blessing thing...?

I expect a certain amount of thought in choosing which weapons to use and like to see procs.

It is painful to watch groups that do not work this way ... or even close to this way ... It is painful to watch groups gripe about how hard the mobs are when they won't take direction about using their skills. It is really easy to leave this latter type of group to their painfully slow kills. A group that works well works well in both Ao2 and Ao3.

Arjun
10-07-2010, 02:20 AM
Fyrce Fyrce Fyrce -

Jonboy set up a vent server (I didnt knw wht it was till right now) room for 10 I thinks(?)

Join us. . . and together we shall rule the Galyxz!!!

[U2 ShadowCP - and the rest of you wht posted on]. . .