PDA

View Full Version : This Day in History, 1935 - The First Canned Beer Goes on Sale!

MimeRifle
01-24-2012, 08:23 AM
January 24, 1935. Beer drinkers in Richmond, Virginia were the very first to drink a canned beer. The first 2,000 cans were produced by Gottfried Krueger Brewing Company.

It's frightening to think what would have happened if beer had never been put into a can... something tells me it was bound to happen, only a matter of who did it first.

And talk about nostalgia... who doesn't have a canned-beer story or two? Hmmmm???

I know this much - it's a significant day in history!! Cheers!!! :smiley_simmons:

ninjaduck
01-24-2012, 08:51 AM
You really are quite the historian! LOL! ;D

MimeRifle
01-24-2012, 08:56 AM
Ninja, my friend, "firsts" happen every day... but some firsts are much more significant than others!! :D

Rare
01-24-2012, 09:07 AM
Ninja, my friend, "firsts" happen every day... but some firsts are much more significant than others!! :D

This was a significant first indeed. If it wasn't for slamming natty lights in college, I wouldn't have the appreciation for great beer that i have now.

BodMaster
01-24-2012, 09:18 AM
Wow! Jan the 24th will go in my 'mental diary' for the rest of my life! Thank you for this incite Mime!

BodMaster
01-24-2012, 09:21 AM
Oh yhh and since no one pointed it out... FAIL! :smiley-simmons:

:smiley_simmons:

MimeRifle
01-24-2012, 10:32 AM
Oh yhh and since no one pointed it out... FAIL! :smiley-simmons:

:smiley_simmons:

Oh, your attention to detail is superb Bodman... FailFailFailFailFail on ME! Simmons would be SO p*ssed to know about this!!

BodMaster
01-24-2012, 10:42 AM
Oh, your attention to detail is superb Bodman... FailFailFailFailFail on ME! Simmons would be SO p*ssed to know about this!!

He sure would! Tut tut tut xD

In other news, my auto changed insight-incite, having a whole different meaning....

MimeRifle
01-24-2012, 10:45 AM
He sure would! Tut tut tut xD

In other news, my auto changed insight-incite, having a whole different meaning....

It's kinda funny too, because "incite" is a word I don't use very often (whereas I use "insight" pretty frequently), but I did just yesterday replying to a post here! Hmmm... creepy.

BodMaster
01-24-2012, 10:52 AM
It's kinda funny too, because "incite" is a word I don't use very often (whereas I use "insight" pretty frequently), but I did just yesterday replying to a post here! Hmmm... creepy.

Or.... auto just sux?

Artentreri
01-24-2012, 11:08 AM
Beast ice all the way. Best tasting goat urine I've ever drank.

MimeRifle
01-24-2012, 11:36 AM
I "cut my teeth" on two brands (mainly because they were inexpensive), Old Milwaukee (nicknamed "Old Mil", then slanged to "Old Swill") and Leinenkugel's Original (when they only had one flavor, which we also had a nickname for but it is kinda offensive, so it won't be mentioned).

At the time, although soda pop cans had already changed over to the modern opening mechanism, beer cans still used the "pull-tab" one, which left you with an item in your hand every time you opened one. (They looked like this, for those unfamiliar):

http://i1218.photobucket.com/albums/dd411/mimerifle1/beer-can-pull-tab.jpg

These were used to create large chains by folding the tab of one around the ring of the next one (and so on)... I saw cars decorated with them, xmas trees, etc. These chains are a big part of my personal canned-beer nostalgia.

Piosidon
01-24-2012, 11:43 PM
Wow! Jan the 24th will go in my 'mental diary' for the rest of my life! Thank you for this incite Mime!

It's my PL b-day too haha

Otukura
01-25-2012, 01:32 AM
Thank you for posting, and thanks to David for telling me. Amy gets a thread!

Slant
01-25-2012, 04:35 AM
lol those chains are funny will try it sometime
cheers

BodMaster
01-25-2012, 08:23 AM
It's my PL b-day too haha

Woop! Couldn't have picked a finer PL bday xD