PDA

View Full Version : did you add words to mute filter?

razerfingers
01-22-2012, 08:15 PM
Its making me mad when i get muted once a day just because i use one word thats "offensive" kinda rediculous why cany you just mute people for saying hardcore bad language not like rape i said i got raped in pvp and got muted when before i could say it no big deal but today and yesterday have been horrible it seems..

ninjaduck
01-22-2012, 08:18 PM
You shouldnt be using the word "raped" ingame. End of story. Some people would find that extremely offensive, thats why its filtered.

razerfingers
01-22-2012, 08:20 PM
True but Depends on the context i would think. Because im not going around yelling rape oo i got raped or over using it its not as bad as people bypassing the mute filter with worse words... Just sayin..

Gaddy
01-22-2012, 08:25 PM
I told some dude to stop being pedobear and got muted! I had no idea that would be a muted word!

Piosidon
01-22-2012, 08:25 PM
Well the devs aren't gonna check the chat logs 24/7 and rape is usually in the context of abuse and the activity is illegal and not something people wanna hear

ninjaduck
01-22-2012, 08:26 PM
You missed the point, reffering to an event and saying you got "raped" disgusts me, whatever the "context" may be

razerfingers
01-22-2012, 08:33 PM
Well sorry for wondering about something better than saying "got my a** handed to in pvp today" because i dont use vulgar language ingame so its not as bad as that really if you think about it. And that isnt a muteable offense that i know of..

Piosidon
01-22-2012, 08:35 PM
Well sorry for wondering about something better than saying "got my a** handed to in pvp today" because i dont use vulgar language ingame so its not as bad as that really if you think about it. And that isnt a muteable offense that i know of..
Owned seems much better IMO

razerfingers
01-22-2012, 08:50 PM
Owned seems much better IMO
Well yeah, but i get muted for that and someone in balefort yells a version of the f word that bypasses the mute filter and doesnt get muted well thst word the deffinition isnt illegal the context is bad that people use it in same with the b word yet rape is illegal and the context you use it in sometimes doesnt make it illegal to me though.

WoundedEagle
01-22-2012, 08:58 PM
Rape:
4. an act of plunder, violent seizure, or abuse; despoliation; violation: the rape of the countryside.
5. Archaic . the act of seizing and carrying off by force.

The first three are the ones that are too gruesome to post. But in the case I were to use a past-tense verb in the context you did, I might use:

-Pwned
-Owned
-Destroyed
-Etc. As there are many more.

Not cracking on ya bro. :D

Roc
01-22-2012, 08:59 PM
Definition does not dictate the vernacular. Usage does. If the usage is predominantly in a pejorative sense, then the definition becomes irrelevant. Even if the word chocolate means something that comes from cocoa, if the majority uses it to degrade then the definition becomes null. Also, just because something gets by the filter doesn't make the word any less offensive than when a word is muted. All those who drop <insert letter> bombs by fiddling with spelling and spacing can still face consequences if they are reported.

It is an unfortunate effect of having meanies in society that words retain their cruel connotations regardless of definitions. When you say "rape," context doesn't matter for it to be filtered. Rape so strongly carries with it certain ideas, which in fact match the definition, that the context in which you use it is irrelevant.

/rant over

The extent of my swearing is shoot and darn :o

Delphina
01-22-2012, 09:02 PM
This thread is now closed.