PDA

View Full Version : Before the "4x Power Runs"

adidaman
01-23-2012, 01:50 PM
To start off, this is not a rant/flame/insult thread in any regard. If you want to spend money on elixers, it's your money and I can't tell you not to. This thread is for reminiscing about the old days, when it took hours to gain 10 levels, and when team work was actually an important part of the game. I remember it took me about 3 hours to get from 30-40, and it was a long journey. If anyone has anything they want to add below about how the game was before the "4x users" days, feel free to add. Thanks (:

GELLIO77
01-23-2012, 02:04 PM
ye i remeber lvling to 35 it took me like 3 days of 2-3 hours of playing, was so longgg

Rare
01-23-2012, 02:44 PM
To start off, this is not a rant/flame/insult thread in any regard. If you want to spend money on elixers, it's your money and I can't tell you not to. This thread is for reminiscing about the old days, when it took hours to gain 10 levels, and when team work was actually an important part of the game. I remember it took me about 3 hours to get from 30-40, and it was a long journey. If anyone has anything they want to add below about how the game was before the "4x users" days, feel free to add. Thanks (:

I remember leveling from 0-50 without even knowing elixirs existed. I remember someone telling to I needed to combo pot. So I tried pressing the mana and health pots at the same time. Needless to say, it didn't do anything special. :)

Lowlyspy
01-23-2012, 02:50 PM
I remember the trek from 40-50 during the Trials age. It took SOOOO long, i didnt even know about the elixers until after i hit 50 LOL, when i found out about them I was like "SON OF A *****!!1!1"

but i did quite enjoy the hours of runs held during those 10 levels and the friends i made, many of which I still have the pleasure to be able to talk to today.

Snakespeare
01-23-2012, 03:16 PM
Because I joined in June, by the time I got to Swamps Alien Oasis was out. The Swamps were not nerfed yet. I would go in there and wait... and wait... then get tired of waiting to be joined and try to kite one croc. It was slow going! It was like Shalerockstone Valley solo. Each croc took about three shattering blasts, if not four. And some of them were just killers. You had to pull them out one at a time. Ultimately, I had to go over to Skeller to find people to play with.

And AO2 came out before I got to AO1. By the time I got there, they had nerfed the AO1 drop rates. The player base was much smaller than now. One day a high level player joined me in AO1 and we ran a little and I got a JT leather. He asked where I wanted to play next and I said I wanted to unlock the levels. So we ran all the way, and that was a little like having an elixir. He then gave me about 5 pink items. That was Mampi. I hope he comes back someday.

That's how we did it back then, with higher level players helping lower level players. ViolentSaint also made a thread with suggestions for power leveling. At the time, you could join AO2, but someone had to unlock the second level with you. Then you used 2x XP elixirs that cost 1500 gp. The drops often came to about 1500 gp after liquidating, so that was how the Mynas Generation cam about. They added some Djins to the Halls of Mynas at Royce's suggestion, but the players just moved on to Sandstone Halls.

Another way to power level early on was Zyla Doom's dungeon under the grate outside Balefort. It was added after AO2, I believe. I took a twink in there at level 1 and positioned it on the other side of the wall from where Zyla would spawn. Nobody could kick me. I leveled up to about ten and got a pink by simply standing there for an hour. I deleted that toon immediately just from my own sense of fairplay (but I kept the pink, LOL!. When the devs heard about that exploit, they altered the map! I made another and leveled from 1 up all the way to 19 in that map, but I deleted that one recently.

So really, there has always been some form of power leveling, whether it was help from a high level, 2x XP elixirs for 1500 gp, or entering a respawning/no boot zone. Power leveling in Fang on a 4x, which I did in the last iteration of Snakespeare, did not leave me with a feeling of accomplishment. But YMMV, right?

Whirlzap
01-23-2012, 04:14 PM
Level 1-56 with 1.5prolixirs.

Gaddy
01-23-2012, 08:51 PM
I remember spending 20$ in quarters a pop on GAUNTLET in the video arcades back in the 80s...

Whats your point?

CodyBearr
01-23-2012, 11:21 PM
I remember spending 20$ in quarters a pop on GAUNTLET in the video arcades back in the 80s...

Whats your point?

Lol I was born in 87 so idk what game that is but I bet you had a blast & **** for top score :) haha

CodyBearr
01-23-2012, 11:27 PM
Lol I'm still potless grinding making teams and hours of runs.... But honestly if I had the money I would plat power lv the last lv every time because it takes sooooooooooooo looooooooooong that I wanna take a break from the game for like a month after I hit max lv

Dudjdj
01-23-2012, 11:49 PM
Elixirs are a huge item sts is making off of cause of elite cap so...

WoundedEagle
01-24-2012, 12:02 AM
I just hate how elite the cap is. If it was 50k exp, there would be wayyyy more people going for it. Now that I have no platinum I realize to get to cap you either have to have money to blow or time to waste. I have money, but I'd rather save. I have time, but I would rather spend it outside. I just feel its jank.
'nuff said.

razerfingers
01-24-2012, 12:03 AM
Back in the day of no 4x combos nobody got booted for reason "." Or "elixer run" and my all time favorite they say pot or boot when you join. And the worst boot reason ever is "sorry" haha nayways back on topic

Swampy
01-24-2012, 12:38 AM
I dont use elixers 'cause theres no reason! All the cool looking places and sparkly gear is part of the journey so no need to rush through it...
plus endgame seems a little overrated lately. It seems like theres a lot of pressure getting to the cap!

Spending money ON platinum IN a videogame ISN'T where my money will be going thank you very much.
@Wound's post +1

ItsCas
01-24-2012, 06:11 AM
I just hate how elite the cap is. If it was 50k exp, there would be wayyyy more people going for it. Now that I have no platinum I realize to get to cap you either have to have money to blow or time to waste. I have money, but I'd rather save. I have time, but I would rather spend it outside. I just feel its jank.
'nuff said.

Exactly how i feel word for word, I am 2k into 100k and i have no platinum and would have to do it using 1.5 elixirs. Not that its impossible but i'd actually try to go for elite cap if it was 50k. 10k a day for 5 days? i can just about manage that :p

VVammothehammo
01-24-2012, 06:27 AM
I am making a character with STRICT RULES;
NO MONEY TO BE SPENT (platinum)
NO ELIXIRS

Rare
01-24-2012, 08:21 AM
I am making a character with STRICT RULES;
NO MONEY TO BE SPENT (platinum)
NO ELIXIRS

Hopefully not a new one then!!! :D

Econodeath
01-24-2012, 10:05 AM
I spent most of my time pushing hard and alone from 1 to 48 with no elixers. I didn't even know they existed at the time. I had a hard time with those crocs to. hehehehee for a long time I hated that area.
I spend alot of time there now with people I don't know just healing and buffing players because I know how it felt grinding there. I don't kill for them though as a general rule. Just try to give some tips and keep them from feeling they can't do it. Back on topic though I did use elixers to try and make the cap for shield in nuri's. Missed it by a drop lol. Used elixers through mt fang so I wouldn't miss the cap. Just to say I did it for me. Now I have more time to spend feeling proud and helping others smile and enjoy. Its just my way so basically I can see both sides of the elixer thing.
I say the same as the author of this thread says. Make your own decisions in life and game.
Do what makes you feel good!
Love ya guys.

adidaman
01-24-2012, 10:11 AM
I'm glad to see my thread has sparked a little bit of interest (: anyway, what do you guys think about like 3x elixers or 1.5s? I'd love to hear

Ebalere
01-25-2012, 03:42 AM
I'd like to throw out there for the people that don't want to take the time or money to get to cap, remember it IS an elite cap, meaning, unless you are a very hardcore gamer, it shouldn't be easily obtained. If you ran for say.. 3000 xp a day, you'd cap in a month, not even using dailies, and that's still not what I'd consider hardcore, since some people spend 18 hrs a day in game.

I disagree there's pressure to cap unless you make your own. No one is forcing you to cap, and no one will hate you if you dont. You want to cap because YOU want to cap, right? If they made it any easier, the "real" elite gamers would get bored quicker than they already do. I'm far from as hardcore as some guys, and I did 65-66 in a day on 4x. That means I could have done it in 4-5 days no lix. That's 10+ hrs a day, but that's how much elite players play anyway.

The reason for capping was because I wanted the sparkly bonus, and the armor looked cool. The reason for using 4x is because I came into this update a few days ago and wanted to enjoy capped status for a while before the update, again, my pressure, my choice.

I feel like some of you are trying to say it's too much work, or it's plat required, when it's not. To be ELITE at PL means what? That you're more into PL than the majority. So if the majority of the endgame population is capping, I feel it should be made even harder, like 250k xp. It's not the general average cap, it's what seperates the good from the best. Or it should, anyway. Say the cap was tomorrow, I shouldn't be able to do 60-66 in a matter of hours. That kinda takes away from the people like Whirlz, Codybearr, Pandamoni, and Martintander who are all in the process of capping elixir free or already have.

Just my opinion don't hate, I kinda lost track of where I was going with this, but I think 3x lix should be the highest and the elite level needs about 75% more exp racked onto it. To do that though, I feel that I'd need more than 5 maps to break the monotony. This post has a bunch of points rather than just my actual opinion.

Sorry if this is a little off topic, but take from it what you will.

adidaman
01-25-2012, 08:23 AM
^^ this. If more people had that mindset, pocket legends would be more equally balanced.

Rare
01-25-2012, 09:20 AM
Well, there is some objectiveness to the term "elite cap".

You can either consider, as some do, that it should be difficult to get to, meaning you do it "fast". The term fast is arbitrary. Who knows what fast is?

You can also consider the cap to be a reward for players that continue to grind it out for an extra 10 levels. This is the way I see it. I don't think it has anything to do with being elite. Because lets be honest, there isn't much that is elite about grinding on elixir for a week. Don't get me wrong, a lot of elite players do it. But there are also a LOT of players at the so called "elite" cap that are far from elite.

So maybe we should reconsider the definition of the "elite" cap vanity. In my opinion, the people that continue to play pockets legends beyond the normal cap, that grind all the way to the "elite" cap should be awarded just as much as those that grind with elixirs. While they maybe are not directly contributing financially to STS, they do contribute by keeping activity in the game at a much higher level. When the population is high, more people join, more people play, more people stay.

So... in conclusion, I agree with what WoundedEagle said. Lowering the elite cap would be a great idea.

adidaman
01-28-2012, 03:06 PM
How about the addition of the luck elixer. How do you guys feel about that?

Gaunab
01-28-2012, 07:19 PM
How about the addition of the luck elixer. How do you guys feel about that?

Actually, the 100% reroll elixiers are a nice thing and help alot when farming eg Sewers.

Tho, it's kinda tricky, that they actually will not work in Nuris/Fang, or at least not increase the pink drop rate for elite pinks.
However, this might be a good thing, since it would propably turn pinks too common (like they are really easy to farm in Sewers).

Ihavenokills
01-28-2012, 07:25 PM
it still makes me 'LoL' when i see a capped player with less then 7-8k kills :o

obvious 4x users are obvious

Cahaun
01-28-2012, 07:48 PM
it still makes me 'LoL' when i see a capped player with less then 7-8k kills :o

obvious 4x users are obvious
LOL when I joined PL, it was when elixers cost gold, the originl FH and tutorials rocked, we could buy premium gear in Ursan Weald with gold (Catching up to me yet?), lvls costed about the same as a x4 enhancer, low lvl's lusted the blue bird helms (Lol me), the atmosphere seemed adventerous, AO2 was the longest grind known to players, and getting Cyber Gear was a way to be elite.

Ihavenokills
01-28-2012, 08:09 PM
LOL when I joined PL, it was when elixers cost gold, the originl FH and tutorials rocked, we could buy premium gear in Ursan Weald with gold (Catching up to me yet?), lvls costed about the same as a x4 enhancer, low lvl's lusted the blue bird helms (Lol me), the atmosphere seemed adventerous, AO2 was the longest grind known to players, and getting Cyber Gear was a way to be elite.

unfortunately i started in june 2011 then quit for a while D: so i never got to experience all the awesome features like these.

Cahaun
01-28-2012, 08:19 PM

unfortunately i started in june 2011 then quit for a while D: so i never got to experience all the awesome features like these.
Yea I could buy sweet flaming axes for little than 1,000 gold. I was so mad when they got rid of them and other things.